View Full Version : Speakers with RCA jacks?

Raynald
05-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I just picked up a receiver and some speakers at a church sale. The speaker hook ups are RCA type plugs. I tried a regular inteconnect and was rewarded with a nasty blast of noise. That could have been caused by any of a number of possible issues with the receiver, but I did get OK sound out of it by holding regular speaker wire to the inside and outside of the RCA plugs.

Is an interconnect properly wired for this type of speaker hookup or should I make some new wires. If the latter, how? Thanks.

terra1
05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
It would be helpful if you gave the brand and model of the receiver and speaker.

You would use speaker wire terminated with the appropriate RCA connector. I have seen these ready-made at Walgreen's. And Radio Shack has crimp on RCA plugs.

Old Radio Shack receivers had a speaker RCA output option for Main A pair speakers. In fact, they usually had both speaker screw down terminals and RCA jacks as an option for the A speaker pair. You could only use one or the other for one set of A speaker pairs -- not both.

You don't say exactly what you connected, but of course, you do not connect directly to any Aux, Turntable/Phono outputs on the rear of the receiver.

fau5tu5
05-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah pretty common connection (one direction or the other) alot of systems used RCA connections.. but its still a speaker connection. you can either make cables with an RCA Plug adapter as Terra1 mentioned, or if you like them and want to swap out the terminals, its not that hard.. if you are ok with a little solder (2 points) and a tad of modding to mount them..

Raynald
05-09-2009, 05:55 PM
The receiver is a Denon, but nothing like I have ever seen before which is why I picked it up. I will start a thread and post some pics once I get it tested, model is MX-990A. Looks more like Candle or lloyds than any of the Denon I used to sell.

Once I had the receiver I figured I should get some appropriate speakers so I picked up a pair of Realistic Minimus-5. Pure cheese, complete with plastic slotted fake horn type diffuser in front of the tweeter and really thick (barely) perforated grille over the woofer.

The speaker have both types of terminals so I used the srew type on the speakers and touche the wires to the inside and ouside of the jack on the receiver. It worked, but hardly a long term solution. I guess The Source (ex-Radio Shack around here) would be a good source (ouch!) for the wires. I do have some bare RCA jacks somewhere I could probably use if I find them.

Would using an interconnect be a bad idea, even for quickie test?

Sam Cogley
05-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Rat Shack has the RCA speaker cables.

Haileyburian
05-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Raynald - The Source has what you need - speaker wire with RCAs on one end, bare wire at the other - BUT they are something like 22 gauge, 12 feet long and I think 1 per package for something like $15!
The Source also has been clearing out a bunch of decent 14/16/18 gauge speaker wire and crimp-on RCAs at near-silly good prices, so you can make up your own. I have to head to their website in a few minutes, and will edit this post later to add stock numbers if that helps any...

4202457 - RCA PHONO PLUG TO TINNED WIRE ENDS–7.3M (24'), 18 gauge. $12.99
2740383 - Solderless 90-degree phono plugs. Two red, two black. 4 per pack. $0.96
Nothing fancy, no g-p, etc. A few other styles available – check the ‘Clearance Outlet’ link at top right of home page, then ‘In-Store Savings’.

Of course you can (and maybe should if it's a decent set-up) do better, but you can't beat 25 cents each...

Raynald
05-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up. If I cannot find my phono plugs I will check the Source. I have picked up a few good deals in their clearout section.

$12.99 for the pre made wires would be outrageous. That's $2.99 MORE than I paid for the receiver and speakers together!

terra1
05-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I checked out Radio Shack and the solderless phono jacks have a crimp on one side but a useless tiny screw down for the center. I would avoid these and go for the solder type.

You can find these in their parts cabinets among the transistors and capacitors.

$3.99 for a pack of 8 color coded solder-type or $3.99 for a pack of 6 strain-relief black and red. You may consider the gauge of your speaker wire since the strain relief seems to accommodate smaller gauges.

Raynald
05-12-2009, 12:22 AM
I dropped by Access Electronique and picked up 25' of 18 gauge wire for $1.99 and 4 solder type plugs for .35 cents each.

I checked out The Source just in case they had something worthwhile already made up to save me the bother. They had some pretty nice looking 12' cables for about $6 but I was amazed to read the fine print and find out it was 24G wire! And I was thinking my 18 was on the thin side. The funny thing is they had used fancy looking gold plated plugs. Definitely the marketing guys designing that one. They had a 12' 18G single but it was $13. They did have some bags of solder type plugs really cheap in the liquidation section if anyone is looking for some. Bags of 6 and 8 for .96 cents.

I went home and after the world's worst solder job, probably would have gotten me fired from an off-offshore sweatshop, I had my wires. They even work, as does the system, somewhat to my surprise.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Haileyburian
05-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Good stuff Raynald!
The Source is about the only place that many Canadians have for these bits-and-pieces. Wonder what is going to happen now that they seem to be getting out of these lines and when Bell assimilate them? Another push for on-line buying I guess, but it's still neat to walk into an actual store to buy what you want/need...

Raynald
05-12-2009, 10:42 PM
It wont be fun for people in a lot of areas. We are lucky to have Access Electronique nearby. It is what Radio Shack used to be n
and very inexpensive. Prices are often about 20% of (not 20% less) The Source regular prices on small parts. On liquidation The Source is about the same, give or take.

We also have the Active stores. Not sure what they are like these days. I used to work for the former parent company doing purchasing for the stores before they were spun off, but it has been a while and I have not been inside one in years.