70salesguy
07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Does no one have one of these?

rotovator
07-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Never heard of it. And I quite know most of the decks out there,

Celt
07-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Wow! That thing looks tiny! Does it use microcassettes? :)

jdurbin1
07-31-2009, 04:27 PM
One would think, from that picture.

I don't know the WA9ES myself, but have a TC-WR99ES which is also a TOTL dual Sony ES deck. It's not bad actually, I wouldn't rate it in the same class as my Naks or Tandberg decks and have never spent any time using it for recording but it does a solid job of playing back tapes. I probably wouldn't use it at all with those other decks available, but it has the Control S cable to integrate it with my DST whole-house system so I can run it by remote from other rooms. With two decks and autoreverse, you can get a lot of play time out of it without changing tapes. I had my CR7-A connected before using IR link but the latency on control input made that a PITA to use.

John

P.S. Here's a pic of the WR99ES for reference

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=344&pictureid=2752

70salesguy
07-31-2009, 06:38 PM
I found a bigger picture of it and an intensive search shows several recording studios that list it in their complement of equipment. It appears that it may be the last of the Sony ES Series Cassette Decks.

Here's a link to a picture and specs.

http://user.cybrzn.com/tjoker/Pictures/sony/misc/sony%20tc-wa9es/Sony_TC-WA9ES_Dual_Cassette_Deck.html

The specs are pretty impressive.

jdurbin1
07-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Should be members here that own one... if you google search AK using the model #, there are a few hits including people that include it in their equipment owned list.

John

70salesguy
07-31-2009, 10:06 PM
I found a post where a member by the name of "Fuster" stated that he had one, but he hasn't posted since March.

I believe in a day or two, the TC-WA9ES will be mine. :yes:

terra1
07-31-2009, 10:15 PM
When I was looking at the WAXES series because they were dual deck with Dolby S -- I was quite impressed. I usually saw the 7ES or maybe the 8ES, rarely a 9ES. And they were available comparatively cheap because of the bad rap for dual decks I suppose.

I believe the Owner Manuals are online. They'll cover or mention another series and models within the manuals, and some have pitch control which I thought was cool.

70salesguy
07-31-2009, 10:25 PM
It's my understanding that there are a lot of controls behind the drop-down front panel, including pitch control, as you mentioned. I believe it is self-calibrating for the proper bias.

I wasn't particularly wanting a dual cassette unit, but searching keeps producing information that indicates this may have been the last ES Cassette deck that Sony produced, but nothing definitive.

bastek
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
I just put mine in use, after months of storage when i saw this thread.
I' m not a dual deck guy and not into electronic eject controls, i feel better with two 3 headers on my stand. The auto reverse was squeaky at first, but after a few tries it came around to working ok. Rec and PB quality is great, almost as good as my 3 head decks, but construction is a little flimsy, not as heavy as my other decks. A complicated unit with many control options.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/salamalekos/PICT0161.jpg

kgl936
08-03-2009, 07:34 AM
I have a couple of TC-WR901ESs I use frequently for their tandem record function to record long radio broadcasts unattended. The 901ES has Dolby S and came a few years before the WA9ES. I think the 901 is a decent auto-reverse deck and it makes tapes that sound great on my TC-KA3ES.

I tried to find a WA9ES for a while but never found one that wasn't beat to death. Also, the WA9ES was lighter and seemed a bit less well-built physically compared to my 901s so I let the idea go. I don't consider that to be a determination of sound quality in Sony decks though, as my TC-KA3ES is about half the weigh of my older TC-K730ES but substantially better sounding.

This is probably of no use to you and just me rambling, though... Enjoy your WA9es when you get it and let us know what you think of it!

-Kevin-

TAGO MAGO
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I just put mine in use, after months of storage when i saw this thread.
I' m not a dual deck guy and not into electronic eject controls, i feel better with two 3 headers on my stand. The auto reverse was squeaky at first, but after a few tries it came around to working ok. Rec and PB quality is great, almost as good as my 3 head decks, but construction is a little flimsy, not as heavy as my other decks. A complicated unit with many control options.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/salamalekos/PICT0161.jpg

Interesting looking deck, but I have had way too many full logic Sony decks go completely wonky, acting as if they were possessed. I could do without the control options and find electronic eject to be gimmicky and unnecessary. That said, the ability to adjust the dubbing level is a nice touch.

70salesguy
08-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I have it!!!

It is literally brand new!!!

I'll try to post pictures and a report tomorrow night.

:banana:

bastek
08-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Well? I take it you're overwhelmed by the decks complexity?

70salesguy
08-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Well? I take it you're overwhelmed by the decks complexity?

That certainly COULD be the case! :D

This unit definitely has a plethora of functions. I have only had the chance to play with it for just a little bit, and haven't yet made a recording with it.

I will try to get pictures and post them today.

I've had 2 things going on this week that have kept me from having any time for the new Sony. This week was the week that we made to "swapover" to a new Digital Telemetry System for one of my Public Utility customers, and required working long days every day of the week to complete all the essential work with minimal disruption to the system.

The other was that I have acquired a major component that I have desired for 30 years! It requires a little cleanup and minor work, but otherwise it is in excellent condition. I will post a thread about it once I have it properly cleaned up!

70salesguy
08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Here are the pictures of my new Sony TC-WA9ES cassette deck.

It is literally new. The gentleman that I purchased it from works for a large national retailer of stereo gear, and has asked me not to mention their name. When the unit was discontinued, the existing stock of units were sold at a greatly discounted price. He received an additional employee discount and as he told me, "it was too good a bargain to pass up". :yes:

He told me that once he got it home, he just didn't use it, as CDs were the current medium and it sat unused. It eventually was put into a closet where it stayed until his wife ( a truly charming woman, I might add ) suggested that they sell it.

I became aware of it, we negotiated a deal for what I consider to be a bargain price for this unit, and the deal was then completed.

I must say, I am quite fond of my Pioneer CT-F750, which I have had since purchased new, but as great as it looks with my other vintage Pioneer Silver-Series gear, it looked "out of place" with my Crown gear, Sony ES CD Player and Rabco ST-8.

I wanted to keep a cassette deck in my system for the obvious reasons, being able to play my old tapes as well as the many prerecorded tapes that I have picked up for next to nothing at yard sales.

When I am a little less busy with work, I am looking forward to making some recordings with it and reporting back.

terra1
08-09-2009, 06:40 PM
In case you don't have the owners manual:
http://www.docs.sony.com/reflib/docget.asp?manualid=12008&template_id=&region_id=1&DL=',600,560,10,10,'Manuals'

BrocLuno
08-09-2009, 06:46 PM
If you have to have two wells, this is the way to go :)

08-09-2009, 08:15 PM
If you have to have two wells, this is the way to go :)

I tried for a year to get one of these when I worked at Sony, finally had to settle for the TC-WR90ES. About the same except only one Dolby setting for both decks... Mine also sat unused for years while CD's were the preferred medium. Only had maybe ten tapes through it till this year, now it's probably had closer to 50, I cleaned it for the first time only 2 months ago!

I picked up a Denon DRW-850 that seems to have a VERY similar transport at a GW for $10, the right well has a noisy motor, but plays just fine. The lack of motorized eject seems a little cheesy at first, after getting used to it on my Sony...

mhedges
01-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Are you still enjoying this deck? I have one on its way to me. Should have it in a couple of days!

Mark

70salesguy
01-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Are you still enjoying this deck? I have one on its way to me. Should have it in a couple of days!

Mark

Yes, I am!

It gets pretty light use, as I am primarily a RTR guy, but I am very impressed with it. It mostly does duty to playback commercially recorded tapes.

Post here with pictures of yours when it arrives and let us know how you like it.

mhedges
02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I received my WA9ES the other day. It is a nice deck! It has much less mechanical (solenoid-like) noise than my WR87ES and quick-reverses much faster. I will try to post some pics tonight.

Have you used the auto bias feature? I didn't realize this deck did this until I started looking closer at the manual.

Mark

mhedges
02-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Here are some pics. Mine is in good but not mint cosmetic condition, with some scratches on the top and a couple of nicks on the front top edge.

The decoration is a little different from 70salesguy's - there is no "ES" badge on the front panel. From the pictures I have seen, it seems like most units did not get the "ES" badge mark. 70salesguy - can you tell me what your serial number is?

Here are some pictures of the front, as well as a gut shot and gut shots of my WR97ES and WR87ES. It is quite similar to the WR97ES. The WR87ES looks practically empty in comparison!

My only complaint is that the indicator dot on the recording level knob is not lit (unlike the WR97ES). Silly I know but I like lights!

Mark

70salesguy
02-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Have you used the auto bias feature? I didn't realize this deck did this until I started looking closer at the manual.

Mark

I hate to admit this, but I have yet to record a tape on it! :o

My unit may be a little newer than yours, I don't know. :dunno:

I will check the s/n tomorrow and post it here.

bastek
02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Mine don't have the gold ES stamp, serial # 5A 800260, I'm sure they are all identical made in Japan units, does yours have the dim FL display problem?

mhedges
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Mine is SN 800288. The display seems nice and bright to me. Can you tell me a little more about this problem?

Mark

bastek
02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Many WA9ES were custom installed, and power was on 24/7, to gain access to remote functions of the deck with universal RF remotes. As a result the Fl display got dimmer after a few years, but the elements not displayed often are still bright (like Dolby C and S indicators). Not all Sony decks exhibited this dimming display problem.

BlazeES
02-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Historically there have been a number of pieces branded as "ES" that simply were not. It's more a of a marketing ploy to continue to use the "logo" than anything else. The ES line of products that were designed and built to the "elevated stardard" were really on the way out as early as 1998. Cost reduction was the name of the game, with chassis construction diminished, discrete component selection opened to wider toleranced parts, power transformers grandfathered in from the lower tiered products and many enhanced features removed. I've yet to find an ES Product Line brochure that contains the WA9ES model, which should have been roundabout 2002 - 2003.

mhedges
02-04-2011, 02:27 PM
BlazeES - I know what you mean. Many of the ES cassette decks are just rebadged non-es units. For example the KA1ESA is the same as the TC-KE500S. However the WA9ES (which dates from 1995 according to the manual) is a true ES piece. It is the last true TOTL dual deck they made, and the successor to the WR90ES/WR97ES/WR99ES/WR901ES units.

Mark

BlazeES
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
BlazeES - I know what you mean. Many of the ES cassette decks are just rebadged non-es units. For example the KA1ESA is the same as the TC-KE500S. However the WA9ES (which dates from 1995 according to the manual) is a true ES piece. It is the last true TOTL dual deck they made, and the successor to the WR90ES/WR97ES/WR99ES/WR901ES units.

Mark

If it is from 1995/96 I'm pretty sure it's not listed with the TC-KA1 thru 3's...I'll dig back through my catalogs and see what I can find.

Not picking on it btw, I'm sure it's a good deck - just not what most would call a "real" ES piece. Some would argue that anything after the (US) 1992-1994 ES catalog lineups is foogazzi...but I think it's more a question of what got cost reduced and what the net effect was to performance. The KA3 is a good example of that - it still has the base transport and heads but many peripheral considerations were cost reduced...from the power section, to the reduced mass and stiffness of the chassis all the way down to higher averaging VU's and removal of CD direct connections.

70salesguy
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the TC-WA9ES was the last ES series Cassette Deck that Sony built.

BTW, the s/n of my unit is 7A 801509

mhedges
02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the TC-WA9ES was the last ES series Cassette Deck that Sony built.

BTW, the s/n of my unit is 7A 801509

It is certainly the last TOTL dual deck they made. They came out with the WA7ESA and WA8ESA decks after the WA9 but those can hardly be considered true ES pieces. They are basically re badged non-ES gear, and weigh about half of what the WA9ES weighs.

Mark

bastek
02-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Well, the flimsy chassis construction of the WA9ES despite the impressive specs does not convince me that its a true ES unit. I also have a TC-K730ES and there is no comparison. All components from transformers to knobs to feet are on a Elevated Standard on the 730ES.

70salesguy
02-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Well, the flimsy chassis construction of the WA9ES despite the impressive specs does not convince me that its a true ES unit. I also have a TC-K730ES and there is no comparison. All components from transformers to knobs to feet are on a Elevated Standard on the 730ES.

So who appointed you "ES Sheriff of the House"? :D

Lighten up, it's not like I glued an ES emblem on it or anything!

stereofanboy
02-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Where does the TC-WR9ES fall in all this? I've kept an eye out for information on it ever since getting one awhile back, but never see or hear anything about it.

02-05-2011, 02:38 AM
...but I think it's more a question of what got cost reduced and what the net effect was to performance...

All the Sony engineers that I knew held dim views of this practice, and feared the day when their project would get the dreaded "cost-a-down" treatment. "Why did you put shields on the audio board, but not on the servo board, can't we just leave them all off?" "Why did you use this expensive DAC, when this 15 cent part will work?"

mhedges
02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Where does the TC-WR9ES fall in all this? I've kept an eye out for information on it ever since getting one awhile back, but never see or hear anything about it.

Couldn't say for sure but since it has a 9 in the model name then it is probably a top of the line unit. The only info I could find was that it appeared to date from 1988 or so.

Does it have a three motor transport or motorized well doors? Do you know the weight spec? Most of the TOTL dual decks weighed in at 16lb 9oz including the wood sides.

Mark