View Full Version : 44 year old bottle of whiskey, ok to drink?

TomG
08-07-2009, 05:15 PM
My penny pinching cousin gave me a bottle of Canadian Club , seals on bottle say 1965! he don't drink and probably had this hanging around forever. Do you think its safe to drink?

Mystic
08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
http://stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/18670

Results may vary.

TomG
08-07-2009, 05:33 PM
thanks Mystic,I might have to man up and do a taste test

Mystic
08-07-2009, 05:54 PM
thanks Mystic,I might have to man up and do a taste test

After first checking that it "has not developed an off odor, flavor or appearance", of course. :D

Bogframe
08-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I once got three bottles of Wilson's that were put away in 1962 as a tip for cleaning a mural. They were as sooth as a baby's butt. After they were gone I bought a new bottle that wasn't nearly as good.

Sam Cogley
08-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I have a bottle of Crown and another of Seagram's that I raided from my parents' dusty liquor shelf. Both have intact tax seals from 1976 - two years older than me. :D

joshuahhhhhhh
08-07-2009, 06:56 PM
long as it isn't cloudy should be cool it wont get any better once you crack it open whiskey can oxidize pretty quickly unless they used an iron free water source at the time.

MAXZ28
08-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Drink up...I can't imagine it being any different than a bottle of wine which gets better with age. Just don't open it up and then let it sit for 44 years between consumptions.

:beerchug:

finnbow
08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Unopened, it should be fine.

As an aside, when I lived in Germany (~1980), I bought several bottles of Scotch and Rum from WWII that were still fine. The story on these bottles was as follows:
The liquor (in barrels) belonged to the British in North Africa in WWII and was stored in casks/barrels. It was captured by the Germans and relocated to Sicily and bottled in wine bottles with corks for future use by German troops. It was subsequently captured by the Allies in southern Italy. It ended up in storage and forgotten until ~1980 and was marketed by the U.S. Military in their Class VI stores in Europe with nice commemorative labels providing the history. I bought 2 bottles each of rum and scotch.I ended up drinking them all over the following couple of years and they were still fine. I probably should have kept them for an investment, but enjoyed drinking a piece of history.

Think about it. A modest red wine (<15% alcohol) can easily last 7-10 years with a cork closure. An excellent red can go over 50 years with good storage. Whiskey (~40%) with an airtight closure can surely go much longer.

TomG
08-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks Guys, I opened it up. The cap was not on tight at all which worried me but looks real clean, ( no sea monkeys) and most important , it taste like it should also. Surprised it didn't evaporate! TG

joshuahhhhhhh
08-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Glad it all went down well for ya Tom

bentpencil
08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks Guys, I opened it up. The cap was not on tight at all which worried me but looks real clean, ( no sea monkeys) and most important , it taste like it should also. Surprised it didn't evaporate! TG
Glad to hear it!

The only other thing that might happen is that your whachamacallit could fall off, but that takes a few days.................:thmbsp:

dumptruck
08-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Ha. Happy drinking. Whiskey won't age in the bottle, at least not in a good way. Once it goes in, an air leak or a lot of UV light will make it taste weird, but otherwise not a thing will happen. Pretty stable stuff. I was at a liquor store in Jersey City once (shutup, sometimes you end up in Jersey City), and they were trying to sell a 35 year-old bottle of Johnny Walker Red for $70. I chose the bottle that hadn't been baking in a liqour store for 35 years and only cost $23.

TomG
08-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Glad to hear it!

The only other thing that might happen is that your whachamacallit could fall off, but that takes a few days.................:thmbsp:

No big deal,I'm married

whoaru99
08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
The deal is done...and it's proven fine.

I've always heard that liquor doesn't get better/age once it's put in the bottle, unlike some wines.

TomG
08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I don't think it got any better. But I don't think its any worse either.

a_retent
08-07-2009, 11:33 PM
The deal is done...and it's proven fine.

I've always heard that liquor doesn't get better/age once it's put in the bottle, unlike some wines.

Yup, distilled spirits stop maturing once bottled unlike most wines which mature quite nicely after bottling. One other thing, some whiskey and scotches which are NOT chill filtered will turn cloudy when exposed to cold but should clear once it warms up again.

jimfet
08-08-2009, 07:35 AM
It should taste better with every sip. The last guzzle should taste great.

eteller
08-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Once had a room mate who had a mason jar with amber liquid in it,labeled paint thinner in the workshop. Turns out it was 12 yr old scotch, kept me from touching it :D

TomG
08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
some pics

tentoze
08-10-2009, 01:01 PM
If it had been anything but CC, I probably would have advised you to drink it.

cabinover
08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
It mixes OK with Ginger but not quite as good as Crown. :D

guitarslam
08-10-2009, 01:39 PM
IMO, the only good thing about CC is in the name itself.
Never liked the product - too hard on the gut.

gimme Wisers, Gibsons, Crown Royal, or Alberta Springs.

cwall99
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
No big deal,I'm married

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

jocko_nc
08-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I found box of South Carolina mini-bottles at my wife's grandma's house, Crown Royal with a 1963 tax stamp. Just fine.

onepixel
08-11-2009, 01:30 AM
hehe... that reminded me to check my little liquor bottles. Found a 45 year old bottle of CC and Seagram's V.O.

Hic... not bad. :D

zenith2134
08-15-2009, 07:07 PM
When my grandmother (born in the 1920's & had bars in the family) passed away in 2003, me and my family all helped out with cleaning out the house and securing the estates, etc...well she wasn't a drinker and neither was my granddad but they kept a sizable closet of booze " for guests " and I never even believed that until we cleaned it out. Many, many unopened bottles of antique hooch but of course some opened ones as well.

My mother forbade me or anyone else from trying to take any, and we had a huge argument. The result? It all got a first-class trip to the town's wastewater treatment facility:thumbsdn: Freakin' shame. I still think about that all these years later. I did get her to admit now that it was an assanine thing to do.

TomG
08-16-2009, 11:45 AM
When my grandmother (born in the 1920's & had bars in the family) passed away in 2003, me and my family all helped out with cleaning out the house and securing the estates, etc...well she wasn't a drinker and neither was my granddad but they kept a sizable closet of booze " for guests " and I never even believed that until we cleaned it out. Many, many unopened bottles of antique hooch but of course some opened ones as well.

My mother forbade me or anyone else from trying to take any, and we had a huge argument. The result? It all got a first-class trip to the town's wastewater treatment facility:thumbsdn: Freakin' shame. I still think about that all these years later. I did get her to admit now that it was an assanine thing to do.

That story made me cry! shame

BOUXY
08-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Drink nothing but 35-50 year old whiskey myself.A bit pricey but it is worth it straight up on the rocks................mmmmmm mmmmmm.....GOOD!

BigNate
08-18-2009, 12:21 AM
...they were trying to sell a 35 year-old bottle of Johnny Walker Red for $70. I chose the bottle that hadn't been baking in a liqour store for 35 years and only cost $23.

I used to live near a liquor store that sold a fifth of Johnny Walker black label for about $30. But up by the counter they sold shrink-wrapped 12-packs of the little 1.75 oz. shot bottles for something like 15 or 16 bucks. I did the math one day (12x1.75 oz.= 21oz.) A fifth is 25.4 oz.

Needless to say, I had a lot of tiny Johnny Walker bottles in my trash can after that. Wish I still lived near that store.

a_retent
08-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Drink nothing but 35-50 year old whiskey myself.A bit pricey but it is worth it straight up on the rocks................mmmmmm mmmmmm.....GOOD!

At that age I wouldn't pollute it with anything... NEAT would be the oooonnly way to go. :D

MR_B
08-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the mental prodding guys. I assume we're all guys here.
Bought a half gallon of 12 year old Chivas Regal in 1974/5 on a ski trip to Smugglers Notch. Vowed I would open it on my wedding day, thinking I would marry the girl I was with at the time. Great girl.
Here we are in 2009 and I still have the bottle, unopened. Looking at it right now thinking that that amber liquid would be so fine to indulge in.
Oh well, a vow is a vow. (Unless you're a lawyer)

kneeOhFight
08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Bought a half gallon of 12 year old Chivas Regal in 1974/5 on a ski trip to Smugglers Notch. Vowed I would open it on my wedding day, thinking I would marry the girl I was with at the time. Great girl.
Here we are in 2009 and I still have the bottle, unopened. Looking at it right now thinking that that amber liquid would be so fine to indulge in.
call your buddies up, have em over for poker and drink it dry... gettin mairried don't have a thing to do with that fine bottle of spirits....if anybody on the face of this earth deserves to enjoy that stuff, its surely you....

MR_B
08-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the support Knee... I'll consider that.
Maybe I should drop in on my way to Charlottesville in Sept. to discuss it further.

Russellc
08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Good lord guys, its a bottle of Canadian Club for crying out loud. As to the original question, no its not OK to drink.....not b/c of the age, but b/c Canadian club, well, ah.....it tastes like piss.:D

Russellc

Russellc
08-25-2009, 08:04 AM

I am a Lawyer, and I have your solution. Set your date for your "Wedding day" based on when you would like to open it. On that day, open it. You didnt say "The day you actually got married", just your wedding day. :tresbon: when you actually screw your life up by getting married, you'll want something stronger than scotch anyway......just say'n

Russellc

TomG
08-25-2009, 11:57 PM
I have a friend who says he is getting married in May, I asked ,"May what?". He says.
May that day never come!

Russellc
08-26-2009, 08:16 AM
I have a friend who says he is getting married in May, I asked ,"May what?". He says.
May that day never come!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

russellc