View Full Version : DBX Amplifier ?

Army
10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi All
Just had a guy call me about a DBX BX-3 amplifier and since I've never heard of DBX I figured why not ask the experts. He told me it's 350 wpc 4 channel he bought while in the service. He had it serviced lately and is in good working order. He wants $250 which isn't in my stereo budget right now. But he said he'd hang on to it till I could scrap up the dough. Is this a good unit and fair price? I checked Orion and it said $160 used which is usually off a bit.

It sounds like a monster of an amp :yikes: ! Which might be just what the doctor ordered for my 4 ohm power hungry AR 9LS's.

So what do y'all think?

Regards
Army

Grumpy
10-19-2004, 11:03 AM
I say buy it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14973&item=5724523487&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I would still haggle a bit :D

Army
10-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks Grumpy
I'll have to check out your link when I get home. Can't get on eBoy at work.

Definitely going to look into it, just looked at Orion's again, I was looking at the wrong model the BX-3 goes for $350 used, this is starting to get very interesting.

What can you tell me about DBX good, bad, otherwise? I found out they make a lot of PA gear. Are they good at stereo as well? Anybody own any DBX?
Getting very curious :yes: !
Regards
Army

PS Haggle is my middle name :D

Grumpy
10-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Never heard or seen one but based on its pic and selling price you don't have much to lose. Here is the auction info. Don't know if this info is true but I would think it is.

Offered for sale is a rare and collectable DBX BX-3 Multi Channel Power Amplifier. This unit is in excellent condition with the exception of some scratches on the sides of the rosewood end panels. Its large V.U. meters and “built-like-a-tank” quality are rarely seen in modern day amplifiers. It can be used in many different configurations: In a 2 channel mode with a continuous 400 watts/channel, three channel mode with 400 watts for the center and 125 for left and right front, In a four channel mode with each channel pushing 125 watts or it can be used it as two separate 2 channel power amplifiers in one chassis pushing 125 watts at channel each. This piece sold new for $1,500 and rarely shows up on the secondary market. We do not have the original box or manual but the amp will be professionally boxed for shipment.

Army
10-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Wow! pretty impressive looking.

Gonna have to take a look, rosewood is definitely my color. Would go very nicely with the G-22k in a biamping setup.

So now I have two problems.

#1 No cashola... time to sell something on eBoy

#2 I'll have to pick somebodies brain on how to biamp the AR 9LS's like Toast Almond does with his AR 9's

This could be great fun :thmbsp: !

Thanks Dave for the info much appreciated ;)
Army

Grumpy
10-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Like you I am a sucker for Rosewood. If I had my way it would be all over my house :D

Good luck with the amp.

House de Kris
10-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Thanks Grumpy
What can you tell me about DBX good, bad, otherwise? I found out they make a lot of PA gear. Are they good at stereo as well? Anybody own any DBX?

The first piece of dbx gear I got was the 118 Dynamic Range Enhancer back in the late 70s. This was when dbx was making both pro and home equipment. I also have the home version of the SubHarmonic Synthesizer, model 100. I don't recall when it was, but dbx did get out of the home market and are exclusively pro gear now. I've also got their DDP, Digital Dynamics Processor, which I use as the ADC front end for digital recording because I think it is one darn good sounding converter.

dbx compressors, especially the 160, are found in almost every major studio. You've probably heard plenty of music that has gone through some dbx gear as a large number or recordings are made with their products.

I don't know their power amp in question, but in general, dbx makes some purdy durn good stuff. Uh, that would be in my opinion.

Army
10-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi HDKris

Thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of them before today. As soon as I can sneak away from the little woman ( who's on the you buy one more thing kick) I'm gonna check it out.
And your opinion is highly valued and welcomed by me :thmbsp:
Thanks again!
Army

wjahn5
11-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Any further details on this story? I just picked up one here locally today but haven't had any time to test it. It's definitely one heavy amp.

Army
11-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Any further details on this story? I just picked up one here locally today but haven't had any time to test it. It's definitely one heavy amp.

Well I took a look and wow it's one beautiful peice of equipment. Big meter's and can be switched between 2, 4, 8, 16 ohm loads 2 channel 3 and 4 channel 350 wpc good build quality w/. very minor cosmetic issues' but I just can't find the funds. the guy is willing to wait till I do ! But I've been busy working and haven't sold any toys to come up with the scratch. Just not home enough to make it happen! :cry:

Too many other projects already in the works that need funds, that I'm having a hard enough time trying to finance. :worried:

Gawd I love this hobby :dammit: Too many great choices :yikes: ! Not enough $$$$$$ :cry:

But wouldn't change a thing... Good gawd what a challenge :D

Cheers :beerchug:
Army

Toasted Almond
11-20-2004, 05:02 PM
DBX made some great audio equipment. They also made some dog passive subs. I think it was after DBX got purchased by BSR or something, their subs started showing up in the old DAK catalogs. 15" woofs and marketed as "Thunder Lizards" or some other crap name. I found one in a thrift shop a couple years back and the cabinet construction had to be at LEAST 1/4" thick. Junk from the get-go.

Within the last week I picked up a DBX TX-3 Mk. something AM/FM tuna that was gorgeous to behold and listen to. Rosewood side panels and Larry Schotz designed circuitry. It didn't last long here and I'd never have sold it if...

1. I listened to radio more.
2. I didn't already have a Carver TX-11a for when I DO get the urge.

TA

Bigdawg123
10-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I have the same exact amplifier. I love it to death. Unfortunately in my recent move to Tampa, Fla it is not working. Movers jacked it up!! The unit powers up but does not make a sound. Can anyone recommend an excellent repair shop in the Tampa area; as I really would like to have it fixed and given a good cleaning. I have had this amp since 1990 and would like to transport myself rather than mail since it is such a heavy unit.

Michael-Otto
10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
From a DBX catalog the specs.

BX-3 Power Amplifier
Power Output (RMS. 8 ohms. 20-20 kHz)
4ch driven 125 Wx4 (THD<0 003%)
3ch.driven 125 Wx2 (THD<0003%) 350 W x l (THD<0 01 %)
2ch driven 350 Wx2 (THD<0.01%)
Power Output (Dynamik. IHF A-202)
Separate Mode
180 W/channel (8 ohms)
320 W/channel (4 ohms)
450 W/channel (2 ohms)
Bridge (BTL) Mode
600 W/channel (8 ohms)
800 W/channel (4 ohms)
900 W/channel (2 ohms)
Load Impedance 2-6 ohms. 6- 16 ohms (Switchable)
THD <0 003% (125 W RMS Power output Separate mode)
Frepuency Response DC-200 kHz (+0. -3 dB alt1 W)
Damping Factor >50 (at 1 kHz)
S/N (IHF-A) 115 dB
Channel Separation >90 dB
Input Sensitivity
Separate Mode 1.2V
BTL Mode 0.9 V
Input Impedance 20kohms
Power Requirements 120/220/240 VAC. 50/60 Hz
Dimensions(WxHxD) 18-3/4"x5-3/4"x16"
Weight 46-1/2 Ibs

Michael-Otto

Coytee
10-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I own a Bx3 and have previously owned the even mightier BX1.

I do not currenlty have the BX3 in my system now since I'm biamping and using two Crown K2's. That is about the ONLY reason.

It really fit my bill in several ways, 4 channels, I'm biamping.... one unit :thmbsp:

I've debated on selling it and I would think above prices are "reasonable" give/take. Mine of course, is worth $35,190 :scratch2:

I'm primarily keeping mine so I can see if/how I might use it when I finally migrate everything downstairs.

In 2-channel mode I need 4 channels of amplification. If I go to a simple HT system I'll need the same 4 channels of amplification as well as 3 more (and this will fit nicely)

If I go hog wild on the HT front, I will need the same needs above in 2-channel plus an additional 6 more channels of amplification. This could serve as many as 4 of those additional needs.

Souinds good too.

Ohh...forgot.... I HAVE had the fan running on more than one occasion and that's something that bugged me (and another reason why I like the K2's). I was sitting in room, watching tv and heard some noise....took me a little while to figure out that it was the fan. :thumbsdn:

I think I have an electronic copy of the service manual and maybe owners manual. I know I had them for the BX1 so I might be confusing the two. If you have a need/interest, let me know and I'll check.

Coytee
10-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Seems I was wrong... I only have the owners manual

Better than nothing though, this can be very obtuse when you start trying to look at how to wire it on the back!!

The other PDF's I have are for the 5bx and BX1

Army
10-26-2009, 01:30 PM
I have the same exact amplifier. I love it to death. Unfortunately in my recent move to Tampa, Fla it is not working. Movers jacked it up!! The unit powers up but does not make a sound. Can anyone recommend an excellent repair shop in the Tampa area; as I really would like to have it fixed and given a good cleaning. I have had this amp since 1990 and would like to transport myself rather than mail since it is such a heavy unit.

Personally don't know anyone in the Tampa are. Echowars (in KC) fixed mine once I purchased it and it ran for several months.