View Full Version : Dual 1007

moinau
06-06-2010, 05:10 PM
On Saturday I bought at a yard sale a Fleetwood console which included a Fleetwood AM/FM Radio/Tuner and a Dual 1007 TT, also included was a Sansui AU-5900 integrated Amp.

There are some info to be had on the Dual 1007, but not much. I've read what vinyl engine has and most of what Google has to offer as far as info.

I do have a few questions for people in the know on this TT.

The info on vinyl engine shows a 1007 A and the tonearm with a CDS 620 (turnover type) cartridge (33.33 and 45 and on the reverse, the 78 rpm) and a screw on the top of the head-shell

The one that I've I've in the console is a 1007, shows a see-saw type cartridge, no screw on the head-shell, two styli, in a front to back configuration, with a blue letter N and a red letter M associated with a double zero on its side intertwined, on the front of the head-shell . I presume the N represent the 78 rpm and the M, the 16.66, 33.33 and the 45 rpm, or the other way around.
Can anybody shed some light on the letter N and M, also the type of styli, Ceramic, Crystal or whatever, and where to get a new cartridge if that is possible. It plays fine on the letter N but is very scratchy on the letter M.

Something else about this console, after some research it appears this Fleetwood console was produced in the mid 50s but the Dual according to some info, was produced in the mid 60s
Again, anybody with some info on year of productions for both, and the apparent discrepancy.

I've more questions on this tubes Fleetwood console and the included AM/FM tuner/radio, but where on this forum do I post.
Thanks
Photos included...

12ax7
06-06-2010, 06:39 PM
There used to be a nice Dual reference on freenet-homepage.de but it seems to be defunct.

Perhaps these will help:

http://dual-reference.com/tables/1007.htm

http://dual.pytalhost.eu/1007/

http://dual.pytalhost.eu/1007a/

moinau
06-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks Gary...For the info, much appreciated.

The first URL, I was aware of.

The second one, did answer some of my questions, and the third URL, is of a very similar TT, the 1007 A with a slightly different head-shell, the one with the head screw on top.

So far, I've learned that the styli are, Sapphires, also, how to change the cartridge.

I still need to know where to get this type of cartridge, if need be, or if still available on the market.
Thanks

KentTeffeteller
06-06-2010, 10:59 PM
A note: Dual 1007 is late 1950's-very early 1960's vintage. Very few sold in the USA when new. Dual didn't catch on in the US until 1964 and the introduction of the 1009, the first changer capable of high compliance cartridges only usable previously on manual tables. After the 1009 arrived, Dual was a success in the USA and Canada until 1990 or so for music lovers seeking fine automatic tables. The 1007 is very hard to locate spare parts for here due to being uncommon. Rubber parts and the spindles are the weak points with 1000 series Dual tables. :tresbon: United Audio Products was the original US importer and representatives for Dual until their demise in 1980. Since then, they have had spotty US representation! Your Dual 1007 is actually a early Stereo changer in reality. 1960-1962 vintage in fact.

moinau
06-07-2010, 04:46 PM
A note: Dual 1007 is late 1950's-very early 1960's vintage. Very few sold in the USA when new. Dual didn't catch on in the US until 1964 and the introduction of the 1009, the first changer capable of high compliance cartridges only usable previously on manual tables. After the 1009 arrived, Dual was a success in the USA and Canada until 1990 or so for music lovers seeking fine automatic tables. The 1007 is very hard to locate spare parts for here due to being uncommon. Rubber parts and the spindles are the weak points with 1000 series Dual tables. :tresbon: United Audio Products was the original US importer and representatives for Dual until their demise in 1980. Since then, they have had spotty US representation! Your Dual 1007 is actually a early Stereo changer in reality. 1960-1962 vintage in fact.

Thanks Kent
I've this site ( www.dual-reference.com/tables/1007.htm ) showing the Dual 1007 manufactured from 1964 to 1966, although this site as been known to have a few errors
This model came as a 1007 and a 1007 A, the only difference as I could notice was the tonearm head-shell.
Your dates, 1960-1962 are the more accurate one for this model.
Thanks for the info.

bobaloniny
06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/phoncart.htm
though not so sure if any of these would work for what you have, but they may have some manner of crossreference for a ceramic cartridge. there are other outfits obviously..these guys just happened to be the first hit when I googled ceramic cartridges, which I believe is what you have there. Never seen the switchability thing, and do wonder if thats somehow changing the angle of the cart for single play or a stack of records, but thats just a guess..but a good one if thats not whats flipping to the 78 needle. only just so many options avail for the location.

moinau
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks Bob, will investigate that...

AUdubon5425
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd guess that "N" is for normal (78) and "M" is for Microgroove.

In any case, you'll want to take a look at this newspaper ad from 1962:

Fleetwood 4087 Giveaway (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=uJMuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zJ0FAAAAIBAJ&dq=fleetwood%20phonograph&pg=3813%2C353030)

electroking
06-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Fleetwood 4087 Giveaway (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=uJMuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zJ0FAAAAIBAJ&dq=fleetwood%20phonograph&pg=3813%2C353030)

Great link, and it comes from a U. S. member! You may note that
the text refers to the console being equipped with the multiplex
adapter, so this may have been an option. The schematic for
a Fleetwood multiplex adapter is shown in the pacifictv website
(www.pacifictv.ca). For years, Addison in Montreal had dozens
of those Fleetwood stereo adapters, and I remember you could
get one for less than the price of a brand new 12AU7. I bought
one or two, but never managed to hook it up properly to any
of my (non-Fleetwood) FM tuners. Must have sold them at
a hamfest.

AUdubon5425
06-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I've surprised myself at how much info I've found browsing ads in Google's News Archive. The Montreal and Ottawa papers are free access.

Enjoyed browsing the Pacific TV website. We don't have much exposure to Canadian electronics this far south. I remember reading about Fleetwood, Electrohome and Viking in back issues of Consumer Reports. My first stereo was a Dorchester which was made in Canada in the early 80's - I would love to find another one for sentimental reasons.

eclectik
06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
I second that N-normal and M-microgroove. Also commonly used in early philips kit of the same era, when shellac 78 was 'normal'!

I think the stylus is a DN-32 type - dual points on one cantilever, see pic

SteveinAlaska
06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I just found this thread! I just went through with a rebuild/restore on a Dual 1002F and ran across this site. You should be able to do a google translate and it will help you out. As for me, I was going through my first year of a German language course at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and I found myself scoring extra points by working with the instructors by translating as I went through the info that I found!!

http://www.dual-plattenspieler.de/galerie/phonogeraete/plattenwechsler/bis-anfang-60er/1007.html

Yes, the M stands for Microgroove (33-45) and the N for Normal (78). Mine has the same style cartridge.

eclectik
06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
dn32

moinau
06-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks for that piece of history, it's kind of neat that an AK member from LOUISIANA found some info on this Canadian made console, Thanks...

Great link, and it comes from a U. S. member! You may note that
the text refers to the console being equipped with the multiplex
adapter, so this may have been an option. The schematic for
a Fleetwood multiplex adapter is shown in the pacifictv website
(www.pacifictv.ca). For years, Addison in Montreal had dozens
of those Fleetwood stereo adapters, and I remember you could
get one for less than the price of a brand new 12AU7. I bought
one or two, but never managed to hook it up properly to any
of my (non-Fleetwood) FM tuners. Must have sold them at
a hamfest.

Thanks for the info...

I've surprised myself at how much info I've found browsing ads in Google's News Archive. The Montreal and Ottawa papers are free access.

I'll start to access those same sites, Thanks

Enjoyed browsing the Pacific TV website. We don't have much exposure to Canadian electronics this far south. I remember reading about Fleetwood, Electrohome and Viking in back issues of Consumer Reports. My first stereo was a Dorchester which was made in Canada in the early 80's - I would love to find another one for sentimental reasons.

I'll keep an eye for this model for you, you never know, although I've never heard of a Dorchester stereo, I've heard of the Dortchester prison in Montréal:D:D

I just found this thread! I just went through with a rebuild/restore on a Dual 1002F and ran across this site. You should be able to do a google translate and it will help you out. As for me, I was going through my first year of a German language course at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and I found myself scoring extra points by working with the instructors by translating as I went through the info that I found!!

http://www.dual-plattenspieler.de/galerie/phonogeraete/plattenwechsler/bis-anfang-60er/1007.html

Yes, the M stands for Microgroove (33-45) and the N for Normal (78). Mine has the same style cartridge.

Thanks for that site, although my German is somewhat restrain and rusty, I'll manage...

dn32

Thanks