View Full Version : IRISH Whiskey vs. SCOTCH Whisky

SixCats!
04-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Hi all,

Inspired by the wonderful "Scotch" thread here in the "Cooking & Spirits" section, I have been researching/searching the Web for hours on end over the past couple of weeks to educate myself about Whiskey. Truthfully, I haven't been much of a Hard liquor drinker. I've always been a Beer/Wine person. So, I was delighted to stumbled across the "Scotch" thread here at AK as I have been (for some time) wanting to purchase a bottle (or two) of some HIGHER end Whiskey for (mostly) weekend sipping. After much research, I decided my first purchase would NOT be Scotch Whiskey.
Being of Irish descent, I decided to go with the often (heck VERY often) recommend Irish Whiskey "REDBREAST". I think I made a VERY good choice! At first, I was going to purchase MIDLETON VERY RARE Irish Whiskey but, at a cost of over one hundred dollars a bottle, I decided to "test the waters" by purchasing "REDBREAST" (which is less than HALF the cost of MIDLETON). So, for those of you experienced in the ways of Whiskey, was my first purchase a good choice ? That is to say, is MIDLETON VERY RARE worth over one hundred and twenty something dollars for a 750ml bottle ?
Is there some other Irish Whiskey that I should also consider ?
(heck, there are only THREE Distillery in Ireland that makes ALL the Irish Whiskey). Perhaps I should consider buying a bottle of SCOTCH instead of Irish Whiskey ? I am opened to all suggestions. Oooh, for those interested, the FORBES article on Irish Whiskey is a good article!

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom

whoaru99
04-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Scotch is a very different taste than Irish. I like some Irish too, although I've never had any real high end stuff.

Had some Bushmills green label (10yr single malt) that I thought was pretty good, but it certainly doesn't have the smokey, peaty taste of many Scotch varieties, IMO.

So, if you don't really care for that smokey, peaty taste, sticking to the Irish might be the thing to do.

luvvinvinyl
04-03-2010, 07:36 PM
There are some other options for Irish. Bushmills has a very nice 16-year-0ld Three Cask single malt. The flavours are developed more than in the 10-year-old, but still short of the 16+ y.o. single malt Scotch.

There are some other varieties of single malt Irish, though I have not tried any. Lagavulin is my preferred potent potable.

pustelniakr
04-03-2010, 07:58 PM
There are some other options for Irish. Bushmills has a very nice 16-year-0ld Three Cask single malt. The flavours are developed more than in the 10-year-old, but still short of the 16+ y.o. single malt Scotch.

There are some other varieties of single malt Irish, though I have not tried any. Lagavulin is my preferred potent potable.
Better pay attention of this fellow. It is always good to see Ernie walking in with bottle in hand...

Enjoy,
Rich P

luvvinvinyl
04-03-2010, 08:04 PM
You are too kind, my good sir. It is always my pleasure to see you and share some time and drink a 'health'.

fotno
04-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Ernie is the man when it comes to good whisky... He was my introduction to Lagavulin, and if you have a love for Islay Scotch, I've never found anything better. Peaty, rich and warming, it's like the embrace of a well loved and colorful friend.

The Bushmills 16 single is very nice also, but Irish and Scotch Whisky couldn't be more different.

luvvinvinyl
04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Ernie is the man when it comes to good whisky... He was my introduction to Lagavulin, and if you have a love for Islay Scotch, I've never found anything better. Peaty, rich and warming, it's like the embrace of a well loved and colorful friend.

I like what I like, and whom I like. It's really good when I can bring them together. It's only fitting that you feel that way about Lagavulin.

The Bushmills 16 single is very nice also, but Irish and Scotch Whisky couldn't be more different.

...just like music...

...and stereos...

...and people.

KentTeffeteller
04-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Three cheers for Lagavulin, the Water Of Life! Salute! :yes::yes:

SixCats!
04-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies thus far. Well, I guess it only makes sense that my next purchase should be something "other" than Irish Whiskey
(so as to broaden my taste buds). From my research, LAGAVULIN (Sixteen) has been on my short list for SCOTCH. Oooh, a couple of neat sites I've found doing my research are WWW.MALTMADNESS.COM and WWW.FORPEATSAKE.COM

Some Whiskey names (both Scotch and Irish) that have my peaked my interest (aside from REDBREAST) are : Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Glenmorangie, MaCallan, Bushmill (Malt Rare 21) Midleton Very Rare, Jameson 18, to name a few. Ahhhh, so much Whiskey, so little time (and money).

Regards,
SixCats!

Jailtime
04-04-2010, 01:37 AM
You should put Auchentoshan on your list of Scotch to try. One of the few Lowland distilleries remaining. Their Three Wood is a wonderfully smooth, flavorful whisky.

5stringer
04-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Small point of interest........Scotch is the only one to be spelt W H I S K Y,minus the E.Irish is spelt W H I S K E Y,as are all the others.Just so's you know.

SixCats!
04-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks JT for the recommendation. 5stringer, I thought the "E" was dropped in Candana and the U.S. Ummmmm, I've been researching so much that I must be confused. Thanks.

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats!
04-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi all,

Ummmm, I've never been much of a"speller".
Nevertheless, yes, I will commit to memory, Scotch Whisky and Irish WhiskEy.

OK, so the burning (or hopefully, not so burning) question for today is :
has anyone here at AK tried the Irish Whiskey "Redbreast" and if so,
how does it compare/stack up against you favorite Scotch Whisky ?
I read an interesting article where the four Master Distillers of Jameson
(not the "suits") when asked by a gentleman filming a Documentary at Jameson asked them what their favorite Whiskey was and all four replied "Redbreast". Ummmm, I thought for sure they would of said Jameson 18 or Midleton Very Rare or something exotic but all four said "Redbreast" and that's good enough for me! The article is titled
"God save Ireland". Just Google Redbreast Irish Whiskey.

Regards,
SixCats!

niklasthedol
04-04-2010, 07:26 AM
I believe you meant to ask: "IRISH Whiskey vs. SCOTCH Whisky" and NOT: "IRISH Whiskey vs. SCOTCH Whiskey"

Please don't confuse Whiskey, Whiskie and Whisky.

I believe there are more than three distilleries in Ireland.
Maybe you think of companies owing them or distributing the drops.
In Scotland as well, there are many distilleries but not many companies.

Irish Whiskey are known for usually being triplle distilled.
Only few Scotch distilleries do this.

There are laws to follow to be allowed to write Scotch on a label.
Same goes for writing Single Malt on the label.

May I suggest reading some litterature by Michael Jackson?
Not the late musician, Michael Jackson, but the late Whisky genious, Michael Jackson.
Here's a few links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_%28writer%29
http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/author/michael_jackson.html
http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jacksons-Complete-Single-Scotch/dp/076240731X

"dolph"

SixCats!
04-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi Nik,

Man, I am totally loosing it! Thanks for reminding me to change the original title (which I just did). To the best of my knowledge, there are only three Distilleries that produce ALL the Irish Whiskey. I.E. Jameson, Bushmills and Cooley. This is not to say each Whisky is the same product with just different labels attached. If memory serves (for instance) Jameson produces :
Jameson 1780, Midleton, Powers, Paddy, Redbreast, Tullamore Dew, etc.
Thanks for the link on MJ. Redbreast anyone ?

Regards,
SixCats!

RT Fan
04-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Try "Black Bush" by Bushmill's, an excellent Irish blended whiskey. 'Tis a thing of beauty.

SixCats!
04-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi RT,

Thanks for the recommendation on Black Bush. As a matter of fact, I just read where BUSHMILLS was voted THE Worlds Best Irish Whiskey by the 2010 San Francisco World Spirits competition. Black Bush won several Gold.
Google search "Bushmills voted Worlds best..." to find the article.
I'd post the article if I knew how. Well, now I HAVE to try Black Bush!

Regards,
SixCats!

TOO LOUD???
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
My current indulgences are Tullamore Dew and Speyburn single malt. Both very tasty. I'm of Irish descent but I like Scotch Whisky as well.

BPFisch
04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Another Irish whiskey to add to your list:

The Tyrconnell Single Malt

Very, very good whiskey and can typically be found for less than a number of other Irish offerings. Better tasting and easier on the pocket book... good combination!

Kismet1968
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
I prefer:
Chivas Regal
Macallan
Dewar's (yes a bit generic but still good)

On the rocks with a water back ! :thmbsp:

SixCats!
04-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the recommendations. Years ago, I tried Tullamore Dew and it was good. Tyrconnell is on my "to try" list. I am half way through my first bottle of Redbreast. I can't decided if I should buy another bottle of Redbreast, a different Irish Whiskey or a bottle of Scotch Whisky.
Having limited funds makes this a very difficult choice.
For IRISH Whiskey (on the lesser expensive side) I am considering giving
BUSHMILLS BLACK BUSH a try. If really strapped for cash, I'm thinking more along the lines of POWERS. I want to buy MIDLETON VERY RARE when I have the extra money. As far as SCOTCH Whisky, I'm thinking LAGAVULIN 16 or LAPHROAIG 10, and of course MACALLAN 18. On the "bargain side", perhaps THE FAMOUS GROUSE GOLD RESERVE ? Open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom Patrick

whoaru99
04-09-2010, 07:22 AM
MACALLAN 18.

As has been mentioned, good stuff if you like Scotch, but at ~$150 for a 750, it's one you'd somewhat want to know you like before buying. :yes: Saw some tasty-looking Bushmills 16yr single malt Irish when I was browsing last night, about $70 for a 750, but I ended up just buying a little beer.

luvvinvinyl
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Many pubs have a list of Single Malts that you can taste, by the shot. It would be worth the expense, to try some, before you buy a bottle.

Bogframe
04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Many pubs have a list of Single Malts that you can taste, by the shot. It would be worth the expense, to try some, before you buy a bottle.

That makes a lot of sense to me, that's how I decided on buying the bottle of The Glenlivet 18 I've been nursing for the last couple of years.

Jack Lord
04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I am a Jameson man myself. Smooth and it takes the edge off. I prefer Irish and American Whiskey/Bourbon to Scotch. Not that Scotch is bad, mind you.

SixCats!
04-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi all,

Thank you all for all your suggestions. Please keep em coming! Whoaru99, I will take your advice (and that of the other guys) and find a Bar where I can first sample the "Higher End" Scotch/Irish Spirits before I spend one hundred dollars (plus) a bottle. Good advice all.
OK, today is Friday April 9th. and I made a Liquor purchase this afternoon. Being cash poor, I decided to try a (blended) Scotch this time around.
I decided on a 750ml Bottle of "THE FAMOUS GROUSE" (GOLD RESERVE) Scotch. The cost was thirty four dollars (all I could afford to spend).
I even considered saving ten dollars by buying a bottle of POWERS Irish Whiskey instead but, I thought "THE FAMOUS GROUSE" (GOLD RESERVE) might be fun to compare against the more expensive (fifty dollar bottle) Irish Whiskey Redbreast. I am VERY much enjoying Redbreast and I have about half a bottle remaining. I will post my first impressions on
"THE FAMOUS GROUSE" later this evening. Thanks again all.

Regards,
SixCats!

eteller
04-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Bushmills!

SixCats!
04-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi Ed,

Yea, I ALMOST bought BUSHMILLS BLACK BUSH but thought I try Scotch instead. Perhaps my next purchase will be BB. Have you tried REDBREAST ?

Regards,
SixCats!

keithpgdrb
04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
If it hasnt been said, I really enjoy bushmills "black bush" for sipping. real nice. also, one of my favorite scotches is highland park.

SixCats!
04-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi all,

OK, my first impression of "THE FAMOUS GROUSE" (GOLD RESERVE) Scotch Whisky is...I wish I had waited and put aside twenty more dollars and bought another bottle of Irish REDBREAST Whiskey! However, I KNEW going in that this was going to be quite different than the Irish Whiskey. I realize that I need to give this Scotch more time. UN-like Irish Whiskey,
"The Grouse" is NOT what I would describe as smooth compared to Redbreast. Also, I find this Scotch is lacking the sweetness of Redbreast. No doubt about it, Scotch is a different Animal as it sort of burns and has a rather unique Medicinal taste. I also now understanding reviews/reviewers that use the word "Oily" to describe the liquid texture. Not bad per se, but, the term "oily" popped right into my Head after taking a good sip.
As I mentioned before, I haven't had Scotch in a loooong time so, it just might take me some time to get use to this type Spirit again. It will be interesting to see if I adjust to this rather unique Scotch blend. Time will tell if I am indeed cut out to be a Scotch man or (per my Irish) as Whiskey guy.

Regards,
SixCats!

niklasthedol
04-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Just opened a Caol Ila 12 year Distillers Edition from muscat casks.
Wonderful, smokey, peaty, loooooong slightly sweet aftertaste.

"dolph"

a_retent
04-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Redbreast anyone ?

After stumbling onto this thread and reading all of it, I guess I'm the only other AK member willing to admit that he has tried "Redbreast" and will tell you that I enjoyed it. It was a fine choice you made and one worthy of visiting again. Is it the best that money can buy? Don't think so, but it is rather tasty. Blackbush and Tyrconnell are also great mentions and I have enjoyed them too, Powers was okay and Middleton was a bit overpriced for my liking. There are sooo many different scotches to choose from it's almost as difficult as buying wine IMHO. Not all scotch has a smoky-peaty taste, some distillers such as Glengoyne use no peat in the malt drying process at all. Some highland distillers may use peat containing a great deal of flower decay which gives a much more delicate aroma and softer sweeter flavor to the pallet, i.e. Dalwhinnie, Scapa, Loch Morar and Tomintoul 16. But for those of us that embrace that big bold, oceanfront slap in the face salt spray, smokey peaty drag your tongue throught the tarpit taste, (me, me, me) then Lagavoulin/Caol Ila 18, Laphroaig 15, Ardbeg 10 and Tobermory are what you should look for. Some scotches have a nice combination of light smoke and floral sweetness such as Talisker, Oban, Clynelish and Ardmore. If you really want to get great information about scotch, bourbon and whiskey the best publication I found was written by Michael Jackson titled "Whiskey, the definitive world guide". It is a great reference and will get picked up and looked at if on your coffee table. Honestly, the liquor hobby can be quite spendy and I try not to exceed the self imposed limit of $150.00 per bottle. I've had the luxury of sampling 35year old "The Macallan", Deanston, Glenfarclas and a few other varieties at well over $300.00 a bottle. I come to the realization that when you find yourself paying more for a bottle of alcohol than your monthly car payment or an average house payment then perhaps the intention may be to impress others moreover than enjoyment of the craft.

Read the following link about some 55 year old "The Macallan".
http://www.twincities.com/ci_8213203?nclick_check=1

I and others here can recommend any and everything for you to try until your bankruptcy hearing. Ultimately it's what crosses your pallet and pleases you that matters. I personally wouldn't even cook with Famous Grouse but someone else will tell you they consider it a top shelf blend. When cooking my pork ribs I don't use Jack Daniels I prefer the more oak barrel taste of George Dickle and it's usually cheaper. I don't drink much blended scotch, more liking for the single malts really. Nothing against the blends but if I REALLY want a blend I can make my own using my pallet's taste and not someone else's. All Johnnie Walkers are blended from single malts; green label is blended from Talisker, Craggenmore and two other single malts. My challenge is to find quality for under a hundred dollars a bottle and be able to enjoy say 30 different scotches, bourbons, tequila or what have you versus say 1 or maybe 2 bottles of extremely expensive liquor that my friends would have little appreciation for. By way of variety I can share with others the ability to learn a greater appreciation for such an age old art.

Drink conservatively, savor the flavors and think about what it is you taste as you sip from your dram, therein lies your reward my friend.

Cheers :D

Satch
04-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Just some remarks here. Generally speaking (there are always exceptions), Irish whiskey is distilled three times, most Scotch whisky is distilled twice. That means, again generally speaking, Irish whiskey tends to have a softer flavour then Scotch (or blander, according to some...). So if you're accustomed to Irish whiskey, it may be Scotch whisky is a bit 'rougher'. Now I don't know Redbreast, but I've tried most Bushmills, and it's a big step from Bushmills to, say, a Lagavullin. It has cost me several years to enjoy the more peaty whisky's.

Having said that, I couldn't agree more with what a retent said before me. I've tried many, many whisky's, and it's not always the most expensive ones that I liked best.

grinnell
04-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Connemara, this is a wonderful and powerful Irish whisky

SixCats!
04-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi all,

Thanks again all for your comments and suggestions.
R_, thank you for your very informative response to my thread. Also thanks for the link on the Macallan. Regarding Redbreast, yes indeed, I think Redbreast is a very good (mid price) choice for Irish Whiskey no doubt.
I figured I had to start somewhere and since I found so many positive reviews/comments/recommendations for Redbreast I figured it would be a safe bet and a good place to start. I am not disappointed in the least.
As you said, is it the best Whiskey ? Well, I suppose for some folks it may very well be their favorite especially considering the price of fifty dollars a bottle. However, since I am very new to this "hobby", only time
(and much tasting) will tell. I plan to take the advice of our AK'ers and find an establishment that serves "Higher End" Spirits before I make any purchase over fifty dollars. I for one would like to know if MIDLETON VERY RARE is worth nearly THREE times the cost of Redbreast Irish Whiskey.
As far as "THE FAMOUS GROUSE" (GOLD RESERVE) blended Scotch goes,
well, perhaps I was a bit too quick on the trigger making this purchase.
I realize that Scotch is a totally different animal compared to Irish Whiskey so, I guess more tasting is in order. Oooh R_, I agree with you, I too am always in search of the bestest for the leastest. I also agree with you that, should I discover that I love a "Higher End" Spirit, my price point will also be at (or near) the one hundred and fifty dollar mark. Such a Liquor would be for special occasions only.

Regards,
SixCats!

KentTeffeteller
04-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Just remember, this major quote,

"Water Is Alright In Tay, and Fish & Things Which Swim In Rivers"

The Clancy Brothers

Music to drink by! :tresbon:

Fred Sanford
04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi all,

OK, my first impression of "THE FAMOUS GROUSE" (GOLD RESERVE) Scotch Whisky is...I wish I had waited and put aside twenty more dollars and bought another bottle of Irish REDBREAST Whiskey! However, I KNEW going in that this was going to be quite different than the Irish Whiskey. I realize that I need to give this Scotch more time. UN-like Irish Whiskey,
"The Grouse" is NOT what I would describe as smooth compared to Redbreast. Also, I find this Scotch is lacking the sweetness of Redbreast. No doubt about it, Scotch is a different Animal as it sort of burns and has a rather unique Medicinal taste. I also now understanding reviews/reviewers that use the word "Oily" to describe the liquid texture. Not bad per se, but, the term "oily" popped right into my Head after taking a good sip.
As I mentioned before, I haven't had Scotch in a loooong time so, it just might take me some time to get use to this type Spirit again. It will be interesting to see if I adjust to this rather unique Scotch blend. Time will tell if I am indeed cut out to be a Scotch man or (per my Irish) as Whiskey guy.

Regards,
SixCats!

Just as a fun little note here- on trip to my parents' house last year I found a bottle of Famous Grouse that my Grandmother had brought with her when she had moved in with my folks...this would have been about 1984. She passed in about 1992, but the bottle had remained untouched in our basement for this entire time. I've been pouring myself a glass each time I visit, as a toast to her, even sharing a few with close friends (members of my wedding party) who have dropped in to visit when I've been in town.

I can't really give you much of a review other than mostly agreeing with the opinions above (not being a Scotch drinker myself); but it's been a warm, comfortable connection with my Grandmother that I'm really enjoying.

je

SixCats!
04-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Hi JE,

Thanks for sharing that lovely story about your Grandmother. I too often think about my Grandmother (who was from Kilkenny, Ireland). I recall my three Brother's and I drinking a toast (of Jameson) to Grandma upon her death. Kent, my Grandma use to always ask me (upon visiting her)
"Tommy, would you like a lovely cup of Tay ?" Funny, I'd forgotten that until you mentioned Tay. I miss her dearly. OK, I had my second try at The Famous Grouse (Gold Reserve) last night. I pour myself a wee bit, about a shots worth. I must say, this time around, I found it MUCH better than the night before! I think my first experience with this Scotch was just getting use to drinking hard liquor again. This time, I didn't really feel the burn, the peat and smoke wasn't overwhelming, the texture didn't seem quite as oily. In short, a much better tasting than the night before. I suspect I am "adjusting" to the newness of Scotch. When one thinks about it, I suppose it's no different than trying certain/unique foods for the first time. Heck, I recall nearly GAGGING when trying Sushi for the first time back in the early 1980's. Now, Sushi is among my favorite foods (although I haven't had GREAT Sushi since I left Studio City, California in the mid 1990's). I am speaking of the great Sushi master Nozawa.
At any rate, perhaps I am beginning to learn to like Scotch although, I think I'm going to be more of a Irish Whiskey guy.

Regards,
Tom Patrick aka SixCats!

Pstraums
04-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I got a Lagavulin 16y single malt as a "thank-you for a favour" for a good friend many years ago... (15?) I really wanted to LIKE the taste of "brown liqour" for a long time prior to that, but had not managed to .. really enjoy it... The Lagavulin is not the "simplest" single malt to like perhaps, but after "practising" with that un for a couple of weeks, I became a fan! it`s a great single malt imho, and I`ve tested lotsa others .. When it comes to Scotch I`m not such a big fan, but I guess I`ve had a couple of nice Scotch's as well .. but, I guess If I had to choose, I`d go for the Irish version :)

I remember when I went home to see my parents (proud to finally have "mastered the taste of brown liqour") and presented my father with a new bottle of Lagavulin 16y single malt... He commented that it tasted like "licking on an old freshly "tared" wooden ship."

bummer... :banana:

SixCats!
04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Pst,

I for sure want to give LAGAVULIN 16 a try. However, I will first find an Establishment that serves it by the shot before I even consider buying a bottle.
I'm beginning to think that perhaps HIGHLAND Scotch might be a better suited to my taste, perhaps something on the order of GLENMORANGIE 10 which I understand doesn't have all the smoke and Peat.
Of course I have to finish that bottle of THE FAMOUS GROUSE (Gold Reserve)
before I even think of buying another bottle of Scotch. As far as Irish Whiskey goes, I'm thinking (aside from buying another bottle of REDBREAST 12) I may want to next purchase either the BUSHMILLS 16 single malt or the POWERS 12 (Gold label).

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats!
04-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

I couldn't justify spending fifty (or more) dollars today for my next purchase for my ever growing collection of Whiskey/Whisky. I'm still working my way (slooowly) through that bottle of "THE FAMOUS GROUSE GOLD RESERVE" Scotch Whisky I bought last week. At any rate, I really wanted to try a different Irish Whiskey to compare against REDBREAST. So, I was thinking of trying Black Bush, Bushmills 10 or Powers 12 but again, money is too tight. So instead, I just bought a bottle of POWERS Irish Whiskey (Gold label) for twenty three dollars. I must say, I am NOT disappointed in the least! POWERS GOLD LABEL is a FINE tasting Irish Whiskey, that is (too) easy to drink! No wonder POWERS has been THE best selling Whiskey in Ireland. At any rate, I do limit myself to no more than a couple of shots worth (at most) a few times a week. Sure, POWERS is not as bold or complex as REDBREAST but Hell, it's thirty dollars LESS a bottle and has a lovely taste. Given it's price, HIGHLY recommended.

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats!
04-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

Well, I'm slooowly developing a taste for Scotch.
"THE FAMOUS GROUSE" (Gold Reserve) is growing on me! Granted, I realize that in the World of Scotch, "The Famous Grouse" (GR) is considered an entry level/BFYB (best for your buck) dram, nevertheless, it's a pretty darn good blend! That being said, I look forward to trying out the likes of Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Macallan, Talisker, Highland Park, Glenrothes, Dahlwhinnie, Oban, Glenmorangie, Ardbeg, Glenfarclas, Glenlivet, Auchentoshan, etc. etc. etc.
I'm so overwhelmed with all these well reviewed Whiskys, I truly don't know where to begin. Well, I guess it will depend on how much money will be available from "The Tommy fund".

Regards,
SixCats!

niklasthedol
04-20-2010, 05:15 AM
On my shelves here:

Balvenie
Talisker
Old Pultney
Benromach
Highland Park
Ardbeg
Millburn
Bowmore
Cragganmore
Bruichladdich
Dufftown
Oban
Glenfarclas
Bunnahabhain
Glen Avon
Springbank
Glen Grant
Caol Ila
Glenrothes
Miltonduff
Ardmore
Lagavulin
Dalmore
Jura
Dalwhinnie
Inverleven
Glen Albyn
Smokehead
Littlemill
Glengoyne
Laphroaig
Glen Mhor
Longmorn
Port Ellen
Glenmorangie
Auchentoshan
St.Magdalene

Jameson
Bushmill
Tyrconnel
Midleton
Tullamore

Four Roses
Jack Daniels
Wild Turkey
Jim Beam
W.Laure Weller
George Dickel
Dimple

Yamazaki
Nikka Yoichi

And all the other bottles of spirituosa!!
Rhum, Cognac, Slivovice, Aquavit, Limoncello, Bols, Vodka, Gin, Boonekamp, Von Oosten..........etc. etc.

"dolph"

cwall99
04-20-2010, 05:20 AM

My dad loves Lagavulin. I get him a bottle for Christmas pretty much every year. But for me, it's way too smoky. I think that's why he likes it: no one else will drink it but him.

I don't like drinking something that tastes like camping firepit ashes after you've poured water on them. I like my scotch a little more mellow than this.

But, as with music, you can never win an argument on aesthetics.

Enjoy your Lagavulin. I'll drink my Laphroiag.

SixCats!
04-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Hi all,

Nik, wow, that's an impressive list of Spirits! Soooo, what's your top favorites ? Cwall, I MUST find an establishment where I can sample both Laphroaig & Lagavulin. If memory serves, Laphroaig is suppose to be one of THE smokiest/peat of all Scotch. Truthfully, I haven't any idea if I'd enjoy either of the two. I wonder if a Highland Scotch might be a better way to start ? Oooh well, only one way to find out. At any rate, I'm having a good time just research both Scotch & Irish. I'm keeping a running list of what is said to be the top contenders. I also enjoy searching/researching the
"best bang for your buck" Scotch (and Irish). Recently, I read MANY good comments about ABERLOUR A'Bundha.

Regards,
SixCats!

niklasthedol
04-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Hi all,

Nik, wow, that's an impressive list of Spirits! Soooo, what's your top favorites ? Cwall, I MUST find an establishment where I can sample both Laphroaig & Lagavulin. If memory serves, Laphroaig is suppose to be one of THE smokiest/peat of all Scotch. Truthfully, I haven't any idea if I'd enjoy either of the two. I wonder if a High Land Scotch might be a better way to start ? Oooh well, only one way to find out. At any rate, I'm having a good time just research both Scotch & Irish. I'm keeping a running list of what is said to be the top contenders. I also enjoy searching/researching the
"best bang for your buck" Scotch (and Irish). Recently, I read MANY good comments about ABERLOUR 16. It sounds like a heck of a deal at about fifty dollars a bottle.

Regards,
SixCats!

As with music, there is a favourite single malt for each mood or occasion.

I would rarely start an evening with a smokey, peaty or tarish single malt as you find them often on Islay.
These are usually to end an evening.

Broadly spoken fitting each their occasion, I am very fond of Glen Avon 1954, Lagavulin 16y. when I'm out sailing, Glenfarclas sherry cask when I enjoy it with women or single malt starters, Caol Ila signatory with honey/heather when on the moores, Glen Grant for a slow enjoyment, Benromach when I'm in the forrests, Talisker for a very quick shot, Jura with french fries or rib-eye steak, Tullamore for Irish Coffee (not for me thoug - I hate coffee).

Within some distilleries, there are special editions that really stands out.

If I want the best (and unfortunately also usually the most expensive) from my collection, I'd take Ardbeg 1974, Port Ellen 1982, Glen Avon 1959, Glen Grant 1949 or Glen Farclas 30y. sherry cask.

Enjoy

"dolph"

cdfac
04-20-2010, 10:19 AM
I am a Jameson man myself. Smooth and it takes the edge off. I prefer Irish and American Whiskey/Bourbon to Scotch. Not that Scotch is bad, mind you.

that's me, too. i've tried to like Scotch on multiple occasions, sampling some $50-$75/bottle stuff, but i always come back to Jameson as an inexpensive sipping liquor. my only other experience with Irish Whiskey is Black Bush, but i wasn't exactly in a state to properly appreciate it, and i look forward to trying better Irish stuff down the road (i'm 1/4 Irish after all). Glenlivet isn't too bad as a relatively inexpensive Scotch, though, much preferred by me over Dewar's.

RT Fan
04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
CWall, I'd have to say that is the first time I have ever seen the words "mellow" & "Laphroig" in proximity to each other! :scratch2:

Laphroig's nickname "Tiger's Claws" is well earned. :D One of the more radical Islay single malts.

Dolph, that is one heck of a single malt/whisky/whiskey collection, better than a lot of bars I've been in. :yes:

fmueller
04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
On my shelves here:

Balvenie
Talisker
Old Pultney
Benromach
Highland Park
Ardbeg
Millburn
Bowmore
Cragganmore
Bruichladdich
Dufftown
Oban
Glenfarclas
Bunnahabhain
Glen Avon
Springbank
Glen Grant
Caol Ila
Glenrothes
Miltonduff
Ardmore
Lagavulin
Dalmore
Jura
Dalwhinnie
Inverleven
Glen Albyn
Smokehead
Littlemill
Glengoyne
Laphroaig
Glen Mhor
Longmorn
Port Ellen
Glenmorangie
Auchentoshan
St.Magdalene

Jameson
Bushmill
Tyrconnel
Midleton
Tullamore

Four Roses
Jack Daniels
Wild Turkey
Jim Beam
W.Laure Weller
George Dickel
Dimple

Yamazaki
Nikka Yoichi

And all the other bottles of spirituosa!!
Rhum, Cognac, Slivovice, Aquavit, Limoncello, Bols, Vodka, Gin, Boonekamp, Von Oosten..........etc. etc.

"dolph"

You must tell us your secret how to keep that stuff on a shelf! I can only keep 3-4 bottles on a shelf. If I buy more, the others will disappear :dunno:

Frank

niklasthedol
04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
You must tell us your secret how to keep that stuff on a shelf! I can only keep 3-4 bottles on a shelf. If I buy more, the others will disappear :dunno:

Frank

I admit we have 6 big shelves to have the alcohol on.
The collection have been build up over ~ 11 years.

We don't drink that often here.

But when we have guests, we can choose to drink anything pure or mix whatever drinks we want.
Cool option.

And we have family, among other places, in Scotland, CZ, Central America/Carrib Islands each with very much knowledge on single malt, beer and rhum.
They have been our supervisors since the start.
:thmbsp:

"dolph"

RT Fan
04-20-2010, 03:39 PM
That reminds me I have to post a photo of my holdings in the "Liquor Cabinet/Bar thread."

marantzfan
04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
That makes a lot of sense to me, that's how I decided on buying the bottle of The Glenlivet 18 I've been nursing for the last couple of years.

Couple of years? :no:

I have noticed that after just a a few months being opened or less scotch starts to lose its taste. I dugout a bottle of Glenlivet French Oak the other day that I opened 6 months ago and it tastes nothing like it did when I opened it. Not good.

I know alot of scotch manufacturers recommend drinking the bottle within a month!

SixCats!
04-20-2010, 06:00 PM
SixCats!

a_retent
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I had a liquor distributor recommend replacing the cork stoppers with plastic if an opened bottle were to be setting for some time. I regularly tip my bottles to keep the corks "wetted" so the cork stays swelled for a better seal.

SixCats!
05-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Hi all,

I can't believe how NUTZ I've become about the Whisky/Whiskey hobby.
Perhaps years of Audio collecting has lost it's luster and I need a new fix.
I have been researching the web and have learned all kinds of information.
I have even joined www.whiskymag.com and become an active member.
I am enjoying Spirts (in moderation) and I am slowly building a decent collection
(stash if you will) of Irish, Scotch (and Vodka). So far, my collection consist of Redbreast, Black Bush, The Irishman Original Clan
(aka 70) Highland Park 12, and Tamdhu 10, The Famous Grouse Gold Reserve,
Powers, Tito's Vodka, and several NIPS. I've been going back and forth trying to decide what will be my first ISLAY. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with ARDBEG 10 (price being a big factor). Speaking of price, the Tamdhu 10 (very light/smooth) is a DE-licious tasting Scotch. At twenty two dollars a bottle, a real bargain! One Scotch Web site rated Tamdhu 10 90 points. I'm also interested in trying POWERS 12 & Tullamore Dew 12.
I am enjoying the BLACK BUSH however, REDBREAST rules!
I had a NIP of Bushmills "Original" and I very much enjoyed their basic Whiskey! I suppose I should try some Jameson. Connemara sounds interesting. Scotch wise, wow, there is so much to choose. As I mentioned, I am going to give an Islay a try. For blended, I liked to own a bottle of "Monkey Shoulder" for the name alone lol. NON-Islay, I'm not sure what to buy. At any rate, I'm having a blast!

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats!
05-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi all,

It is "I" SixCats! one of the newest members of "The Irish Whiskey Society".
Just a little update. If you like Irish Whiskey and haven't yet tried
"The Irishman Original Clan" (aka 70) by all means, go buy yourself a bottle now!
I purchased a bottle with the intent of putting it away until Fall. Ha, yea right.
OK, so I was weak, I admit it. However, I am GLAD I was weak! Last night I couldn't stand waiting to try "The Irishman" so, I opened the bottle and poured myself a double. Lordy Lordy Lordy, talk about an OUTSTANDING Whiskey! Time will tell weather or not it will surpass my current favorite (Redbreast) but, considering "The Irishman" cost $15.00 less than Redbreast (NH pricing $28.00 a 750ml) "The Irishman" is a super bargain! The only Bummer is I have to drive to NH (from Maine) to purchase "The Irishman" as it is not sold in Maine. In fact, "The Irishman" might be rather difficult to come by anywhere as I do believe it has limited distribution. As of this writing, I have tried Redbreast, Powers, Black Bush, Bushmills Original, Kellan and now "The Irishman". Redbreast and "The Irishman" are my top favorites followed by Black Bush. Powers & Bushmill Original are very nice budget drams. No doubt about it, I have a strong liking for PURE POT STILL Whiskies
(Redbreast & "The Irishman"). A MUST try! HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended!

Regards,
SixCats!

libertycaps
06-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Just finishing a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask as i type this. I'm solidly in the no "e" camp myself and a McDonald clan Scot to boot! Not to say i'd turn down a lovely dram of Irish. The Knappogue Castle 1995 is especially fine.

SixCats!
06-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Hello Caps,

What ? No Irish WhiskEy. Tis a shame, tis a shame. I recently developed a LOVE for BLACK BUSH. Wonderful stuff! I can see why BB recently won "double Gold" awards. As far as Irish Whiskey goes, I've stored extra bottles of Jameson 12, Redbreast and Black Bush. I should also buy some Powers. I plan to purchase more "The Irishman" as well. I haven't tried too many Scotch Whisky as of yet. Only "The Famous Grouse Gold Reserve", Tamdhu 10, Teacher Highland Cream. Laphroaig 10 is on sale this month in Maine so
I plan to purchase before the end of the month. I really want to try
(perhaps more than anything) Lagavulin 16. However, at $65.00 a bottle (NH) and $70.00+ in Maine, I hoping it will go on sale sometime soon. Oooh, Jameson 12 is $15.00 LESS expensive per bottle in NH vs. Maine.
Maine State taxes are out of control! So Caps, what did you think of the Laphroaig QC ?

Regards,
SixCats!

libertycaps
06-10-2010, 07:15 PM
The LQC is bottled at 48% ABV, has a lighter peat profile (similiar to Caol Ila me thinks) than the 10, more oaky tannins due to the way it's stored (QC's) and pairs nicely with other things. It's prolly my "goto" bottle if i can't find the Cask Strength Laphroaig. The LQC has as much going for it as the 18 w/o the 18 sticker shock!

I do enjoy Irish, btw. If you haven't had the Knappogue Castle 1995 you really owe it to yourself to try if you love Irish Whiskey. It's not too dear and the KC1995's profile is quite reminiscent of lovely, lovely Jameson 18. 'Nuff said. :yes:

Very pleased to find whisk(e)y geeks here along with audio geeks. Music and spirits makes a lovely marriage.

SixCats!
06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi Caps,

I must say, you have a way with (Whisky) words! Nice write up on Laphroaig!
Makes me want to go right out and buy myself a bottle. I will keep an eye open for KC 1995. I just tried my first dram of Jameson 12 tonight (along with tunes by Miles & Monk). Damn good Whiskey!

Regards,
SixCats!

libertycaps
06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Of that impressive list on the last page i've had bottles of
(Scotch & Irish only):

Balvenie
Talisker
Old Pultney
Highland Park
Ardbeg
Bowmore
Cragganmore
Oban
Glenfarclas
Bunnahabhain
Springbank
Caol Ila
Ardmore
Lagavulin
Dalmore
Jura
Dalwhinnie
Laphroaig
Glenmorangie
Auchentoshan

Jameson
Bushmill
Tyrconnel
Tullamore

And a few others. But i'll have to add 'em later on as memory fails me.
Ask away. :)

libertycaps
06-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Couple more...

Single Malt:
Aberlour a'bunadh
Aberlour 12
Ardbeg10
Ardbeg Uigeadail
The Arran
The Balvenie12
Clynelish
Dewars 12/18
Glenfarclas12/105
The Glenlivet Nadurra
Glenkinchie
Johnnie Walker Green
Edradour
The Dalmore
The Macallan10/12/Cask
Tomatin

Irish:
Conemarra
Knappogue Castle 1995

SixCats!
06-11-2010, 06:04 AM
Hi Caps,

Sweeeet! Nice collection you have/had. I have done quite a bit of research recently on the Web since getting into this hobby. I've read a lot of reviews, visited all sorts of Blogs/Whiskey-Whisky review sites as well as having joined a couple of Whiskey hobbyist sites. I keep track of the prices of Whiskies using The State of New Hampshire State Liquor web site. NH has an awesome web site. I now find myself driving (too often) to NH (from Maine) as prices are MUCH less expensive in NH. An example would be JAMESON 12 which is FIFTEEN dollar less expensive a bottle than Maine's price! Outrageous!
There is no State tax in NH. In general, NH prices run $3.00 to $5.00 less expensive on most items. Regarding your list, there are several Scotch that I am interested in trying, such as : Lagavulin 16, Talisker 18, Ardbeg Uigedail
(or Coryvreckan) Highland Park 18, Laphroaig (?) and Aberlour A'Bundha for openers. Of course these are not INexpensive Scotch so, I must choose very carefully. I'm thinking Lagavulin 16 first. So Caps, which ones would/do you "repeat" buy ?

Regards,
SixCats!

libertycaps
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I typed out a lengthy reply only to lose it because the batteries in my cordless keyboard died. Suffice to say, work up a little bit/do some exploration pre-Lagavulin. You don't want to ruin yourself to quickly, now do you? Really wish they'd bottle the Cask Strength again. :yes:

SixCats!
06-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Caps,

Yea, good point! I need to walk before I run. I'll have to keep an eye open for what's on sale that might be a "best bet". Today, I drove to NH and purchased TWO (on sale) 750ml bottle of "The Irishman Original Clan" Irish Whiskey. Lovely sipping Whiskey! I should really buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 (on sale) this month in Maine. Oooh, if anyone here is in RI, there is a Liquor store in Rumford, RI (Town Wine & Spirits) that has Laphroaig 10 on sale for $39.99 which is a excellent price!

Regards,
SixCats!

dew042
06-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Try "Black Bush" by Bushmill's, an excellent Irish blended whiskey. 'Tis a thing of beauty.

Thanks for the tip. Indeed its a fine whisky.

dew.

SixCats!
06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi Dew,

Excellent, I am very glad to hear you are enjoying BLACK BUSH. BB has quickly become one of my very favorites Irish drams. Oooh, make sure you try JAMESON 12 as well as "THE IRISHMAN ORIGINAL CLAN" (if you can find it) and of course REDBREAST. A very good (lower priced) Irish Whiskey is JOHN POWERS & SON aka POWERS. I even enjoyed the entry level (low cost) BUSHMILLS ORIGINAL (White label). Heck, I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of these fine Irish Whiskies. Should I ever come into some extra (yea, right) money, I've got my eye on some SPECIAL Irish Whiskey (NOT available in the U.S.) which can be bought on line in Ireland from "The Celtic Whiskey Shop". If I had an extra five hundred bucks to spend...REDBREAST "15", WRITERS TEARS, GREEN SPOT, LOCKE'S 8, TYRCONNELL 17, GREENORE 8 for openers.

Regards,
SixCats!

RT Fan
06-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Fan

Thanks for the tip. Indeed its a fine whisky.

dew.

Glad I could be of service Mr. Dew. :thmbsp:

SixCats!
06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Hello RT,

Oooh, THANK YOU Sir for the recommendation of BLACK BUSH. I have grown VERY fond of BLACK BUSH rather quickly! Due to BB price and wonderful taste (NH $31.00 sale price) it may surpass REDBREAST as my most purchased Irish Whiskey. I plan to visit NH again very soon and buy at least one (if not two) bottles of BB before it goes up in price. I have also been enjoying JAMESON 12 of late as well. Since J12 cost $15.00 LESS per bottle in NH, I've been putting aside some extra J12 as well. Both BLACK BUSH & JAMESON 12 are some wonderful Irish Whiskey. Oooh RT, I'm open to some more recommendations!

Regards,
SixCats!

KentTeffeteller
06-16-2010, 10:04 PM
I love Black Bush and Jameson for my wee drams. I also love the Glenlivet on occasion. Johnnie Walker is also good tipple. For best soundtrack, play some of the Dubliners and the Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem for added effect and party away transported to yer favorite Pub.

cdfac
11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
since this thread gave me the inspiration to try Redbreast at some point, i thought i'd mention that i just bought a bottle of it to celebrate the imminent birth of our first child. i hope it doesn't jinx anything (and i'm not opening it yet), but i was at the liquor store and they only had one bottle left. this was the first time they'd actually had it when i was looking for it.

the only whiskey i particularly like is the Irish variety, and while i find standard Jameson to be tasty, i had to struggle through the first bottle of Bushmills i bought...i know Redbreast is from the makers of Jameson -- how will it compare?

captron
01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Redbreast is a very good Irish Whiskey and I would recommend trying Powers Gold as it has several layers of taste and is about half the cost of Redbreast. My personal favorite is Middleton's. Cost about $140 the state liquor store here in Billings--but oh so good! I find all the Bushmills have a little stronger taste of alcohol but the Redbreast and Powers Gold have layered flavors. Only add a little bit of water to "open" the flavors. Good sippin

whoaru99
01-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Just picked up a bottle of the Bushmills 16yr single malt. Pretty good hooch, IMO. I like the Irish better because it doesn't have the peat, although I'd never insult the host by rejecting a nice Scotch. ;) Matter of fact, just had a bit of The Macallan 12, but going for another Bushmills 16 in a moment.

hrballenger
01-29-2011, 09:14 PM
that's me, too. i've tried to like Scotch on multiple occasions, sampling some $50-$75/bottle stuff, but i always come back to Jameson as an inexpensive sipping liquor. my only other experience with Irish Whiskey is Black Bush, but i wasn't exactly in a state to properly appreciate it, and i look forward to trying better Irish stuff down the road (i'm 1/4 Irish after all). Glenlivet isn't too bad as a relatively inexpensive Scotch, though, much preferred by me over Dewar's.

Jameson Gold Reserve is, to my decidedly unpolished palate, pretty decent.

trhee
02-04-2011, 01:10 PM
My usual go to's are:

Scotch: Oban 14
Irish: Black Bush
Bourbon: Booker's

SixCats!
02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi trhee,

I tried OBAN 14 this Summer while dinning on fresh Oyster in Rockport, Maine.
I LOVED it! That being said, I am now more of an IRISH WHISKEY Man.
I too LOVE "Black Bush", The Irishman, Jameson 12, Powers and of course REDBREAST! I'm still trying to develop a taste for Bourbon.

SixCats!

SixCats!
07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

It's hard to believe that TWO years have past since I developed a taste for Whiskey and Whisky and started this thread. As of this writing, I am more of an "Irish Whiskey" person than a Scotch Whisky drinker. In my case, I believe this is due in part to the fact that Irish Whiskey is a better value (i.e. less expensive). My MOST often purchased (and overall favorite) "Irish Whiskey" is BUSHMILLS BLACK BUSH. Excellent Irish Whiskey at a fair price. I did try OBAN 14 Scotch two Summers ago and I LOVED it! However, I can buy THREE bottles of POWERS for the price of ONE bottle of OBAN 14. On the budget side, THE best bargain Irish Whiskey in my book continues to be POWERS GOLD LABEL. At twenty dollars a bottle, POWERS is a truly wonderful tasting Whiskey. It's no wonder POWERS is THE best selling Irish Whiskey in Ireland. I recently tried KNAPPOGUE CASTLE 12 year old and I found it wonderful. Other (cost effective) favorites are "The Irishman" and.....when on sale JAMESON 12. I've also enjoyed KELLAN & KILBEGGAN. I plan to buy CONNEMARA and TRYCONNELL in the future. Truth be known, so far, I don't think I've had one bad bottle of Irish Whiskey. Sure, some are betters than others but heck, I've enjoyed each and every one of them. I still have one bottle of REDBREAST hidden away. Someday, I'll open that REDBREAST.

Regards,
SixCats!

JosephH
07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I highly recommend Clontarf Irish Whiskey. They offer a blend, a single malt and their premier black label "1017" which is a blend as well. I have liked all 3 of the varieties. They have cool offering, the Clontarf Trinity, which looks like a normal 750ml bottle, but actually is 3 small 225ml bottles, one of each which stack on top of each other to create the shape of a regular bottle. It gives you a chance to try all three and is a bit of a conversation starter. Just search "Clontarf Trinity"

SixCats!
07-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Hi Joseph,

Ahhhhh, thank you for that recommendation! I have heard of Clontarf Irish Whiskey and I will be sure to give it a try. That triple bottle idea sounds neat! I'm going to keep my eye open for the trinity. Oooh, I don't suppose you have tried POWERS 12 year old ? I'm hearing EXCELLENT feed back on POWERS 12.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom

SixCats!
08-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi Joseph,

I was in NH today so, I picked up (at a lower cost and no tax) a bottle of CLONTARF 1014 (Black Label) on sale for only seventeen dollars! I must say, this Whiskey is a true bargain! Very tasty indeed! The finish is a bit short but, the taste is lovely. I also picked up a one LITER bottle of BUSHMILLS BLACK BUSH (thirty six dollars). I am now searching for POWERS 12 year old. Thanks again for the suggestion on the Clontarf 1014.

Regards,

Tom aka SixCats!

bogle111
08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi Joseph,

I also picked up a one LITER bottle of BUSHMILLS BLACK BUSH (thirty six dollars).

Regards,

Tom aka SixCats!

It costs a lot more than that here, but we know we are taxed to the hilt on good alcohol. Visited BUSHMILLS in about 1980 and the fumes from the vats when the lid was lifted were enough to make you feel tipsy. Black Bush is still my preferred though.

Visited Bladnock Distillery in Galloway, Scotland and got some of their 52% proof before they got taken over again by United. One of the better and more expensive whiskys. They also have a sense of humour.

BLADNOCK CASK OFFER
For those members of Bladnock Discussion Forum who have more money than sense....

The price includes storage at Bladnoch for 8 years by which time you will have quite a few bottles of modestly priced whisky, rather a lot of Duty and VAT to be paid before it can be released from the Duty Free warehouse and more new friends than you ever dreamed of.

JosephH
08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi Joseph,

I was in NH today so, I picked up (at a lower cost and no tax) a bottle of CLONTARF 1014 (Black Label) on sale for only seventeen dollars! I must say, this Whiskey is a true bargain! Very tasty indeed! The finish is a bit short but, the taste is lovely. I also picked up a one LITER bottle of BUSHMILLS BLACK BUSH (thirty six dollars). I am now searching for POWERS 12 year old. Thanks again for the suggestion on the Clontarf 1014.

Regards,

Tom aka SixCats!

Hey Tom
That is a bargoon! I am glad you enjoyed it. It is definitely a lighter profile, which tends to be common with the Irish (and Canadian) whiskeys. Have you ever tried Forty Creek Whisky? It is finished in sherry casks, a very rich and satisfying Canadian blend.

SixCats!
08-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Hi Joseph,

Ummmm.....no, I haven't yet tried Forty Creeks. I'll keep an eye open for that Spirit. I was thinking I need to buy another bottle of the official Whiskey of the Kentucky Derby, WOODFORD RESERVE Select. Upon my first taste of this type (Bourbon) Whiskey, I was rather taken back. However, the more I tasted Bourbon Whiskey, the more I began to REALLY enjoy! You might want to check it out Joseph, good stuff and not too expensive. Made in the State of Kentucky.

Regards,
SixCats!