View Full Version : Sansui SP-x8000 (speakers) Problems

RoldGold
12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
THIS IS COPIED FROM ANOTHER SECTION, WHICH I POSTED IN.

I bought a pair of sansui sp-x8000 from a friend. they were in pretty bad condition, one of them had dried dog urine on them and the other had dried beer on it.

One of the woofers has some sort of dirt, on the cone. What should I use to get the dirt off. I was thinking I shouldn't be using anything wet, but I am not sure. It is a paper cone.

Also the surround of both of the woofers has a lot of foreign matter. Can I take a toothbrush and clean the foreign matter out? Or should I use a different tool?

Lastly, I was thinking that since the woofer is 16 inches, and even though it isn't really a long throw, and has very a small excursion; it still moves quite a bit of air. So a cabinet of its size seems way too small.

BTW. When I recieved them, one of the compression horns had a gargling underwater kind of sound. So I removed the driver and removed the diaphram and cleaned out the diaphragm and surrounding components. This didn't damage anything did it?

Thanks everybody! If you any comments at all, please list them!!

kfa888
12-29-2009, 02:32 PM
If you any comments at all, please list them!!

IMHO even a mint pair functioning 100% are going to be OK at best. I personally would not spend any time refurbing them. My opinion.

RoldGold
12-29-2009, 02:42 PM
You don't like the sansui speakers?

kfa888
12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
You don't like the sansui speakers?

nope. Like you said the woofer is to big for the box and makes less good bass than a well designed 8-10" in a the right box alignment. The spattering of other drivers and minimal crossovers just make them unbalanced and hard to listen to IMHO. To me they are just not well designed. They probably made some good speakers but most of the ones i have seen are not. they make some real nice vintage amps though. :thmbsp:

I had some minty SP-3000's my father bought new and gave to me many years later. Typical to that style speaker of the time and from Sansui they had little real bass, honky mids, harsh highs and would not image at all. the cabs were beautiful though. I had some little KLH 17's that were better in every regard with a tiny cab, and 8" woofer and a paper cone tweet. it is all in the design. Don't let the pile-o-drivers thing fool you. i would think no matter what you do to restore the Sansuis they will never sound close to as good as the Advent Legacy's in your sig.

http://motosportz.smugmug.com/Electronics/speakers/PICT5038/752510410_P6Zzm-S.jpg

http://motosportz.smugmug.com/Electronics/speakers/PICT5043/752510419_qxbrH-L.jpg

Teradacto58
12-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Clean em up and screw the covers on! If you wipe them with a damp sponge..have a blow dryer handy and dry real quick!! I have 2x 8080 Sansui receivers...+ assorted other pieces.. 7070 + amps...4X SP3500'S, 4X SP2500'S,2 SPX 2500'S + A few more small pairs. The Sansui speaker I like the most are the SP-2500's with the 12" woofers!!

RoldGold
12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
kfa888.

I think, personally, that the sansui's have a more full response than the Advent Legacy's, meaning I can hear more vocals and other minor things that I couldn't have heard with the Legacy's. But the Legacy's have an obnoxious amount of bass, their cabinet is larger than the Sansui and the legacy has a 10inch woofer. Also, I think the sensitivity of the Sansui's is much much higher than the Advent's.

All in all, I have very little to compare to the Sansui's, so IMHO they sound acceptable. Once I hear better speakers, obviously, my taste for speakers will change.

Your picture of your speakers are similar to my speakers.

RoldGold
12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Also...

I have a pair of speakers that I know very little about. The front grille has an imprinted metal tag that says PHL, and the back has a tag talking about Phillips spekaers. These are 2 way speakers, with a cabinet a little smaller than the Sansui's and they have a 5 1/2 inch cloth edge surround woofer and some sort of tweeter. It is hard to see through the front grille fabric. I think that these speakers have amazing response and intricate quality. But their power rating is 20 watts RMS :no:. So the only amp I can drive them with is my Technics SA-80, and they have a very low sensitivity. It really is a shame.

kfa888
12-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Also...

I have a pair of speakers that I know very little about. The front grille has an imprinted metal tag that says PHL, and the back has a tag talking about Phillips spekaers. These are 2 way speakers, with a cabinet a little smaller than the Sansui's and they have a 5 1/2 inch cloth edge surround woofer and some sort of tweeter. It is hard to see through the front grille fabric. I think that these speakers have amazing response and intricate quality. But their power rating is 20 watts RMS :no:. So the only amp I can drive them with is my Technics SA-80, and they have a very low sensitivity. It really is a shame.

20 watts is more than you think. Most people with average sensitivity speakers in the typical listening session use 1-10 watts. Lots of more efficient speakers will run you out of the room with 2-5 watt. Lots of speakers rated at 100-200 watts will never see anywhere near that.

Phillips is usually associated with good stuff.

gitfiddle42
12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
It's really comes down to what you like, I have a pair of xp 9000s very close to yours and the bass response is almost non existent to much woof not enough cab IMHO.l

RoldGold
12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
kfa888, I know 2-5 watts can get very loud. I meant I couldn't run them with my preferred amplifier which is 75 wpc. And then obviously I have to use my sa-80 receiver.

It becomes difficult to run both sets at the same time. I use a stanton DJ mixer which has 4 master outputs to run both amps at the same time. Plus I DJ occasionally, so the mixer isn't wasted.

gitfiddle42 I personally like the combination of my Sansui's and Advent Legacy's because I like the tight responsive bass from the sansui's. and where they lack, the advents make up for it. Also can you post a couple pictures of your sp-x9000, they are impressive. Can you also post a picture of the sticker on the back that has the specifications about the speakers (the thing with the driver diameters)?