View Full Version : Where does everyone buy their Deoxit?

Anubis
06-12-2010, 05:39 PM
I have a Rat Shack, JK Electronics and Home Depot near me and none of them carry the Deoxit I need.
I have the regular spray can of #5, but I need the bottle of Red and a bottle of Gold. Yes, I'm following the "Deoxit for dummies" post to the letter, because it's great. So I want to do it right. My Pioneer SX-990 has been sitting untouched for 3 weeks and I don't want to start cleaning it and replacing bulbs and such until I have everything I need.

So where do you guys get the bottles of Red and Gold Deoxit? I'll just go where you go.

Sir.Byrd
06-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Guitar Center

hbrocks
06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
http://www.superdealbox.com/Cyber%20Monday/frys%20logo.jpg

mhardy6647
06-12-2010, 06:00 PM
PartsExpress. They have it on sale periodically.
www.partsexpress.com

Anubis
06-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Guitar Center? I never would have thought of that. Do they carry the full line or just the standard Deoxit?
frys is always out of what I need.
I'll go with parts express and pay full price as I don't know when it will be on sale and I don't want my project sitting there untouched for another month or more. (Unless $25 is a sale price for Deoxit Gold)?

Sir.Byrd
06-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I can't remember but I have the standard three cans, Deoxit D5, Gold G5, and Faderlube F5, about $12-15 each in 5oz spray cans.

Sam Cogley
06-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Guitar and amp pots crud up just as much as any Hi-Fi gear. GC is pretty much the only show in town for me, but I'm on their mailing list and re-stock when they send me a 40% off coupon.

cubby01
06-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Everyone doen't buy Deoxit but that's another topic :D.

I get it from a local electronics supply outfit in the city but our suburban RadioShack stores carry a similar product if not actual deoxot (can't recall). Some folks use a contact cleaner from the auto parts store but depending on what you intend to used it on caveat emptor.

Edit: oops saw you were specifically looking for red and gold stuff. I don't. I asked at the electronics supply they told me the vast majority of their techs come in buy X so I went with X, whatever X was.

avionic
06-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Newark
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=500003+1000398&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=caig&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

catrafter
06-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Sweetwater Music, free shipping.
They are probably losing money on this deal, so be a nice guy and buy something else while you are there.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeoxIT/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS/

Tom

Ballylongford
06-13-2010, 01:19 PM
They are probably losing money on this deal, so be a nice guy and buy something else while you are there.

Tom

2nd That. Service is great, packing is great, good people to deal with

Anubis
06-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I was going to get a bottle of the gold and a bottle of the red from Partsexpress, but they nail you to the wall on shipping! So they turn out to be the most expensive. (I just got a mag lamp and speakers from them and found that Amazon gets the products through them, but cuts the shipping almost in half. (Partsexpress = $30 shipping vs Amazon = $19 shipping) I ordered through amazon.

I like that sweetwater place Catrafter, but they don't have the bottles of Deoxit.

I'm following the Deoxit for Dummies instructions to the letter and it specifically calls for a bottle of red and a bottle of gold Deoxit that one can use with q-tips or pipe cleaners to clean and lube RCA jacks and other spots where a spray can is not appropiate to use.

spaceman
06-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I wonder what kinda deal we might get on a 55 gallon drum, direct from Caig? :D We could have one of us bottle it up into say, 1 quart bottles, & ship it out to other AKers. :scratch2:

catrafter
06-13-2010, 03:37 PM
I like that sweetwater place Catrafter, but they don't have the bottles of Deoxit.

I'm following the Deoxit for Dummies instructions to the letter and it specifically calls for a bottle of red and a bottle of gold Deoxit that one can use with q-tips or pipe cleaners to clean and lube RCA jacks and other spots where a spray can is not appropiate to use.

Spray a small amount of DeoxIt in the can cap, dip a q-tip in that and apply it where you want.

Tom

Sam Cogley
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Tom

That's the same price as GC, maybe a bit more expensive. The free shipping is nice, but I like to buy it locally.

Anubis
06-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Spray a small amount of DeoxIt in the can cap, dip a q-tip in that and apply it where you want.

Tom

Oh, I didn't think of that. I thought the stuff in the spray can was a little different in viscosity or something, but then thinking about it I realized it isn't, just the same stuff under pressure.

westend
06-14-2010, 12:55 AM
I wonder what kinda deal we might get on a 55 gallon drum, direct from Caig? :D We could have one of us bottle it up into say, 1 quart bottles, & ship it out to other AKers. :scratch2:Hey, thanks, I'm down for a pint. Let me know when you are ready to ship. :D That ought to be a lifetime supply, lol.

kngot
06-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Another thumbs up for Sweetwater! Great folks to deal with.

Cactus Bob
06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Although I have been buyng my Deoxit locally. Sweetwater is excellent. I purchased a guitar amp from them and their customer service is great. That's one company I would buy from again in a New York second. :thmbsp:

Bstable
06-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Another thumbs up for Sweetwater! Great folks to deal with.

+2 Sweetwater has great customer service. Free shipping, and they even include candy in the package. $14 shipped.

the architect
06-16-2010, 09:55 AM
got mine from CMH electronics. really good prices.

anytune
06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
My local Radio Shack no longer carries DeOxit, but a RS store brand knock-off works quite well, and you get a much larger can for the same money. They also sell their own Faderlube knock-off.

TNRabbit
06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I've always purchased it directly from Caig's website...

TNRabbit
07-15-2010, 06:25 AM
+2 Sweetwater has great customer service. Free shipping, and they even include candy in the package. $14 shipped.

I just purchased DeOxit & DeOxit GOLD from Sweetwater; one of the best buying experiences I've ever had! Their customer service is BEYOND great! :yes:

Thanks for the tip~ :thmbsp:

12ax7
07-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Let me heap some more praise on Sweetwater. Got my replacement headphone ear pads and some Faderlube from them. Great prices and service. Usually get DeoxIT from Guitar Center but they were out of F5 at the time.

jimbofish
07-15-2010, 09:30 AM
FYI- Parts Express has most of the Caig stuff on sale for 25% off in the latest flyer.

Brett a
07-15-2010, 01:45 PM
The only walk-in store that i could find carrying it here in central New Engand was Guitar Center. The store i went to is in Boston (near BU) and they had a pretty complete supply.

I can tell you a few places that definitely didn't have it:

the 3 small instrument shops (guitars, basses, drum kits, etc) in the 40 miles radios from my house.

2 of the electrical contractor storefronts near me

Home Depot

Lowe's

Radio Shack

In the end, I realized there isn't a can of Deoxit within 75 miles of my house. (I live that far west of Boston)

Good luck

---brett

Anubis
07-15-2010, 03:57 PM
The only walk-in store that i could find carrying it here in central New Engand was Guitar Center. The store i went to is in Boston (near BU) and they had a pretty complete supply.

I can tell you a few places that definitely didn't have it:

the 3 small instrument shops (guitars, basses, drum kits, etc) in the 40 miles radios from my house.

2 of the electrical contractor storefronts near me

Home Depot

Lowe's

Radio Shack

In the end, I realized there isn't a can of Deoxit within 75 miles of my house. (I live that far west of Boston)

Good luck

---brett

Frys is a joke and probably has not had it in stock for years or has cans of it with faulty sprayers or something.
Parts-express is just too darn expensive especially when you add what they charge for shipping. (Not saying Parts Express is bad in any way, I bought a couple of things from them a month ago, just a bit high priced in the shipping mostly).

One word for ya: "Sweetwater" as praised throughout this thread.
That's the one thing I learned from this thread and a nice thing to learn indeed. They have the lowest price and from reports here, great CS and etc. I understand they even include candy with your order! (Silly but I bet it works).
I have not bought anything from them yet, but I am going to. I paid $16 plus tax for my can of Deoxit at a local electronics shop.
From now on it's Sweetwater for me!
(In fact, I just noticed they have good deals on effects pedals. Even less than GC)! I may soon be saying hello to a Wah pedal!

terra1
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
I was going to get a bottle of the gold and a bottle of the red from Partsexpress, but they nail you to the wall on shipping! So they turn out to be the most expensive. (I just got a mag lamp and speakers from them and found that Amazon gets the products through them, but cuts the shipping almost in half. (Partsexpress = $30 shipping vs Amazon = $19 shipping) I ordered through amazon.

I use Deoxit D5 and Faderlube because those are usually the most accessible. I don't use Gold because I'm cheap although it may be a good idea. Cheap or lazy is also why I won't by the bottle versions. Cheap is why I won't use the Radio Shack twin-rip-off pack of Deoxit DN5 and Gold GN5 which is more for cleaning RCA jacks and connections than pots and sliders.

For areas where sprays are not accessible, I spray on to a q-tip or pipe cleaner and then apply. I will use a paper towel as a backstop holding q-tip or pipe cleaner to avoid overspraying onto surrounding.

If you are using Deoxit D5 on pots followup with Faderlube to replenish lubrication. Some will use 100% Deoxit D-100S or Faderlube only on sliders or pots because of concerns of damage. Gold is mainly a preservative.

Arkay and Markthefixer have been exchanging notes and hopefully revisions will be made shortly.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3693359&postcount=117

Ed in Tx
07-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Frys is a joke and probably has not had it in stock for years or has cans of it with faulty sprayers or something...
Ha that's funny pretty much what happened to me at the local Fry's, all they had was some Progold in a pen applicator for about $16 that had apparently been opened, returned and restocked. (Fry's certainly came in handy though when I had a hard drive fail at 8:45 PM and got one a new one there before they closed at 9.) Then I found Guitar Center, only 3 miles from my house and much closer than Fry's, stocks a good selection of Caig products and at a good price too.

terra1
07-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh, I didn't think of that. I thought the stuff in the spray can was a little different in viscosity or something, but then thinking about it I realized it isn't, just the same stuff under pressure.
Dipping it is a good idea too.

The different formulations are based on different needs

DN5 is quick drying but obviously does not have the flushing action of D5.
The bottle form allows for more precision application than the spray.

TNRabbit
07-27-2010, 03:50 AM
Parts Express has DeOxit 100% on sale for $18.95 (@ $10 off):

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=341-220&scqty=1

thermocouple
07-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Sorry for the bad luck at Fry's. The can I got there was fine. $13.99

Fletch
07-31-2010, 10:34 AM
I was just at Radio Shack and they had the small Gold & Red in a pack for $14.99. Not bad for the both of them.

devoid
07-31-2010, 11:09 AM
I get mine from my employer, who I was expecting to see mentioned but disappointed it hasn't yet been. I'd certainly plug them here but I believe that's not allowed.

Anyway I once won a can of it from Grumpy.

CountZero
08-02-2010, 02:50 AM
In New Zealand you can get deoxit from Jaycar

Sam Cogley
08-02-2010, 09:09 AM
I was just at Radio Shack and they had the small Gold & Red in a pack for $14.99. Not bad for the both of them.

IMHO, Rat Shack's price is terrible for the quantity you get.

majick47
11-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Another Sweetwater fan, just ordered Deoxit D5 and Faderlube, excellent price/free shipping/nice folks/attentive service.

majick47
11-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Received my order of D5, Faderlube and candy from Sweetwater today, $13.99 each and free shipping to boot. They also sent a catalog of audio related equipment, recommend Sweetwater for Deoxit and any other audio needs.

Hyperion
11-27-2010, 05:33 AM
If I want to buy a 5oz can of 5% DeOxit D5 in the UK it can cost me up to the equivalent of $34.54 to get it to my door.

Best price I have seen (searched just now) is the equivalent of $31.51

So, to answer the OP's question - "The cheapest place I can get it !"

Ed in Tx
11-27-2010, 10:55 AM
If I want to buy a 5oz can of 5% DeOxit D5 in the UK it can cost me up to the equivalent of $34.54 to get it to my door.

If you're looking for some and since you're in the UK, why not buy real "Cramolin Contaclean"? That's what Deoxit was in the US before it got reformulated and the name changed.

http://uk.farnell.com/cramolin/contaclean-400ml/cleaner-contaclean-400ml/dp/840038

Cactus Bob
11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Received my order of D5, Faderlube and candy from Sweetwater today, $13.99 each and free shipping to boot. They also sent a catalog of audio related equipment, recommend Sweetwater for Deoxit and any other audio needs.

Sweetwater is the best. Love their customer reps. & products. :thmbsp:

Hyperion
11-27-2010, 11:24 AM
If you're looking for some and since you're in the UK, why not buy real "Cramolin Contaclean"? That's what Deoxit was in the US before it got reformulated and the name changed.

http://uk.farnell.com/cramolin/contaclean-400ml/cleaner-contaclean-400ml/dp/840038

Thanks Ed - I'll look into that ! - very interesting. (the equivalent of $10.16 !!! & free shipping) :thmbsp: