View Full Version : Sony STR 7065

Mike Gibson
02-03-2005, 01:01 AM
I just bought one for 20.00 and it's supposed to work. Time will tell when it gets here. I know nothing about Sony other than I had a 377 R2R many moons ago. Any ideas on what all it has? The STR 7065 that is :)

bolly
02-03-2005, 02:04 AM
SONY RCV, STR-7065
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1973 - 1978
Additional Information:
Power: 60wpc
Retail
MSRP: $550.00

harhau
02-03-2005, 02:55 AM
Mike,
I have the BOTL STR-7025 - a fine little thing. The 7065 ought to be even better.

- Harald

Yamaha B-2
02-03-2005, 06:12 AM
You can do a forum search to find out what others have been mentioned here. I have an STR-7055A and think it is just great! Terrific receiver with excellent sound and build quality. Match it up with a good antenna for FM reception and a pair of good speakers from around the same era (Large Advents, EPI 120, etc.) and you'll have some great sound.

Mike Gibson
02-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Thank you for the replies in the Sony. I did a search and came up with several pages of posts that had little to do with the Sony. The same thing happened when I searched for KLH 17. Maybe I don't know how to do a proper search? I used quotes and put in the model number and still get several pages of unrelated info.

bordeno
02-03-2005, 10:36 AM
I love mine...great FM reception, built like a tank. Underrated and underappreciated. At least as good as competing Marantz, Pioneer units of the mid '70s

Deadear
02-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Mike Gibson , the 7065 is a very well built unit , mine needs the bias and offset adjusted , if you find your is also off a bit let me know as I have not found on line resourses to accomplish this as yet .

axel
02-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Mike,
The 7065 was Sony's TOTL between '71 and '75, replacing the late 60s STR-6100/6120/6200 monsters and being replaced by the STR6800SD (or US-only 7800SD) and later STR-V7/6/5 line.
Healthy and well built in any case ; the tuner part is 4-gang IIRC.
There was an STR-7065A version but I don't know the differences between the two versions.

Yamaha B-2
02-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the replies in the Sony. I did a search and came up with several pages of posts that had little to do with the Sony. The same thing happened when I searched for KLH 17. Maybe I don't know how to do a proper search? I used quotes and put in the model number and still get several pages of unrelated info.
Try without the quotations marks. Also, where it is addressed in any postings that pop up it is highlighted in red. Nice piece of gear.

Brian
02-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Axel, between the 6100/6200/6120/6060 units and the 7xxx series there was the 6xxx series 6045, 6055 and 6065 plus I think another unit that did not follow the look.

axel
02-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Brian,
the 6xxx series are from the same series, just smaller in size and output, but different versions appeared at later dates, indeed.

Brian
02-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Then 1st series and second series 6xxx are radically different in both construction and stylin with the second sereis having more in common with then it did with the 1st series. When the 2nd series came out is was introduced as a replacement for the 1st series by Sony and not part of the family. Also between them there is an overlap such as with the power. for instance I believe my 6060 is 45 watts which I believe is the same or nearly so of the 6055. When Sony introduced the 7xxx series the NE rep had a showing and dinner that I attended and it was represented as the 3rd generation. Since Sony on separate occasions and in different years made the distinction, I'll fly with that. Whe the 2nd sereis came out the 1st series was withdraw from the market. There was an overlap to sell off inventory but that is not unusual.

Yamaha B-2
02-03-2005, 03:48 PM
You two are saying the same thing, but both are calling them the 6xxx series. There was a first 6xxx with the 6200 being the TOTL (and final receiver from that series). Then the 2nd gen with the 6065A being the TOTL and then the STR-xxxxSD series, being the 3rd gen and the -Vx being the 4th gen. And all follow-on stuff from Sony being of lesser quality until we get up to today's load of crap they send out.

axel
02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
YB2,
I wouldn't say the last "proper" 70s receivers (STR-V7/6/5) were crap - not as well remembered as the contemporary Pioneer offerings, of course, not as majestuous either, but far from an 80s cheapo box. Luckily!

Brian,
I meant the 1st series are 6100/6120/6200 ; the 2nd series are the xx50 or xx55 series of which the 7065 was the topper - sorry for the confusion. The 6060 is contemporary from the 1st 6xxx series ('67/68).

Yamaha B-2
02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Axel - No, I wouldn't say that the STR-Vx series is crap. If I thought so I wouldn't own an STR-V6 that has been completely restored, recapped and aligned by Mark Wilson at Absolute Sound Labs. And am sending him an STR-V7 to do next. When I get it back I will own the best receiver ever made (IMHO, of course - though I do lust after a black SX-5590 and Toshiba SA-7150). All the Sony receivers up through and including the STR-Vx series were as good as any made. Quality on a par with any of them and sound better than all but the Yamaha CR-series (actually sound very similar - smooth, fast and tight with plenty of bass slam - a 'non-fat' sound). Sorry I didn't make it plain that the -Vx series is included with the "good-guys".

axel
02-03-2005, 05:18 PM
I thought you meant STR-VXxxx that are part of the "bad guys" :-) There's however an extremely rare STR-GX10ES 1987/88 receiver that I mentioned in another AK thread that is part of the good guys... but with bad guys' looks :-)

Yamaha B-2
02-03-2005, 05:51 PM
I agree. Sony, like the rest of the Japanese receiver makers (and U.S., if any were left by '81, or so) really went downhill about this time. Sony's STR-Vxx series (that followed the STR-Vx series) is nothing like its predecessors. Too bad, too sad (except for us collectors, of course). Prices seem to have really started to climb on vintage gear. I don't know if this is the normal ebb and flow or not. But I've been trying to buy a few tuners recently and have had to pay top dollar for a couple of them and couldn't even touch a couple of Yamaha TX-1000, which have gone from the mid-$300 range to over $700 in the latest auctions. We'll see as the next one comes up. Same with my CT-1010. After my review was posted the prices doubled on them. Last time I write something nice about gear I would like to own. I do want everyone to know that the Yamaha B-2 amp is best used as a boat anchor. On my boat, that is.

Brian
02-03-2005, 06:50 PM
By George Yamaha, ya got it. As for the quality of the SD and V series, I have mixed emotions as to quality. I however do feel that with each generation of ss equipment the economy goals of the designs and the "features" criteria tended to somehow rob each successive generation of that certain thing that older units had. Feel not quite the same, more qimmics. Last week I auditioned a V7 (not for sale) and in absolute terms it was quite decent. The owner though had disposed of his 7800 and felt the 7800 was actually the better unit. I set the V7 up against the 6060 and the V7 showed what "better" specs can mean but the V7 owner after about an hour of going back and forth and looking at things such as the chassis, speaker terminals, feel of the controls and opening each up has decided that he too is looking for a 6060 but will not sell his V7. The in terior of the V7 looked like a rat's nest compared to the 6060 and even the circuit boards and controls looked like the results of a cost cutter. Pardon my comparison but it looked like something Panasonic would have put out 30 years ago. In absolute terms, the V7 sounds like a really decent unit with what most would term a good neutral sound with very good resolution.

Yamaha B-2
02-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Hmmmm......I've taken the top off of my -V7 and would certainly not describe as anything approaching a 'rat's nest'. Everything is very well laid out, all wiring runs are neat, orderly and tied nicely and if anything, could have been put in a quite a bit smaller chassis due to all the open space available with the more compact boards that the components are mounted on. It is not nearly as congested on the inside as the ST-6055A (or your ST-6065). Newer wiring techiques (switch and board design, etc.) made great strides during this period of time. And the newer receivers took advantage of this, as did all electronic gear. While you may prefer the ST-6065, which I certainly do not fault you for (to each their own), the neatness of the interior cannot be be compared as the STR-V7's newer design is much neater and many fewer wires running all over the place. I will eventually post a nudie pic of each next to each other (and you do your ST-6065, as well) and we can see.

In fact, when I get to drag them out and taking the case off I'll also include an STR-6800SD, a Yamaha CR-640, CR-620, B-2, P2075 and C-65. We can just do a whole lot of comparison at one time. Might even toss in a tuner or two for good measure. And a modern Sony ES receiver, as well. But have to finish up my report tonight so will most likely be this weekend.

Brian
02-03-2005, 08:34 PM
The comparison was with the 6060 and not the 6065. The 6065 is a rat's nest also compared to the 6060. This is not limited to the Sonys. I find many receivers that appear to have had the boards bolted down and then the production engineers have to get the wiring done. No layout engineering. No apparent thought for noise, rf pickup or him. Wires running in harnesses parrellel with each other rather than keeping separate and crossing to prevent interference. Look at a good component layout.

Yamaha B-2
02-03-2005, 08:53 PM
You are just going to have to post that nudie of your ST-6060 so we can see how much better Sony's earlier work is. Will be an interesting comparison.

Mike Gibson
02-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Thank you all for the great information. As an aside I got an e-mail from the seller today telling me he will have to charge more than his usual 10.00 for shipping :D I thought his estimate was a little low. Anyway, thanks again for the info and I can't wait to see if it works when it arrives.

axel
02-04-2005, 03:07 AM
The 6060(F) does look better inside - solid shielded boxes like a contemporary (and pricey) ST-5000(F) or later ST-A7(B) but I'm sure that, the V7 being almost 10 years younger, it will outdo the elder (specs-wise it really does).
But it would be a nice comparison to do, sound-wise!

jblmar
02-04-2005, 02:50 PM
When I was in High School, I bought my first Stereo system. It was between the Marantz 2250 or the Sony STR 7065A. Both receivers looked and sounded great. The 7065 is the earlier version, but the "A" may just have a minor change. Either way, it's a nice receiver.

Ron

Brian
02-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Which did you buy?

jblmar
02-04-2005, 04:31 PM
The marantz because the meters looked nice in the dark. :lmao:

Ron

Yamaha B-2
02-05-2005, 08:25 AM
The 6065 is a rat's nest also compared to the 6060. This is not limited to the Sonys. I find many receivers that appear to have had the boards bolted down and then the production engineers have to get the wiring done. No layout engineering. No apparent thought for noise, rf pickup or him. Wires running in harnesses parrellel with each other rather than keeping separate and crossing to prevent interference. Look at a good component layout.
Here's the first nudie party. ST-6055A (45wpc) is top left. Yamaha CA-410 integrated is top right (35wpc). Yamaha P2075 (50wpc) is bottom left and Yamaha B-2 (100wpc) is bottom right. Sort of an evolutionary thing. After the ST-6060 and -6055A eras a great deal of engineering went into using traces on PCBs for conducting pathways. Done by machines rather than errors of human hands. But, the point of economics is well taken. But, look at the shielding the CA-410. How many low power integrateds do you know that used shields on their switches? And the most recent shown is the P2075. Almost no wiring at all in the conducting paths. Same with the B-2. Although you can't see it, all the power into and out of the drivers is via small PCBs that plug into the bottom of the heat sinks. Maybe you don't care for, but is good engineer, overall.

Brian
02-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Your photo to the 6055A shows what I mean. To me it looks like a rat's nest (apoligies to any rats who my be on our group). The wiring is neither neat nor well laid out and run. The earler 6060 is more on the lines of a Marantz 18/19 or Mc. even cabling run in sheathing to minimize pickup. One day, I gotta compromise and buy a digital camera - just seems like a sellout. The other units in the photo show better production engineering, at least in terms of wiring. Don't get me wrong, the Sony just because it looks like a rat's nest does not influence my opinion of it. I really like the Sony and my 6065 is my longest owned receiver and the 6060 the newest.

Yamaha B-2
02-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Perhaps Sony is just following what you said earlier and not running parallel wires and crossing them to minimize interferance. Somehow, I think not. But, it sure does work well and sounds great.

Why does digital photography seem like a sellout? Too easy? Like integrated shift/brake levers and clipless pedals on my bicycles......I'll never go back. Probably saved $1000 in film and processing costs since we got our first digital camera about five years ago. My nephew still uses it.

Brian
02-05-2005, 02:10 PM
I prefer old audio equipment, old automobiles, old camera and even my woman is old. A digital camera - next you'd ask why I would not switch from vinyl to digital. Or from an analog tner to a digital. Even my house is old.

My Leica or Rolleiflex TLR feels and acts lie a real camera. Even my Bronica. Nothing like the smell of developer, the glow of the safety light, the thrill of seeing that image on a neg, or the image as it starts to come up on the paper. Composing, determining depth of field, correct exposure, pre-exposure, waiting hours for the right light and taking 1 exposure all day. Sort of like shelving my stereo and going with a Bose or mini system.

Whitehall
12-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Interesting discussion of production practices but how do the sounds compare?

I've just heard the 6060FW and was very impressed. However, it was a bit ratty cosmetically. The 6200F is exceedingly rare. The 7065 is common and easily found in great condition.

Resolved that the first two are wonderful sounding receivers but a burning question for me is whether the 7065 is close to being as good as the former.

Yamaha B-2
12-07-2005, 04:42 PM
SONY RCV, STR-7065
Description: Manufacture Years: 1973 - 1978
Additional Information: Power: 60wpc
Retail MSRP: $550.00Hadn't really paid much attention to this, but is definitely a case where Orion is off. '73 is about the last year (might have been '74 lor '75, but not as late as '78) and not the first. The STR-xx00SD series came out about '75 and then the STR-Vx series.

absolon
12-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys.
Informative and entertaining. Anyone have a count of the number of 6200's and 6120's that have passed through ebay in recent times? Also YB2, do you have the tuner yet?

Yamaha B-2
12-08-2005, 05:10 AM
No. Won't have for some time yet. Probably in the spring.

henri-61
11-16-2011, 09:16 PM
It's time to freshen this up..OK-Just a note of awareness to those unaware..and there are alot if them..about these two models-I just scored a working, dirty rescue 1973 7065 for a pitiful $30-it was just dirty from sitting-I already have a mint 7065A..and since this sat on CL for a month at $125 ,the guy just said screw it and needed to get rid of it and dropped the price to $30, anyway I'm very attracted to 68'-74' receivers where aesthetics and fidelity are in perfect balance-I admire the era as the sound/vision vintage sweet spot for alot of companies and my collection reflects that.Over the years like many of us I have bought,enjoyed and sold many sets,my 1st. was a 2325 (long gone),my brother is a major Marantz refurb guy,so I've been knee deep in them for years, but ALL THE SAME.. I am primarily a devoted Sansui fan-that being said,the 7065 is fairly easy to de-face,clean-light up and blow out etc.-it is a scratch free unit that was just dirty..so my point through all this babbling is that these units EXCEL in a ridiculous manner.. to the point of sounding as deep and broad staged as my Sansui 5000x, which in my opinion is the best japanese SS receiver ever built..power and range that doesn't buckle at all when pushed hard..the tuner is another story..it pretty much blows away all my other tuners, and I'm thinking..how dumb is it that a unit with so much credibility when it comes to form (beautiful as heck) function (simply badass in every way) and build quality (solid), not be in the sights of those who know?..$30!!..I know it sounds idiotic to complain about a good score, but out of respect to sound, and out of respect to Sony-these units in particular deserve MUCH more respect fiscally and audiophile wise -it easily holds it's own and perhaps sounds better (I don't want to admit it) than my Mac 1900!!-what's up?!-I hope you all get great deals all the time-another part that makes the hobby fun-but I know my hi-fi..and these are truly the sleepers of all sleepers..and it annoys me that folks don't know about them, so if you can.. GET ONE.-SUPERDAVEINNYC.

Sansui 1000a-5000x-800-Mcintosh 1900-Marantz 2215-2240-HK 520-Pioneer sx-6000-the two Sony's
Lafayette lr1500ta (2)-Olson ra-195-ra-94-Revox G36-Dynaco A35's-Pio cs88a's-Sansui-sp2500x's

Yggdrasill
11-16-2011, 10:09 PM
I had a 7065A a few years ago. Fantastic tuner, good looking, cool features such as dimming tuner dial when you select a non-tuner input.

Mine sounded a bit hollow - needed a recap I'm sure - but was very well built.

reggaenaut
11-16-2011, 10:38 PM
These Sonys are noted for build quality and sound.
I have 6060F, 7065 and 6800.
I love them all but the 6060F is very special. Exceptional build allrounder....solid aluminium knobs, solid aluminium speaker terminal, 5 gang tuner totally shielded, very good phono and headphone.

vitorzoom
11-17-2011, 06:16 AM
I have a Sony str 7065, your tuner is better than the Marantz 4400, because I live 40 km from Sao Paulo, and the reception is better on Sony. The sound is warm, the bass deeper and more pronounced in relation to the Sansui 8080db.Sound very balanced, unlike many Japanese receiver that has a sound "burned", rather like the sound of integrated British and Europeans in general

henri-61
11-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah it's a fun mystery-actually my roommate has a 8080db and I must say they're pretty mean machines, and Sansui does have a great bass tradition on most units, but I've noticed with his the bass tone can be a wee bit dull when tweaked, like too much bass (C-Vega DC-3's) which is how I like my B/T settings-with the Sony, the bass just sings in a real sweet,beefy tone (Nat Cole/Parliament/Humble Pie road test certified)-I'm not a tech..and it is a bit thick under the hood,but laid out well..I guess they could be tough to service..(what isn't)..but the sonics are that goodand it should hover legitimately in the 2 to 3 and up range..definite high quality..and getting rare'er'er.I will look into the 6060f..they are definitely very cool looking..

MIKE47
11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
I own 2 sony str 7045 receivers and love them both. I rotate my receivers quite often, but i seem to be playing they sonys a lot more these days. I paid $20 for each one. They both have the wood cases. When i got them they were so dirty i was afraid to even clean for fear something might be hiding inside. But it all turned out well. A very warm and rich sounding.:music: