View Full Version : Third Day In A Row! Score! Mystery Receiver!

SixCats!
10-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Hi all,

I can't believe this. Sunday, I get a great deal on the Pioneer CS 911's speakers, yesteday...I find a beautiful Technics SA 301 receiver, and today...a nice but unknown (to me) Reciever called a "EICO CORTIN SR 2050". It is made in Korea but is pretty darn heavy and a nice looking (and decent quality made unit). I am guessing that it is a 50 watt per channel per the 2050.
I just got in and hooked her up with the head phones and all systems seem to be working fine. The unit is in very good/clean condition but I will nevertheless detail her inside and out!
Anyone ever hear of EICO? Man...there scores in three days.
Oh...I paid about $16.00 for the unit. SixCats!

Thatch_Ear
10-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Eico was a an electronics kit building manufacturer that made all kinds of test gear ad well as great audio kits in the 50s and 60s. Like Heath Kit.

SixCats!
10-30-2002, 06:22 AM
Hi Thatch_Ear,

Thanks for your response. I have heard of a company whos name I though was EICO...but I thought they made Tube amps and was for England? I think it was EICO. Could be I am all confused and it sounds like Eico. Thanks,
SixCats!

mhardy6647
10-30-2002, 08:47 AM
EICO stood for Electronic Instrument Company and they were on Long Island (say it like a Long Islander)... They made absolutely wonderful tube amps (some of the best iron ever) such as the HF12 (mono) or the HF81 (stereo) EL84pp integrated amps. My first ever hi-fi used an EICO HF52 mono integrated with Chicago OPT and Mullard EL34's. Dang I wish I still had that :-(

The Cortinas were EICO's last gasp, probably dating from the early 1970's. I believe they too were available as kits, but sounds like yours was factry assembled (in Korea?!). Probably nothing special... but keep your eyes open for any EICO tube hardware (made some nice tuners and R to R tapedecks in the 50's-60's).

Bob Higgins has an excellent little site on EICO at:

http://users.rcn.com/fiddler.interport/EICO.HTM

Hope this helps.

Shain
10-30-2002, 10:01 AM
I wish someone would make kits again.

Would be fun to build stuff like the Dynaco, Heathkit, EICO gear.

I've seen a few of the kits (unbuilt) for sale, .......they go for big dollars in the virgin form!

SixCats!
10-30-2002, 07:06 PM
Hi mhardy,

Thank you for you help. I did infact find the site you provided a link to. I knew the Ecio name sounded familiar! I will keep my eyes open for the tube gear! Thanks again. SixCats!

Thatch_Ear
10-30-2002, 07:12 PM
Yes, Nice site! Thanks for sharing it with us.

oldtubes
10-30-2002, 07:47 PM
SixCats,

My first receiver (still have it) is an Eico Cortina 3570. It is a late 60's vintage solid state FM only receiver. It only has 15 watts rms per channel. They were a very wide band designed amp with a frequency response of 5Hz to 100kHz +/- 1.5db. Mine I made from a kit but in the 60's they were still US made. In a 1980 buyers guide I found a reference to an Eico amp SA-3080 with 80 watts continous for $269.95.

Brian
10-30-2002, 08:09 PM
The little Cortina, these are physically small, smaller then the KLH 52, was a nicely made series, especially in the integrated amp and tuner configuration. The receiver made for some really nice music. We used to sell these with 12" Jensen tri-ax speakers in Jayell cabinets.

SixCats!
10-30-2002, 08:14 PM
Hi OT and Brian,

Sweet...you build it yourself in the 60's and still have it...thats is fantastic! I guess my Eico being made in Korea is toward the end of the Eico line. Nevertheless...this receiver (I am guessing) is about 50 watts per channel...is in beautiful condition and sounds nice. I still can't believe that people give away stuff like this but...I am glad they do! lol Thanks for your help. SixCats!

mhardy6647
10-31-2002, 02:52 PM
In response to a comment above on the dearth of reasonably priced hi-fi kits, let me point out that there are still some! A highly biased sample:

Doc Bottlehead's Paramour 2A3 SET monoblocks. Got 'em, love 'em! www.bottlehead.com

S-5 Electronics 11MS8/11BM8 pp stereo amp. cute and cheap
http://s5electronics.com/gpage1.html

Consonance series of kits: look nice for the $$$
www.diycable.com