View Full Version : Push-to-close-and-open cd player won't stay shut

johnnm
06-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I was asked by a family member to see if I could fix a clock-radio-CD player that won't stay shut. (Couldn't have cost more than $50.) The lid to the CD player is hinged, and attached to springs which push the lid into the "open" position. It's supposed to stay closed by way of a spring loaded "clip", for lack of a better term.

There's a small triangular piece of plastic on the underside of the lid which, when the lid is pushed down, goes into a female socket containing a spring which locks the lid in place, closed. When you push on the top of the lid where this "clip" is after it's closed, it opens up.

I'm really sorry about the poor description and current lack of a picture (maybe tomorrow), but hopefully you get the idea. (It's how all push-to-open-and-close cd players work, isn't it?)

The locking female socket mechanism isn't locking anymore, hence the lid always stays up. My questions are 1) is there a name for this locking device which has failed? and 2) is there anywhere to get a replacement? I can't imagine it costing more than a dollar or two. I tried radio shack with low hopes and they didn't have it.

berny1970
06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
This is a common mechanismus. Comparable to a ball pen, where you push on top (click-click). Unfortunately the female side of this mechanism is not very durable. I don't think that there are any servicable part inside. Hence, no spare parts available.

The only change to close the lid is to put somethink heavy on top (e.g. a book).

Another way: If you remove the big spring of the lid, it will always stay closed. By attaching a small screw to the lid this can be used as a knob to open it. Then you have kind of "manually open" lid.

Celt
06-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm with Berny. Other than finding a cheap parts unit to rob the piece from, ditch the clip, spring and put a small knob on the lid.

similost
06-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Sorry.. .couldn't resist the urge...

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/usa/images-2/duct-tape-rolls.jpg

Ausjoe
06-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a Sony mini system like that in the garage. When that happened I drilled a hole, inserted a screw and now the clip has something slightly bigger to hold on to. Has lasted a good long while though I rarely use it. You can still make it release by pushing on it as long as the screw head is just the right size.

Celt
06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
BTW: It's amazing how many of these things you see as display units with the same problem.

slow_jazz
06-29-2010, 11:00 AM
I put a screw and plastic tab on mine and rotate the tab to keep it closed or open it.

Drifting
06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
I had same problem on yet another Sony Cd/cassette/radio player. However I have somehow managed to fix it without doing anything much, except cleaning it. I suggest that is what you do first, then open and close it a good few times to see if it works again. It may start working again, mine did. still working to this day, and it first went wrong two / three years ago.

33&athird
06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I had same problem on yet another Sony Cd/cassette/radio player. However I have somehow managed to fix it without doing anything much, except cleaning it. I suggest that is what you do first, then open and close it a good few times to see if it works again. It may start working again, mine did. still working to this day, and it first went wrong two / three years ago.

Couldn't hurt anything...kind of like ball-mice, once you clean them, they are okay, and it's always amazing how much gunk can accumulate in just the wrong place.

And if all else fails, yeah, duct tape or a book may do it;)