View Full Version : Modular Component systems Model# 683-8320

MRX37
06-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I found these speakers awhile ago. I had planned on selling them since they work, but now that I have a job, I don't need to. I'm wondering if these speakers are any good? They look prettty high end. They're 3 way speakers with tweeter volume controls, and 10 inch woofers. The surrounds are just fine.

I may be getting rid of another set of speakers to make room, and if these MCS speakers are good enough, they may stay with me.

LPMike
06-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I've had a pair of these exact speakers (MCS 8320's) for about 10 years. They were made in the early to mid 1980's and are quality speakers.

I just replaced them with a pair of Dynaco A25's, which are smaller than the 8320's.

My feeling on the 8320's is that they are not junk, but they do have a few drawbacks. The tweeters are a bit too "tweety" and ive never ran them more than 2/3's on the tweeter control. They exhibit shrill highs, but lowering them to 1/2 tends to reduce the quality of the high end. Its a fine balance to getthem "just right" in a given room.

The mid speakers are almost sonically invisible. Ive never really "heard" them in listening. Vocals on this speaker are not prominent, and midrange is rather flat. Nothing to complain about until you compare them to something like a Dynaco A25.

Bottom end on these speakers is very solid and thick. It will rumble your house and your gut. You can feel it.

That being said the entire speaker package is a bit unbalanced. Highs are shrill and finicky, mids are invisible, and lows are a bit too unruly. The bottom end, while thick and deep, can be boomy and out of control at higher volumes. Lowering the bass to compensate usually results in a loss of midrange. The highs are shrill at times, but you *can* get them "just right" with some careful adjustment and speaker angle tweaking.

Overall, Ive been happy with the 8320's. They are good units, but do have their shortcomings. The Dynaco A25s just sound so much better. Far better 'balanced", but the Dynacos dont have the deep thump of the the 8320's bass, and I do miss that.

MRX37
06-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Hmmmm actually one of the reasons I might get rid of my other set of speakers is due to "invisible" mid's

I dunno. I'll have to audition them, maybe play with the equalizer.

dnewma04
06-28-2009, 02:02 PM
LPMike, you start out saying they are not junk, then in your description, pretty much indicate they are junk... shrill tweeters, boomy bass, recessed mids...

Which part do you like?

LPMike
06-28-2009, 04:23 PM
LPMike, you start out saying they are not junk, then in your description, pretty much indicate they are junk... shrill tweeters, boomy bass, recessed mids...

Which part do you like?

Thats a good call, and I agree, that is what my reaction was after I read my post. But in this case, i am simply pointing out the problems with these speakers. The good points are they have a very wide response range with stong highs and deep, solid bass. You can fine tune and adjust them to get them to sound better, and, in lieu of REALLY good speakers (Dynacos, for example), they will fitthe bill for most folks who do not have the money for really great speakers.

As i mentioned, I ran these speakers for about 10 years and was more-or-less content with them... until i really started upgrading my system. After upgrading my TT, my amp, and my ears, the 8320's lost a bit of their value in my system.

I would recommend the speakers to anyone who has sub-par speakers, or to anyone who finds them for a bargain price and needs a speaker upgrade from entry-level to a step above entry level.

Sorry to bash them, i didnt intend for that, but i just like my A25's so much better... (except for the A25's lack of REALLY deep bass)... the 8320's filled in the low end a bit more, at the expense of the aforementioned shortcomings.

EDIT: (add) And as far as them not being junk, they really are not. They are well made and solid and you can really drive the bejesus out of them! They take it all in stride very easily and are very loud. So, I do consider that as proof of a speaker not being junk.

MRX37
06-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I would recommend the speakers to anyone who has sub-par speakers, or to anyone who finds them for a bargain price and needs a speaker upgrade from entry-level to a step above entry level.

Well I garbagepicked them, so I paid maybe 50 cents in gasoline to get em home.

Like I said, I'll audition them, and they look like they could be easily modifiable. They also look kinda cool with their sloping grilles

LPMike
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Well I garbagepicked them, so I paid maybe 50 cents in gasoline to get em home.

Like I said, I'll audition them, and they look like they could be easily modifiable. They also look kinda cool with their sloping grilles

Very cool. I think you'll find them, at worst, to be ok. Please give them a good listen and write a little review here. Id be curious as to your opinion on them. Even if it is completely different than mine!

MRX37
06-28-2009, 07:31 PM
I might hook them up to my Harmon kardon 690i, the best receiver I have, and play a good song through em.

We'll see, maybe tomorrow...

MRX37
06-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Okay, just a quick audition at a moderate volume on my HK 690i receiver. Treble set at the mid point, and bass set a bit past that:

These speakers do indeed have a good bass response. The tweeter pots need cleaning, but I was able to get them to the normal setting, and at higher volumes, I could see them becoming grating. Cleaning, then playing with the adjustment knob on those is definitely necessery.

The mids are weak. They're not invisible, but they are weak. I think I'm going to get inside these and see if anything can be done about that, but first I'll try them on my KR-A57r, which has a 5 band equalizer.

The speakers they may replace are a pair of Ultralinear speakers with White van woofers in them.