View Full Version : check out the new Pioneer CT-F1000...few issues, but what did you expect?

91rtstealth
08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
OK.well I finally picked up this Pioneer ct-f1000. I got it for 40 instead of the original 50...woohoo...anyways, I figured it wouldn't work perfectly. I at least figured it wouldn't rewind for fast forward like I heard many of them are prone to do. However, I found another issues which I demonstrate in the video below...I can outline them via text as well....

1. Like I said....no fast forward or rewind...however, it does record and play...

2. during playback, there is some noise in the right channel but no audio playback..the left channel is fine. This applies to both the output on the rear and headphones. Record works on both channels (tried it on another tape deck)....and if I hook up my ipod to the input on the back, audio plays fine through both channels on source....it plays through the output in the back and trough the headphone jack.

3. With the monitor on tape: if I touch anywhere around the assembly around the heads (just above the tape controls) a hum will sound through the right channel...NOW if I ground myself to the body of the unit and touch around the same assembly, it doesn't do it...?????

what do you think?

here's the video....sorry for the video quality...i use iphoto to upload to youtube because it's quick and easy...not sure how to improve the quality that way...

http://www.youtube.com/user/druunderwood#p/a/u/0/6P1_AbwTX-w

Phototone
08-19-2010, 04:11 PM
You need to "open 'er up" and see what mechanical issue is causing that FF-Rewind issue. The Hum/touch is probably due to a broken wire to the right channel of the record/playback head, or playback head, if it is a 3 head design.

91rtstealth
08-19-2010, 04:58 PM
I did just open er up actually...in fact I just put it back together a few seconds ago...haha...I couldn't see anything causing anything rewind fast forward issues...i have to take it apart, but I really don't know if I want to do that because I have NO IDEA how...it looks like a pain in the ass...anyone have a service manual for it?

you are probably right about the humming/touch problem...i'd really like to fix that and then have someone else fix the other problem...i just don't have a clue as how to take this thing apart..got the case off, and stopped there..haha...

91rtstealth
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
well I got a little more ambitious and took it apart again...it's not as bad as I thought...I took some pics and videos....i'll put the pics on here and the video on youtube...

how do you completely remove the cassette assembly from the body? do I have to cut all those yellow wires in the photo?

I hope the video is good enough....it's hard to see the gear inside that isn't spinning...i took photos to hopefully help..i'm glad we have this new technology to help us fix our old technology...:banana:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=druunderwood#p/a/u/0/e9M9BGgbhLg

it's the little gear in the background that looks like it's not turning...not sure what it's supposed to do really...hah

Eagle1
08-20-2010, 09:15 AM
First get the service manual http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/ct-f1000sm.pdf so at least you get a better understanding. Then you're going to need new belts and idler pulley Wjoe's is the place for both http://www.wjoe.com/vintageandantiques.htm#CTF series He has the entire set now: CT-F1000: Belt Kit WITH Rubber Pulley Kit. They come with detailed color instructions and pics. That should cure you FF/RW problem unless the clutch has cracked which is another issue. Easier to start with the belt and pulley replacement first before getting worried. No wires need to be cut!!!! Although tight for room you can minipulate the tape mechanism to get access to the belts, idlers and pulley. A good cleaning to rid of dust and grime would be in order while it's open and a can of DeOxit D5 and to clean the switches and pots followed by Faderlube to the pots. Don't forget to clean the record/playback and erase heads with Isoprople alcohol with a swab. When all done, hopefully that will cure your issues.

91rtstealth
08-20-2010, 10:35 AM
that's pretty nice that they now have a belt and pulley kit in one package. Before I buy that, I want to see if I can get this playback problem fixed. If I can't fix that, I'm probably just going to sell this unit. I don't know if I want to mess around with it too much. Depeneds how much work is involved with this playback problem.

I already cleaned the heads..that's the first thing I did..then the switches and pots...

random question....I see that some people say to clean with isopropyl alcohol of 90% or more...does it really matter...why not use 70%?

and does anyone have any more suggestions as to how to tackle this playback issue?

91rtstealth
08-20-2010, 02:41 PM
ok...so I reconnected the one lead on the playback head...it was one of the ground that was loose...so now I have sound on the right channel...but it's faint...it's quieter than the left channel and there's no high frequences..it's mostly low and some mid...

any ideas? maybe just run new wires all together?

Eagle1
08-23-2010, 09:13 AM
ok...so I reconnected the one lead on the playback head...it was one of the ground that was loose...so now I have sound on the right channel...but it's faint...it's quieter than the left channel and there's no high frequences..it's mostly low and some mid...

any ideas? maybe just run new wires all together?Sounds like someone may have been in there adjusting the head alignment, hence the broken wire. You can give a shot at manually adjusting the head with a tape playing to see if it improves. Make sure to note the position of the adjustment screw first incase you need to go back. Don't go too far as this also affects tape path alignment to the pinch rollers and could cause a tape jam. So use a sacrificial tape just incase. Some will say this is a no no but you have nothing to loose other than a tape.

91rtstealth
08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Sounds like someone may have been in there adjusting the head alignment, hence the broken wire. You can give a shot at manually adjusting the head with a tape playing to see if it improves. Make sure to note the position of the adjustment screw first incase you need to go back. Don't go too far as this also affects tape path alignment to the pinch rollers and could cause a tape jam. So use a sacrificial tape just incase. Some will say this is a no no but you have nothing to loose other than a tape.

yeah...i though of that as well. I am not entirely sure how to align the head, however, I did mess around with the 2 screws to the sides of the head to see if it made any difference. The left channel would go from lacking highs to sounding good, but the the right channel always sounded muffled no matter what I did. I ordered a head demagnetizer. I figured I'd give that a shot...not a bad thing to have regardless since I have 5 reel to reels and now a tape deck..haha...i'm going to mess around with it some more today. I'm going to try running a wire from the head to the circuit board just to see if it's a corroded wire or something.

91rtstealth
08-24-2010, 06:53 PM
tried tapping a wire from the head to the solder point on the playback board and it didn't do anything...i also tried demagnetizing the heads and still nothing..haha..

so it's either sell it as is or get it fixed...i'm undecided at this point...i don't really know where else to go from here..

restorer-john
08-24-2010, 07:06 PM
take a photo of the head top surface and side closeup and post it here. The tape guide on the actual head of all these pioneer decks often gets moved (it only has one securing screw) when someone pulls a tape out before the head has dropped (ie it gets caught on the cassette shell edge) this can put the head guide in a position where no matter how much you adjust the azimuth, the head cannot be aligned. You should check this first as it will also destroy the tape edges (use a sacrificial cassette)

91rtstealth
08-24-2010, 07:37 PM
alright...i'll try to get a shot of it sometime tomorrow or thursday...it does sound like the head is out of whack..but who knows...the right channel is just real faint and has no highs at all...the left channel is great..

91rtstealth
08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
here are some photos of the tape head....so is the tape guide out of whack?