View Full Version : JVC R-X400 Receiver

HomeBody
11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Hello All-
Just landed a JVC R-X400...DOA- I'm curious to know where I can find any specs on this unit- it needs servicing....or should I can the servicing and look for a different brand/model of receiver. Thanks for all replies!!:yes:

I found a similar thread Here... (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126309) and Here as well (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3151703)

ryuuoh
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
There's a x300 manual available here:
http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/jvc/r-x300.shtml
Could be similar.

HomeBody
11-12-2009, 05:49 AM
This RX400 has an integrated SEA 7 band EQ(53Hz-16kHz)...SEA/SPL..??6 EQ presets,
Can't comment on Display. Needs service. No response from inputs via front panel..
no sound from speakers.

Numistrek09
11-13-2009, 01:50 AM
I believe i can help you, for i used to have one of these. (Wish i still did but when it went "dead" i thought it was over and tossed it, sadness.) In any case, i still have the manual and here's what it says:

Output power: 70 watts per channel min. RMS, both channels driven into 8ohms from 20hz to 20khz with no more than 0.007% total harmonic distortion.
Inter Modulation: Distortion 0.007% at 75 watts (1khz, 8ohms)
Damping factor: 45 at 8 ohms, 1khz

Input Sensitivity/Impedance
Phono: 2.5mV/47kohms
Tape Play/DAD/AUX: 240mV/50kohms
Recording output: 240mV

Frequency response
Phono (RIAA Eq): +or- 0.5 dB (20hz - 20khz)
Tape Play/DAD/AUX: +0-1 dB (5hz - 50khz)

Signal to Noise Ratio
Phono (MM): 80 dB 66dB
('66 IHF) (DIN)
80dB
('78 IHF)
[rec out]
Tape Play/DAD/AUX: 100dB 67dB
('66 IHF) (DIN)
77dB
('78 IHF)

Theres also a crap load of specs on the tuner section, but i don't feel like trying to type out all of that. If needed i can try and scan it up for you. As for fixing it, best of luck to you. It would be quite a pleasing looking unit, as the built in equalizer has a spectrum analyzer as well. It makes for a nice light show.

HomeBody
11-13-2009, 07:19 AM
.... As for fixing it, best of luck to you. It would be quite a pleasing looking unit, as the built in equalizer has a spectrum analyzer as well. It makes for a nice light show.
Would you say I'm better served to forget getting it serviced.

Thank You Kindly for posting the JVC specs.

Numistrek09
11-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Ohh, i'm not saying it isn't worth fixing. I'm just saying i can't offer any help there. Mine was acting much the same as yours. Only a background light came on and the rest was dead. I opened the hood and looked for obviously blown parts and fuses, then for lack of any knowledge beyond that, chucked it. Now i know a little better and would have looked at relays, etc. Ohh well, ignorance got me on that one. It does sound very nice when working though. There are lots of techs here on Ak who i'm sure would help you figure out what's wrong with it. However, if you do indeed decide to dump it, let me know first.

bobaloniny
11-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Should we assume that youve found fuses and checked them as per the output? does it make noise through the headphone jack? other thing is, seems an initial call of nuthin works would be after all the controls, glidepaths get cleaned (deoxit). as described it sounds like a sexy machine. If you cant get it worked on or hate its concept etc, then I reckon that rs is a good enough direction to be in. feel compelled to address wattage though, considering that normal in the house listening level is like what? in the neighborhood from half to one watt or so. yeah I have some bigger wattage stuff, but over half of my everyday listening is through a rotel 30wpc receiver. 70 wpc is getting pretty gnarly,quite respectable for a receiver. just sayin..

HomeBody
11-14-2009, 09:25 AM
There's no response at all from inputs to the front panel selectors....no sound from the speaker inputs.
Removed the fuse lamp board and two of the three don't look so good...plus a diode didn't look good...
Just got it off of eBay where the seller stated all was well and good.
I found a JVC repair shop over in Birmingham (Service Care)...they promised they'll bring it back to mint. But I'm already medicating myself when I get the call that the repairs are gonna run $44,000 and change plus tax and shipping.....

It's whistle clean and I'm kinda fond of the SEA 7-band integrated EQ-

Big Tuna
11-14-2009, 09:41 AM
I have the R-X300 unit. It is diffferent than the X400, but they are from the same time period and have alot of the same circuitry. You haven't said if the unit actually comes on and the face lights up when you turn on the power. Could be a"open" protection relay. It would definitely be well worth the effort to fix, as these units have very clean output, with the ability to put out alot more sound than the 75 WPC might suggest.

HomeBody
11-14-2009, 09:47 AM
One right fuse lamp barely illuminates ... to the unfamiliar, you'd think it had a funked power supply. But no sound from the speaker inputs...Its at work. I don't think it has a pre-amp/main needing shunts....
But if you say it's worth the repair, I can put my mind at some ease.

clydeselsor
11-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Got pics?

HomeBody
11-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Nothing pertinent - I know...:worthless

fogmoose
11-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Have an RX-400 which has been my main Receiver going on 26 yrs. I can vouch for it being a pretty good unit. mine has gone in for repairs only once about ten years ago, and one of the panel lights has since blown out, but otherwise it has held up well. Make sure you check the speaker 1/2 Buttons. They seem to degrade over time and you may have an intermittent connection, although you say you are not getting any input from the front switches so your problem may go deeper than that. If you decide to not spend the money to fix it, I would be interested in it for parts for my unit. Also I can copy send you scans of manual pages if you need them. By the way, I also have the predecessor to this model...the JR-S301 from a few years earlier, with an analog equalizer, and it still works and has a nice FM section. It isn't in great physical shape, but with a little de-oxit it wouldn't be bad...too bad we are not closer, we could trade! Good luck and keep me informed, could help me in case of future issues with mine...

Rich.

HomeBody
12-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Have an RX-400 which has been my main Receiver going on 26 yrs. I can vouch for it being a pretty good unit. mine has gone in for repairs only once about ten years ago, and one of the panel lights has since blown out, but otherwise it has held up well. Make sure you check the speaker 1/2 Buttons....

Just Sent Message to your InBox

dgkelley
05-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I have an R-x400 which I purchased when it first came out. Lightning struck house years ago and the display went out. The fuse lamps were replaced and all was good. Years later, it now works as a second stereo in my garage, paired with AR 850's. NICE! However, the display is out again. I replaced the fuse lamps, but still no display. Any suggestions?

HomeBody
05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
I cannibalized mine at the first of the year.
I still have the front panel for anyone needing a nice clean spare.