View Full Version : Sony TAE1000ESD and 330ES Amp - Are these any good?

scottm015
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
I just picked up a preamp and amp in the ES line models mentioned in title. Are these any good? How would they compare to the following?;

1. Carver HTR-880 Receiver (70?W/ch) Presently listening to..
2. Adcom GFP-555II Preamp and Hafler DH200 (100W/ch) Waiting on shipment..
3. Denon AVR-2000 (80W/ch) Had for many years..
4. Pioneer SA-9100 (60W/ch) Presently working out a repair on this unit..
5. Sony TAE1000ESD and TA N330ES Amp (110W/ch) Like the look!! Waiting on shipment..
6. Yamaha AV-497 (60W/ch) Whimpy!! but good sound...

**Not in any order of preference BTW

I use these for 2 channel listening using CD, Turntable, and Tuner - through a pair of Polk SDA2 speakers and toying around to find my desired sound and look that I want. Some of these I have and listening to already and others I am waiting for shipment to arrive. I know it is all over the place with what is listed but opportunity and money has something to do with it too. Comments would be appreciated on which you think would be the most well liked of the bunch.

Tower Boss
01-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey Scott,

I'm not much of a Sony expert, only owned Walkman's and WEGA TV's, but here is some info on the pair from TVK, TA-E1000ESD (http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/TAE1000ESD/TAE1000ESD.html) and TA-N330ES (http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/TAN55ES/TAN55ES.html). They look to be well built, make a nice pair, and appears to be one of Sony's best sellers ever.

Regards,
TB

scottm015
01-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I think they really look nice together but being a function over form guy I'm hoping they are not too old of technology so that some cheap plastic new stuff would actually be better sounding... I'm open minded and continue my search none the less.

willhowl
01-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Hey, scottm015......I have no history with these two units, but I feel confident that since they are ES, an upper grade of Sony stuff, they will absolutely NOT DISAPPOINT!!!!!!

Just a WAG (wild-a$$ guess)..........good luck,willhowl:yes:

metal420
01-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Those 1000esd units are really nice and have a smooth sound and infinite eq options with plenty of inputs and a very good sounding onboard dac that does 44.1k and 48k I believe. Mine was beat up missing the door and remote, but after fixing some notorious 80s gear bad solder joints, the girl sang like new, till I sold her off.... wished I had it a few times since for sure.. cheers!

thedelihaus
01-20-2010, 01:58 AM
One of the nifty offerings from the major brands I'd be proud to own.

The pre-amp- I hunted one for a while. Pretty large feature section and advanced (good or bad depending on opinion) for the time. Built-in quality DAC adds to the flexability and attractiveness of the unit. Sony CDPs were well regarded at the time, and although newer DACs should out-pace them noteably, at the time they could be considered the bees knees.

But it's the amps I'm now attracted to. They typically run a bit hot, so be sure to vent them well, and in the long run this heat may tax some caps ond such, but innovative materials and layouts and mounting make these a pleasant amp, with a very untypical to solid state at the time- warm smooth presentation.

That said, Yamaha and Denon made great gear, though there's probably much better examples than the kit you speak of.

I really admire Hafler gear although for some reason it doesn't gel with me. Despite this, I regard Hafler gear highly as a budget line that runs with the big dogs and easily competes.

Carver is a very nice collection of gear. Plenty of it's own quirks, but a very pleasant sound and plenty of pleasant character.

scottm015
01-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Big question here --- Can the Sony perform a bypass mode for 2 ch listening? (uh oh) If no by pass is there an equivalent in the soundfields for just 2 ch listening? I looked through the manual and it appears to be a surround preamp only. Wonder what will happen for just trying to listen to 2ch music.

thefragger
01-20-2010, 08:20 AM
I love my TA-E1000ESd. It's quite literally infinitely adjustable! From what I understand, this was the most complex preamp that Sony ever made, and it's been the design that every other pre Sony's made was based on.

If you turn off the soundfield effects, eq, and all that jazz, plus if you only input two channels you'll only get out two channels, with no effects applied.

Freshen up the solder joints, upgrade a few choice caps and opamps, and you've got one mean machine!

Dr Tinear
01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I love my TA-E1000ESd. It's quite literally infinitely adjustable! From what I understand, this was the most complex preamp that Sony ever made, and it's been the design that every other pre Sony's made was based on.

If you turn off the soundfield effects, eq, and all that jazz, plus if you only input two channels you'll only get out two channels, with no effects applied. [Emphasis added]

Freshen up the solder joints, upgrade a few choice caps and opamps, and you've got one mean machine!

If you disable the soundfield effects and the EQ, you'll still have an extra A/D and D/A conversion in the signal path for all your analog sources. The successor model, the TA-E2000ESD, had a Source Direct mode that bypassed the converters. If the '1000 also has this mode, it's worth trying for 2-channel listening. I have a '2000, which until recently saw very occasional duty in a basic home theater system, and I recall the Source Direct connection as being slightly more transparent-sounding for stereo than the regular signal path. The difference was pretty subtle, though, and the preamp still sounded very fine with the converters in-circuit.