View Full Version : Vintage CD players

Pages : 1 [2]

B3Nut
12-23-2008, 08:16 AM
The non-ES Sony CDP-750 has the TDA1541 chip too. The 550 and 350 below it do not, FWIW. I had a 750 many years ago...I'd love another one. I loved the separate index up/down keys it had, perfect for going between sections of the long Rush tunes (on the original Polygram reissues of Hemispheres etc. the long sections are indexed...ditto for the Polygram issue of Five Bridges by The Nice. No idea if the current reissues are mastered thus...)

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

bebopdeluxe
12-23-2008, 09:08 AM
When I was looking to put together a CD rig, I didn't want to spend a ton of scratch (since most of my listeneing was going to be on vinyl), and I wanted to work a little tube warmth into things, so I went with a used Cambridge CD4SE (around $200 from Spearit Sound) and a Cal Audio Sigma II tube DAC ($250 on EBay)...the nice thing about this rig was I was able to use a BNC connector (which, supposedly, is an excellent transmitter of digital audio signals).

I've never heard a really high-end CD rig, but for less than $500, I'm pretty pleased with my setup.

Jonesy09
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Cool thread. If I would have been more diligent a while ago I would have posed the question in this thread here.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198289

Some exterior shots here....

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195827

crackerkorean
12-23-2008, 07:08 PM
I dont know why its taken me so long to post in here. My frequent trips to the thrifts yielded me several vintage players and have been just as happy with those as I have been with my newer Phillips 963.

Here is a list of what I have
Luxman DX-104 (first one)
Denon DCD-1500
Sony CDP-102 with remote and all the paper work.
Keyocera 610 (stopped reading discs)
Shure (was told it was an NEC) that I accidently kicked down the stairs
and
A rotel RCD-855
I have to clean house too many players

Damage
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I have several Sony ES units, C85Es, 520-ES, and 209ES. I like them very much. I also have several Adcoms that I like very much. Not so vintage, but still a nice sound. I don't think quite as good as the Sonys, but that's just opinion.

I also have run several Tascam cd-writers. Never a complaint, but i think the Sonys still sound better.

The bad thing about buying vintage units, is that lots of times they absolutely needed recaps. I have had several just regular vintage units that hissed beyond belief.

cooper
12-24-2008, 02:59 AM
I've searched around for a CD repair thread and this is the closest I could find, so please redirect me if there is a better place...
I just got an NAD 5325 CD player by UPS - not well packed, and without the three transport screws. I was told it was shipped in working order, but now it will not find the CD. It shows '1' briefly on display, then 'dIsc'. (It was an Xmas gift to myself do it was a bit of a blow).What might have happened? Is it likely to be :
1. adjustment?
2. broken part?
3. forget it ?

thanks!

Dr. Music
12-26-2008, 10:51 PM
After much reading here I decided to track down a Sony ES player. I pulled the trigger on what seems to be a highly regarded unit that became available for what seems to be a decent price on the surface.... $60 for a Sony CDP-650ES DII. Not a GW or thrift shop price, but if it's in good shape I will certainly feel it is money well spent.

As I'm buying untested that remains to be seen, but hopefully I'll get a unit in good shape. Description given is good working order and good physical shape, so we'll see. I know there are Sony models that are held in higher regard, but this seems to be a good place for me to get started.

Damage
12-27-2008, 01:01 AM
After much reading here I decided to track down a Sony ES player. I pulled the trigger on what seems to be a highly regarded unit that became available for what seems to be a decent price on the surface.... $60 for a Sony CDP-650ES DII. Not a GW or thrift shop price, but if it's in good shape I will certainly feel it is money well spent.

I'm not sure, but doesn't that require an external DAC? Or does the DII designation mean it has a DAC inboard?

lorne
12-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Hi Troubleshoot: BTW I got your PM. I did a preliminary search on your CDP-650ESD II. I did not come up with a lot. But, our friend Axel, who owns The Vintage Knob site, indicates a family resemblance in his Sony ES section: 552ESD; CDP-650ESD; 555ESD; 705ESD. Does the 650ESD II belong in the list? I can't be sure. One thing is though, they are at variance in terms of their chips and pickups. You see here:

http://www.marantzphilips.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/#O.

I think that the price you paid is within the ballpark of modesty. So if the unit is a family member of some sort, and if it plays, I think that you should be satisfied.

The DAC chip is not among in the most sought-after catagory — IMHO. That does not mean that that there is anything wrong with it. Yamaha used the same DAC in their initial CD-1, and then in the CD-2 and maybe in the CD-3. That's encouraging. And, according to how it is engineered into the entire circuit, it may perform very well. OK, so this was an early unit, but if it is anything like say the 555ESD, I for one would have snagged it for the $60. If nothing else, it should make an excellent transport.

And it is here that perhaps I may be able to answer the question posed by Damage.The 'D' suffix indicates the capacity for digital bit stream data OUT, so you can use any outboard DAC you want. The 650ESD was the first Sony to allow this. In fact it may have been the first in the world. The CDP-650ESD II has its own on-board DAC, the Burr Brown PCM-53. The CDP-650ESD uses the PCM-54

As a transport, I don't think that you can go wrong — not for that price. The BU-1C pickup should be easy to get, and a cursory glance tells me it ain't on the stratospheric price list. Two outboard transformers bolted onto the back bulkhead — is that right? Way cool! It was a common Sony application back in the day. Try and repeat THAT build for $60 on a normal day.

So my take on this unit (since you asked) is this: get it running. See how it performs and how it reads various discs. You may like it 'as is', or you may want to think about a Scott Nixon, a DIY Paradise Monica-3 or one of the other outboard, non-oversampling DAC giant killers. Such a combination could easily put you in the position of getting some really excellent sound without having to spend a fortune in the high-end zone. I for one am in support of the idea that so-called obsolete players can be used as the most solid transports for a number of important reasons I've mentioned before — not the least of which is the power supply.

Because of the age of this unit, I'd be VERY bent towards changing out the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply board. If you can solder, get some good quality, low ESR caps. In this unit, you should be able to access the board through the bottom — is that right? There are probably a half dozen to a dozen caps involved. If you get that far we can tell you where to go to read about capacitor suggestions — brand and series. (There is no need to spend a fortune here; low ESR caps as used in industry would be fine.) The caps applicable to power supply should be relatively easy to identify, and changing them should pose little or no risk to the rest of the circuit. Believe me (others may disagree with me) these capacitors will be compromised by now, even (and perhaps especially) if they have been sitting doing nothing for decades. If any electronics ever needed solid power supply, it was/is digital.

Dr. Music
12-27-2008, 08:09 AM
I think that the price you paid is within the ballpark of modesty. So if the unit is a family member of some sort, and if it plays, I think that you should be satisfied.

As a transport, I don't think that you can go wrong — not for that price. The BU-1C pickup should be easy to get, and a cursory glance tells me it ain't on the stratospheric price list. Two outboard transformers bolted onto the back bulkhead — is that right? Way cool! It was a common Sony application back in the day. Try and repeat THAT build for $60 on a normal day.

Hi Lorne,

That you for the input!

I would have loved to be one of the Akers who can boast that they found one of these suckers at the local thrift shop for $10 but alas, twas not the case. I do figure that if it is performing in the range it did when built then $60 is a good price anyway.

From what I'm seeing in pictures of the innards of this grand old beast it does indeed seem to boast two outboard transformers. Having just taken a college class in electricity, that should make for a formidable amount of lines of flux creation! In regards to the mods that can be preformed on the board, I'm not at a level where I'm confident to make all of the improvements possible yet but my best friend is a career electronics whiz and I figure for a case of Bud those changes can be had. :scratch2:

Dr. Music
12-27-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm not sure, but doesn't that require an external DAC? Or does the DII designation mean it has a DAC inboard?

Hey Damage - Lorne seems to have the info. Heres the info I'm getting from online sources:

The CDP-552ESD was sold in the US as a CDP-650ESD. The upgraded version (CDP-650ESDII, aka CDP-552-ESDII in Europe) had an encapsulated PT, added headphones socket but the same DACs. I believe this revised version to be named CDP-553ESD in Japan (without the back switch, "accessory" connector or play mode switch).

So I'm taking this to say that there is an inboard DAC unit.

lorne
12-27-2008, 08:44 AM
From what I'm seeing in pictures of the innards of this grand old beast it does indeed seem to boast two outboard transformers. Having just taken a college class in electricity, that should make for a formidable amount of lines of flux creation! In regards to the mods that can be preformed on the board, I'm not at a level where I'm confident to make all of the improvements possible yet but my best friend is a career electronics whiz and I figure for a case of Bud those changes can be had.

(1) Slip us an URL where we can see the innards. I gotta see!

(2) Flux? If, like the CDP-555ESD, the X-formers are in metal boxes and are bolted to the metal bulkhead, it is one way to shield the transport from RF. I dunno about flux. Generally, twin X-formers were/are a way to dedicate supply — (a) to the transport, and (b) to the signal board. This was done in an effort to reduce jitter. The voltage coming off the secondary windings would be a lot different from each other. Whatever they are doing back there has to be better than sticking them nude inside the chassis — or rather it simplifies things and is one solution. Yamaha put theirs inside and made a very neat job of "canning" them in aluminum in the CDX series. My Sony 333ES cassette deck has an outboard mounted and "canned" X-former, albeit in steel.

(3) Changing out caps is NOT a modification. It is a refreshment of the original circuit if you retain the original values. In most cases, retaining those values should not be very difficult if you access the online supply houses among whom are some of our sponsors. There are hundreds of pages in AK on the subject of electrolytic capacitors and their life spans. You can look them up. What is important here concerns the effectiveness of the power supply section of your CDP. Sure, I could say change all of 'em throughout the player. But, I am trying to be modest here. I believe that changing out just a few caps in the power supply will ensure the optimum performance for the least effort and expense. And I believe that if your friend is proficient with the process of desoldering and soldering, then he/she can do an excellent deed in a couple of hours. Get the shop manual!

TAGO MAGO
12-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I have had a Denon from the 80's and used it until I wore it out. I currently have a Magnavox CDB-465 in the bedroom from the mid-80's which still fighting the good fight and a Pioneer PD-X88 in my office which is nothing special, but built like a tank.

TAGO MAGO
12-27-2008, 11:00 AM
I've searched around for a CD repair thread and this is the closest I could find, so please redirect me if there is a better place...
I just got an NAD 5325 CD player by UPS - not well packed, and without the three transport screws. I was told it was shipped in working order, but now it will not find the CD. It shows '1' briefly on display, then 'dIsc'. (It was an Xmas gift to myself do it was a bit of a blow).What might have happened? Is it likely to be :
1. adjustment?
2. broken part?
3. forget it ?

thanks!

I have a NAD changer and it is a bit of a dog. It sounds great on the rare occasion that it works properly. It looks cool, it's nice when it works, but I am convinced that British Leyland must have gotten into the audio business.

BrocLuno
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I did OK at the local Cancer Thrift on Christmas eve when out doing some last minute pick-ups for the company - snagged a Sony CDP 550 for $5. Listening to it right now - :scratch2:

Then I decide why not do some A-B-C testing? I have been running an older Magnavox CDB S60 compact disk player on my vinyl preview system It was an $8 thrift store pick-up. Always sounded pretty good to me. Not up to that standards of the Sony DVP NS725P down stairs in the HT system, but good enough to have displaced a Kyocera CX-310 long ago.

To make it all fair, I put on my Alesandro MS-1 phones and did (and am doing) the listening. I want to hear details and tonal values. Sort of a real critical test. By the way, this is being all fed through an HH Scott 355R receiver that was overhauled last year and is running better than factory spec.

So I hook the Sony up and drop in the CD sound track from "The Departed". It has a good mix of music and starts with Pink Floyd/Van Morrison/the Band doing "Comfortably Numb". It goes on through the Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Roy Buchanon, Allman Bros, etc. Has OK production values and not too over-compressed. I'm listening away and it sounds a bit harsh :nono: I go through four of five tracks and decide I'm not happy :no:

OK, back goes the Magnavox. Better, not great, but the same old "it's OK for as seldom as I play CDs on this system" sort of sound. The harshness and slightly bright sound is gone, but it ain't very involving.

Anyway, last year I bought an Onkyo SP404s all disk DVD Player as an addition to my (future) R2R system. It has a Burr-Brown DAC and it is 192 KHz with oversampling & upsampling. I had never heard it, but it had good reviews and was cheap enough at around $150 shipped. So I hook it up as the third piece in the test. By the time we get to Allman Bros, I'm hooked. Is it a killer sound? It is MUCH better. Smoother and more involving with noticeably better detail. Sort of make CDs actually listenable :music:

OK, so what does this prove? Well to me it says that old just can't keep up. The technologies have come a long way and that's all there is to that. Vintage CDPs are relegated to the garage systems. Sorry, but there is a reason these are in the thrifts even though they still play fine :(

guiller
12-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Sorry, but there is a reason these are in the thrifts even though they still play fine :(

My opnion is that this cannot be a general conclusion. It could be applied, at most, to the models you tried. I recently bought a new Cambridge Audio 640 C v2, much praised here and elsewere, and it sounds great, but cannot match the sound of my Denon DCD-1650G of 1991. That Denon was a top unit in its day, and the 4 d/a processors are the same featured in Accuphase models. No external DAC I´ve ever tried (in the less than 600 USD range) could ever displaced the quality of sound of those venerable dacs. I bought the Cambridge Audio (with dual Wolfson dacs) with the idea of finally replacing the Denon, but things didn´t came up that way. The bottom of the line of my observation is that some top vintage models still deliver quality above more average, but updated gear. At least, these are my two cents on this.

Dr. Music
12-27-2008, 04:41 PM
(1) Slip us an URL where we can see the innards. I gotta see!

I believe that if your friend is proficient with the process of desoldering and soldering, then he/she can do an excellent deed in a couple of hours. Get the shop manual!

Heres a URL with a small pic......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180315647880

Will be able to take my own pics when the sucker gets here but with holiday hours and mail, that might be anywhere from a week to two weeks. I figure tis best to be conservative in my expectations at the moment so if it shows early I'll be pleasantly surprised! No affiliation the the 'bay, of course.

I've been hunting about for a shop manual but have come up short so far. My pal is in Rio for the next few weeks.... lucky dog that he is!...... so I will have to woo him with beer on his return!

There is a local college area shop that sells CDs here locally, and the owner has turned half of the store into a vintage audio sales store as well, where he sells some beautiful old pieces for exorbitant prices. Not to say they aren't worth what he sells for, but good deals are far and few between. Anyway, I spied a lovely Sony XA7ES CDP without a price tag and asked him for a price; it wasn't for sale as he told me one channel was out and he was keeping it for repair. He also had a Denon 910 I was interested in, but it was going home with him as most of his stock was changers and he wanted a single disc players at home. Talk about being taunted... a store where the components aren't for sale!

Tinman
12-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Heres a URL with a small pic......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180315647880

Will be able to take my own pics when the sucker gets here but with holiday hours and mail, that might be anywhere from a week to two weeks. I figure tis best to be conservative in my expectations at the moment so if it shows early I'll be pleasantly surprised! No affiliation the the 'bay, of course.

I've been hunting about for a shop manual but have come up short so far. My pal is in Rio for the next few weeks.... lucky dog that he is!...... so I will have to woo him with beer on his return!

Hey! I have one of these! It's a great player. Mine was dead when I got it. It turned out that after much troubleshooting ( I have the SM in PDF, btw.) that the whole problem was a drop of goop they used to hold down a wire. Said goop becomes conductive over the years and stopped the master clock. Removing said goop restored the player. Linear motor for the pickup, cable drive, I believe for the tray... great unit. Although it won't displace my Studer A727 anytime soon.
But hey, the price was right.... Yep... free. Sorry.

treserious
12-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I have an old Marantz CD-45 which I find to be a very nice player, with a Digital out.
I also had a Mission PCM-7000 with a digital out that was a very competent player.

both of these players, used with a decent DAC will sound better than most players made today.

I do however agree that new players are far superior to the old, just in the fact that the DACs and OPamp technologies have come a long way in the last 24 years.

you are going to pay through the nose for a new player with similar build quality as the old players.

Dr. Music
12-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey! I have one of these! It's a great player. Mine was dead when I got it. It turned out that after much troubleshooting ( I have the SM in PDF, btw.) that the whole problem was a drop of goop they used to hold down a wire. Said goop becomes conductive over the years and stopped the master clock. Removing said goop restored the player. Linear motor for the pickup, cable drive, I believe for the tray... great unit. Although it won't displace my Studer A727 anytime soon.
But hey, the price was right.... Yep... free. Sorry.

Yo Tinman! Lets be pals my friend :). Would greatly appreciate that SM!

Hey, if you got a dead unit for free and took the time to give it the care it needed rather than see it die an ignominious death, how can I be (too) jealous of the price you (didn't) pay? :)

darko
12-27-2008, 07:56 PM
thats a Winner!

Replaced all Lytics and a Few Poly^s.
Also new Cables and better Output Interference Ceramics.

Sound very nice with Marantz 2285, Tannoy Little Red Monitors.
( ok, the Tannoys are a bit "straight" )

Cheers,
:yes:

Tinman
12-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Yo Tinman! Lets be pals my friend :). Would greatly appreciate that SM!

Hey, if you got a dead unit for free and took the time to give it the care it needed rather than see it die an ignominious death, how can I be (too) jealous of the price you (didn't) pay? :)

That's funny! I'm pals with a lot of people because I have a truck, too! :D

But sure, PM me your email.

BTW, when you receive the player, remove the bottom and post a pic. I want to see if they put the same wire and goo in yours. If so, you should delete the goo.

lorne
12-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi Troubleshoot: Thanks. I went to eBay and looked at the pics. Very nice. Reminds me a bit of my Kenwood 990SG. (I wanted to use it as a transport, but it needs a pickup that goes for $150 -$200.) But the Sony is nicer in some ways. Copper plated chassis! Gotta love that. On the upper right, there is the big but nude transformer. But let's not forget that it is shielded from the signal board by copper plated bulkheads! The sled has at least a metal sub-frame. The processing and servo sections on the lower left and the analog board on the upper right seem to have their own filter caps and voltage regulation. Very cool! And the heat sinks for the regulators look to be copper like in my Sansui alpha607i. (Copper prices at that time were through the roof.) And curiously — unless it is a choke? — there seems to be another transformer on the upper right. And if that is what it is, then it is supplying low voltage for the processor and analog sections. As soon as you get yours at the door, you'll know it the instant you pull the hood. The big black caps are proabably Elna for Audio caps and the red ones are probably Elna Cerafines.

Now for the mystifying part: The hump on the back has the SPDIF transmission on an RCA plug. What all else is in that hump I can't imagine. I can barely make it out due to the resolution, but there may be a switch in the right side of the hump. This switch would be used to short a signal to ground with an impedance of 75 Ohms. This load would be switched 'ON' in the event that the internal DAC is being used. In budget machines, we fabricate a shorting plug by using male RCA plug and a 75 Ohm resistor. (Something to remember when A/B testing CDP's).

So why is this port it on the LEFT? Usually it's on the right. Data is read off the disk on the transport section, bussed over to the processor and then off to the DAC for analog conversion. Usually you can expect to find op-amps, muting transistors and coupling caps along the way out to analog OUT.

So what is happening here? Is there cable routing under the boards and through the bulkheads that we can't see? Or was this earliest provision for digital signal OUT expecting an entire signal processor at the other end — not the combination of receiver and DAC that we have today. And the processor must be on the underside of the board right?

I'm fumbling here. I hope that an expert will jump in. I may have interpreted some things incorrectly, and there are things I don't understand about this machine. Nice machine no matter what it's doing!

Tinman
12-28-2008, 12:05 AM
On the picture, the top right board is the audio board with the 2 dacs and it's own power regulators, etc. The bottom right is the CPU/Servo board. Also with it's own regulators etc.

The master clock that runs the whole player is actually generated on the Audio/Dac board and distributed via a coax to the CPU/Servo.

Yes, there are some cables running underneath as well. At least on mine there are.

It's a well built player, excellent caps and a ton of copper. I think this one has the digital board in the can in the back. Mine has the digital board on top of the CPU/servo and cables running to the back to a smaller can housing the on/off switch to the digital out port.

Dr. Music
12-28-2008, 12:21 AM
That's funny! I'm pals with a lot of people because I have a truck, too! :D

But sure, PM me your email.

BTW, when you receive the player, remove the bottom and post a pic. I want to see if they put the same wire and goo in yours. If so, you should delete the goo.

Don't feel like the lone ranger on the truck friends.... I have my own truck buddies since I drive an F-150:scratch2:

Will PM with addy and post a pic when the sucker arrives :)

Dr. Music
12-28-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm fumbling here. I hope that an expert will jump in. I may have interpreted some things incorrectly, and there are things I don't understand about this machine. Nice machine no matter what it's doing!

Lorne- once this baby shows up I'll pull out the screwdrivers and camera..... we will investigate with bigger and better resolution as well as more angles! My Google efforts have been pretty pathetic in regards to this wee beast.....

guiller
12-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Here there is the High Fidelity magazine test report on the Onkyo DX-G10 of March 1988:

http://depositfiles.com/files/sl2utlas1
or
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=WJ7ZYQXE

All the best

guiller
12-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Here there is a scanned High Fidelity magazine test report (from May 1989) on the Denon DCD-3520 CDP:

http://depositfiles.com/files/edygjihjk
or
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=56UMOYTK

All the best

BrocLuno
12-28-2008, 01:08 PM
My opnion is that this cannot be a general conclusion. It could be applied, at most, to the models you tried. I recently bought a new Cambridge Audio 640 C v2, much praised here and elsewhere, and it sounds great, but cannot match the sound of my Denon DCD-1650G of 1991. That Denon was a top unit in its day, and the 4 d/a processors are the same featured in Accuphase models. No external DAC I´ve ever tried (in the less than 600 USD range) could ever displaced the quality of sound of those venerable dacs. I bought the Cambridge Audio (with dual Wolfson dacs) with the idea of finally replacing the Denon, but things didn´t came up that way. The bottom of the line of my observation is that some top vintage models still deliver quality above more average, but updated gear. At least, these are my two cents on this.

I quite agree that SOME top of the line older units may be able to hold their own. Glad you have yours :)

But those units are not being sold at the thrifts or on CL as far as I can see? Too scarce I guess. My comments are about average units found at garage sales, CL and the thrifts :(

guiller
12-28-2008, 02:22 PM
But those units are not being sold at the thrifts or on CL as far as I can see? Too scarce I guess. My comments are about average units found at garage sales, CL and the thrifts :(

Hi BrocLuno:

We completely agree on this! I just wanted to make room for the exceptional cases, not covered in a general statement. As a matter of fact, I´m still surprised about the way my Denon holds up against the weight of aiging.

All the best

Aydin
12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Having just acquired a Philips CD650 for a sensible sum of £20 ($30-ish)...
Now, I bought this on the basis of the CDM/2 transport, TDA1541 and ground plane PCB (well, and big heatsink sticking out the back :D), not on anyone else's opinion of the player. I tested it with headphones to see if it worked, then hit the 'net looking for mods. I "corrected" a few errors by the original designers, and tweaked this & that until it looked half decent (new output caps, bypass caps all over the show, separate voltage regulator for the oversampler)... THEN I put it into my main system and actually listened to it.

Best CD player I've ever heard.

From this, I conclude there are some very good vintage CD Players out there indeed. Maybe they're not as "detailed" or "revealing", but damn, they can still sound nice! - Isn't that what's important here?

And, of course, there are a massive numer of mods, not just for specific players but for just about anything with a "vintage" DAC in, since so much is known by the general tweaking public about the older chipsets.

I could draw an equating line between people ignoring the better vintage CDPs as being any good, and those at the dawn of transistors whom believed only the new technology could be any good... And how wrong they were... ;)

lorne
12-29-2008, 04:09 AM
I quite agree that SOME top of the line older units may be able to hold their own. I am wondering if a look at the budget players can shed some light on what our friend has said above. I'll name some I've owned:

Sony 222ES - c. 1986

Sansui alpha607i - I forget ... late 80's?

NAD -502 - 1995

Marantz 6000OSE late 90's and still being sold as new even a couple of years ago here in Japan

They all represent something in the range of the same price bracket taking into account inflation ... blah-blah. It should be noted that all these players were well-regarded when they were introduced. The Sony had some benefits of trickle-down from the high end ES series — good, thoughtful engineering. The same applied to the Sansui; it was the poor cousin of the fabulous 907. Go to HiFiDo and see what those still command on the market — if you can find one. The NAD got splendid reviews and came close to being a giant killer in the opinion of some enthusiasts. The Marantz also had excellent reviews, and it was used as a platform for considerable modification.

The point: not any really startling differences. Each had a character of their own. Fifteen to seventeen years variance among them, and we are left with a field of personal preferences (IMHO) as opposed to a clear demarcation in performance. I cannot say exactly what this means to the hi-end, but I suspect that success of one model over the other may have been in the finer points of engineering. And this may not have had so much to do with whether or not any certain genius was responsible for any particular design as much as how any specific design team managed to coordinate their respective bits of input. Of course the bean counters and the board of directors always have a definite effect too.

There seems to have been a curious role for engineering. If the process of inception, design, execution and production were allowed to proceed in the best possible way, engineering and the management of manufacturing may have been so trump the strides that were being made in chip technology. Out of the hundreds of models made over two decades, some were obvious triumphs while others were just .... just players that were more or less expensive ... that were more or less better or worse, but not much better or worse.

If I were confronted with the choice of having to replace a budget CD player today I'd skip to a $150 DVD player. If I were aiming for the high end, I'd go for a more expensive DVD player and a wambunctious DAC unit. But, that's another story.

KentTeffeteller
12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi,

I own the Magnavox version of the Philips CD-101. It plays well to this day (even reads CD-R well). 14 bit oversampled to 16 bit. CDM-0 Die Cast swing arm pro transport. Made in the Netherlands.

Tinman
12-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I have a collection of philips based players, ALL of them still work fine. The oldest is a CD-100 PRE_PRODUCTION sample! :thmbsp: It has no part numbers inside either. CDM-0 mech and 2 TDA-1540 DAC's.

Also own the CDP-101 from sony and a few others. But my favorites are the philips based machines. My Studer A727 is my workhorse. CDM-1 and TDA1541 DAC. Nothing remarkable, but built like a battleship.

There's a lot of life left in some of the vintage CDP's yet. Though I must agree that there were many lousy players made too. This does hold true especially today with profit margins being the highest criteria in designing a product. Advanced technology or not.

Gimme a veteran any day. :thmbsp:

Dr. Music
12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
If I were confronted with the choice of having to replace a budget CD player today I'd skip to a $150 DVD player. If I were aiming for the high end, I'd go for a more expensive DVD player and a wambunctious DAC unit. But, that's another story.

I'm curious as to what recommendations Akers might make in that regard? What DVD players would be good choices to use in lieu of a CD player, both in the $150 range and the higher end units? There are soooo many on the market these days.

Hell, in my own household there are several inexpensive DVD units; three Sonys, a Toshiba, two Philips and a 5 disc Panasonic model......

inspired
12-29-2008, 01:33 PM
There seems to be a bit of support for the Sony PS3 as a decent platform for CD. You get free wi-fi networkability if you have a digital mp3 collection on a computer hard drive or flash stick, ipod connectivity, and a great DVD / Blu-Ray player to boot.

lorne
12-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm curious as to what recommendations Akers might make in that regard? What DVD players would be good choices to use in lieu of a CD player, both in the $150 range and the higher end units?Therein we are in danger of floundering off-topic. If you type Tosh or Toshiba into the search window you should get a good start.

Dr. Music
12-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Therein lies a recommendation ;)

Calcapt737
12-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I have a Kyrocera 710cx which I think sounds fantastic. From what I have read they are suppose to be one of the best vintage ones out there. I bought it new in 1986 along with the rest of my Kyrocera system and ElectroVoice 35i speakers and it all sounds great. Have never had any problems with the deck dispite the fact that it, along with everything else, sat in a closet for 11 years.

andyc
12-30-2008, 01:14 AM
I have a Marantz CD-54 (circa 1984) that I love to bits, It's got a very "warm" sound to it and I use it as my main cd source. But my biggest fear is once the laser goes in it what do I do??? Does anyone here have suggestions of replacement lasers either old or new that will not compromise its original sound quality? Appreciate any feedback that I can get.
Thanks

guiller
12-30-2008, 03:41 AM
I have a Marantz CD-54 (circa 1984) that I love to bits, It's got a very "warm" sound to it and I use it as my main cd source. But my biggest fear is once the laser goes in it what do I do??? Does anyone here have suggestions of replacement lasers either old or new that will not compromise its original sound quality? Appreciate any feedback that I can get.
Thanks

Hi Andyc:

According to http://www.marantzphilips.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/ , the Marantz CD-54 has a Phililps CDM-1 laser unit. As far as I know, you would have to replace the entire laser mechanism, not just the pickup. Since those mechanisms are not available as spare parts, you could try fiding a donor CDP with the same laser mechanism and few hours of actual usage. The good news is that many CDPs share that mechanism ( you could find them using the above link).

All the best

andyc
12-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks guiller for your response and the link! It amazes me that every time I've requested help or advice on this site that someone has responded promptly (I love this site), thanks again!

Tinman
12-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Andyc,

Fortunately the CDM-1 is nearly indestructable. Most likely you will have to oil the spindle motor and change a few capacitors on the mech before the laser ever dies.

And even IF, it's still possible to find donors.

lorne
12-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Does anyone here have suggestions of replacement lasers either old or new that will not compromise its original sound quality? Looks like guiller is right. The CDM-1 module seems to be a pretty rare bit of kit. There seems to be a family of similar parts, but any attempts to adapt one for another may be a bag of snakes. Here is a part from what is being claimed was a working machine:

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300283124053

Note 'no returns'.

ke4mcl
12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
i have a cdp101 from sony with its original box. disk drawer tray quit opening (maybe a slipping belt) but otherwise it works and doesn't sound that bad for early CD. its built like a tank. aside from the novelty though i would have to side with most folks on here and say use an old player with an external dac if you're really looking for good sound from an old cd player.

Aydin
12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
i would have to side with most folks on here and say use an old player with an external dac if you're really looking for good sound from an old cd player.
... And don't want to mod it to hell and back :D

Has anyone had any luck actually attempting to replace just the laser within the pickup, before?
I did this as an experiment with an old non-working Hitachi CD player (completely destroyed loading mechanism, half dead laser...) And, well... After some tweaking it did work, but I wasn't using anything remotely like the original diode. Wouldn't play CD-Rs at all.

With a bit more effort, could this be the way forwards for those with a lot of watch repair equipment laying around and dead vintage CD players?

Tinman
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
i have a cdp101 from sony with its original box. disk drawer tray quit opening (maybe a slipping belt) but otherwise it works and doesn't sound that bad for early CD. its built like a tank. aside from the novelty though i would have to side with most folks on here and say use an old player with an external dac if you're really looking for good sound from an old cd player.

The CDP-101 has a cam in the tray mechanism that gums up thanks to sony's glue lube. Open it, flip it upside down, take the cover off and look at all the gummed up gears. Get that goop out of there and re-lube with a little lithium grease. The thing will run like new.

Dr. Music
01-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Sony CDP-650 ESII arrived today.

She is a thing of beauty! I'm just starting to access the old gal. Heavy? You bet. Very accurate sound, deep, clean, strong. Separation is phenomenal. I think I expected something more subdued than what I'm hearing; what I'm hearing is really detailed in a way I'm not used to these days. Transport is smooth as butter and the unit is in extremely good condition given it's age. MUCH more listening is necessary of course. Methinks I could live with this one for a while........ senior or not, this is a very musical CD player.......

Please excuse bachelor's window covering and impromptu shelving ;).....

Dr. Music
01-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Lorne- once this baby shows up I'll pull out the screwdrivers and camera..... we will investigate with bigger and better resolution as well as more angles! My Google efforts have been pretty pathetic in regards to this wee beast.....

A few nudies of the CDP-650ES DII.....

Tinman
01-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Very nice! Looks like it's in good shape. I would be curious to see the underside of the boards, if you ever feel inclined to remove the bottom cover. I wonder if that glue is there.

Dr. Music
01-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Pretty sure no one has endeavored inside since she left the factory from the looks of the screws and screwholes.....I've still got the top off letting her spin right now Tin...I just cleaned the rails and slides and applied fresh thin oil, and cleaned the lens with optical lens cleaner..... dunno if I'm dying to take her bottom off at the moment though :)......... then again, is there ever a good time? At your behest I believe I will......

Dr. Music
01-06-2009, 02:58 AM
Very nice! Looks like it's in good shape. I would be curious to see the underside of the boards, if you ever feel inclined to remove the bottom cover. I wonder if that glue is there.

Here ya go, Tin. Not seeing a smidgen of goop. A little hard glue in one spot but she's not anything but solidified.....

japon
01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Have too many older cdp's - Pioneer PD-S801, Denon DCD-1400, Rotel RCD 970 BX, Mission PCM II. Will be doing a comparison over the next couple of weeks. Any thoughts on which I should keep - I only need two. Cheers!

Synchro-bias
01-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Technics SL-P350 (1988)
Technics SL-P555 Class AA (1989)
Both sound great. I am impressed with the players
previous owned a SOny, but it was 1996 so i dont think it would fit the vintage cd player list :) also had a Phillips Portable CD Player

Tinman
01-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Here ya go, Tin. Not seeing a smidgen of goop. A little hard glue in one spot but she's not anything but solidified.....

Where exactly is that "one spot"? If you wouldn't mind....

Mine was on the top board, just not visible on your pic. It was a hard spot of glue holding a wire. It also stopped the clock from running.

Interestingly, your player seems to be a slightly different variant. Mine has an extra digital board screwed on top of the DAC board. It sort of looks like yours is a little newer. Maybe they figured this out and re-routed the clock line from the Servo board to the DAC board. If that's true, you should not have any problems.

suthernprog
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Latest addition in my rebuild (from the ground) is a JVC XL-Z444. Got it for 17 bucks at a thrift store and so far I love it. It even plays all my cd-rs which I'd had trouble with on my newer Sony 5 disc changer which I have ditched. Overall, pretty happy.

lorne
01-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Hi Troubleshoot: Thanks for the pics. First impressions — just my two cents worth — they were not trying to dazzle the punters; they were engineering. Some nice OEM caps. Shielding has been a major consideration. Rigid chassis. You have a single PCM53 DAC chip and a Sony BU-IC laser pickup according the the marantzphillips chart. If you get hankering for more of something this would be an excellent candidate for deck duty. An all round swell find I'd say.

wilkes85
01-28-2009, 06:12 AM
I never would have thought ANY CD players were good. I would never buy one used. They never last more than a few years. I remember they would break down all the time.

But I haven't had any problems recently with CD players breaking down, because I rarely even play CDs anymore.

Maestro_T
01-28-2009, 07:15 AM
I recently bought a Denon DCP-570 and decided to compare it with a Pioneer DV-343 DVD player that doesn't want to show anything visual, but will play music.

I wouldn't say there was a WORLD of difference, but the Denon did seem to produce more definition to my ears. Unfortunately, it also seems to be tempermental in that it sometimes doesn't want to play the first or last track on a disc.

It seems to me like CD and DVD players are all tempermental after a little while, and sometimes that's not even with very much use.

TJLitt
01-28-2009, 07:53 AM
I never would have thought ANY CD players were good. I would never buy one used. They never last more than a few years. I remember they would break down all the time.

I hear the same, frequently. Yet, the Pioneer I list in my sig has been in use, pretty frequently, since the early 1990's when I bought it, and still sounds better than a few I have A-B'd it against in recent years. Maybe it's my ears, maybe it's my system, I don't know why. I am certain a decent infusion of cash would get me a CD setup that would blow the Pioneer away, sonically.
Every option I've tested it against would have cost me less than $600, so I haven't ventured into a higher range. Admittedly, I listen to LPs more frequently, but I like the multi-disc changer idea for mindless listening(parties
and other background useage). Do these Pioneer CD changers have a decent reputation, because, from what I've seen, they sound pretty good and are durable?

lorne
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I never would have thought ANY CD players were good. I would never buy one used. They never last more than a few years. I remember they would break down all the time. Possibly your experience would be different with high-end players that are now affordable for more of us due to their vintage — and views and opinions like yours. I almost refrain from saying this, because regardless of whether the issue is a matter of experience, ignorance, informed opinion or all three, the pressure remains low in the market of high-end, vintage CD players. They certainly are not everyone's cup of tea for reasons we discuss here. The average consumer may not want to apply.

But, I have to say that diminishing prices are not quite the case in Japan. And so we may be left to choose a conclusion: we enthusiasts of the islands are either wankers, or we have noticed something. Just trot over to HiFiDo and see what some of these units are selling for — with warranties in many cases!But I haven't had any problems recently with CD players breaking down, because I rarely even play CDs anymore. I use a basic model Micro Seiki with a British arm and an American cart. I modified the TT in a number of ways and moved the Xformer outboard. Then I called it quits. Diminishing returns and the cost of old vinyl here in Japan called on a much higher income and committment than I was able to justify. We each have to make our own choices, and each choice will be the correct one in most cases. I am sure that you have made the correct choice for you.

If I pay $40 for a bottle of estate bottled claret I will be expecting an exhilerating experience. I will be so expectant and critical that if the wine is anything less than exemplary, I will feel disapointed, let down and anxious. Anybody with my income would be stupid to buy such wine in the first place, but let it stand for argumant's sake. A carefully selected table wine costing a mere $4 or $5 can be very enjoyable. The derived pleasure can be equal to that of a bottle three times the price. Moreover the pleasure is increased by not having invested a week of lunch money or a new pair of shoes. For me, much about audio is like that.

If I had coin, I'd have a $10K rig spinning an entire room full of collectible vinyl, and banks of hand-made push-pull tube gear driving the best Tannoys and or Maggies the planet ever saw. But I like what I got — CDX-1020 and all. See my signature.

And you are right. They fail. They all burn through laser pickups at some point. But even the most expensive ones do not come up to what it costs to re-tip even a modest MC cart.

Joe P
01-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I am still using my Sony CDP701es, as my primary player, since I got it new around 1990 I guess. It works great, and sounds really good to me. I am looking for another player for a different system, possibly an Adcom GCD 600. I have always been intrigued by the Carver SDA "t" models with the tube output, but never heard much about them good or bad. Mostly Carver is one of those companies I have always wanted a peice from, but don't need another amp, sub etc.

bobrown14
01-28-2009, 09:38 PM
A carefully selected table wine costing a mere $4 or $5 can be very enjoyable. The derived pleasure can be equal to that of a bottle three times the price.

Cheers to you as I sip a glass of old vine Zinfandel whilst listening to local Jazz on my (ahem) radio. Reading your post makes me want to throw on a record. Nice!

I think the point is that there are PLENTY of old (vintage to me is pre 1980) good CD players out there for a very good price. If you do your homework you can find a good one in decent condition. I've got a few good old ones - Tascam 401 MK II and an old Sony - both still play the tunes and can stand up to the newer stuff. I've got an HHB 830 and it's mother/sister Pioneer PD-609 (with the SMS crap - HHB without, Identical otherwise). Hard to say which sounds better. Do some homework - it's why we are here.
There are some VERY nice older units that will sound superb. Vinyl is still better when you run the good stuff and have mint- condition vinyl. [shields up]

Love digital and i love analog. Heck if I'm too tipsy to mess with LP's then I will merrily skip along with my old CD player and NEVER hear the difference. (no pun).

Cheers,

Bob

Yamahalic
02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
My starter systems consisted of some newer (late 1980's, early 1990s) CD players that were very typical of today (good specs, VERY lightweight, cheap sounding disk tray mechs, cheap feeling buttons, cheap case construction), then....I purchased my Yamaha CDX-2000 (the jewel of my components). This is one "vintage" CD Player that may straddle the definition of "vintage" to some, but it was definitely designed in a vintage way, with some an audiophile design mentality.

Visual Candy:
This is my first (and only) component with wood sides (solid wood structural, not just decor), which is very "vintage". It also has an industrial design type brushed aluminum case that begs to be seen.

Structural and Operational Bliss:
The disk tray mechs are very smooth and substantial sounding, a pleasure to operate. And, this baby weighs in at 16kg (35lbs 3oz), so I am "moved" very time I have to move it. Pretty much every part of this player was well thought out, and designed to impress.

Aural Ecstacy:
I was SHOCKED how much better this player sounded! Later, I reviewed the specs and discovered that higher level components, even from days past, can still produce state-of-the-art sound by today's standards.

:D Bottom line...good vintage CD players can be quite a fulfilling experience, with some attributes (most notably in construction) that can only be had with the extreme high end CD players of today (read: very expensive).

http://www.hifido.co.jp/photo/07/095/09586/c.jpg
http://audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/player/cdx-2000.JPG

gener8tr
07-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Reviving an old thread...

Yesterday I picked up a BSR CD-316X CD player (February 1986) at a rummage sale for $5.00.

The little unit was covered in dust, but other than needing a good windex cleaning (and compressed air blow-out) it is near perfect without a single scratch or mark on the cover or face.

I tested it first thinking the transport would be shot, or the laser would be all but toast, but to my surprise everything tested perfectly (including FF, Reverse, Time Remaining, Advance Track, etc.).

I took it home, cleaned it up and it now looks and works as good as new.

Haven't had the chance to test it against any of my other vintage CDP's, but the internals include some SONY parts, so I'm guessing it's at least decent.

Anyone own an old BSR back in the day?

aenimo
07-22-2009, 03:33 AM
Hi!

As this thread is now reviving, I wondered if anyone here would have any old CD player's ads to share for my website.
Moreover, It's now possible for any vintage CDP owner to upload pictures of his player and write a short review about it. Of course this player shouldn't be reviewed in the online pages yet, and good quality pictures are required.

Anyone?

Thanks a lot

This website: http://vintage-audio-laser.com/

Len44
07-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Visual Candy:
This is my first (and only) component with wood sides (solid wood structural, not just decor), which is very "vintage". It also has an industrial design type brushed aluminum case that begs to be seen.

Structural and Operational Bliss:
The disk tray mechs are very smooth and substantial sounding, a pleasure to operate. And, this baby weighs in at 16kg (35lbs 3oz), so I am "moved" very time I have to move it. Pretty much every part of this player was well thought out, and designed to impress.

Aural Ecstacy:
I was SHOCKED how much better this play sounded! Later, I reviewed the specs and discovered that higher level components, even from days past, can still produce state-of-the-art sound by today's standards.

:D Bottom line...good vintage CD players can be quite a fulfilling experience, with some attributes (most notably in construction) that can only be had with the extreme high end CD players of today (read: very expensive).

VERY impressive!!! :thmbsp: I was able to latch onto the CDX-2020 model a couple of years back, and it too is one superb player. Highly recommend this series. :yes:

KentTeffeteller
07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
aenimo,

Excellent web site now bookmarked. Please publish an English translation if possible, many AK members would appreciate it. I own a Magnavox FD 1010SL which I have owned since 1983. Never once let me down in all these years and still sounds splendid. My documentation is missing. PDF's of your player documentation would be a nice touch for download. Thanks for an excellent site. I do need to learn French passably. :tresbon:

aenimo
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
aenimo,

Excellent web site now bookmarked. Please publish an English translation if possible, many AK members would appreciate it. I own a Magnavox FD 1010SL which I have owned since 1983. Never once let me down in all these years and still sounds splendid. My documentation is missing. PDF's of your player documentation would be a nice touch for download. Thanks for an excellent site. I do need to learn French passably. :tresbon:

OK, Thank you!!

For sure I would publish an English translation if I had time enough...and if I my english was better. A bilingual website needs (IMHO) a perfect translation and as the content of my site is technical orientated, it's an even more complicated task.
However, I intend to do it sooner or later, and as you may have noticed on the site's mainpage, I am searching for a person who might help in this translation.
As for the technical documentation, I will probably add PDf files within the next 6 months. These files should contain at least the schematics for some players (the entire manual is a lot of work to scan), which could help in case of trouble with one's player.:yes:

As far as your Magnavox FD1010 is concerned, I would be glad to include pictures of it in the website, knowing that I own several early Magnavox players (all bought from the USA), but this one is missing (In fact I own the CD101 Philips version).
It's up to you if you feel like picture it, write a short comment, and upload these documents on vintage-audio-laser. Of course, I would copyright it for you.

Let me know if you are interested in that idea. Anyway there's no hurry.
;)

tubeboob
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Put my vote in for the 1989 Magnavox CDB-610 cd player. Well built and with sonics that surprise.

Cheers

Yamahalic
07-22-2009, 10:15 PM
VERY impressive!!! :thmbsp: I was able to latch onto the CDX-2020 model a couple of years back, and it too is one superb player. Highly recommend this series. :yes:

I agree of course. The CDX-2000 was a rare beast indeed, a worthy CDP after the incredible CDX-10000 was made. The CDX-2020 was a transitional player with some design points from the earlier units, and some high end digital upgrades (4 DACs). All are quite heavy and exhibit excellent build quality...

CDX-10000 (55lbs)
http://k-nisi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cdx-10000-h.jpg

CDX-2000 (35lbs)
http://audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/player/cdx-2000.JPG

CDX-2020 (35lbs)
http://output.main.jp/ws_amplifier/material/cdx-20201_w.jpg

Wolverine
07-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Here is another pic of my DCD-1800.
A great vintage player that still sounds great!

Pandora
07-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I have not read all the posts here, but is it not a contradiction: a "vintage" CD-player?
Vintage to me means anything before digital, before CD, DAT, MiniDisc etc. Vintage hi-fi is LP's, cassettes, 1/4 inch analog tape. Vintage equipment is (silver faced) tube or transistor amps, analog tuners, cassette decks, record players and analog tape decks. Vintage speakers are pre CAD designs, made with hands and ears, not computers.

The first time I read about a CDP with tube circuitry in it, I fell off my chair laughing....

deaner33
07-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Vintage is a relative term when talking about CD players. I tend to think of players from the 80's as "vintage". YMMV.

Jack Lord
07-23-2009, 09:48 AM
I have not read all the posts here, but is it not a contradiction: a "vintage" CD-player?
Vintage to me means anything before digital, before CD, DAT, MiniDisc etc. Vintage hi-fi is LP's, cassettes, 1/4 inch analog tape. Vintage equipment is (silver faced) tube or transistor amps, analog tuners, cassette decks, record players and analog tape decks. Vintage speakers are pre CAD designs, made with hands and ears, not computers.

The first time I read about a CDP with tube circuitry in it, I fell off my chair laughing....

I guess CD Players have been around long enough to have a vintage class.

The first CDPs appeared on the market during the twilight of the silver era (early 1980s). Consequently, there are many which were designed with silver and wood rather than black plastic. Many of us are fond of them as they fit in well with our vintage silver systems.

As they were the cusp of a new technology, they were quite expensive. As a result many are rare. A good example is the fabled Pioneer P-D70. Simply gorgous to behold.

As for vintage MiniDisc, that would be doubtfull.:D

aenimo
07-23-2009, 10:47 AM

Hi Pandora,

I understand that one can doubt about a CDP being vintage or not.
I asked the question to myself when I stated my CDP collection.
I now own more than 200 working players, and I suggest that we all compare a "full plastic" sony KSS 213 laser unit (mounted on many modern, expensive "Highend" players):

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7177/kss213r.th.jpg (http://img254.imageshack.us/i/kss213r.jpg/)

with the Kenwood L-03DP (or Toshiba XR-Z90) Mecha assembly, here (more pictures for this player on my website):

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1879/l03dpmeca.jpg (http://img444.imageshack.us/i/l03dpmeca.jpg/)

Doesn't it look like "oldie"? I think it's time we considered old CDP's like "vintage" items before they have completely disappeared.

This is my opinion ;)

gener8tr
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
The #1 horse in my stable... The mighty Yamaha CD-1 (1983) obtained a couple years ago in mint / like new condition with original box and all paperwork :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/gener8tr/100_0259.jpg

aenimo
07-23-2009, 02:26 PM
The #1 horse in my stable... The mighty Yamaha CD-1 (1983) obtained a couple years ago in mint / like new condition with original box and all paperwork :)

Yes it's a wonderful player.

I own 3 Yamaha CD1 (also like new with user's manual), and 2 CD1a, which is a lot harder to find.

Really beautiful players.

Yamaha CD1a:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9159/cd1alr.jpg (http://img353.imageshack.us/i/cd1alr.jpg/)

deaner33
07-23-2009, 03:44 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/gener8tr/100_0259.jpg

Yes it's a wonderful player.

I own 3 Yamaha CD1 (also like new with user's manual), and 2 CD1a, which is a lot harder to find.

Really beautiful players.

Yamaha CD1a:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9159/cd1alr.jpg (http://img353.imageshack.us/i/cd1alr.jpg/)

Sweet Jeebus those Yamahas are sexy. :drool:

majick47
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
The one I'm listening to right now in my second system I bought from Tweeter in Boston around 1990. Listening to Van Morrison/Astril Weeks and it sounds excellent. In the last 10 years I also purchased a Yamaha CDX-2020 and CDX-2000 for backup. I'll agree with the others that the CDX-2020 is the most detailed of the three and the Denon DCD-2530 is a close second. All three have been recently cleaned, serviced with new belts etc and run 100%. I was fortunate to get all the remotes, owners manuals etc. I count my audio blessings that I have three of the top vintage CD players where neither the build quality or sonics were comprimised. With a well recorded CD these three will give a good vinyl rig a run for its money. Off hand the few new highend CD players that could compete in build quality with these are from Accuphase and Sony costing buco bucks.

Wolverine
07-23-2009, 08:43 PM

You might want to stop laughing.
Here is a link to a tube CD player I am sure there are others out there......

http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd100a.shtml

Pandora
07-24-2009, 04:50 AM
You might want to stop laughing.
Here is a link to a tube CD player I am sure there are others out there......

http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd100a.shtml

ANY tube causes 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion, what some call "warmth".
LOTS of CDP's have clock problems with their DAC.

Only one DAC seperates the clocks sufficiently: the Benchmark DAC-1 (http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/?last=3#news) and its successors.

crackerkorean
07-24-2009, 06:49 AM
ANY tube causes 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion, what some call "warmth".
LOTS of CDP's have clock problems with their DAC.

Only one DAC seperates the clocks sufficiently: the Benchmark DAC-1 (http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/?last=3#news) and its successors.

I am really not sure how your comments are constructive to the subject of this thread.

On a better note....

I need to take some pics of my vintage players.
I have a magnavox (parts doner for my rotel) a marantz and Luxmans First.
Here is the only pic I have of the luxman right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/crackerkorean/Audio/IMG_3644.jpg

blackfly
07-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I believe that question was posed in Stereophile not long ago. Basically the answer was that the improvements have been so dramatic that there are no good vintage CD players. Competant new gear is much better than any of the older gear.

I suppose some of them could be modified with new opamps etc but the general thought was that it all belongs in a dumpster.

This is funny.

I just had a Denon DCD 3520 (1989) recapped with new opamps. I went this route rather than purchase a NEW Bryston BCD 1. Why?

The 3520 is 45lb of copper plated chassis with a table tray that could handle a hammer. Extruded aluminum is thick and solid. CD spinning apparatus is robust and built to last.

Frankly, I would venture the BCD1 would be in the heap long before the 3520 is. I just had a new laser installed and have a NEW spare. And I also have digital outs so if I so choose I can get a new DAC and use the 3520 as a transport only.

Transports have gotten worse over time but DACs have gotten better. Best of both worlds.

Yamahalic
07-24-2009, 11:51 PM
...In the last 10 years I also purchased a Yamaha CDX-2020 and CDX-2000...the CDX-2020 is the most detailed...

You are fortunate indeed :thmbsp: Your two Yamaha units, along with the mighty CDX-10000 are three of the most desirable "vintage" players ever. I imagine that the impressive 4 DAC system in the CDX-2020 may have something to do with your observation of it being the most detailed. The built quality of these Yamahas is incredible, and the CDX-2000/2020 units weight of 35lbs are quite the reminder (very vintage IMO) every time they need to be moved. I cannot imagine moving around the 55lb CDX-10000...but I sure would like to try.:D

BroonsBane
07-24-2009, 11:58 PM
I cannot imagine moving around the 55lb CDX-10000...but I sure would like to try.:D

Amen brother :yes:

Yamahalic
07-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Here is the CDP that I own...in my dreams :yes:

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/player/gt-cd1.JPG

Tinman
07-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I own 2 Studer A727's. Got them from a clean out at CBS when they closed their old studio. Stock photo here, I don't work well with cameras.

The Studers have left me nothing to be desired. Built like a battleship and my favorite Philips components. I actually have a nice collection of vintage CDP's, but these are my favorites. :thmbsp:

BroonsBane
07-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I own 2 Studer A727's. Got them from a clean out at CBS when they closed their old studio. Stock photo here, I don't work well with cameras.

The Studers have left me nothing to be desired. Built like a battleship and my favorite Philips components. I actually have a nice collection of vintage CDP's, but these are my favorites. :thmbsp:

Wow, that player is absolutely gorgeous! :drool:

BroonsBane
07-25-2009, 12:01 PM

This one is worth at least 5 of these: :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: and one for good measure! :drool:

Laserdude
10-22-2009, 05:17 PM
I have Some 1. Gen players too:

Philips CD100, CD202, CD303.
Sanyo DAD-M15 Vertical loader.
Micro Seiki CD-M1 Vertical loader.
Technics SL-P8.
Yamaha CD2.
Mission DAD7000R.
Toshiba XR-Z70.

And the first Discman Sony D50

mufster
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
My vintage cd players currently in use:

Kenwood DP-1100SG
Philips CD960
Marantz CD-74
Sony CDP-7F

Soon to receive(in the post)
Sony CDP-337ESD
Yamaha CDX-1100

Then it's face off time. Two I'll keep, the rest I'm selling.

JHoman
12-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I love my Magnavox CDB 650!:banana:

Raddek
12-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Has anyone ever tried using a Philips CD-I System as a standalone CD Player ? I own the CDI-220 model and it has the CDM-9 Transport.

Also, going along with the thread, I actually prefer the older Philips/Magnavox CD Players made in the 80's. I do have a few older Sony CD players also from the 80's but they all sound too 'bright' or 'tinny' to me, which hurts my ears after a while of listening to them. The Magnavox players are much more forgiving.

Owns: Magnavox FD1000
Magnavox CDB-650
Philips CD-I 220
Sony CDP-101
Sony CDP-102
Sony CDP-302ES
Toshiba XR-J9
Playstation 3 for SACD

nailer
01-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Philips CD-80
JVC 1010TN
CAL Tempest

lorne
01-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Transports have gotten worse over time but DACs have gotten better. Best of both worlds.blackfly: I agree with your idea completely and chose a Yamaha CDX-1020 to be my transport because of its very solid construction and the heartiness of the power supply section. I use a Monica II DAC. New with the old. I'll fish high end players out of the dumpster any time I spot them.

goldwax
01-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Sorry, but to me this looks like spawn from the unholy coupling of this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41pTVITmg9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31hMe7W58VL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You rock on, though!

JimmyNeutron
01-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't know why there aren't more pictures in this thread. I love seeing these old CD players - really brings back some fond memories.

Anyway, here is my CD player: a Technics SL-P3. I've had it since I was about mmmmmmm....about 15 years old or so. It was my first CD player that I ever owned. I remember going in to Mobile Hi-Fi and putting the SL=P1 on layaway. I could'nt afford to buy it cash. After 4 months I was ready to take it out. Then I saw the SL-P3. It was $100.00 more, but dang it was prettier. More lights, more buttons. I decided to keep paying until I got the SL-P3. I've had it ever since. It plays every disc I own - CD-R's too. I love it. And it sounds really nice too.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc85/jimmyneutron1003/IMG_3922.jpg?t=1262541156

Jimmy

deaner33
01-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I have one of those waiting to be restored. Do you still have the remote? If so, can you post a picture of it & the model #? I need to try to track the remote down.

JimmyNeutron
01-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I have one of those waiting to be restored. Do you still have the remote? If so, can you post a picture of it & the model #? I need to try to track the remote down.

Here is a remote I googled. I lost my remote many years ago. I regularly search eBay for a replacement.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc85/jimmyneutron1003/technicsslp3remote.jpg?t=1262542328

Jimmy

deaner33
01-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Hmm, I wonder if other remotes will work with it, either learning/universal remotes or other Technics remotes?

magnaplaner
01-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I still have my yamaha cdx 820 with remote, and it sounds fine.looks brand new

Bynem
01-23-2010, 11:57 PM
My vintage cd players currently in use:

Kenwood DP-1100SG
Philips CD960
Marantz CD-74
Sony CDP-7F

Soon to receive(in the post)
Sony CDP-337ESD
Yamaha CDX-1100

Then it's face off time. Two I'll keep, the rest I'm selling.

Good to see this.:thmbsp:
I have a similar Kenwood (dunno what the SG stands for, I admit).:D
This machine was an eBay rescue. I bought it 15 years after I heard a DP-850 at a local shop and was amazed that a black plastic Kenwood player cost that much ($850 list in the mid to late 1980s), and sounded that good. It's as musical as anything in Arcam's non FMJ line.

I also have a DP-1000. They are the best sounding CDPs I have ever owned. I'd love a Mac, a high end Denon or a Sony ES, but I do not have $300 to $2000 to throw at another player. New, used or indifferent. I'll use these two until the lasers die.

Theophilus Punoval
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
And, depending on their attitude about the whole thing, might go away wearing their balls for a necklace.

What if it's a girl?

mwelna
02-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Love the vintage CDP's!! Here's a couple of pictures of my NEC's, a CD-810 and a CD-730.

nbarber
02-02-2010, 11:47 PM
It seems to be an argument of aesthetics vs function. I have a mint condition DCD-1500 MKII that I have thought about gutting and fitting the works from my Toshiba DVD player ($49.95 at Costco 3 years ago). The Toshiba has a 24 bit DAC and digital out but it is ugly and weighs about 10oz but sounds great. I think a minimum standard on component weight should be that the unit does not move when simply pushing a button (I guess that’s why they all come with remotes now). I have seen some extraordinary examples of gamer’s modding the cases of gaming consoles. It stands to reason that the same should be true of audio components. One more project for when I have “free time”

danj
02-03-2010, 04:05 AM
My wife is using a Sharp CD player that we bought, new, at least 20 years ago for about $200. That was an inexpensive deck for those times. It's been played almost daily and has never given a single problem. Sound quality is good and, well, who can gripe about that kind of reliability?

It's a 4X oversampling, single-DAC unit. We bought it because it sounded better than the similarly priced Sony, Panasonic, and Pioneer players we tried. It's the only Sharp audio product I've ever owned other than a radio.

My other CD players (Sony, Denon, and Technics) are all much newer. The nicest one is the Denon but the Technics has better controls, and the Sony, by the tiniest of margins, the best sound.

Be aware that it is unlikely that any vintage player will be able to play an MP3 disc and many of the earlier ones won't play a CD-R.

weeber
02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Hmm, I wonder if other remotes will work with it, either learning/universal remotes or other Technics remotes?

Check out JP1 remotes. With a little research they'll work with anything that uses an IR signal.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

The remotes are a little cheap looking but they'll do anything you can dream up!

REDone
02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
I use a universal remote with my Yam CDX880 - it has its limitations on track selections (only up to 9) but does pause - which is useful when the phone rings

gener8tr
01-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Reviving this one once again (I've put the shock-pedals on this one's heart a few times now).

Yesterday I picked up a really nice looking Fisher AD 924 CD player from 1986 at GoodWill for $9.00. Faceplate looked excellent, top case had a few blemishes.

Well, I decided to try something I haven't done before... I popped the hood, took it to the garage and gave it the twice-over with a rattle-can of black Krylon. Incredible... it now looks like brand new.

Anyway, I understand the Fisher is a lower-end unit, but I tested it out on my mid 80's Akai secondary system and it sounded quite good. And the red and blue striping on the faceplace is quite unique... for $9.00 I couldn't let it go to CD Heaven. Now it will be playing tunes again with me for as long as I'm above ground.

Vintage CDP's are simply a lot of fun!

lorne
01-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Vintage CDP's are simply a lot of fun!Glad for your find, and I know what you mean. Still, I've had to get rid of some vintage players. The average Japanese house simply has no room to store collections of larger items. I retain the top-dog players in my system, but there is still an old Sony ES model tucked away that I can't get rid of.

mhedges
01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
I don't know if it is quite old enough to be called vintage but I sure am fond of my Sony XA7ES player. Got it off craigslist last year in like new condition.

Freo-1
01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I've got a vintage preamp/DAC setup that sounds outstanding. Regardless of the digital source, the Angstrom 200 preamp/DAC sounds absolutely great. I've connected the Angstrom to a variety of amps, but the best sound I've gotten from the Angstrom is with a Threshold S150 connected to Source Technologies 277SE.

Although the Angstrom is over 10 years old, the detail, resolution, and overall presentation is as good or better than the majority of CD players made today.

BTW, was reading up on digital advancements, and the author was pointing out the real tricky part to get the DAC right is the digital filtering. The high oversampling of modern DAC's allows for the use of a cheap digital filters, which explains why some of the marketing hype for modern CD/DAC's does not match performance.

thelandlord
01-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't know if it is quite old enough to be called vintage but I sure am fond of my Sony XA7ES player. Got it off craigslist last year in like new condition.

Some generous soul threw one of those in for free when I bought an amp on Fleabay last year... and it's very good indeed.

Given a decent recording it's very easy to suspend your disbelief and forget you're listening to hifi at all... and it feels beautiful to use. :thmbsp:

princeoftides
01-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm on page 2 but it was the Meitner CD player from the early 80s. You're going to have trouble finding one but they're out there. Read up on Meitner. I don't know the initial model number but that's the one to get.

Cpt.Beyond
02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
I have got a copy of "Making good cd players better". It is about upgrading the Magnavox/Philips CD 650. It is from Audio magazine from 1987. Send an email to screwedupplanet@hotmail.com and I`ll get a copy to you somehow.

Water
02-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Panasonic remotes might work with it. I use a Panasonic remote to control basic functions on my Technics receiver.

icenine
02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Found a Magnavox CDB 500 for $8.99 at GW after work today....works no skipping

Laserdude
02-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Here are a couple of video´s I made of my gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMbNsygL1E

And a video showing my Micro Seiki CD-M1 in action (first bit is of reconditioned Sansui SC1110 Tapedeck)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CheGbvgJBmk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

perryinva
02-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Wow, this thread was started in 2004!!! Good Golly, Miss Molly! Here's some pics of my vintage B225. Sometimes, they ARE still good. After a total recap and some LM4562s for the OP-amps, it's hard to argue with the sound+fun factor.

gewoonmaf
02-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Older CD players tend to be dirt cheap in thrifts here. Whenever I come across something interesting I like to add it to the collection, but the stuff I see here is unfortunately mostly low end. I'd like to find a working Philips CD100 someday.

BOUXY
02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
What are some of the better (vintage) cd players out there. I am putting together a total vintage audio system. Any advice will be appreciated.

SONY CDP-70 from mid 80's!Bought it new and it's still working great:):thmbsp:

bobrown14
02-09-2011, 08:11 PM
HHB CDR-800 - best sound from a CD/P player so far for me .

Cheers,

Bob

CapZark
02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
The Pioneer PD-S95 is the grand daddy of the vintage transports. I like it because its built like a tank at 40 lbs, looks sleek, sexy, and vintage. When you open up the top your eyes pop out of your head looking down at all that copper. It's laid out perfectly both inside and out. Solid machined aluminium stable platter design too. What's not to like? All of this for about $1,200 on the used market. If you want the best to go with your vintage rig then look no further than the PD-S95.

Tinman
02-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Older CD players tend to be dirt cheap in thrifts here. Whenever I come across something interesting I like to add it to the collection, but the stuff I see here is unfortunately mostly low end. I'd like to find a working Philips CD100 someday.

I have a working PRE Production sample of the CD100. :thmbsp:

And to think I found it at a swapmeet for $15! KEEPER!:yes:

Marc

mayyt
02-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm still impressed by my Luxman DZ111 that I found at the thrift store last year. Transport's as solid as a rock, the analog outputs sound better than any other CDP I've had in my system to date :D Manufactured in November of '89. Also had a JVC, whose model number I can't remember for the life of me, was fine for the first three months I had it, then started to skip all the time. It wound up getting replaced by an older Sony DVD player instead. It might not be the most ideal of setups, but at least it plays the whole track :P

bergun
02-12-2011, 05:17 AM
I have a Yamaha CD-2000 from 1986 and a Yamaha CDX-1110 from 1989 that are still working. My oldest CD player is dead, which I believe was Akai's first CD player from 1983, I hope to bring back to life somday, along with a my DBX CD-5 and Technics SL-P2 players.

Noreaster
02-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Anyone familiar with this CD player? I bought it solely because it is, without doubt, the biggest and heaviest single-play player I've ever run across. It must weigh a good 20-25 pounds and is the size of a typical multi-CD tray player. Made in Japan, manufacture date is December 1987. Remote works. $10 bucks at the local thrift. (My current CD player is a Kyocera DA-410cx, also from 1987).

aidand
02-20-2011, 05:49 PM
most philips vintage machines,starting with cd100 back in 1982 up to 1993 models roughly,some really great machines were created.

Audioplus
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know anything about either of these? I can't find any specs and hardly any comments online anywhere, except for a comment that the DX710 sounds pretty good?

Thanks to anyone than can help!
Dan C

ricohman
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Wow. I am hunting for a quality player and the amount of info here is baffling.
I could never remember it all. But I have a budget of $200 and I do not need any new outputs as my old AU-D11 II only has RCA plugs.
I've seen some junk and some good stuff. I passed on a real nice Pioneer PD65 as the seller wanted $350.

bobrown14
03-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Wow. I am hunting for a quality player and the amount of info here is baffling.
I could never remember it all. But I have a budget of $200 and I do not need any new outputs as my old AU-D11 II only has RCA plugs.
I've seen some junk and some good stuff. I passed on a real nice Pioneer PD65 as the seller wanted $350.

Take a look at a HHB 430 "burnit", it's a single play/record type. I've got one and loved it with my AU-D11 II. The 430 can be bought for about your price range. Don't get the 450 as many of them have known "issues" so YMMV with that one. There are others but that should get you what you are looking for, and come up fairly often over at the auction site. It's a pro model with RCA, balanced and S/PDIF ins and outs. This unit gives my TT a run for the money sound wise and will be GREAT at recording your LP's to CD format.

Cheers,

Bob

EricWeinraub
03-12-2011, 10:57 AM
My Denon DCD 820, purchased in the mid 80s is still going strong and sounds great! Sure, I could drop $10K on a McIntosh or other like CD player and while I don't doubt the likelihood that it would sound better, its an order of magnitude thing.... That said, I do LUST after the new McIntosh universal disc player :D

tubeboob
08-30-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a great many vintage CD players, a few of which I will list here:

1. Sony X707ES. The absolute best in my collection. Sounds good with looks to match. A 40 lb behemoth with copper chassis and XLR outs.

2. Sony 707ESD. The second best sounding unit. Built like a tank with a drawer mechanism that is like a bank vault. Another 40 lb behemoth with copper chassis.

3. Sony X339ES. Another very good unit. I got this for the laser in case the X707ES laser went and when I listened to it was quite impressed.

4. Sherwood 980T. An under the radar dual 20 bit hand selected Burr Brown DAC masterpiece sonically, if a little homely.

5. Magnavox CDB610. What can I say. My $2.50 Belgian surprise. Sounds so good.

6. Magnavox CDB650. Another Belgian Magnavox.

7. Denon DCD 1400. Another decent dual DAC unit. Not remote capable though.

8. Nakamichi CDP-2A. Nice when it works, which is not too ofter. I need to pay attention to the rails and get a new belt.

9. Marantz Legacy 4272. Not in the same league as the others, but a "gold" Marantz that "looks" cool. Had this for some 7-8 years, purchased NOS for $20.00. Very lightweight piece.

To answer the thread, many of my lesser players may be bettered by new technology, but my X707ES and 707ESD would not. I have auditioned the latest from a certain British manufacturer and I was hard pressed to see what all the hoopla was about. My almost 20 year Sony sounded much better, with a wider soundstage, better placement of instruments, sweeter and smoother sound.

No, no, no . . . you can keep your new stuff and leave me with my "old" stuff.

My 2 cents . . .

vga911s
08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I will match my 3 Cal Audio Tercets 3's aginst any of the newer players out there. Im sure they can hold their own in any a/b comparsion. I am sure there have been many advances made in CD players over the past few years, but I like the way mine sound so I will keep them at the front of my system.

thorenstd124
09-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I must admit I know squat about older CD players.I only recently realized how much people prefer them to new ones.Is there a list of players to be on the lookout for when I'm Goodying and Sallying,that people will buy ?You can start another thread or PM me a list if this gets buried.

vga911s
09-01-2011, 01:23 AM
I must admit I know squat about older CD players.I only recently realized how much people prefer them to new ones.Is there a list of players to be on the lookout for when I'm Goodying and Sallying,that people will buy ?You can start another thread or PM me a list if this gets buried.

For my money Cal Audio: Icon & Tercets are very high quality, great sounding machines. :yes:

satorusun
09-01-2011, 02:07 AM
I have owned 2 long term cd players, the 1st being the Sony X7-ESD. Weighed approx 40lbs. Bought it new in 1988 and it stayed in my various systems until a couple years ago. Sold it still working like new, and bought a Musical Fidelity A-5. The Sony was built better, weight 15lbs more, but after 20+ years of service, finally decided to go with a new, albeit, used player. The M.F sounds great to my ears, and I can only hope it lasts as long as the Sony.

smollett5
09-01-2011, 04:22 AM
Over the last few months in London, I have found a circa 1995 Marantz CD-63SE (original box, manual, remote- in the original plastic bag) in brand new condition and it sounds fine with my Leak 2000 receiver and B&W DM4 speakers. I have also gotten two Arcam Alpha 7 CD players, built around 1998-99, that work without a hitch and sound great. I've paired one with a Goodmans One Ten Receiver and Harbeth LS3/5As, and the other with an Arcam Alpha 5+ Amplifier, an Arcam Alpha 5 FM Tuner and KEF Corellis.

dunhill
09-02-2011, 12:51 AM
I have and can recommend the following players:

Denon DCD-1500 (with remote and owners manual)
Magnavox CDB 473 (made in Belgium)
Sony CDP-70 (basic, solidly built unit)
Technics SL-PJ11 (basic, solidly built unit)

ryuuoh
09-02-2011, 01:36 AM
I frankly have been baffled by CD players for years. I think they all sound the same to me. I bought a late model one from Yamaha, the CD-S700. Has mixed reviews, but so did most of the CD players I've read reviews of for the last 30 years.

coonmanx
09-02-2011, 01:50 AM
I think that some people may "hear" things from a CD player that aren't really there. I think that it is best to find one that is of good quality (well built) and one that plays discs well. Then you know that it works and will last. My JVC unit isn't the most solidly built unit but it does play almost all discs without skipping and sounds good. And I only paid just over $20 for it. And it sounds good.

Enthusiast2
09-02-2011, 04:59 PM

1. Sony X707ES. The absolute best in my collection. Sounds good with looks to match. A 40 lb behemoth with copper chassis and XLR outs.

2. Sony 707ESD. The second best sounding unit. Built like a tank with a drawer mechanism that is like a bank vault. Another 40 lb behemoth with copper chassis.

3. Sony X339ES. Another very good unit. I got this for the laser in case the X707ES laser went and when I listened to it was quite impressed.

4. Sherwood 980T. An under the radar dual 20 bit hand selected Burr Brown DAC masterpiece sonically, if a little homely.

8. Nakamichi CDP-2A. Nice when it works, which is not too ofter. I need to pay attention to the rails and get a new belt.

9. Marantz Legacy 4272. Not in the same league as the others, but a "gold" Marantz that "looks" cool. Had this for some 7-8 years, purchased NOS for $20.00. Very lightweight piece.

To answer the thread, many of my lesser players may be bettered by new technology, but my X707ES and 707ESD would not. I have auditioned the latest from a certain British manufacturer and I was hard pressed to see what all the hoopla was about. My almost 20 year Sony sounded much better, with a wider soundstage, better placement of instruments, sweeter and smoother sound.

My 2 cents . . .

I paid $2 for this unit. I paid more for a replacement power cord.

A nice Carver SDA 360 that I have no money in.

Pioneer PD-M95 Elite.

I use a Sony C222ES. Great changer.

Majestyk
09-06-2011, 03:59 AM
I frankly have been baffled by CD players for years. I think they all sound the same to me.

I think that some people may "hear" things from a CD player that aren't really there.

Or, some people just don't have the ears to hear the difference.

I have six different CD players and they all have a radically different sound. I always compare two at the same time, plugged in to two inputs on an amp/receiver, with identical CD's playing. I then sync them up and switch the input buttons back and forth. With the exception of two players, the sound I hear on these six units are completely different. The worst sounding CD player I compared was the Sony PS1 SCPH-1001. This over-hyped POS is probably the worst one I've ever heard, period. The highs are completely diluted and filtered out. It was like I had a ball of wax in my ears. Another one I tried was a Pioneer DVD player. It had a much thinner sound-stage and 'electronic sound' than the others. My Oppo BDP-83, which I normally only use as a BD player, has an ok sound with lots of detail (the most detail of them all) but it's very cold and sterile sounding, like I'm listening to music in a room with a hard floor and no furniture.

The best two that I tried (and the two I could not hear a difference) was a Sony SCD-XA5400ES and a 1989 JVC XL-Z311 (18 bit). These two completely stumped me and I was expecting the Sony to sound WAY better with redbook CD's. I compared tons of CD's for days (dozens of EAC rips, one for each player) and I even listened to classical music, which I don't normally, and there was nothing different between the two. Even the volume was identical, which in its self was unusual. I've always known the sound on my JVC was above par, but I didn't realize it until I compared it with the Sony and I really wanted the Sony to win because it plays SACD's...Although I only have a few of them so I couldn't justify keeping it unless there was a difference...Any difference, even a minor one. If I had more revealing equipment, it's POSSIBLE, that the Sony could inch out a tad, but it still probably wouldn't have been enough to justify the difference.

Just for fun, I also compared the sound of a slightly newer JVC CD player (the ones with JVC's own 'PEM' DAC) and it also did not sound as good, although there was a tad bit more detail, which is the only plus I could give it.

Next week I'm going to borrow a friends JVC XL-Z1010. Now the 1010, by all rights, should sound better than my XL-Z311. If so, then that would mean it will be a better sounding player than the Sony 5400ES, which I no longer have so I can't directly compare those two.

gearhound
09-06-2011, 10:05 AM
This is my latest.....$20.

My other two CD players were manufactured in 1985 (ADC) and 1988 (Magnavox) respectfully.
I wanted a cheap spare CD player for when one of these old beauties finally expire.
Sharp, along with their upscale brethren Optonica, often sell for little more than an XL cheese pizza. :yes:

Steve

dunhill
09-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I just added a Sansui PC-V750 to my collection. Made in August of 1985, this is a basic "no frills" player, but is built very well and sounds good to my ears. Plays scratched discs and CD-Rs as well. Has Toshiba DAC and laser. This one is in very good condition!

IXLR8
09-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I listen to lots of music and albums & tapes seem to be my thing. Not that I shy away from CD's because I have a Denon DCD-1500II. Yes there are much better machines but I always enjoy what I hear from it. Have always been pleased with it, hell it even has a remote. Can listen it play for hours at a time and it leaves me only happy that it is in the house. It's black metal, heavy and it's got the look.

Clearview
09-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I recomend Onkyo or Teac No good quality NEW CD Players are being produced. I picked up a Teac PD-80 and an Onkyo DX-1400 both are single disc models and the build quality is excellent.

whitey
09-21-2011, 11:37 PM
I love my Marantz cd73.

thorenstd124
09-22-2011, 12:05 AM

My 2 cents . . .

Are any of these Sonys carousels? A few days ago,at GW,I saw a Sony carousel,dated 1986,for five bucks.I passed on it,because it had a big dent in the top,it worked though.

I did buy a working Technics from the same year,for the same money.I'm a vinyl man,exclusively.I know squat about this,but I do see older CD players like these at the thrifts,usually at $5-20 each.They are a lot fewer than they were a few years ago.These are 20,30 year old machines after all.I mostly just see piles of VCRs.

They don't seem to be going for much on the bay right now,but I wonder if I ought to buy any CD players from the 80s that work.I have a couple of empty rooms here,I can stash stuff in,and they don't take up much room.Not like my beloved tube consoles.

guiller
09-22-2011, 07:09 AM
No good quality NEW CD Players are being produced.

I guess you don't really mean that? Do you mean "mass produced" CDPs? There are great new CDPs being produced, probably the best ever. Brands like Naim or Astin Trew produce great CDPs, as well as Arcam, Cambridge Audio and higher end ones like McIntosh, Bryston, Accuphase, etc. Some TOTL models by Sony and Marantz are also great.

Tullman
09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I guess you don't really mean that? Do you mean "mass produced" CDPs? There are great new CDPs being produced, probably the best ever. Brands like Naim or Astin Trew produce great CDPs, as well as Arcam, Cambridge Audio and higher end ones like McIntosh, Bryston, Accuphase, etc. Some TOTL models by Sony and Marantz are also great.

Yes, the older cd players from the 80's and early 90's were built with better quality. The laser drive in particular was much more durable than today's cd players.

However, in my experience, the new cd players sound better. Used cd players are a crap shoot. The laser drives could go at anytime. I should know. I threw out 2 Denon expensive 80's units this year.

gearhound
09-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Many people seem to believe that NAD and Cambridge Audio make decent, affordable CD players?

Steve

Ed in Tx
09-22-2011, 03:21 PM
I have and can recommend the following players:

Denon DCD-1500 (with remote and owners manual)

I have a DCD-1500, bought it new in '86 or thereabouts for around $500 as I recall. Great player for 25 years. I use the remote volume control all the time. That's the only remotely controllable function on my system. How many other CD players have remote variable audio outs?

Only issue I have with the Denon, there are a few newer commercial CDs I have, some but not all these with song title display data I see when played on my Tascam CD recorder-copier. The Denon will not read the TOC when the CD is put in so it won't play those discs. Plays everything else fine including CD-R and CD-RW discs. I suspect it's something in the data included on some new CDs that the player doesn't like.

Dr Tinear
09-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Many people seem to believe that NAD and Cambridge Audio make decent, affordable CD players?

Steve

The older NAD players, including the two 502s that I scrapped because it was taking too much of my time to keep them running, had some reliability problems. The newer ones are reportedly better. I have no direct experience with them because the 502s cured me of any desire to own another NAD CD player.

bobrown14
09-22-2011, 09:22 PM
I like my HHB CDR800 and my HHB CDR830 "Burnit" both sound great with lotsa connect options. I think the thing with better sound with CDPs is the chip that is used. Google is your friend and there are chips in players that are up an above others no matter the manufacturer. Vinyl will sound better on some and CDs will sound better on others comparing both mediums with same music.

Cheers,

Bob

astagumby
03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Some time ago I acquired an Akai CD-A70, including the remote, for free. The owner wasn't using it anymore because "the display is broken". I didn't realize just how old it was after I brought it home with me and did some googlin. Turns out that this player was introduced in the Netherlands (where I live) as early as 1984. As for the display, it was easily fixed by just replacing the burnt out lightbulb behind it with a led. I'm using it every day now (connected to an Akai AM-2250 amp and Mission 700 loudspeakers), I love this thing: the design (even the remote looks great!), the sound, and what I find most amazing of all: it plays every cdr I put into it without any problem! Not bad for an antique 1984 cd player, eh ?!

lorne
03-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Some time ago I acquired an Akai CD-A70, including the remote, for free. ... I love this thing If I were looking for another vintage Red-Book player, I'd aim for the high end models of Akai, Yamaha CDX series, Sony ES series or the Sansui Alpha series. These were seriously considered machines, and some of their build trickled down to lower end models with cast metal carriers, specially selected cap series for the power supplies — shielding and many features designed to reduce jitter. Chip technology has come a long way in making decent sounding players that sell for peanuts, but you gotta admire these often big machines that have played for decades. What I really like about them is their function as decks — to spin the bits out to a D/A converter with modern chip sets. Best of both worlds in IMHO — like putting a modern wheel-set on a vintage racing bicycle.

JimmyNeutron
03-18-2012, 03:35 AM
My Technics SL-P1300 :banana:
Pretty minty and sounds very good. I love the style, and the weight? Holy cow, it's heavy.

Jimmy

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc85/jimmyneutron1003/IMG_2167.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc85/jimmyneutron1003/IMG_2153.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc85/jimmyneutron1003/IMG_2155.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc85/jimmyneutron1003/IMG_2171.jpg

zebra03
03-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Some time ago I acquired an Akai CD-A70, including the remote, for free. The owner wasn't using it anymore because "the display is broken". I didn't realize just how old it was after I brought it home with me and did some googlin. Turns out that this player was introduced in the Netherlands (where I live) as early as 1984. As for the display, it was easily fixed by just replacing the burnt out lightbulb behind it with a led. I'm using it every day now (connected to an Akai AM-2250 amp and Mission 700 loudspeakers), I love this thing: the design (even the remote looks great!), the sound, and what I find most amazing of all: it plays every cdr I put into it without any problem! Not bad for an antique 1984 cd player, eh ?!

That is the biggest problem I have found is the CD-R issue . Nice going .

hogdaddy
03-18-2012, 01:21 PM
I recently acquired a Pioneer PDR-19RW to match my other Elite Urushi gear. (Is this considered vintage?)
These retailed for $1200 new in 1999 I believe.
It has optical and coaxial digital, and RCA analog inputs.

It is a single disc recorder that plays CDR,CDRW.
So far I have been impressed with its playback capabilities.

Here is a pic of one.

rjag46
03-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Marantz DR-700 bought new, and after all these years still works beautifuly ! Was a spendy machine back then, paid over 8 hundred.:thmbsp:

lorne
03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Zebra03That is the biggest problem I have found is the CD-R issue .It's a real shame when that happens.:tears: I've let go some very nice machines because of that issue. Sometimes its the laser unit that goes feeble, and some of those are either expensive or very rare parts.

lorne
03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
JimmyNeutronMy Technics SL-P1300 That is one lovely machine! Design-wise it makes perfect sense — for a top shelf unit. It skips the issue of designing a jitter free sled. And all the sonic circuits are housed off from the power supply — or so it seems to me. Some tasty parts in their too. :thmbsp:

tubeboob
08-24-2012, 09:21 AM
First, I have to say this is a great thread!!!

I love vintage CD players, and I have a few that I have found on the cheap, as people just don't appreciate them as they should.

Here's a list:

Sony X339ES
Sony X707ES
Sony 707ESD
Magnavox CDB610
Magnavox CDB650
Magnavox FD3030
Sharp DX-3
Sherwood 980T
Nakamichi CDP-2A
Marantz Legacy (gold tone)
Onkyo DX-1400

While the heady Sony X707ES and 707ESD sound phenom, my favorites to look at are the Sharp DX-3 and Magnavox FD3030, they're just so different.

I need to get the Sharp repaired, as the door refuses to open, and I am not mechanically inclined. It switches on, but that is as far as I can test it.

I'm always on the lookout for unique CD players . . . :D

Cheers

automojo
08-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Like every other topic, I think this is a matter of subjective opinion. One of Stereophile's primary missions is to push new equipment into your hands, preferably from their advertisers. Having said that, I will also say that anyone who knocks on my door with a "new, improved" cd player expecting to swap it for either my Denon 1500 or 1700
(both from the mid-80's) would be very disappointed, as a minimum. And, depending on their attitude about the whole thing, might go away wearing their balls for a necklace.

?
I'm not sure they are the one with the attitude problem.....
I do agree it's a perspective thing to a point, but IMHO I really don't think a lot of vintage cd player lovers have really gone out and heard some of the newer decks-not the entry level ones, but the ones more towards the high end spectrum.
And perhaps that's where the real 'attitude' (problem) lies....more of a vintage bias thing then reality-IMHO of course.

sonci
08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
You can have a nice reading of vintage cd players here (http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/CD_ALPHABETICAL.html)

The guy is a bit obsessed with Philips TDA 1541 DAC (http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TDA1541%20corner/TDA1541.html), which he states is even better than modern DACs, anyway is a fun reading..

Dr Tinear
08-24-2012, 01:13 PM
You can have a nice reading of vintage cd players here (http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/CD_ALPHABETICAL.html)

The guy is a bit obsessed with Philips TDA 1541 DAC (http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TDA1541%20corner/TDA1541.html), which he states is even better than modern DACs, anyway is a fun reading..

The Lampizator is entertaining, I'll agree ... but don't be taken in by his recommendation to yank the oversampling digital filter and the analog reconstruction filter from a perfectly good TDA1541-based player. All that will leave you with is a player that puts out high levels of ultrasonic noise along with your music signal. That noise can drive your preamp or amp into nonlinear operation, bringing new and exciting levels of distortion to your listening, and could even let the magic smoke out of your tweeters if you turned the volume up high.

tommy6206
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Pretty minty and sounds very good. I love the style, and the weight? Holy cow, it's heavy.

Jimmy

I have 3 of the SL-P1200's 2 mint and working and the third for spares/ repair
And they do sound good :music:

guiller
08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
The Lampizator is entertaining, I'll agree ... but don't be taken in by his recommendation to yank the oversampling digital filter and the analog reconstruction filter from a perfectly good TDA1541-based player. All that will leave you with is a player that puts out high levels of ultrasonic noise along with your music signal. That noise can drive your preamp or amp into nonlinear operation, bringing new and exciting levels of distortion to your listening, and could even let the magic smoke out of your tweeters if you turned the volume up high.

Agreed! :tresbon:

bobrown14
08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I recently acquired a Pioneer PDR-19RW to match my other Elite Urushi gear. (Is this considered vintage?)
These retailed for $1200 new in 1999 I believe.
It has optical and coaxial digital, and RCA analog inputs.

It is a single disc recorder that plays CDR,CDRW.
So far I have been impressed with its playback capabilities.

Here is a pic of one.

Thats a nice unit - it's exactly the same as my HHB CDR-830 Burnit CR-R cept for the logo and the color (HHB is purple). Here's a pic.

Cheers,
Bob

KMFDM781
08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I like my Kenwood DP-492 I got for $6 at Goodwill in perfect condition. :)

fiddlefye
08-24-2012, 07:31 PM

Jimmy

Very cool. This one reminds me of those 70's cassette machines. I had a couple of them, Teac if I recall correctly. Sweet!

josephdaniel
11-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Good god this thread was started in 2004!

aileenamegan
11-04-2012, 04:12 PM
One of the rare silver ones of those days:

AKAI CD-32

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/1507/img8937a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/img8937a.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img341/2164/img8941a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/img8941a.jpg/)

Just sold it for a few Euro... Too many Players at my home.

mjcmt
11-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Once, again, Sony don't get no respect.

The early Sony ES series CDPs were and are great machines. While the op-amps and whatever can be upgraded, their quality construction was second to none. And they sound very good, even by today's standards. My brother's -707ES is a terrific piece. When the CD tray opens or closes it is like its on ice. The smoothest operation of any CD machine I've ever played with.

I agree the vintage Sony ES decks are super. The earliest ES model numbers ended in ESD. Even the 5 disc players are great. I have a Sony cdp-C8ESD and it is every bit as good as the single play units with 3 motors, one for the drawer, one the rotate the carousel, and then the transport the holds the cd and plays it. It is stellar in sound too and has fixed and analogue controlled variable outputs operated by the remote, plus digital out.

If you want the smoothest operating transport check out a vintage Linn Karik.
When you place a cd in the drawer it retracts it into the player and an elevator raises the transport to the join the cd. I enjoyed putting a cd into it as much as I enjoyed the sound of my Karik III.

lorne
11-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Good god this thread was started in 2004!Amazing isn't it. I guess it's because still the old hi-end players continue to be fantastic transports. In combination with modern D/A converters, you can get the best of two worlds.

My rig continues to be a Yamaha CDX 1020, which now has a Monica II D/A module doing D/A converter duty [DIY Paradise, Kuala Lumpur]. I had to take the trouble to build a power supply for the latter, as well has box up and wire the Monica. But for all that, the sound is simply marvelous.

hugeroost
11-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Good god this thread was started in 2004!

lol, thats what I was thinking, hell this is a vintage thread. I read through all of it and must say i"m very confused, pretty heavy stuff. I have a couple of the Kyocera"s, one totl 710 with vid out and one 610, they sound great to me but I have nothing to compare them to. I am thinking about buying a new one, looking hard at a cambridge, a 510 I think it is, its around 500 bucks. Do you guys think it will sound that much better than my Kyo"s or am I just fixin to waste 500 clams, thanks, Roost

jsisk
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
My main CD player is a Yamaha CD-2. I bought it new for $600 back in 1984. Great sounding deck. It died last year and thanks to a fellow AK'r, it is back up and running. Much smoother sound than any of the new units I have tried over the last year.

LocknLoad
11-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Denon DCD-1500
bought mine new and it still works beautifully

landsberger
11-05-2012, 10:55 PM
How about the Philips Cd 850?

Bought mine when it was first released and its still going perfectly today.

There is also the CD960 and some of the Studers which use the same transport.

John

vga911s
11-06-2012, 12:23 AM
I am a Califorina Audio Labs Tercet fan and currently own 3 of them and for me there are non out there that are better sounding than them.

lorne
11-06-2012, 07:03 AM
I am thinking about buying a new one, looking hard at a cambridge, a 510 I think it is, its around 500 bucks. Do you guys think it will sound that much better than my Kyo"s or am I just fixin to waste 500 clams, thanks, Roost Your call of course, but read my last post just above .... and:

Recently I had a guest here who had never heard my system. She is a discerning artist with refined senses for every detail of artistic creation and the wonders of nature, both great and small. Her initial remark on hearing my system was. "The sound is coming down all over me and I feel like I am inside it."

I can't remember how old the Yamaha transport is — CDX 1020. The Monica II is apparently already superceded, but I'm not worried by that.

For further weighing and assessment:

AMPLIFICATION: 2 X mono amps, Trio/Kenwood L05M's (re-capped and partly re-wired)

PREAMP: NON

ATTENUATOR: Simple, very cheap as borscht DIY build. [Elliott Sound Products design — see web page] Shunt to ground via R's. Separate Lt & Rt channel control ie: both add and subtract signal.

ALL IC and Cable (Except Speaker): DIY of various stuffs — cheap ... no jewelry included.

SPEAKS: Modified 3-way Sansui SP-G88's, JPN. domestic market only: (Sansui titanium tweets replaced with hand-made silks from UK. Re-capped, re-wired.)

As my sig says — all junk and/or DIY.

If I were you, I would spend my $ on D/A conversion. But that can be a black hole of error and deception. Monica II is non-over sampling. It does k.d. lang, Bjork and classical guitar better than Gustav Mahler at full steam with a giant orchestra. But even that is pretty damn good.

Confusing as you say. So much of Red Book is very confusing. It can sound like sewage or it can be deluxe — and big money does not seem to answer the problem — well until you get into VERY GIANT HUGE MONEY! Maybe!

How do I know? Well like most of us, I've listened. I've sat quietly in the background of the audio boutiques and heard the salesmen talking to the dudes rattling the keys to their Porsches and Lotuses. As long as I keep my trap shut, I am welcomed.

Let us now know you fare :thmbsp:

HomeBody
11-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Denon made some great decks in the 80s. Yamaha, too, though they seem more fragile.
Plus One on Yamis being somewhat fragile (back around '91 anyway)..
Late '80s-early 90's Realistic/Optimus were solid performers..... the choices posted here thus far are solid.
Look to some Sony's

lorne
11-10-2012, 04:45 AM
..... the choices posted here thus far are solid.
Look to some Sony's Yes sir! I always have wanted a "triple 7" ES Sony! If ever I see one that still works — I'll snag it!

vinsternut80
11-10-2012, 04:57 AM
I've got a Yamaha and a Sony CD player. I sort of like the Sony a little better. Bought both at Goodwill ($18 for both) They work just fine!

lorne
11-10-2012, 07:41 AM
I've got a Yamaha and a Sony CD player. I sort of like the Sony a little better. Bought both at Goodwill ($18 for both) They work just fine!A bit better than what Yamaha? And what Sony model and year would that be?:scratch2: And why!? No argument ... it is just that your comment may be interesting if we were to know something about your experience!

Dan-io-karma
05-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi, trying to get some feedback, searching AK and think this is the best place to ask.
Hopefully get some responses
I have these CD players , both thrift store finds for under $25 AUS
Sony CDP590
$15
DAC 2x PCM56P CXd2554P
KSS210A
8x oversampling
18BIT (written on the fascia)

vrs
Yamaha CD-1050
$25
(not CDX-1050)
DAC 2x PCM56P-YM3414
TAOH-JP3
8 x Oversampling
16bit
Digital output
approx 10KG

I thinking the Yammie
What do you guys think?

peterfranks
08-10-2013, 03:34 PM
A very interesting thread with lots of good opinions and reviews. And although new CDPs may be superior in performance, I can't see spending the money when I can buy a decent vintage unit. I have a NAD 5220 that I paid $5 for and a Kenwood DP-850 (April 1986) that I paid $9. Both in outstanding condition and sound amazing with my gear. Just the build quality and heft makes vintage worthwhile for me.

aileenamegan
08-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Fantastic sound and build like a tank:

http://abload.de/img/img_2721ag9u4k.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2721ag9u4k.jpg)

http://abload.de/img/img_2729aywugg.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2729aywugg.jpg)

http://abload.de/img/img_2731a7kuc2.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2731a7kuc2.jpg)

http://abload.de/img/img_2700a64ugk.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2700a64ugk.jpg)

http://abload.de/img/img_2697a6vucb.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2697a6vucb.jpg)

http://abload.de/img/img_2694aeou33.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2694aeou33.jpg)

http://abload.de/img/img_2704auouqo.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2704auouqo.jpg)

http://abload.de/img/img_2691au1uj3.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2691au1uj3.jpg)

You still find professional enthusiasts modifying these units - beginning at a price of €1.800,-

Harolda
08-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Amazing isn't it. I guess it's because still the old hi-end players continue to be fantastic transports. In combination with modern D/A converters, you can get the best of two worlds.

My rig continues to be a Yamaha CDX 1020, which now has a Monica II D/A module doing D/A converter duty [DIY Paradise, Kuala Lumpur]. I had to take the trouble to build a power supply for the latter, as well has box up and wire the Monica. But for all that, the sound is simply marvelous.

Even some old DAC's are still very very good. This is my dram team

Mr. Panda
08-19-2013, 04:00 PM
sorry I have no idea how to start a new thread here.

My Brother In Law's old Yamaha single disk player died.
He is looking for used dependable player for under one hundred dollars.
Something very simple.
Any ideas?

Most appreciated,

mr. panda

coonmanx
08-20-2013, 01:23 AM
sorry I have no idea how to start a new thread here.

My Brother In Law's old Yamaha single disk player died.
He is looking for used dependable player for under one hundred dollars.
Something very simple.
Any ideas?

Most appreciated,

mr. panda

Locate a JVC, Technics or even Panasonic player. Available all over the Bay.

daviddeep
08-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Mr. Panda, I'd recommend looking for something newer myself. I found a fairly recent (c. 2007) NAD CD player at a pawn shop a few months back for about $75 if I remember right. I prefer the sound of it to the sound of the various vintage CD players I have on hand (an adc Atelier CD3, an Adcom GCD-600, a Carver TL-3200 and an Onkyo DX-702). Is the difference night and day? Well, I wouldn't say that, but overall I find everything a bit smoother and more "integrated" sounding, for lack of better terms. I was a supporter of vintage CD players, but I now agree with the school of thought that in this case, newer is definitely better.

Yes, the build quality of many of those classic CD players is superb. Yes, you could combine a vintage CD player with a newer outboard DAC, but if you're going to be using this player a lot, I would have more confidence in a new player than a 25 year old one.

guiller
08-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Fantastic sound and build like a tank:

http://abload.de/img/img_2721ag9u4k.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_2721ag9u4k.jpg)

Fantastic unit! Many thanks for sharing the HQ pictures. I've got a more modest CD350 (Belgium made) in my collection. Great gear!

Mr. Panda
08-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Hello,

Thank you for you advice.
I really never even thought of JVC, Tech. or Pany for a dependable CD player.
Can you please down which model I should l look for?
There most likely will be quite a few models from these brands listed on ebay.

Will take look on ebay to see what I can find.
I most certainly did think of a Nad but did not know which one to look at.
External DAC is most definately not needed.
My Brother In Law has a large collection of CD's and does not really care about SQ much.
Just wants a player that will not break down for little money.
Just rembered that I think I have aold ADS ssytem in my garage but it has only casette and turrntable no CD player.
Probably need to get rid of that system soon.
Just do not wnat it to be junked.

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda

Mr. Panda
08-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Mr. Panda, I'd recommend looking for something newer myself. I found a fairly recent (c. 2007) NAD CD player at a pawn shop a few months back for about $75 if I remember right. I prefer the sound of it to the sound of the various vintage CD players I have on hand (an adc Atelier CD3, an Adcom GCD-600, a Carver TL-3200 and an Onkyo DX-702). Is the difference night and day? Well, I wouldn't say that, but overall I find everything a bit smoother and more "integrated" sounding, for lack of better terms. I was a supporter of vintage CD players, but I now agree with the school of thought that in this case, newer is definitely better.

Yes, the build quality of many of those classic CD players is superb. Yes, you could combine a vintage CD player with a newer outboard DAC, but if you're going to be using this player a lot, I would have more confidence in a new player than a 25 year old one.

Hello,

after re reading your reply, I think you are correct.
An older CD player is really not the direction to go in.
Especially since I am looking for somthing dependable.
All my local repair shops have gone out of business.

Can you please recommend a specific model from that time period and an alternative choice if I can not find anything?

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda

daviddeep
08-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Mr. Panda,

If you're leaning in a non-vintage direction, you may want to read some threads over in the Modern Day Hi-Fi and Digital subforums. I don't have a lot of experience with all the newer well-regarded CD players, but I'd keep a lookout for recent used CD players from the likes of Cambridge Audio, Marantz, and Onkyo. You may also want to consider better DVD players, many of which have nicer build quality than entry level CD players. As Blu-Ray has gradually replaced DVD for home theater enthusiasts, a number of once expensive DVD players have found themselves being replaced.

I personally took a gamble on the NAD that I bought because there seem to be a higher-than-average number of complaints about laser failure in their newer models. Mine has been fine so far, but this may make it not the best choice for your brother-in-law.

WCFR Jock
08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Serendipitous timing in the revival of this thread. I had been playing CDs through my DVD player for the past few years but chose to reconfigure my system this past weekend. I connected one of my Technics SLP-G 100s and one channel was dead. Grabbed the other and it has a "no spin" issue. Hooked up the 25 year old Realistic CD-2300 and it sounded just as good as it did new in 1987, which is to say not nearly as good with the Technics. I think one DAC did duty for both channels...

Anyone have experience/advice on the SLP-G 100s? Bear in mind that all of these units saw several years of mobile DJ use and got schlepped in and out of the truck quite a bit.

Mr. Panda
08-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Mr. Panda,

If you're leaning in a non-vintage direction, you may want to read some threads over in the Modern Day Hi-Fi and Digital subforums. I don't have a lot of experience with all the newer well-regarded CD players, but I'd keep a lookout for recent used CD players from the likes of Cambridge Audio, Marantz, and Onkyo. You may also want to consider better DVD players, many of which have nicer build quality than entry level CD players. As Blu-Ray has gradually replaced DVD for home theater enthusiasts, a number of once expensive DVD players have found themselves being replaced.

I personally took a gamble on the NAD that I bought because there seem to be a higher-than-average number of complaints about laser failure in their newer models. Mine has been fine so far, but this may make it not the best choice for your brother-in-law.

I am quite familiar with Cambridge and Marantz.
If I was to buy a new player for him I would go with Cambridge due to Excellent SQ for the price.
But SQ really does not matter much in this case.
All he wants to do is listen to music through his older system.

I am really not going to get him a current model.
See no reason to do so.
Just tried to locate somone who used to work for Nad to see what he thinks.
Just need a lower priced dependable CD player for him so he can get back to listening to music.
Hade no idea about the issues with Nad until you mentioned this to me.
Any other idea's for a non current CD player.
Not to old as you say.

I might be able to give him my Oppo 980 if my Wife lets me get the Oppo 103.
But really think I can get him somthing used off ebay.

Thank you again,

Mr. Panda

coonmanx
08-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Mr. Panda, if you go the route of something newer that is fine. Just be aware that I got my JVC XL-V151 off of the Bay for just about $20 and it has been dead reliable. Not one issue. And I only had to wager $20. They are out there. You just have to know what to look for. The JVC may not be a tank but it sounds good and plays everything. I think that I have had the JVC for about two years now as well.

Maybe Technics doesn't have the reliability factor. I don't know about that. I did get a not so good one off of the Bay and returned it. I then got a Panasonic portable unit for my son and it works OK. I have heard they do sound good. I think that my son's portable unit sounds pretty good.

hugeroost
08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Panda, check out a Kyocera, there"s usually one on ebay, I"ve had pretty good luck with them and they match my vintage receivers great with the wood sides, the higher the model number the better the quality. A 710 was better than a 310, I have a couple 710"s and one 810, and then a 910 was the flagship......Roost

gusgranite
08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
I just picked up a freebie Luxman D-112 CDP. The tray needs fixing so I'm hoping it is only a belt as it looks in great condition. Anyone know how it sounds?

Mr. Panda
08-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Mr. Panda, if you go the route of something newer that is fine. Just be aware that I got my JVC XL-V151 off of the Bay for just about $20 and it has been dead reliable. Not one issue. And I only had to wager $20. They are out there. You just have to know what to look for. The JVC may not be a tank but it sounds good and plays everything. I think that I have had the JVC for about two years now as well.

Maybe Technics doesn't have the reliability factor. I don't know about that. I did get a not so good one off of the Bay and returned it. I then got a Panasonic portable unit for my son and it works OK. I have heard they do sound good. I think that my son's portable unit sounds pretty good.

Well said!
That is what I enjoy about this form.
Always somthing I never expected to hear or makes me look at things a different way.
I am sure there are quite reliable players out there.
Just may not have the time to deal with issues which may come up.
Such as broken player Etc.
But I really see nothing new less than Cambridge that I would buy for him Way to much for his daily needs.
Of course somone I aked who has a store said stay away from used.
What else is he going to say?
You sir, got a good one.
Your JVC.

Mr. Panda
08-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Panda, check out a Kyocera, there"s usually one on ebay, I"ve had pretty good luck with them and they match my vintage receivers great with the wood sides, the higher the model number the better the quality. A 710 was better than a 310, I have a couple 710"s and one 810, and then a 910 was the flagship......Roost

Now that a brand I had forgotten about!
They made some pretty nice looking players long ago.

I think I really am on the wrong form.
Maybe not Vintage just not current CD player thread.
Ha!

Thank you,

mr. Panda

daviddeep
08-20-2013, 11:45 PM
I have an Onkyo DX-702 that I bought new in 1991. I've used it quite a lot, and it is still 100% reliable. Plays every disc I put it in regardless of length, and happily plays CD-Rs. I would imagine that if you can locate an early 90s lower-end Onkyo like this one it should cost you no more than $30. This kind of thing might be just what your brother-in-law is looking for.

Mr. Panda
08-21-2013, 12:31 AM
I have an Onkyo DX-702 that I bought new in 1991. I've used it quite a lot, and it is still 100% reliable. Plays every disc I put it in regardless of length, and happily plays CD-Rs. I would imagine that if you can locate an early 90s lower-end Onkyo like this one it should cost you no more than $30. This kind of thing might be just what your brother-in-law is looking for.
Thank you,
This is a very solid and specific lead.
Am going to see if I can give him my oppo first.
How about a more recent model Onkyo if I go in that direction?

Less ware and tear so to speak.

By the way, in my search today trying to find out about an older Nad I came in contact with the first person I ever heard Daliquist DQ 10's at his store.

Bkphoto
08-21-2013, 07:36 PM
:thmbsp: Nad....

Mr. Panda
08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Thank you,
This is a very solid and specific lead.
Am going to see if I can give him my oppo first.
How about a more recent model Onkyo if I go in that direction?

Less ware and tear so to speak.

By the way, in my search today trying to find out about an older Nad I came in contact with the first person I ever heard Daliquist DQ 10's at his store.

Just a quick than you for all you help and advice.
I just made a decision then i get the heads up on a Nad.
I would think a Nad would be just fine but did find out that some do have laser issues.
I looked into the current Onkyo line and found their lower priced CD player in our price range.

just read some very good things about it on another form.
for around two hundred bucks I got nothing to lose.

But if it was for me and I was going with a current model.
It would by Nad or Cambridge.

Most appreciated,

mr. panda