View Full Version : ADC ZLM Cartridge Info?

Cactus Bob
05-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I picked up a Technics SL-Q2 TT with a ADC ZLM Cartridge for 10 buck. The cantilever is gone and the cartridge looks to be in good shape. Can anyone tell me about this cartridge? Is it worth getting a new stylus? If so, what are your recommedations? Thanks Bob

ZebraBlvd
05-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Bob I can't speak of the ZLM series, but I know that the XLM series is a great cartridge. One of which will not be leaving here anytime soon. While I believe that the OEM ZLM stylus's are hard to come by, you can put a XLM stylus in that body.

As they say about anything audio, YMMV. But for me the ADC XLM is one of the more revealing and detailed carts I've owned. It has been matched up with the likes of the Stanton 881EE, Shure M97xE (which I really like) and numerous Ortofon's. And for me it always come out to be the winner. This is where the YMMV comes in.

For the cost of a new stylus I personally can't see where you could go wrong.

BrocLuno
05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
ZLM is even better. I would not hesitate to stylus that body. In a heart beat :)

ChairSpud
05-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Bob the ZLM was a top of the line ADC cartridge and capable of sounding very good. I'd definitely get a stylus for it and if you've never heard the ADC sound you're in for a real treat! I'd recommend genuine ADC stylus only especially when they're still available at reasonable prices. XLM MkII stylus will fit your ZLM and work great and are probably the cheapest of the genuines, moving up the line to the MkIII and ZLM will get you slightly better tracking and high frequency detail but at the expense of a bit of warmth.

Cactus Bob
05-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Bob the ZLM was a top of the line ADC cartridge and capable of sounding very good. I'd definitely get a stylus for it and if you've never heard the ADC sound you're in for a real treat! I'd recommend genuine ADC stylus only especially when they're still available at reasonable prices. XLM MkII stylus will fit and work great and are probably the cheapest of the genuines, moving up the line to the MkIII and ZLM will get you slightly better tracking and high frequency detail but at the expense of a bit of warmth.

Where would I be able be able to get a ADC stylus on epay or?

Stanton681EEES
05-26-2010, 08:49 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ADC-RSZ-Stylus-Needle-ZLM-ZLM-improved-NOS-/400114420440?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d28ad8ad8

Here ya go

Cactus Bob
05-26-2010, 08:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ADC-RSZ-Stylus-Needle-ZLM-ZLM-improved-NOS-/400114420440?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d28ad8ad8

Here ya go

Thanks for the link. Do the ZLM's all have black bodies?

BrocLuno
05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Another source: http://www.turntableneedles.com/search.asp?keyword=adc+zlm&search=GO and somewhat cheaper. Small parts are free shipping :)

Cactus Bob
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Another source: http://www.turntableneedles.com/search.asp?keyword=adc+zlm&search=GO and somewhat cheaper. Small parts are free shipping :)

Thank you . . . that's perfect!!! :thmbsp:

Cactus Bob
05-26-2010, 11:05 AM
What is "QUAD CHANNEL"? Needle 108-DEQ

Bstable
05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I just bought a TT that had an ADC XLM Improved Mk II on it. The needle was shot. Ebay had replacements from $30-$120. I wonder what the difference is?

I have the 1980 Stereo Review test reports for the ZLM deluxe, but damn if I know how to scan them to post here. Here ya go Cactus

ZLM:

output 1mV at 1cm/sec
Freq Res. 10-20,000 Hz +- 1db
Ch. separation 30 (1 kHz)
Tracking force .5-1.25 g
.0002 x .0015 nude aliptic tapered cantilever stylus assembly
$135 msrp (1980)

Cactus Bob
05-26-2010, 11:51 AM
I just bought a TT that had an ADC XLM Improved Mk II on it. The needle was shot. Ebay had replacements from $30-$120. I wonder what the difference is?

I have the 1980 Stereo Review test reports for the ZLM deluxe, but damn if I know how to scan them to post here. Here ya go Cactus

ZLM:

output 1mV at 1cm/sec
Tracking force .5-1.25 g
$135 msrp (1980)

I found this old review online

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/March%201978/129/829864/#header-logo

BrocLuno
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM
As far as I know, the ZLM was built for Quad Channel (Quadraphonic) reproduction. It had to compete with Shibata's from AT, Ortofon and others. It did compete and was highly praised.

My guess is it's a nude mounted hyper-elliptical diamond. They are not giving away specs, so we can only guess :( From the William Thaker site - Aliptic (Semi-Shibata). In any case, it's a fine stylus and you are lucky to have that body :)

Cactus Bob
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
As far as I know, the ZLM was built for Quad Channel (Quadraphonic) reproduction. It had to compete with Shibata's from AT, Ortofon and others. It did compete and was highly praised.

My guess is it's a nude mounted hyper-elliptical diamond. They are not giving away specs, so we can only guess :( From the William Thaker site - Aliptic (Semi-Shibata). In any case, it's a fine stylus and you are lucky to have that body :)

Thanks for thr info . . . So the stylus in the link below would be compatible?
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-108-DEQ_p_845.html

Stanton681EEES
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM

ZLM:

output 1mV at 1cm/sec
Tracking force .5-1.25 g
$135 msrp (1980)

I wish you could post that Stereo review as I'd love to see it and I bet a few other ADC guys would as well.

Bstable
05-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I wish you could post that Stereo review as I'd love to see it and I bet a few other ADC guys would as well.

Ok I am going to try the scan. I am not very good with computers, so who knows what will happen. I need to learn this anyway.

My first try will be the ZLM test results.

EDIT: Looks like I figured it out. Probably not very good for my book though.

secretguy
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Nice read. I'm a huge fan of ADCs of that ear.

ChairSpud
05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Bob, looks like they guys have already provided a number of sources, and yes as far as I know all the ZLM's had black bodies.

Bstable, there are many differences among the stylus and even the same part numbers can have differences depending on when and where they we made. Several good discussions on the topic here and over at VinylEngine. Also thanks a bunch for the scans.

Secretguy, I'm a huge ADC fan too, probably my most listened to cartridges.

Stanton681EEES
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Bob, looks like they guys have already provided a number of sources, and yes as far as I know all the ZLM's had black bodies.

Bstable, there are many differences among the stylus and even the same part numbers can have differences depending on when and where they we made. Several good discussions on the topic here and over at VinylEngine. Also thanks a bunch for the scans.

Secretguy, I'm a huge ADC fan too, probably my most listened to cartridges.

So instead of chairspd which still cracks me up why not change your name to ADC spud or ADC chair or ADC Chairspud or maybe ADC XLMII :D

Stanton681EEES
05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok I am going to try the scan. I am not very good with computers, so who knows what will happen. I need to learn this anyway.

My first try will be the ZLM test results.

EDIT: Looks like I figured it out. Probably not very good for my book though.

Thanks, what mag is that from looks familiar like it's a buyers guide from 81

RDecartridge
05-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the link. Do the ZLM's all have black bodies?
Here's mine. It is indeed a sweet sounding cartidge.
You will be impressed.
http://s5.tinypic.com/bhhssg.jpg

Cactus Bob
05-26-2010, 09:00 PM
You will be impressed.

Looks awesome . . . . I'm excited! One thing I'm confused about is about this QUAD CHANNEL thing. Is this the correct cartridge for a 2 channel set-up?

BrocLuno
05-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Yes, don't worry. What it means is if you have Quadraphonic records, it can retrieve the info. It'll play stereo great :)

ChairSpud
05-26-2010, 09:29 PM
So instead of chairspd which still cracks me up why not change your name to ADC spud or ADC chair or ADC Chairspud or maybe ADC XLMII :D

Actually I think you'd get an argument from the wife that chairspud fits perfectly. :D

ChairSpud
05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
You will be impressed.

Beautiful TT, is that a Pioneer/Phase Linear?

Cactus Bob
05-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the crash course guys . . . I've learned a lot about ADC. Now I just have to figure out which TT will get this cartridge :thmbsp:

secretguy
05-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the crash course guys . . . I've learned a lot about ADC. Now I just have to figure out which TT will get this cartridge :thmbsp:

You probably would want to go with the lowest mass arm...although I currently have an XLM on my Music Hall and it's fine.

Bstable
05-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks, what mag is that from looks familiar like it's a buyers guide from 81

I mistakenly said it was from Stereo Review since I have 2 books from that era......

High Fidelity's Test Reports (330 pages circa 1981, but it covers gear made 3 or more years earlier from what I can tell)

Stereo Reviews Stereo and Buying Guide (242 pages...a few missing from the front/back.....1980)

Amcrebelfan
10-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I know this is an old post but I found out tonight that the cart that a broken adc lma-1 was on is a ZLM improved. It looks from all the posts that this is a great cart. It came off a Technics SL-Q2 that has a broken tonearm. Would this be a good fit with my SL-1600? How about the LMA-1 stylus was that not a good stylus for this cart? The prices for the ZLM stylus are a little out of my budget currently. My other tables are two duals and a garrard I am not thinking these would be a good fit for this. Any info would be great, Thanks.

Stanton681EEES
10-03-2010, 05:02 AM
I know this is an old post but I found out tonight that the cart that a broken adc lma-1 was on is a ZLM improved. It looks from all the posts that this is a great cart. It came off a Technics SL-Q2 that has a broken tonearm. Would this be a good fit with my SL-1600? How about the LMA-1 stylus was that not a good stylus for this cart? The prices for the ZLM stylus are a little out of my budget currently. My other tables are two duals and a garrard I am not thinking these would be a good fit for this. Any info would be great, Thanks.

Here are the two styluses in question:
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-112-DEX_p_861.html

And they are indeed pricey.

Amcrebelfan
10-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Wow looks like I need to start saving my pennies, which should I concentrate on? ZLM?

Rolls-Royce
10-03-2010, 08:03 PM
The 108-DEQ appears to be the correct one for the ZLM Improved. I have a ZLM and a ZLM Improved, both with their original styli. The Improved has the attached pivoting stylus guard, while the ZLM does not (it came with a clip-on stylus guard).

gkimeng
10-03-2010, 08:47 PM
The ADC quad cartridges were the "Super" XLM and ZLM, which were fitted with Shibata stylii. The standard XLM and ZLM were ellipticals, and the primary differences between them and between the original, II and III models were VTF, compliance and low end FR.

Amcrebelfan
10-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Can I use others other than the zlm and lma-1, like the xlm series?

gkimeng
10-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Can I use others other than the zlm and lma-1, like the xlm series?

The XLM, ZLM, QLM and I think the VLM as well all have interchangable stylii. If you swap between models, the FR will mostly be determined by the cartridge body and the tracking by the stylus.

Stanton681EEES
10-04-2010, 03:30 AM
The ADC quad cartridges were the "Super" XLM and ZLM, which were fitted with Shibata stylii. The standard XLM and ZLM were ellipticals, and the primary differences between them and between the original, II and III models were VTF, compliance and low end FR.

according to what I've read the ZLM had this stylus
DEQ" =Diamond 'ALIPTIC' tip needle

Used in: ZLM cartridge by ADC

Not a shibata................

gkimeng
10-04-2010, 09:38 AM
according to what I've read the ZLM had this stylus
DEQ" =Diamond 'ALIPTIC' tip needle

Used in: ZLM cartridge by ADC

Not a shibata................
Aliptic was ADC's name for the stylus shape of the standard/"improved" ZLM and the Astrion. It was a sort of "modified elliptical" designed to provide some of the supposed advantages of a line contact shape. Most ZLM users eventually replaced worn out stylii with XLM units and never noticed any difference.

The "super" variants were designed for CD4 quad and had different windings for FR to 50k and shibata stylii. Super ZLMs are as rare as hens' teeth because quad was already well on the way out by the time the ZLMs came out, and most of the "super" models you'll see are all XLMs. And if you're not running a CD4 rig, you won't notice much difference if you put an XLM stylus on one of those, either.

ChairSpud
10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Aliptic was ADC's name for the stylus shape of the standard/"improved" ZLM and the Astrion. It was a sort of "modified elliptical" designed to provide some of the supposed advantages of a line contact shape. Most ZLM users eventually replaced worn out stylii with XLM units and never noticed any difference.

The "super" variants were designed for CD4 quad and had different windings for FR to 50k and shibata stylii. Super ZLMs are as rare as hens' teeth because quad was already well on the way out by the time the ZLMs came out, and most of the "super" models you'll see are all XLMs. And if you're not running a CD4 rig, you won't notice much difference if you put an XLM stylus on one of those, either.

Huh, didn't know ADC ever made a Super version of the ZLM. Would you know how the ZLM (nonSuper) stacked up audibly against the Astrion?

gkimeng
10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Huh, didn't know ADC ever made a Super version of the ZLM. Would you know how the ZLM (nonSuper) stacked up audibly against the Astrion?
I never saw a Super ZLM except at a hifi show or two, and I never heard an Astrion, either. I have heard ZLM vs XLM and couldn't identify much of a difference. As far as the super versions, the difference was mainly that they worked with CD4 quad.

argibbo
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi chaps

I have twp ZLMs which were acquired from the estate of a well known reviewer some years ago. The ZLM sounds stunning, producing a huge, wide stereo image and revealing intricate layers of reverb and effects, the location of mono reverb returns etc. At times voices panned fully left or right appear to come from beyond the speakers. Tracking is excellent too. Only the highest modulation levels appear to unseat the tip and then it's difficult to tell whether its record wear, excess cutting levels or the stylus.

However, there are differences between the two samples. Mainly, one has a far higher output than the other, despite swapping styli and bodies around. Both contained Bruel and Kjaer test charts so they'd been analysed but not used extensively. (There were far better cartridges in the collection)

Well worth buying an new (original) stylus for. Not the big punchy sound of some Shures or Nagaokas but delicate and refined.

Cactus Bob
06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I forgot all about this thread from 2010. Nice review argibbo. I still have the cart and now & then ponder getting a new stylus for it. I think you just convinced me. Welcome to AK.

ETI_5000
06-28-2012, 02:57 AM
Like many of the ADC cartridges, there was also an Integra version of the ZLM, which was an integral cartridge and plug in headshell, similar to the “AH” Shure cartridges (e.g. M97HE-AH), or the Ortofon Concorde cartridges (there are probably other versions from different manufacturers, but these were all fairly popular ones), so that you could just plug an Integra ZLM into your plug-in headshell tonearm. For those who aren’t aware, long before the range of Ortofon Concorde DJ cartridges, there were the hi-fi Concordes: Concorde 10, 20 and 30, which corresponded to the LM-10, LM-20 and LM-30, or later the OM-10/20/30. The ADC Integra range was fairly similar, so you could get an Integra XLM or Integra ZLM.

There are good scans of the Gramophone and High Fidelity reviews of the ZLM on vinylengine.com here http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=38748 and here http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4185 .