View Full Version : Kenwood KR-9600 woodcase How common or rare

cmattson
05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Received my Kenwood KR-9600 receiver last week, and the woodcase was damaged beyond repair. Busted up in several pieces. How common were these cases, and are there any other compatible cases from other Kenwood gear that matches? Is there a model number for this case? Out of all the years looking on Ebay, i have only seen a handful of these, and always on the 9600, never alone. Thanks

ryuuoh
05-16-2010, 09:39 PM
If there's enough left of the case, measure it and make your own~

cmattson
05-16-2010, 09:55 PM
If there's enough left of the case, measure it and make your own~

This might be an alternative. I would have to have someone else fabricate one for me. There is enough of it left, and with someone with an eye for this type of skill, probably can be done.

ryuuoh
05-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Man, that is a shame! Looks like it was in good condition, too.

cmattson
05-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Man, that is a shame! Looks like it was in good condition, too.

Yes, it was. Fortunately, the receiver survived.

ryuuoh
05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Make sure the transformer didn't shift or bend the chassis. Had that happen with my L-430.
Good luck! Those big Kenwoods are nice.

cmattson
05-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Make sure the transformer didn't shift or bend the chassis. Had that happen with my L-430.
Good luck! Those big Kenwoods are nice.

The receiver was packed really well, BUT, he left the case ON the receiver. The weight of the receiver was enough to break the 2 screws holding the case on, and once they went, all it took was a good drop to do what it did. This was double boxed with 5-6 inches of styrofoam encasing the receiver. Just goes to show how even the best packing still can not withstand a sudden jolt or drop. The drop was so severe, that the 2 screw heads were sheered completely off. I havent yet hooked it up, but just a power on, and it lights up, and clicks on in about 5 seconds. Will do a full test tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

ryuuoh
05-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Ah. Shipping the case separately is probably the answer.
I guess the real problem is how the shipping companies treat their customers with such disdain.

quneur
05-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Get yourself some wood glue and few wood clamps. The case looks salvageable. The side with busted grill you may have to make yourself. Doesn't look that hard if you have access to a chop saw. I would cut out the portion with grill, fabricate using the other side as a template then glue or fabricate the entire side which looks to be easier.

day67
05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Outrageous!! Happened to me with a Pioneer SX 950, shipper drop kicked the thing 2 miles before it landed on my doorstep. Mine was split at the joints cleanly so I could glue. Get rid of as much of the old glue as possible before reglueing if you're going that route.

SoCal Sam
05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
The receiver was packed really well, BUT, he left the case ON the receiver. The weight of the receiver was enough to break the 2 screws holding the case on, and once they went, all it took was a good drop to do what it did. This was double boxed with 5-6 inches of styrofoam encasing the receiver. Just goes to show how even the best packing still can not withstand a sudden jolt or drop. The drop was so severe, that the 2 screw heads were sheered completely off. I havent yet hooked it up, but just a power on, and it lights up, and clicks on in about 5 seconds. Will do a full test tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Not packed well enough. A receiver like that needs a couple of layers of bubble wrap and then soft styrofoam sheets. Hard styrofoam does nothing to dampen the inevitable shocks that occur during shipping.

whsh93a
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
That case is totally repairable. The normal damage to those are the wood stips on the top that get shattered. In your case, those look mostly intact. Any good carpenter or home craft type person should be able to get it back together. It actually looks like a pretty good case.

It's such a shame that people do not realize how fragile wood like that is when subjected to the horrors of shipping. The unit should be packed so that 1- it can't shift and 2- the wood case is not taking ANY load. The case should ideally be packed separately.

DH

This might be an alternative. I would have to have someone else fabricate one for me. There is enough of it left, and with someone with an eye for this type of skill, probably can be done.

Renzor213
05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Don't know about the one you're looking for, but recently sold some Dynaco walnut cases for about $100 buck's each, or more than the normally housed electronic's is going for. I'd try repairing what you've got first.

kcollins4
05-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Hope insurance covered that! Maybe have a brand new one made from insurance claim?

cmattson
05-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Hope insurance covered that! Maybe have a brand new one made from insurance claim?

Still waiting for the claims dept to make a decision on it. No way was I going to have them come back and take the receiver as well. The cabinet is still in my possession. The driver came back the next day after delivery, and after he saw the damage, his eyes just glazed over, and he told me he would have their claims adjuster give me a call. He didnt want to deal with packing the whole thing up again, and I wouldnt have him take it any way. The receiver survived it, so better here then taking my chances with them ruining another piece of gear. The seller has started the claims process. Just biding my time.

stereofisher
05-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Looks like it could be fixed. Find a helper with some basic woodworking skills. Due to the age of the Kenwood it would be a longshot to find a cabinet. Its sad to see damage on vintage receivers:tears:Hope the receiver is OK:thmbsp: Good luck.

w1jim
05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Kenwood calls the case a CB-15. I've been searching for months.

cmattson
05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Kenwood calls the case a CB-15. I've been searching for months.

PM sent

Damage
05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm always curious why I mine has a case and no handles but it seems most of the ones with cases have handles.

EchoWars
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
The standard config was handles, and no wood case. If you ordered the model from a dealer with the wood case, the handles were left off.

Personally, I think it looks pretty good with both.

SDA SRS 1.2
05-18-2010, 09:03 AM
The standard config was handles, and no wood case. If you ordered the model from a dealer with the wood case, the handles were left off.

Personally, I think it looks pretty good with both.

Absolutely! :thmbsp: The wood case/handles reminds me of Clark Kent/Superman. Wood case for the refined "Clark Kent" approach and those big shiny handles for the Superman "I mean BUSINESS!" statement. When I saw my first 9600 back in 1978 with those big handles, I knew it was the one for me. It remains a valued member of the family after 30 years!

Good luck on the restoration - this is one receiver that's well worth it!