View Full Version : Crown ce1000/ce2000

obladi
10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I recently picked up a pair of ADS L720s and want to know if either one of these Crown amps I have (used them in my PA Equipment in my band days) would work well.
Would I have to utilize a preamp also? I generally utilize a tt or a cd player and don't utilize a tuner in this particular scenario....

Thanks for the consideration!

similost
10-01-2009, 01:32 PM
yep.. will work really well.. either one.. plug them up and enjoy.. yes, you will need a preamp.

obladi
10-01-2009, 01:35 PM
That's great news!!!

What considerations should be made on the preamp for it to work well with these speakers and amp?

similost
10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Of course the better pre-amp you have, the better the final sound will be. Not sure of the type inputs those amps have on them, but converting from what ever kind of outputs on the preamp to the type on the amp will be your biggest concern. I usually make up what ever kind of cable I need for that. I use a mixer as a preamp for one of my systems, and I convert from 1/4" balanced ends to XLR balanced..

AngelRa
10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
The Crown ce2000 uses balanced XLR. It is better to get a pre that already have balanced outputs than to use adapter cables. There is a large dB difference between balanced xlr and unbalanced rca. If you use standard home pre amp you may never get full use of your crowns.

obladi
10-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for that info AngelRa!
Can you recommend any pre's that are already set up this way?

similost
10-01-2009, 02:03 PM
In the home setting, with a large amp like that, even with a lower input into the amp, you're still gonna have more wattage than you'll ever need...

d-ray657
10-01-2009, 02:44 PM
what do you currently use for your TT and CD player? If you already have a mixer, you could get started before you decide on a preamp.

Regards,

D-Ray

obladi
10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a Pioneer VSX D703S (I think!)...not at home at the moment. Anyway, it's a Pioneer receiver/tuner. I picked up a set of ADS L720s and from the advice I am getting, it just doesn't have the balls to push those speakers.

I do have a Mackie 16 channel board in my PA equipment...are you saying that it would be usable? Don't know that I want to go that route, but I guess it's a possibility if I can use it.....

similost
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I use a 20 channel Behringer in my large system. I've also got a small Tapco 4 channel I use for a real small quick setup if I need, and I've also got a very large 16 channel Carvin that sounds pretty fantastic.

Fred Sanford
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Check those Crowns for power-up & power-down thumps, small speakers might puke their guts out from it with those amps. Otherwise, yeah, go for it with a pre or with a mixer, figuring out what works best for you.

Simi, I'll give you a call about that Carvin, I'm still curious about it. Has it tested out 100%, or did you just give it a quick run?

je

similost
10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I just gave it a quick run.. It sounds really good, and what I did check out all seemed to work right... I haven't given it a full workout to make sure everything works on the subgroups and such, but if what I saw already is true for the whole thing, it's in super shape.

d-ray657
10-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Similost - Is Gumby now working as Frank Sinatra's agent?

Regards,

D-Ray

similost
10-01-2009, 06:26 PM
LOL.. nah.. just had to get out my Halloween avatar... Wish I could find a scarier Gumby though..

obladi
10-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Similost: I pulled out my Mackie 16 channel board and connected my cd player to it real quick. I had to wire up a couple of adapters for my speakers as my amp is wired with Neutrix type connectors....Connected a pair of old Bose Studiocrafts to the amp...they sounded pretty good, then proceded to connect my ADS L720s. They performed well also. It got me wondering though, I only noticed that there is one connection for a "tape" player on my board. How would I connnect my record player... can I get away with connecting my receiver to the board.? I didn't see a way to do that, but may be ignorant in how.

Thanks for the consideration!