View Full Version : Dual 1264- the tonearm doesn't go all the way to the center

kotofei
09-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Greetings everyone,

I need an advice on solving one more problem with this Dual - that time, looks like I made something wrong during initial fix:tears:.

I got the Dual 1264 in the thrift store last week. It was OK mechanically but the left channel was weak. The advice (see earlier thread) was to disassemble the deck and Deoxit muting relay, contacts, wires etc.

It took me a while to get inside the Dual, but I did this apparently without doing any visible damages. After deoxiting the channel is back, but now the tonearm does not want to move all the way to the center of the record.

The Dual starts OK in the auto mode, first half of the record is played, and then the tonearm sort of freezes- it does not want to move to the left, i.e. to the center of the record. I even can't move it to the left by hand- something inside apparently resists it. If I stop play by moving of the lever to the "stop" position, the tonearm goes back as it should.

This problem developed after disassembly and subsequent assembly of the Dual, before this the record played all the way to the end and the tonearm was freely moved all the way to the center (checked several times).

What that might be?:scratch2: I hope it's an easy fix.

Many thanks in advance!

dkelley
09-23-2009, 12:48 PM
sort of seems like you'll have to disassemble it and look at what's blocking it. I'm not trying to be a jerk LoL, although I guess it might read that way, but am just thinking it through out loud.

seems like something that would probably be pretty clear once you have no cover hiding the workings from view. I don't know that table though - maybe what I suggested isn't actually possible (removing bottom cover to see workings or whatever).

I've certainly had that happen with cheaper tts after working on them, generally could pop off a cover somewhere to see what I did wrong, forgot a washer, something was on backwards.

Audio55
09-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Greetings everyone,

I need an advice on solving one more problem with this Dual - that time, looks like I made something wrong during initial fix:tears:.

I got the Dual 1264 in the thrift store last week. It was OK mechanically but the left channel was weak. The advice (see earlier thread) was to disassemble the deck and Deoxit muting relay, contacts, wires etc.

It took me a while to get inside the Dual, but I did this apparently without doing any visible damages. After deoxiting the channel is back, but now the tonearm does not want to move all the way to the center of the record.

The Dual starts OK in the auto mode, first half of the record is played, and then the tonearm sort of freezes- it does not want to move to the left, i.e. to the center of the record. I even can't move it to the left by hand- something inside apparently resists it. If I stop play by moving of the lever to the "stop" position, the tonearm goes back as it should.

This problem developed after disassembly and subsequent assembly of the Dual, before this the record played all the way to the end and the tonearm was freely moved all the way to the center (checked several times).

What that might be?:scratch2: I hope it's an easy fix.

Many thanks in advance!

Not sure if I can help you with this hang-up you are having, but I will make a suggestion. Remove the base and support the deck so you can observe what is happening at the point when it hangs up. If I remember correctly there is a large clear or amber colored gear that times the return of the arm at the end of play. It is possible that it has gotten out of time. There is also a small flat metal arm that is attached to the main arm and if memory serves me right that would be the area to check for binding. Most of those old Duals were very forgiving and for the most part if the cycling of the arm got interrupted it would simply reset itself. If not, then look below and see what is causing the problem. Good luck! :scratch2:

kotofei
09-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Removed the deck from the base, looked at the levers and wheels- nothing seems to obstruct the arm. Checked the arm movement- it moved freely all the way to the left.

Then assembled everything and started the play-it played the whole record!:banana:

So the problem ( I don't really know what caused it) was fixed by disassembly -then- assembly :yes: Thank you everyone for help and support.

I noticed that this Dual has a lot of mechanical parts in place where other decks (such as my Sansui) have electronics or electromechanical devices. It seems that Dual engineers deliberately avoided electronics, at least in the 1264 TT. That might explain the "self-fixing" of this problem and the fact mentioned by Audio55 that old Duals are very forgiving.

I wish all TTs were like this in terms of repair...

Audio55
09-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Removed the deck from the base, looked at the levers and wheels- nothing seems to obstruct the arm. Checked the arm movement- it moved freely all the way to the left.

Then assembled everything and started the play-it played the whole record!:banana:

So the problem ( I don't really know what caused it) was fixed by disassembly -then- assembly :yes: Thank you everyone for help and support.

I noticed that this Dual has a lot of mechanical parts in place where other decks (such as my Sansui) have electronics or electromechanical devices. It seems that Dual engineers deliberately avoided electronics, at least in the 1264 TT. That might explain the "self-fixing" of this problem and the fact mentioned by Audio55 that old Duals are very forgiving.

I wish all TTs were like this in terms of repair...

Glad you got it going again. My first new table was a Dual 1225 Rim Drive. Loved that table and used it for about 11 years. One thing you need to watch on many of the auto start and auto return Duals is if the tone arm ever fails to pickup and move on auto start or fails to pickup and move back all the way to the shutoff position it will most likely be this little rubber like tip that can deteriorate and or come apart. There is a small round rod just under the tone arm where it attaches to the base you have to remove the base to see it. [Itís easy to locate] It uses friction to move the arm into position. If this ever happens and it could you would just simply apply a very small rubber pad to the end of that little rod and you are back in business... I have had to replace it on my 1264.

illinoisteve
09-24-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't know why the entire turntable would need to be disassembled to clean the audio contacts, though it would have to be turned over (meaning any bottom cover would have to be removed) to get to some of the places to be cleaned. (There are lubrication procedures that can require some disassembly.)

I'm not sure about your model, but with the 1229 turning it over throws something out of wack in the auto system. The simple remedy (in the manual I think) is to lock the tonearm down, push the lever to start, and let it cycle. That puts everything back in place if that was the only thing wrong.

Audio55
09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't know why the entire turntable would need to be disassembled to clean the audio contacts, though it would have to be turned over (meaning any bottom cover would have to be removed) to get to some of the places to be cleaned. (There are lubrication procedures that can require some disassembly.)

I'm not sure about your model, but with the 1229 turning it over throws something out of wack in the auto system. The simple remedy (in the manual I think) is to lock the tonearm down, push the lever to start, and let it cycle. That puts everything back in place if that was the only thing wrong.

You are correct, you should not need to disassemble the table, but one must separate the deck from the base to see what is happening with it.You did bring something to my attention, that table might have hung-up because it most likely has never been serviced and that table is around 30 years old. Also, the 1264 is very easy to get out of cycle; Iíve had it happen to mine a few times. Anyway, sounds like our friend has solved his tableís issues.