View Full Version : Yamaha CT-600

Raynald
04-23-2010, 12:40 AM
I ran across this locally and picked it up it to match up with my CA-800 if I ever get it up and running.

The 600 is a much better tuner than the 610 which replaced it. The 3 gang 610 is well known as one of the best examples on an empty box in tunerland, though it is actually a pleasant sounding unit. The 600 is something else entirely. It is a 4 gang unit covered in real wood veneer and it shares the CT-800 chassis, transformer and tuning head. The main differences:

No variable muting, just On/Off

Simpler power supply

No seperate AM board (see hole in photos) so the AM and FM sections are in the same real estate completely devoted to FM on the 800 main board.

This is a very good sounding tuner. It does not have the extended, delicate highs of the CT-1010 or Luxman T-110 but it has better bass than the 1010 and magic, liquid mids. Lovely.

Tuning is pretty much spot on the frequency, the best of any vintage analog tuner I have ever had. Sensitivity is pretty good, not a champ but pulls in what I need it to. Apart from the muting letting through some inter station noise, all the functions work as they should.

Cosmetically this one is not perfect, but nice. In fact several of the "scratches" on the front washed off. That is always a nice surprise. The three red indicator lights work but the two meter lights and the tuning indicator light are out. That is where I need some help. I know where to source bulbs, but I am not sure how to go about getting the out without damaging anything. I have provided a few shots of the inside showing the light mounts. Any help would be much appreciated.

Raynald
04-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Here are a few more shots

goat67
04-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Where are you getting the bulbs? Are they 14 volt?

Bstable
04-23-2010, 07:50 AM
I have a Ct-400. I was amazed at how empty this unit looked inside. It seems to be very well built, but there is not much in the way of electronics inside. It is beautiful on the outside, and looks very similar to the CT-600.

merrylander
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Lamps in that series were usually 12V 60mA and apart from the dial pointer were friction fit. The dial pointer has two small Philips head screws that need the correct size screwdriver. They are in very tight and it is easy to strip the heads with the wrong screwdriver. That is the same tuning head used in the CR-600 and is usually a quite sensitive unit if properly aligned.

Raynald
04-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks Rob. By friction fit, does that mean they should just pull out? If so do I pull the wire out of the black rubber cylinder it goes into, or am I pulling the black piece off the panel?

Once I have them out I am correct to assume I will have to snip the wires to get them off and then attach the new ones?

Goat67, if I don't find them locally I was planning on going back to where I got my CR-2040 lamps, an AK member:

http://dgwojo.com/index.php?p=1_2_Products

Listening to the CT-600 now on CBC Radio 2 playing classical. Very, very nice.

Funny how everything in the 00 series was smaller compared to the 10 series. Besides the overall dimensions, every knob and control except for the toggles on the CT-600 seems like a scaled down version of the equivalent on my CT-1010. Of course it would be more accurate to say they were scaled up for the 1010.

merrylander
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
AFAIK the lamps used in that series had a white plastic casing around the base and it was a friction fit insidet the black boot.

Raynald
04-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks, next time I open it up I will try and pull them up. The illumination is not really needed, but that unique light through cut outs is really cool. No other tuner I have is like that.

Brian
04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Far better interior looking than the CT610II that looks like they bought some cheap am-fm portable radios and simply transplanted them. The 610II is not a bad sounding tuner but after pulling the top I just can not warm up to it. Yes, I am shallow as to women also.

adicio
07-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi
I have the Yamaha CT-610 ii tuner. Can anybody provide some help as to how to replace the light on the dial pointer. I'm in Montreal.
Thanks
Anthony