View Full Version : Yaqin MC-10L with Soviet NOS 6P3S-E Military Tubes

MWalt
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
The bottom line is this: the Russian 6P3S-E Military Tubes are good and for the money, they are fantastic.

I wish to express many thanks to Mike Samara for all of his help and guidance. This tube is everything he claimed it was.

BadassBob
10-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Im hoping my set arrives this week. I cant wait to run them head to head with the SED EL34 and the 6CA7EH in my MC-10L. The results will be posted in this thread after I let them break in for ~50 hours or so.

persil
10-04-2009, 03:33 AM
I have taken advice and took delivery of two quads of these tubes, out of Russia from two different suppliers. one quad has a metal base the other the thin plastic base.
Well both of the quads seem to fit electrically, producing no unusual voltages or loadings. the thin plastic based quad are a very tight fit mechanically, one valve in particular!

Sonically the thin plastic based quad is head and shoulders over the metal based ones, they are better matched on my tester, look a better constuction and sound really sweet. They compare very well to the NOS Mullard EL34s and imo are sonically very superior to the new manufactured EL34s.
I am so impressed I have ordered a large box of these for futuere use!

I cannot say for certain as I have not carried out any load tests but I have an idea that the output is down a little, not that this should be a problem because the MC10 is no slouch in the output stakes!

MWalt
10-04-2009, 08:05 AM
I have taken advice and took delivery of two quads of these tubes, out of Russia from two different suppliers. one quad has a metal base the other the thin plastic base.
Well both of the quads seem to fit electrically, producing no unusual voltages or loadings. the thin plastic based quad are a very tight fit mechanically, one valve in particular!

Sonically the thin plastic based quad is head and shoulders over the metal based ones, they are better matched on my tester, look a better constuction and sound really sweet. They compare very well to the NOS Mullard EL34s and imo are sonically very superior to the new manufactured EL34s.
I am so impressed I have ordered a large box of these for futuere use!

I cannot say for certain as I have not carried out any load tests but I have an idea that the output is down a little, not that this should be a problem because the MC10 is no slouch in the output stakes!

What do you set bias at? I have mine at 50ma, but am unsure if this isn't too much. Also, what year were yours produced? It should have a date stamped on it. Mine are the 1989 version. I was told that sonically there is no difference between those made in 1981 and the same tube built in the 60's. Not sure about my 1989's, but they sure sound nice.

Stewie
10-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I second that emotion. Terrific tubes at a great price--thanks Michael.

bronco
10-04-2009, 12:00 PM
The bottom line is this: the Russian 6P3S-E Military Tubes are good and for the money, they are fantastic.

I wish to express many thanks to Mike Samara for all of his help and guidance. This tube is everything he claimed it was.

Agree 100% with everthing in your post !

LinuxManiac
10-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Having enough experience with 6P3S & 6P3S-E I agree too. 6P3S-E is more mechanically strong (shock loads & vibration loads) than 6P3S. First one makes more tout sound, being perfect for the rock performance. Sound of 6P3S is a bit warmer and airy.

persil
10-04-2009, 01:05 PM
What do you set bias at? I have mine at 50ma, but am unsure if this isn't too much. Also, what year were yours produced? It should have a date stamped on it. Mine are the 1989 version. I was told that sonically there is no difference between those made in 1981 and the same tube built in the 60's. Not sure about my 1989's, but they sure sound nice.

I allways set bias on the low side, with these valves I came down to 45ma. seems OK?
If I remember correctly they are 1981 production (the thin plastic base quad) and 1972 (the metal based quad).
As I mentioned before the metal based ones did not test up so well on my avo tester, No way would I say they would match and in the MC10 they did not sound that good! They are probably great valves, but not in my MC10 (IMO that is).

cornhulio
10-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Mark, your ak mailbox is full. I sent you a email.

Ty_Bower
10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
These are great tubes - I like them a lot. I've only used the coin based 6p3s-e, never the other kind. I've been told the coin base are the "good ones." They will handle plenty of volts, but keep the total dissipation under twenty watts if you want them to stay happy.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/th_P1110495.jpg (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/P1110495.jpg) http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/th_P1110488.jpg (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/P1110488.jpg) http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/th_P1100543.jpg (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/P1100543.jpg)

MWalt
10-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I would like to know if there is any difference between the plastic coin based 1981 stamped 6p3s-e and the plastic coin based 1989 stamped 6p3s-e. Mike Samra had stated that he heard no difference between the 1981 version and the late 60's version of the same tube. I have the 1989 stamped version. I am waiting for BadassBob to give me his opinion of how his 6p3s-e's stack up against his SED EL34 and the 6CA7EH in his MC-10L. He bought the same 6p3s-e tubes from the same vendor that I did. Mike Samra seemed to think that there should be no difference between the 1981 and the 1989 version becuase both were pre-Gorbacev vintage.

Looking forward to hearing your results, Bob! :yes:

BadassBob
10-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I should have them soon, they were shipped out this past Monday. Are you still biasing yours at 50ma Mark? Im going to start around 35ish and work my way to 50.

MWalt
10-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I should have them soon, they were shipped out this past Monday. Are you still biasing yours at 50ma Mark? Im going to start around 35ish and work my way to 50.

Right now they are at 50ma (.50v) on the MC10L. I did what you are doing by starting out at 35 and working my way up. I do believe that Mike is right aabout 50 being optimum because the waveform inceases, headroom increases, and clipping starts way later. I think that these are some pretty tough tubes that can take some serious abuse. I have had ZERO issues to date.

BadassBob
10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
The mail man delivered a package to my employer today :D. Sucked, because it came early and I had to sit there staring at the box for 8 hours today. After a long wait, my new set of 6P3S-Es finally came in. These babies are fat compared to the EL34....they damn near fill up the holes in the chassis of the MC-10L tube sockets. Theyre pretty damn good sounding so far. For $36 for a matched quad, these are a bargain. Overall, the bass isnt quite up to the 6CA7EH or SED EL34, but I feel it will fill out over time. I remember the SEDs started out weak in the bass, but it got better with time. Now theyre almost as good as the 6CA7EH in the bass department. The 6CA7EH had plenty of bass right out of the box, never had a gripe about em. The mids are very warm, much warmer than either the SED EL34 or the 6CA7EH. Sometimes it may seem a little too warm, as the SEDs have more detail in the mids. The 6CA7EHs were too analytical for me, they seem more transistor-like in the mids. The highs on the 6P3S-E are to die for. I run horn speakers, and even with tubes, sometimes youll take a shot to the ear when the highs get going. The 6P3S-E is very warm in the highs as well, and very detailed. The highs are warmer than either the SED or 6CA7, but not at the expense of detail. I feel this is where they really shine. This wont be my final impression, as I feel these tubes have much more to offer, plus theyve only been going for 2 hours. Once I get about 50 hours on them Ill post another comparison, it would be interesting to see how my perception changes. So far, for $36, its definitely a bargain. If I had the skill and knowledge to build my own amp, I would buy a mess of these and build a couple OTL monoblocks.

MWalt
10-14-2009, 08:21 PM
The mail man delivered a package to my employer today :D. Sucked, because it came early and I had to sit there staring at the box for 8 hours today. After a long wait, my new set of 6P3S-Es finally came in. These babies are fat compared to the EL34....they damn near fill up the holes in the chassis of the MC-10L tube sockets. Theyre pretty damn good sounding so far. For $36 for a matched quad, these are a bargain. Overall, the bass isnt quite up to the 6CA7EH or SED EL34, but I feel it will fill out over time. I remember the SEDs started out weak in the bass, but it got better with time. Now theyre almost as good as the 6CA7EH in the bass department. The 6CA7EH had plenty of bass right out of the box, never had a gripe about em. The mids are very warm, much warmer than either the SED EL34 or the 6CA7EH. Sometimes it may seem a little too warm, as the SEDs have more detail in the mids. The 6CA7EHs were too analytical for me, they seem more transistor-like in the mids. The highs on the 6P3S-E are to die for. I run horn speakers, and even with tubes, sometimes youll take a shot to the ear when the highs get going. The 6P3S-E is very warm in the highs as well, and very detailed. The highs are warmer than either the SED or 6CA7, but not at the expense of detail. I feel this is where they really shine. This wont be my final impression, as I feel these tubes have much more to offer, plus theyve only been going for 2 hours. Once I get about 50 hours on them Ill post another comparison, it would be interesting to see how my perception changes. So far, for $36, its definitely a bargain. If I had the skill and knowledge to build my own amp, I would buy a mess of these and build a couple OTL monoblocks.

Thanks for the review, Bob. Mine got considerably better with age. I now have over 100 hours on mine at this point. Keep us updated!

Handlebar
10-22-2009, 12:14 AM
u guys have a link on where you bought the 6p3s-e tubes??
what pre amp tubes you runnin
Hbar

bhamham
10-23-2009, 12:14 PM
:lurk:

similost
10-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm very confused here... you are using these tubes as a replacement for EL34? I thought these were more closely compared to a 6L6?

MWalt
10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm very confused here... you are using these tubes as a replacement for EL34? I thought these were more closely compared to a 6L6?

They are related to the 6L6, however they can be used on the Yaqin MC-10L integrated amp without any problems. I bias mine at 50ma. Great tubes.

FretsNkeys
10-13-2010, 10:29 AM
This post is about a year later, but I could have used this info before I went and bought the 6P3S tubes. The chassis hole on the Mark III is too small for the 6P3s. I bought some Socket savers for tube testers, they extend the sockets just enough to get the bases above the chassis. I am still trying to find an appropriate tube to replace the 6n1 preamp tubes with. The 6n1p's from russia I bought do not work in my MC10L. Any suggestions out there?

Sinaisid
10-16-2010, 05:06 AM
I have these - http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?search=6n1p in my Mc-10L and they are a major improvement on the stock valves.

I''m also using the Winged C EL34's and the combo gives me the sound I'm looking for -Good Bass and fat mid range!!! with a well controlled top end!!

Clearly these are Russian but there are many good reviews out there!!!

Ant1-Hero
10-16-2010, 09:50 AM
This post is about a year later, but I could have used this info before I went and bought the 6P3S tubes. The chassis hole on the Mark III is too small for the 6P3s. I bought some Socket savers for tube testers, they extend the sockets just enough to get the bases above the chassis. I am still trying to find an appropriate tube to replace the 6n1 preamp tubes with. The 6n1p's from russia I bought do not work in my MC10L. Any suggestions out there?

Move them around I had the hum issue but when i moved around the tubes I found a combination that really sounds good otherwise you got a dud set, so buy a few more. I'm running some 1976 6N1P-EV Black Plate Voskhod and it sound great.

Hi-FiGuy
10-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I've had good luck switching out 6N1P tubes with a 6CG7/6FQ7 tube. You could try that.

FretsNkeys
10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Got my 6n1p's to work this weekend by leaving the chinese tubes in v3 and v4. I cycled through all 8 of mine to find a silent one and a fairly quiet one. Huge difference between hum on each of these. The improvement in sound was notable. I have some 6n1p-ev's on the way as well as some 6cg7's that I had ordered for another amp. I'll post my findings. Incedentally, I am very pleased with the 63ps for output tubes.

Thebalance
11-03-2010, 04:01 AM
Hello, I am a new member in the forum, from Spain. Please, I want to know what is the maximum diametter in mm. of the basis of the 6P3S-E tube, my amp Yaqin MS34D have a little holes for the tube sockets EL34 and I am not sure if can to use this tube. And, with the EL34 amp, not have a electrical problems to use the tetrode 6P3S-E?

Thank you very much!

Best regards:beerchug:

bhamham
11-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Hi, welcome to AK.

I just measured a 6P3S-E... the glass envelope is approx 35mm diameter and the plastic coin base around 32mm. Height from the bottom of the base is around 82mm. Hope that helps.

Thebalance
11-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes, thank you very much!!...you know if is a reliable sub. for a EL34 tubes without electrical problems? I read in the beginning that is possible, but I don't want to damage my amp...

Thank you again!!:)

bhamham
11-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes, thank you very much!!...you know if is a reliable sub. for a EL34 tubes without electrical problems? I read in the beginning that is possible, but I don't want to damage my amp...

Thank you again!!:)

It's a very nice sub for a EL34 - depending on the EL34, of course. A word of caution, however. This has been my experience after going through approx 60 6P3S-Es to match.... about 10% were gassy and a couple arced badly and could possibly have damaged an amp. I use a rig I made from a Dynaco ST70 so I can put about 425v to the plates first and match for amp draw. Then match on my tester for Gm. Most are close for Gm but vary widely in current draw.

Just be careful when you first try them and be ready to shut the amp down if you see a tube flash. Others may chime in to let you know their experiences. Good luck.

Thebalance
11-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks again!...I want to buy them for sub. a ElectroHarmonix EL34 quad and a 6CA7 EH quad. I like the sound warm but with a detail and a open soundtage...

Best regards.

Ant1-Hero
11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I want to try them, but I love my SED's too much :D:D:D

Thebalance
11-03-2010, 10:28 AM
My amp is a Yaqin MS34D, is probably that I can use the 6P3S-E without have any problem?

Best regards.

P.D.: Sorry for my bad english language!

PatA
11-03-2010, 10:40 AM
These are great tubes - I like them a lot. I've only used the coin based 6p3s-e, never the other kind. I've been told the coin base are the "good ones." They will handle plenty of volts, but keep the total dissipation under twenty watts if you want them to stay happy.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/th_P1110495.jpg (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/P1110495.jpg) http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/th_P1110488.jpg (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/P1110488.jpg) http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/th_P1100543.jpg (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple%20SE/P1100543.jpg)

Sorry for the hijack, Ty, hope you don't mind that I used your pic of tubes in the dark as my desktop. It's a stunning photo!

Thebalance
11-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Hello,please, I want to know, what is the correct adjust of bias of the 6P3S-E in my EL34 Yaqin amp? I have the EL34 tubes adjusted in 380-420 mv., with the 6P3S-E tubes I can adjust more up or more down?...I don't want that the russian tubes are in flames:yikes:

Thank you very much!

Best regards.

JJ13
12-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi, I recently bought some 6P3S-E's to replace the EL 34's in my early model MC10L. I plugged them in and switched on to let them warm up. After about 15-20 seconds, one of the tubes popped. Am I being over optimistic expecting to be able just to plug in or should there be some preparatory work first?

Thebalance
12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi, I recently bought some 6P3S-E's to replace the EL 34's in my early model MC10L. I plugged them in and switched on to let them warm up. After about 15-20 seconds, one of the tubes popped. Am I being over optimistic expecting to be able just to plug in or should there be some preparatory work first?

Hello, before install the 6P3S-E, I adjust the bias at minimum level, very down, and after installed the russian 6P3S-E, with the multimeter I adjust very slowly the bias to 350 mv. the firsts hours, and after the firsts 24-48 hours at 400 mv.,etc...very slowly and carefully to adjust with 100 hours in 450mv., the actually bias adjust in my amp.

Regards.

grodri02
02-17-2011, 09:06 AM
As anyone used these on a Jolida 302brc amp? And are these the tubes: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-more-6P3S-E-6L6-Russian-tubes-Gold-logo-NEW-NIB-/130468498321?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e60874b91

vinylkid58
02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
As anyone used these on a Jolida 302brc amp? And are these the tubes: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-more-6P3S-E-6L6-Russian-tubes-Gold-logo-NEW-NIB-/130468498321?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e60874b91

Yes, those are the tubes in question. IMHO, it's not a good idea to buy potentially untested and unmatched tubes off ebay, unless you have a tester, and know what to look for. I've heard (and read) of people having problems with these, some are gassy.

jeff

fpantalone
03-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi ... I bought some reissue Gold Lion KT66 for my ST70, but I'm wondering if they would work in my Yaqin MC 10L. I'm obviously not well versed in such matters. Thx for any help out there.
Fred

Rygen
06-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I jumped on this bandwagon, after one of the stock tubes that came with my Yaqin gave up the ghost. I went with Jim McShane and he promptly sent me a matched quad and just biased them in at .50.

So far they sound great.

Will check the bias after some break in. :thmbsp:

rromeo
07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Ordered some 6P3S-E that were made in 1977 looking forward to receiving along with some 6n1p-ev's for my mc-10l.

Looking forward to hearing what difference these make.

Hi-Q
07-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Please take care lads, the limiting values for the 6PS-E is 250V on Plate and G2 and the Yaqin MC-10L has a healthy +400V available to them. If everything goes Bang! Don't blame the Chinese Amp! Also running the 6PS-E at 45mA will put another constant 20 Watts strain on the power transformer. I think you are all very brave to try but not the route I would take.
Les

Rygen
07-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks Les. Don't want to risk my amp and dropped it down to mfg suggested bias.

rromeo
07-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Please take care lads, the limiting values for the 6PS-E is 250V on Plate and G2 and the Yaqin MC-10L has a healthy +400V available to them. If everything goes Bang! Don't blame the Chinese Amp! Also running the 6PS-E at 45mA will put another constant 20 Watts strain on the power transformer. I think you are all very brave to try but not the route I would take.
Les

So I should not put the 6P3S-E's in the MC-10L? Or should I have the bias set lower than 45mA? What should I bias at, 35?

What may be a better choice for output tubes?

heath2832
07-05-2011, 08:58 PM
What may be a better choice for output tubes?

The Shuguang EL-34B's that came stock with the amp.

rromeo
07-05-2011, 09:14 PM
The Shuguang EL-34B's that came stock with the amp.

That might make too much sense :scratch2:

Hi-Q
07-06-2011, 01:07 PM
rromeo, I have used Electro-harmonix EL34 which I found very nice until I discovered a glass flaw in one due to an incorrectly placed mica support so I had an excuse to try something else. I now have a quad set of EH 6CA7's which I am very happy with. You will hear more tonal differences however by swopping out the 6N1's, well that was my impression anyway and others seem to agree. My favourites which always finish up back in the amp after trying others are Svetlana 6N1-P which have Gold lettering and carry a feinter marking of 8H1Π-EB. Boy these really go well and I keep searching for more!
Les

rromeo
07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I have some of these coming on a slow boat from Russia!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130475724660&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2471wt_905

heath2832
07-07-2011, 11:49 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130475724660&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2471wt_905

Good choice! Had those in an older version of the MC-10L and they sounded great.

Hi-Q
07-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Just ordered a quad set myself, worth a try me thinks.

rromeo
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
The NOS 6N1P-EV tubes (see above posts) arrived today. I had also ordered some Russian NOS 6N1P tubes around the same time and they arrived today also.

These are my first impressions. Let me say that I am not any type of expert or so called Audiophile. I just love to listen to music.

First I put the 6N1P's in and thought the sound was a bit warmer, not as loud, but also lacking detail (veiled). Well I figured they would get better sounding as they burned in.

Couldnt wait for that.

With the other New tubes were staring me in the face. I swapped the 6N1P's out and put in the 6N1P-EV's.

The 6N1P-EV's are also warmer than the stock Yaqin tubes. In addition the soundstage and instrumentation had much more depth, detail (revealing vs. veiled) . The soundstage I was getting prior was good and wide but these new tubes really increased the depth of the soundstage. The music was in my face (in a good way) Anyway only got to listen for about 20 minutes. I am really looking forward to some additional listening. I understand that tubes sound better with more hours of play. Gonna be fun!! What a great concept. Change tubes, change the sound!!! Awesome!!

Hi-Q. Looking forward to hearing what you think of these when you get yours.

pamook
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Recently I got my hands on a second hand MC-10L with no tubes (broken when it fell down to the floor from the ex owner hands), with minor cosmetic damage to the transformer cans but nothing was broken on the inside, PCBs are intact.

While I was waiting for amp to arrive, ordered some russian 6N1P-EVs and 6P3S-E, so the tubes were here when I got the amp. Inside some work was needed to be done, the transformer bases were a "bit" tilted :scratch2:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/pamook_reef/IMG_4108.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/pamook_reef/IMG_4117-1.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/pamook_reef/IMG_4115.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/pamook_reef/IMG_4111.jpg

At first, the sound was... well, disappointing :sigh:, weak, lacking details and I wandered if I did the right thing... but after giveing it a chance to burn in, I simply loved it :yes:, the sound was getting warmer, more detailed, fuller, all in all - its a keeper :thmbsp:...

first the bias was set to 350 mV, after about 40-50 hrs raised it to 420 mV and at about 100 working hrs Im gonna take it to the 500 mV (it was said that 6P3S-e works nice and fully open up at that value)... but no hurry, still decided to change the yellow MKPs to russian PIOs, also will change the electrolytic capacitors to Panasonics (still waiting for some parts to arrive, some capacitors and a better input selector, also some wire and stuff)....

these are goin in very soon :music:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/pamook_reef/parts.jpg

and for the record, the beauty shot

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/pamook_reef/IMG_4145.jpg

:music:

vinylkid58
07-19-2011, 04:40 PM
but no hurry, still decided to change the yellow MKPs to russian PIOs,

Try some K40Y-9's to couple the output tubes, if they fit.

jeff

pamook
07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
got the green ones in a bag... K42Y2 ... waiting :banana:

I will fit them in :thmbsp:

are the k40y-9 better?

vinylkid58
07-19-2011, 05:17 PM
are the k40y-9 better?

Not sure, I've never tried the K42's. I bought the K40's based on the opinion of others.

jeff

rromeo
07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Ok put the 6P3S-E in the outputs. Initially I think the stocks sound better. How much time do they need to burn in?

pamook
07-20-2011, 01:54 AM
I got the amp with no tubes so I cannot compare, and for a burn in, I think a minimum of 100 hrs (there are reports even 200 hrs to get the amp with 6P3S-e to became fully smooth and musical)....Mine is still under 100 mark so I cannot say much more than wait to see :music: ... and get a quad of EL34 in the meantime :scratch2:

rromeo
07-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Actually did not take long at all. After about an hour they now sound pretty damn good!

heath2832
07-20-2011, 08:40 AM
I have 2 MC-10L's, one with the stock Shuguang EL34-B's and one with the Russian 6P3S-E's. Hands down the Shuguangs sound better IMHO.

rromeo
07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I have 2 MC-10L's, one with the stock Shuguang EL34-B's and one with the Russian 6P3S-E's. Hands down the Shuguangs sound better IMHO.

Hmmm. What do you like about the Shuguangs that is better than the Russian tubes?

With just over an hour on the 6p3s-e's I feel there is more depth and detail (almost holographic, if you know what I mean)

So much subjectivity in all this.

heath2832
07-20-2011, 11:46 AM
So much subjectivity in all this.

True.

anti-doom
07-21-2011, 02:45 AM
Can I use these output tubes Russian 6P3S-E on my Dynaco ST-70 VTA board mod? Thanks

Rygen
07-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Been pretty happy with my 6P3SE's so far. Really happy with this amp.

TheH
07-26-2011, 09:49 PM

I placed an order for a pair of quads of these 6P3S-E's last week.
I received the Yaqin MC-10 lb yesterday and after about 4 hours I think it's missing lots of top end, not sure if it's me being used to cranking up the treble on the old SS Sony, but I hope things get better with the 6N1P-EV.

Are you guys messing with the bias when replacing the stock 6N1 with the 6N1P-EV? and if so what are you setting bias to?

reggaenaut
07-26-2011, 10:21 PM
I received the Yaqin MC-10 lb yesterday and after about 4 hours I think it's missing lots of top end, not sure if it's me being used to cranking up the treble on the old SS Sony, but I hope things get better with the 6N1P-EV.

Are you guys messing with the bias when replacing the stock 6N1 with the 6N1P-EV? and if so what are you setting bias to?

Just curious....what old Sony ss were you using?

TheH
07-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Just curious....what old Sony ss were you using?

It was an 80s Sony A/V receiver "STR-AV550"

erlingt
07-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Can I use these output tubes Russian 6P3S-E on my Dynaco ST-70 VTA board mod? Thanks

Yes, you can - sounds super:thmbsp:

Set the BIAS to 40 mA per tube.

rromeo
07-27-2011, 09:49 AM

The high end sounds absolutely fine with my Yaqin mc-10l. Now I bought it used so it was already broken in. I found the most significant change/improvement w/ the 6N1P-EV was on the low end.

TheH
07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
The high end sounds absolutely fine with my Yaqin mc-10l. Now I bought it used so it was already broken in. I found the most significant change/improvement w/ the 6N1P-EV was on the low end.

I know from what I read that it will only get better with time, also right now I'm using my 6 ohm speakers on the 4 ohm connectors of the yaqin per manual break in period, not sure if after break in using them on 8 ohm connection will make a difference in sound quality.

rromeo
07-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I am using 6ohm speakers but on 8 ohm. I tried 4 ohm but like 8ohm better.

datafone
07-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I liked the 6P3S-E (coin base) in my Yaqin when the amp was stock.

Though after a friend helped me with the amp and rebuilt it with a triode strapped circuit (one of his own designs) They where far too rolled off at the bottom, so I got some Svetlana winged 'C's, and they are better than the Russians and the stock tubes...in the new build.

Mind you when testing the new circuit one ran away for a brief moment, and soon after that tube developed noise (i should have used the stock tubes when testing was being done). So until I can get another matched pair I have the original tubes in it.

Still sounds lovely.

I passed on the Russian tubes to a Guitarist friend, and he loves them :)

I recommend the Winged Cs as far as EL34s go...

tomam17
12-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Bumping the old thread.

Is anyone still using the 6P3S-E tubes in their MC-10L? If so how long?

Maybe a better question: Has everyone who used the 6P3S-E biased up to 50 in their MC-10L for over a year managed to avoid any large explosions or fires? :banana:

Ebay bucks coupon comes next week, and I'm in the mood to do some rolling!

Ant1-Hero
03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
JUst got my 6P3s-E early this week from a quad of SED Winged C's, been running them at 45ma, bumped it up to 50ma this mourning, have about 30 hours on them. So far they sound great. Bottom end its very smooth and rich, top end has a nice delicate roll off. I also found that swapping preamp tube 1 and 4 from 6n1p's to 6CG7's, with 6n1p in 2 and 3 sound terrific. Cant wait to hear what it will sound like after the full break in, it will be a hard choice to go back to EL34's.

Indynryder
04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Bumping the old thread.

Is anyone still using the 6P3S-E tubes in their MC-10L? If so how long?

Maybe a better question: Has everyone who used the 6P3S-E biased up to 50 in their MC-10L for over a year managed to avoid any large explosions or fires? :banana:

Ebay bucks coupon comes next week, and I'm in the mood to do some rolling!

What he said a few months ago........I would like to try these tubes with some confidence. Thanx in advance??????????

pamook
04-26-2012, 04:39 AM
mine are biased to 50mA after I had them burned in with 35mA for start, rising it in 5mA increments over a cca 2 months period... still working, burned in, very nice ... only thing I hate is that it takes a bit "long" time to wake up fully and play at its best - generally about one hour ...

Changed the pot for better Alps, mkp for K40Y PIOs and all the smaller caps... there was a plan to change the main caps (protruding out on the top side) and try to hide them inside (possible, crammy but possible) and wanted to change the signal wireing for better and shielded (too much crosstalk)...

6N1p-ev are very nice, and for the output tubes - I didnt have the chance to change them for EL34s to see (hear :tongue:)...

amp is resting for about a month now cause of 6C33c˙s SET :D

/edit - see post 51 - tubes installed 07-19-2011

Rygen
06-24-2012, 10:19 AM
I've had mine in about a year now. Burned them in at 40mA and have them at 45mA and really happy with them. Mine is used pretty much every day - week days after I get home from work for 1-2 hours and weekends see 4-12 hours of use depending on what else is going on.

m.oreilly
07-05-2013, 05:06 PM
well, i drank the cool-aid: it appears to have toasted my mc-10L doing this (using the 6p3s-e) sucks big time. i would, because of the total failure while trying this tube (all of 4 minutes) in a somewhat recent 10L, that it is not a keen idea, unless somehow or other my reliably performing amp decided to die off right at the moment of installing the 6p3s-e...
6p3s-e were purchased from (the highly recommended) jim mcshane. tubes were tested and matched by him prior to shipping, so i'm completely bummed atm...

vinylkid58
07-05-2013, 05:17 PM
That's a shame. What exactly happened?

jeff

skriefal
07-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Did you lower the bias on the tubes (to minimum) before swapping in the new 6P3S-Es, and then re-bias after the tubes had a chance to warm up and stabilize? If not then the fuse might have blown. Have you checked the fuse?

m.oreilly
07-05-2013, 11:00 PM
oh man, egg on my face big time...someone used win media player's EQ, left it on kill bass settings, and me, me using the meter i had ran over with the work truck...turned off the software eq, used a new meter...they work awesome. total drop-in replacement. need to have it at .40v at least to get similar volume, but they sound right and tight, just astounding compared to the stock el34. i'll leave them at .40 for a bit and then increase the voltage, but they sound just tops and system is running super atm.

m.oreilly
07-05-2013, 11:09 PM
a big shout out to jim mcshane for hanging in with me this afternoon, and the super ebay seller 'tabnaac'. thanks for all your help!

skriefal
07-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Glad you got it working, and that nothing was damaged!