View Full Version : Tuner String (Dial Cord): What to Use

rogard@bells
10-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Go to the crafts store.
Find the bead-stringing aisle.
Somewhere on the racks, you will find "Waxed Cording" - locally, 1.99 for 10 yards. Perfection!

If I have to tell you stay away from the elastic cording and the metallic cording, you really shouldn't be doing this!:D

Splatter Pak
10-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Are you sure you know where that wax is going to go? I would choose multi-strand fishing line (not fly line) of similar diameter to the original tuner string.

rogard@bells
10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Waxed string for beading (Don't use the leather-working kind made for awls - it's too thick anyway) isn't very waxy to begin with. It just increases strength and friction.

Now look at the routing of dial cord and do tell me how a little (should it release itself from the cotton) can harm metal and plastic pulleys.

Use what you want.

The multi-strand fishing line I have seen in the last several years is teflon coated. Yeah - I actually tried it. Because it's the only stuff Walmart and hardware stores had. Wouldn't even move the dial pointer. Too slippery. Made to "sing" through rod guides - not make to "grab" anything.

sanford12
10-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I use the wax stuff too. It works great.

merrylander
10-03-2009, 07:46 AM
In Michael's the #6 bead stringing cord is perfect, one packet does one receiver or tuner but it comes with a stiff 'needle' on one end that makes stringing in tight places much more enjoyable.

Cosmic Charlie
10-03-2009, 08:14 AM
For my Sansui 771 I took the cord from damaged miniblinds, took a block of parrifin (sp) wax and drew the cord over the wax block cutting into the block, till sufficiently coated. Re strung the 771, and it has been working fine now for at least 5yrs. Oh yeah I parted the original w/ an errant solder iron, reflowing the solder at the fuselamps, they all light up now. CC

Andyman
10-03-2009, 08:32 AM
My dial cord in my SX-828 slips on the brass pulley on the dial; is this due to too much or too little wax??

merrylander
10-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Probably too little tension on the springs.

Boonaroo
10-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I had a mishap with the tuning dial cord on a realistic receiver I was putting new lights in. I kept telling myself to keep the iron away from the cord. My unsteady hand just wouldn't listen and POP. . .:tears:there goes the string.

I wanted to get it finished quickly so I ended up 'splicing' the cord with dental floss. It worked perfectly!!!

Don't know if it would work as a complete cord, but it sure work in an emergency. :banana:

Andyman
10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Probably too little tension on the springs.

Wouldn't that be uniform across the dial?
I have a problem only on a section of the cord.

blueneon
10-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I once used waxed dental floss... the, uh, victim is still working fine to this day.

As for the slipping cord, I'm going to guess it's an issue of not enough wax. If I remember correctly, the cord is soaked/boiled/? in beeswax, which has kind of a grippy stickiness to it. Running a beeswax candle over it might shore things up.

I suspect the old waxed twine, as used to tie up wiring, would be great as substitute dial cord. Surely, someone's got a nice big spool of it in their workshop somewhere?

merrylander
10-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Wouldn't that be uniform across the dial?
I have a problem only on a section of the cord.

When that happens it is usually where the string takes three turns around the flywheel shaft.If you watch while it gets to where it slips you will likely see the string tring to "climb" up the curved part. Cleaning that part of the shaft usually works as it should slip back while still moving the tuning capacitor.

amptramp
10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Canadian Tire has brought back the woven fishing line after years of having only monofilament. This will do for the majority of the cases.

I have a Stromberg Carlson 1135 radio that uses a diabolical scheme requiring three cords of exactly the original thickness plus an additional cord that has a huge amount of force on it. One cord goes from the pulley on the tuning shaft to another shaft that has separate cords going to the tuning capacitor and the slide-rule dial. The cord which drives the tuning capacitor is wrapped around the shaft and the other cord goes from a larger pulley to the dial scale pointer drive. If the cord is less than the original size (which fishing line is), the dial pointer will move faster than the tuning capacitor. The fourth cord with the high loading is for the motorized bandswitch drive. This set is a nightmare for dial cord stringing.

niklasthedol
10-06-2009, 06:03 AM
The finest plaited fishing line is used here.
No wax.
Very strong.
Don't run.
No going to one side behaviour.
No stretch.

"dolph"

John James
10-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Try www.radiodaze.com

They have the real McCoy.

(No affil.)