View Full Version : RTR speakers

gyusher
08-13-2004, 06:58 PM
I just bought a pair of RTR speakers. . .10in 3 ways that will be mint as soon as I refoam the woofers. . . One surround is just starting to go so I wont try to play them untill I refoam them. . .

Anyone familiar with these. . . I think it said series III on the back. . .it has two knobs for dialing in your bass and treble. . . They had 3 pairs of big speakers, a pair of Altec Lansings that were big but not their best, a pair of big 12in 3 way Sanyos that were unimpressive and these at 39.99 which is high for a Thrift Store. . .Tells you about their condition. . .

I need surrounds. . . . I will pull the woofers to be sure to get the right ones, I am sure they take the "Angled" surrounds. . .

Seems I remember someone here talking about RTR speaks. . .First time for me. . . They look the part. . . I hope for a pleasant surprise. . .

For you mid-Ohio boys the Thrifts are loaded right now with gear. . .I passed on several nice looking pieces. . .

BTW I will post pics tomorrow

bully
08-13-2004, 07:26 PM
A family-owned, American company that made speaker systems and supplied drivers for OEM makers.
Another company that did not long survive the founder.
BIC America has had rights to the "RTR" brand for about 10 years or so.
They made some very nice speaker systems and some so-so systems.

gyusher
08-13-2004, 07:28 PM
I think these were made in the 70s. . .about 60 pounds each. . .
They are vinyl but in excellent condition. . .

mhardy6647
08-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Funny that this thread mentions 'old' and 'new' RTR. Today at the dump there was a pair of RTR Model C's. Big monkey coffins covered in vinyl woodgrain with three generic-looking cone drivers and a piezo horn tweeter. Must be the "after" version of the company, as some threads here in the past have shown and spoken of some pretty nice speakers bearing this brand.

I left 'em there...

bully
08-14-2004, 07:24 PM
The 'real' RTR did use piezos in some of their models. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Bluelobster
08-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I had a pair of those RTR, model III, I think, I threw them away about 3 years ago. I used to think they were "da bomb".
I was just getting into restoring vintage gear and when trying out my handywork I would wonder what all the fuss was about. Then I came across a pair of Klipsch Quartet. The RTR went into the corner and didn't come out until I got tired of tripping over them.
They too had the piezo horn and I made an attempt to upgrade them with a better woofer.

gyusher
08-14-2004, 09:11 PM
these I have are the series IIIB. . . 3 drivers , woofer/mid/tweeter all cones. . . has a foam ring around the mids and tweeters. . .I intend to use them in the garage so I am not too concerned about sound quality as long as they go loud enough to do the Twist. . . Mashed Potato. . . Monkey. . .

. . .FISH. . . . Pony. . . Bugaloo. . .

Waltz. . . Yea Right. . .in the garage. . .

They will fit right in with my Pioneer CS-922As and my big Sansuis, and DLKs among some of the other off breeds out there. . .

gyusher
08-15-2004, 06:36 PM
As promised. . . Soon the woofers will need refoamed, a slight tear in the other one. . .Not great speakers but fine shape for their age, will clean up nicely. . .

gyusher
08-15-2004, 06:37 PM
now for the drivers

gyusher
08-15-2004, 06:40 PM
The tweeter does look kinda silly but I had an old pair very similiar to these new many years ago, made by Pioneer is what those had for a name. . .But they sounded much better than one would think. . .

Larry
08-16-2004, 08:46 PM
I have a pair of Series 3 model 4. Can't seem to find much information on these. As you've learned RTR made speakers for other manufacturers. Before being bought by BIC, they made some interesting and rather large speakers. I can't say that these model 3's are anything to write home about. Mine are OK, but I've put them back in the basement and brought up a pair of large Advents as a replacement. Much better sounding than the RTR's.
Larry

visitor
08-17-2004, 04:13 AM
A friend of mine had a larger pair and at the time I thought they sounded very good.

Fuzzy Lumpkins
08-17-2004, 05:09 AM
I just picked up a set at GW today.

They are HPR-12M Magnums.

These are a 3-way 12" active with cloth surrounds and
12" passives. The cabinets are really solid wood veneer.
These are almost as tall as my HPM-1500's. I figured for
25 dollars they were worth a risk.

gyusher
08-17-2004, 05:23 AM
I think for music in my garage this winter while working on projects they will do fine. . .

Any tips on where to get surrounds for the woofers. I need a pair of angled surrounds. I could make the flat ones work but angled will be easier???

Fuzzy Lumpkins
08-17-2004, 05:39 AM
I believe Parts Express had a kit that included both angled and
flat for 10".

I had it bookmarked but the Parts Express site is really slow right now.

It's back up.

Here is the Link. (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-925)

gyusher
08-17-2004, 05:47 AM
I just got to get off my butt and go looking. . . I had not thought about PE. . .Thanks

gyusher
08-18-2004, 03:58 AM
Man. . . PE is expensive. . . I just ordered the surround kit. . . after taxes, shipping = 32.00 bucks. . . At least you get 4 surrounds. . . and I know they are quick. . .

The woofers are out and the only writing on them is the number
"2428"

Anyone know that woofer. . . Sounds like a part number at MCM??

gyusher
08-19-2004, 05:12 PM
WOW!! Talk about fast. . .The surrounds I ordered yesterday were waiting for me when I got home today. . .Now thats fast. . .

Aldo
08-20-2004, 11:34 PM
I had a pair of RTR's about 4 years ago. Tall floor standing ones with a 12" woofer, 8" mid, and dome tweeter. they sounded great. They had a wrap around grill with solid wood caps at the top and bottom, about 4 feet high. Traded them for Bose 901's.....BIG MISTAKE!!

gyusher
08-21-2004, 09:04 PM
I got the woofers refoamed today. . . . They are ready now but I will wait till morning before putting the juice to them. . .

A member (cant think of who right now) just posted a thread about refoaming a big sub woofer and it helped me a ton. Using alchol to get the sticky mess off helped tremendously. . . Really speeded things up greatly. . .I dont know what that crap turns into over the years but the human mouth cannot pronounce it. . .

Fingers crossed that they are listenable for the garage. I plan to spend a lot of time out there this winter instead of on the kitchen table. . . My wife is about to have a cow. . .better get the camera ready. . .LOL. . .

trevorlane
08-26-2004, 08:10 AM
I have the exact same series (III) RTRs in my Frat house's basement. Although I think the pair we have are an older model. How much is it to have these refoamed anyway?

Wardsweb
08-26-2004, 08:53 AM
The estate sale where I picked up my amps had a pair of RTR speakers. I don't remember the model but they had two grills. The lower one covered a 10 or 12 woofer and matching passive radiator. The upper grill covered an array of tweeters and mids, plus a motorola piezo tweeter horn. Anyone know what these things might be? I'm going back in a couple weeks, and might pick them up or maybe a pair of the Infinity Reference 2.5 that he had two pair of.

Fuzzy Lumpkins
08-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Here is the pair I picked up for 25 dollars.

HPR-12 Magnums.

3-way with a 12" Active with 12" passive with adjustment for mid
and tweeter on back with resetable circuit breaker.

The cabinets are very solid with only the piezo being a drawback.

But for 25 dollars I think they were a steal.

Kamakiri
08-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Same ones I use here at work :)

Fuzzy Lumpkins
08-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Kamakiri
Same ones I use here at work :)

Cool

I am going to try these out in my bedroom since they kind of
match our bedroom set finish-wise.

Wardsweb
08-26-2004, 11:50 AM
The ones I saw looked like those except for the high end where there were more drives; 2 tweets, 2 mids and the piezo horn.

Kamakiri
08-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Mine don't have Piezos, they have phenolic tweeters, and a one piece grille.

gyusher
08-28-2004, 03:25 PM
I have been cleaning out my garage putting my hobby shop back in order.

Just finished refoaming my new RTRs and I have them on stands one on each end of my work bench. Today while final checking my Apt-Holman preamp who's auction closes tomorrow I have been playing vinyl all day today using my new 5160 Oink for power. . .

I have an old easy chair that I sat right in the sweet spot and I dont much care if I never come in from my garage. These guys sound fine. . .Especially tight good clean bass that only a ten inch driver can deliver plus very nice mids, sweet clean highs typical of cone tweeters.

After the refoaming job I now have 60 bucks in a mint pair of RTR series IIIb speakers and I like them. . . Of course they are a good ways from "look at me" speakers but for what I need in that area to listen to while doing my thing on receivers or other gear getting them off the kitchen table, getting them ready to sell they are great.

I think the best thing is since they have no real value for anything other than what I am using them for maybe they will stay put and I can retire my little Minimus 7s that I have been using for the last 20 years for this purpose. . . The big RTRs sound much bigger than the little 7s. . . .