View Full Version : Kenwood Speakers

PR Audio
11-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Did Kenwood ever made a decent speaker? My nephew is putting together a budget system for his room, and someone is selling him a pair of Kenwood KL-555-HD speakers for $50.00 pair. They are in very good condition. He asked for help, I know Kenwood for good solid state receivers, and car audio, but have never heard their speakers. I keep telling him to take it easy, as there is a lot of used equipment that show up in the local classifieds really good and cheap, so he might want to wait longer.

I feel bad for him, 'cause the other day a pair of mission speaker floorstanders (forgot the model) in excellent condition showed up for $150.00 pair and he hesitated and someone beat him to them.

tmad40blue
11-02-2009, 08:15 PM
If it were me, I would keep searching. Look at local thrift stores (like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.) also, you can find wonderful things there sometimes.

richamor
11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Depends on what you like. Most people put the Kenwoods in the Kabuki line-up. Look great, sound terrible.
I, on the other hand, like a lot of those speakers. I'd love to find a pristine set of Kenwood KL-777. Right now, my Sansui 3500's fill the bill.

asoundhound
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
i've had a pair of kl-999dx's (kabuki city). they ain't bad. they will get thunderously loud with very little power. they are very bright, definitely west-coast sound.

on the other hand, there are a lot of better speakers out there.

superdog
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Depends on what you like. Most people put the Kenwoods in the Kabuki line-up. Look great, sound terrible.
I, on the other hand, like a lot of those speakers. I'd love to find a pristine set of Kenwood KL-777. Right now, my Sansui 3500's fill the bill.

I had a set of kl-777x.They sure could rock.I have a set of kl888x that I rarely use only when I want to rock out to 150+ wpc.

gatorvrx
11-03-2009, 07:43 AM
I would agree with the others. Try and talk your nephew into waiting just a bit longer. Something will show up on CL, maybe some NLA's, BA 100's or some HPM's or something.

karlo
11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
kenwood made a few awesome speakers, most never left japan...

http://www.zenn.com.sg/Kenwood_MV-5D.JPG

those kabukis are no match for mission 770, 780 etc .

similost
11-03-2009, 09:40 AM
They did make a few good speakers, but you won't be finding them for $50 if the owners have half a clue what they have... Take for instance the MV-7D and MV-9D speakers. Almost a pro speaker, and made for sales on military bases over seas... I had a pair of the 9D speakers, and DAMN did they rock and sound fantastic.

I'd keep looking. You probably won't find any of the MV series, and NOT for $50... There are a lot of other brands out there much better than Kenwood as a whole..

g 22000
11-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Good advice, I think his paitience will be rewarded if he looks around a bit. Why not pick up a cheap set at a garage sale or thrift store (I'm thinking under $20.)or even check the free section on craigs list, just something to listen to while you find something better.

similost
11-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Although that link will probably get this thrown into D&S.. those are a pair of the MV series.. Those are either the 5's or 7's... Look like that five to me with the ports beside the horn. I believe the 7's have round ports. I'd be ALL OVER thost are $75

Wooferman93
11-03-2009, 06:08 PM
What about LS-P9200's?

PR Audio
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Forgot to mention, we are in Puerto Rico; 85 Deg F for those of you up north. Here you have to look really hard, great equipment around but difficult to find. It will be a lesson of patience for him. Meanwhile I loaned him a pair of PSB B15 I have.

beej
11-04-2009, 04:22 AM
I have a pair of Kenwood KL-555Ds. They handle loud really well; not particularly strong in the detail department. Base is a bit boomy. My recommendation is to continue to look. Good luck.

PR Audio
11-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I have a pair of Kenwood KL-555Ds. They handle loud really well; not particularly strong in the detail department. Base is a bit boomy. My recommendation is to continue to look. Good luck.

Sounds like they are good, inexpensive college dorm room speakers. Not what he is looking for. Thx

Big Tuna
02-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Gosh, why didn't I find this thread sooner? Anyways, sorry to revive this old thread to say, YES, Kenwood made some of the best speakers out there, but they are few and far between. Their first known Audiophile quality speaker was the Hulking and Heavy Model 7, introduced in August 1975. I hear there was a Model 9, but no-one has ever seen a pair, and there are no pictures or words about them on the World-wide web anywhere, however, I have a pair of the Model Seven. It was from the Japanese Model Seven that Kenwood USA spawned the LS-400 Series, beginning with the LS-403, LS-405 & LS-406, then those were superceded by the "A" series with LS-403A, LS-405A, LS-407A & LS-408A, then "B" Series, LS-404B, LS-405B, LS-407B & LS-408B, and ending at the "C" series, LS-405C, LS-407C & LS-408C. The C series utilized aluminum frames for all three drivers, but sadly none of the C's could be had with real walnut veneer. The only LS's that had real walnut veneer were the LS-403, LS-405, LS-406, LS-408A, & LS-408B. All of those LS Series were much much cheaper than the Model Seven which was over $2500 per pair from 1975 to 1977 only. They all utilized the same design techniques and they were the closest thing sound-wise to the Model Seven, although the other TOTL Model that Kenwood made later, the LS-1900, while not sharing anything visually or sound-wise with the Seven, had another line spawned from it, but those were not made in USA, the LS-660/770/880/990. The LS-880 and 880G were Kenwoods Clones of the Yamaha NS-690/1000. Most of the spawned lines can be had with a limited budget nowadays, however, finding a pair that is intact and 100% working can prove extremely challenging. After 1982, the emphasis for sound/construction quality went downhill, although the LSC & LSK-Series-B utilized the same midrange and tweeter cones as the earlier LS's, they were quite the departure sound-wise and quality-wise from them. Another line that comes to mind are the LS & LSP with four numbers 5000/6000/7000/8000/9000 and some had a letter at the end of the number like K. The "thousand" series, as I call 'em were nothing more than steriod-ed versions of their earlier "KL" brothers, having a line array of multiple drivers which were made for nothing but "Loud". The term "Kabuki" comes to mind, but if you like loud, the they would be the ticket. All in All, you should find a pair that suits your ears, or if it's a specific model your after just because you hear that someone else says they sound great, keep in mind there are many parameters that can have a profound affect on the sound they produce. If it's simple sound your after, then just about anything will do, right on down the line to a LCD clock radio. :D

89grand
02-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I have 3 pairs of speakers that I paid near $50 for that are all surely better than some run of the mill Kenwoods. I bought Boston T830's for $60, KLH Model 23's for $40 and JBL HLS-620's for $40.

Good deals are out there on CL, you just have to watch constantly until something decent pops up.

media
02-14-2011, 10:57 AM
So I take it Kenwoods are a no-go around here? I got offered a pair of JL-770s for $75. They look brand new/never used. I know I could get them down to $50, but they arent worth it? I still have virgin ears when it comes to good audio.

89grand
02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I honestly wouldn't pay $50 for those, or even $20 to be honest.They probably don't sound absolutely horrible, but there are numerous better choices around the same price.

Big Tuna
02-14-2011, 04:27 PM
So I take it Kenwoods are a no-go around here? I got offered a pair of JL-770s for $75. They look brand new/never used. I know I could get them down to $50, but they arent worth it? I still have virgin ears when it comes to good audio. Not necessarily, you need to hear them with your own ears to be sure, but most of the "JL" offerings were 80's "rack buddies", as I call 'em. They are entry level basics with a few good ones in there, but not many, and are from a time when quality was poor. Read my previous post in this thread if you want to find out which Kenwoods were good. :yes:

Big Tuna
02-14-2011, 04:38 PM
So I take it Kenwoods are a no-go around here? I got offered a pair of JL-770s for $75. They look brand new/never used. I know I could get them down to $50, but they arent worth it? I still have virgin ears when it comes to good audio. Oh, and for those 770's, for $50 if they are as you describe, then they would definitely be worth it, if you like how they sound and look. Pay close attention to the surrounds of the woofers. If they are original, they are most likely rotted and need to be refoamed.

aceman
06-05-2011, 10:10 AM
does anyone know what year tha kenwood mv-7a/7d speakers were built, and how much they sold for?