View Full Version : Boston Acoustics A100, series II - Specs? Set-up Suggestions?

Haileyburian
03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
I now have a pair of Boston Acoustics A100s, Series II. Terrific condition, but in storage for last 5+ years. Tweeter was gone in one, but was able to source locally a replacement pair of tweeters, from someone who also is an AK member.:music:

Overall impressions are quite positive, but Im initially thinking theyre just a bit thin with vintage Yamaha receiver (CR-2040). Want to let them run for a few hours before I do some more serious listening.

While Im waiting for these to settle in, does anyone have any information on the A100s frequency response, cross-over frequency, etc? Sensitivity is noted on the speaker as 90dB/W/m, but this seems on the high side to me.
Is there a vintage BA discussion website/forum similar to Polk? Anyone have any kind of information that they can provide? Brochure? Set-up suggestions? Ive done a search here, with limited results. Very little information on Boston Acoustics website, and slim pickings in their blog...

Urizen
03-09-2010, 02:48 PM
See here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/

They have a dedicated BA forum.

Haileyburian
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Now why the bleep didn't that come up on Google?

Thanks Urizen - I'll dive in and see what I can find...

terra1
03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
To me they don't have the punchiest bass nor the sizzle for some rock but "thin" is not what I would use to describe them.

They should be very smooth, detailed and sweet sounding for female vocals and jazz.

Maybe make sure speaker wires are connected properly and in phase.

Experiment with positioning, raising off the floor, etc. A room with hardwood floors and no drapes can sound different from carpeted draped room. Yamahas have a reputation for sounding "thin" too. Try a different receiver or see if tone controls have an effect.

Haileyburian
03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Pretty quiet in there (dedicated BA forum) 1 post in March, 1 post in February, none in January...

Haileyburian
03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
terra1 - all good points of course.

One thing I did notice right off is the height/angle. The speakers are intended as floor-standers, with an attached pedestal/riser about 2 inches high, with an overall height of about 32 inches. For my sitting configuration, they need to be 6-8 inches higher and probably should have a slight angle back to better 'aim' the tweeters...

hardrock94
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
haileyburian; i've got a60's a smaller verison of your a70s,and i have them,on stands that are 26" tall. just right, toed in just a little to the listening position. sound great.
cheers dave.

Haileyburian
03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
A short update -

Cleaned them up good, ran them for a day or three, and these have settled in nicely.:D

I guess after being in storage for 5+ years, they had to flex and breathe for a bit and lose some of the dust that I couldn't brush off. Will have to switch things around with different amplification to see what is better/best combination...

mtb_ww
04-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Did anyone find a stand that works with the A100? I have a pair that needs to be higher, but am having problems finding a suitable stand. May go the DIY route if I can find a decent design.