View Full Version : Quadraflex Reference 240R

Clinton
04-21-2010, 12:37 AM
I have a Quadraflex Reference 240R. I've had it for a good long time, and it's been a workhorse. I haven't really given its origins or specs or capabilities much thought, but tonight I got curious.

From searching, it seems that Quadraflex was a house brand of Pacific Stereo, and that it's not bad stuff. I know I like mine, it sounds rather nice, drives my Sansui SP2500s well, and has generally been a workhorse for me since I've owned it.

It certainly is a pretty unit. Black face, black knobs, the typefaces of the logos and labelling don't date it.

I've got a few issues with dirty pots and switches. When I get the gumption, I'm going to haul out of its home, deoxit the crap out of the front panel switches, and do some measuring hither and thither (DC offset and the like) to see how healthy the old guy is.

I'd like to find out more about it -- power numbers, position in quadraflex lineup, service manuals, owners manual, etc. If anyone has more info on it than I do, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance!

-C

PacificStereo
04-21-2010, 12:05 PM
That was our product, made by us. The Quadraflex (and its Reference offshoot) stuff was very good, and could compete head to head with anyone's stuff. Many times, our product was significantly better than its competitors.

The 240 was the step-up from the entry-level piece (180R), and produced 24 watts per channel at 8 ohms, both channels driven. It was sold from 1978 to 1982, and retailed for $270.

There are no service manuals, only a schematic. And promotional literature is rarer than hen's teeth!

A great little product, though, and very worthy of TLC.

Clinton
04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Wow, only 24wpc, eh? It sure as heck drives my Sansuis to irresponsible decibel levels, and they're rated at 80w. I can't get to the 12:00 position on the volume knob without risking significant damage to the structure of my home :lmao:

I enjoy my little receiver, but information on it has been elusive. Being a small name brand from thirty years ago makes information on the internet hard to find

Thank you!

-C

jdurbin1
04-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Depending on how you classify it, the entry-level was the 085R which is a compact FM receiver with a tad under 10WPC and both 115VAC and 12VDC power connections built-in. If you consider that one as a one-off utility model and not part of the full-width receiver family, the 180R is the entry model as stated.

Complete black-faced receiver lineup, from bottom to top:

085R
180R
240R
300R
450R
650 FET R

The first two digits of the model # are typically the 8 ohm RMS power rating. There are no dogs in that list, they're all very worthy pieces and can be had for a pittance most of the time.

John

PacificStereo
04-21-2010, 09:22 PM
The 085R was designed to compete with the Advent FM radio and wasn't considered to be a receiver in the classic sense- the 180R was really the entry-level piece.

statman122
04-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I wonder which Quadraflex speakers I owned? My first pair of speakers, bookshelf, bought around 1973. they were very nice! anyone have any ideas which they might have been?

PacificStereo
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
There were more than 30 different Quadraflex speaker models.

Clinton
04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
is there any sort of online reference to quadraflex products? (ie, pictures, scans of manuals, specs, etc.)

Quadraflex
04-22-2010, 08:45 PM
The first post in the Concept receivers thread in this forum has a link to an online reference database of Pacific Stereo's Concept brand.

Included is a PDF of the owner's manual of the top of the line 650FET-R.

It's pretty much the same manual as my 300R except for descriptions of the few extra knobs/indicators.

Also there is a link to an interview with Richard Schram who either designed or supervised the design of all these units.

srinath
01-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Said in the same vein as the "redneck who shot a crow while camping story"

Pacificstereo, last week I picked up one of your birds the very nice reference 180r.
Oh well the impression ends here, cos he was complaining about the "wash biol surv" leg tag of the crow.

Very cool my friend, you have good taste. Cute receiver and great sound. Is it cap coupled output ?

Thanks.
Srinath.

glen65
01-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Said in the same vein as the "redneck who shot a crow while camping story"

Pacificstereo, last week I picked up one of your birds the very nice reference 180r.
Oh well the impression ends here, cos he was complaining about the "wash biol surv" leg tag of the crow.

Very cool my friend, you have good taste. Cute receiver and great sound. Is it cap coupled output ?

Thanks.
Srinath.

Pacificstereo probably wont see your post. He hasn't posted in over a year.