View Full Version : XAM Speakers

4herbert
01-14-2005, 08:25 AM
A buddy I work with has some XAM 5e speakers anybody got any info on these? Are they good bad ? :scratch2:

bolly
01-14-2005, 08:45 AM
no XAM manufacturer listed in Orion. :no:

botrytis
01-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Not sure if it is the same company.

http://www.dayton-wright.com/xam-4-Speakers.html

Here are the XAM-4's - Why don't you email them and see what comes out. The 4's sound intereseting!!

Why don't you get a picture and post it.

Dave

Toasted Almond
01-14-2005, 09:01 AM
XAM was the house brand at the old E.J. Korvettes department stores. I had a pair of XAM 2E's or A's here a couple of weeks ago. They were trashed, I took them apart and found nothing real remarkable. Trashed for good now.

bobinaz
01-14-2005, 08:38 PM
I had a pair of XAM 2e or 3e....can't remember model number. They were about 10 in x 10 in and maybe 4 inches deep. The wood was like teak with a beige grill. They had a single driver. They were OK for my bench-test system, but not real good sounding. I now use a pair of RS Minimus 11's that I fixed up/sanded and repainted.

Nat
01-18-2005, 12:39 PM
XAM was E.J. Korvette's house brand as the previous poster noted. I found a trashed pair at the dump, and while it did not look like they would be very good, I have to say their logo is (was) the cutest I have ever seen. But I doubt that is reason enough to buy a pair, unless you like the sound -- I think its a mistake to dismiss house brands without even a listen. I found a pair of HLX (Harry Leiser Superstore) 8" threeways (almost certainly made by Clarke based on construction) which were very pleasent to listen to, enough so that I regret selling them (for $5 to a student) more than I regret most better known speakers I've sold off.

Jack Keck
01-23-2005, 11:22 AM
My first speakers were a pair of XAM 10" three-ways. Great bass response. My mother got me my first system when I graduated college in 1974. I kept them until the foam woofer surrounds went. E. J. Korvette's hada dedicated audio room. My mom worked in their jewelry dept. and ater in their record dept.. The she got a job with the state. Korvertte's closed about four months later.

dmax99
01-23-2005, 03:24 PM
A buddy of mine bought an XAM reciever, I guess the only reason I remember it is because it had push button presets for the radio stations. David

NewWilOrder
10-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I just picked up a pair of Xam 5E's on E-bay. They're not half-bad for a pair of cheap, little speakers. Not stellar, either, but they do have a nice low frequency response.

I'm listening to them today for the first time as I'm writing this. Powered by a crappy Sony shelf system, they definitely put the Sony speakers that it came with to shame. Best $25.00 I ever spent! (Especially considering the $100.00 price tag of the Sony shelf "system"!)

So far, they seem to excel at acoustic rock recordings, as opposed to classical/symphonic stuff. Just my two cents...

WhiskeyRebel
12-05-2005, 01:12 PM
There is - maybe was by now - a pair of XAM bookshelves ot the SA store that I spotted. Those are the "mystery speakers" I posted about at the old server. IIRC they want $15 for the pair which cosmetically are in pretty good shape. Worth buying to listen to if they are still in working order, or only as "donor" cabinets? Worth a return trip to see if they are still for sale?