View Full Version : Balancing a tone arm

Rawshack
07-28-2010, 06:14 PM
OK, so I've got my new cart, a AT95E, got it fitted and overhang alligned and all good.

However, I've forgotten to adjust the tracking weight. No problem, I'll simply float the arm and set the weight as per AT's instructions...

Hmm, here comes the trouble - I can't get the arm to float on my table, and neither does it have any dial for the weight... Any idea what I can do? I have a PL-12 and can't find a manual for it anywhere? Would a pressure gauge help???

Ta

Rawshack

PS - I know I'm asking a lot of questions but really, this is an awesome forum and I know nothing. As you can tell...

Balifly
07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Watch this video clip, it help.:music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsCWMh9nwY

Rawshack
07-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Watch this video clip, it help.:music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsCWMh9nwY

That would be fine if my counterweight had numbers on it

Besides, I played around for a while last night and could not get the tone arm to float come hell or high water :scratch2:

Zodia
07-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Each line represents half a gram, if you can't get the tonearm to balance then you are most likely missing the sub-weight (it attaches to the back of the tonearm behind the large counter weight).

PS: we already showed you the manual at vinylengine, i checked all and they all seem the same, check it out again, and disregard what i said above, if the counter weight does not have numbers, then you have the PL-12AC, the counter weight on your tonearm should have a set screw, if it does than you have the AC, and your best bet to get the VTF right, is to use a VTF scale/gauge.

Rawshack
07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Each line represents half a gram, if you can't get the tonearm to balance then you are most likely missing the sub-weight (it attaches to the back of the tonearm behind the large counter weight).

Hmm, from what I can tell from pictures on the web, the counterweight I have looks normal and correct... Will need to investigate further...

Thanks for the advice

Zodia
07-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Hmm, from what I can tell from pictures on the web, the counterweight I have looks normal and correct... Will need to investigate further...

Thanks for the advice
Yeah read my previous post, i am pretty sure we figured out the exact model of your TT.

Rawshack
07-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah read my previous post, i am pretty sure we figured out the exact model of your TT.

Yeah, it is a PL-12, but I can't find the manual for it on VE. I may be being very stupid though...

PS -I have ordered a cheap Ortofon gauge, hopefully this will do the trick. I am surprised that I can't float the arm, but I won't loose any sleep over it ;)

Zodia
07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I may be being very stupid though...

No not at all, i feel ya, though :thmbsp: . I felt the same way when i first got my Thorens TD 150 (AB), and i was so confused as to the AB, since it looked so similar to the other 150, it turns out that the AB letters stand for Arm and Base...
And the only differences i see between the PL12D and the PL12AC is the tonearm...I'm just hoping that someone with more experience with pioneer TTs can shed some light on the mystery.
Anyway, staying on topic, the ortofon gauge is a good start, personally i would have gone with the Shure gauge (but it's all a matter of personal choice).

Rawshack
07-28-2010, 08:23 PM
No not at all, i feel ya, though :thmbsp: . I felt the same way when i first got my Thorens TD 150 (AB), and i was so confused as to the AB, since it looked so similar to the other 150, it turns out that the AB letters stand for Arm and Base...
And the only differences i see between the PL12D and the PL12AC is the tonearm...I'm just hoping that someone with more experience with pioneer TTs can shed some light on the mystery.
Anyway, staying on topic, the ortofon gauge is a good start, personally i would have gone with the Shure gauge (but it's all a matter of personal choice).

Hmm, I simply chose the Ortofon as it was the cheapest - not the best option I know, but I've spent more than enough recently on new LPs, carts, and other bits and bobs

Now, as for the turntable... I'm not convinced that my table is an AC - I think it's just a straight PL-12, but I can't find any details for it. Either way, it's a lovely machine and with some correct set up, it's going to be even better :thmbsp: