View Full Version : Sony PS-X70 appears with a Shure V15-IV

Pio1980
09-13-2010, 01:18 AM
but cosmetically challenged with robotic automation issues and ever so slightly loose vertical axis bearings. And just when I was getting used to the idea of having the SL-1600MKII as my candidate 'go-to' D-D pivot arm 'table. The Sony looks somehow more capable, if---. The Technics OTOH cleaned up about as close to pristine as is reasonable to find and is a joy to operate.

The X70's robotic problems appear to be congealed grease on the worm spur gear shaft and the mute/arm brake lever shaft, easily reduced with a bit of Mobil 1 synth oil. Done! all working smoothly.
I'll see to the arm bearing later.

thedelihaus
09-13-2010, 01:31 AM
I have a Sony PS-X70, and a Technics SL-1710.

The Sony is a nicer deck, but I have the feeling the Technics will out-live it.

Watch that magnetic strip on the platter insides. It can't get chipped or damaged or the X-Tal system will go wiggy on you.

Pio1980
09-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Looks like it was shipped sometime assembled and the platter of course came loose with the TT upside down. I think other than the slightly loose bearing the arm and pillar are OK but while there appears to be a minor scar on the magnetic lining the thing turns evenly according to the strobe. The Cart is mounted on an unusual composite T4 platform rather than the signature square Sony head, here other than a grimy stylus all also appears OK tho' a used tip is still a used tip.

Where in the pecking order of 'good-to-better' TTs do these pair lie?

hakaplan
09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Both turntables (PS-X70 and SL-1600MK2) were top of their respective lines.

I don't know what you mean by "T4 composite platform." Do you mean T4P (p-mount)? That wouldn't make sense because the V15 IV was a standard mount cartridge.

thedelihaus
09-13-2010, 10:11 AM
The SL-1600MK2 is a fine table and I won't let my bedroom-duty SL-1710MK2 go anywhere anytime soon.

Reliable, nice sounding, and some parts interchangeability with the SL1200MK2.

Also takes kindly to mods.

The Sony PS-X70 uses a fantastic performing brushless, slotless motor. A decent sorbothane footer (though not as good as the earlier X5/X6/X7 models), an HBMC (High Bulk Moulded Compound) body of polyester and other inert materials (like Kenwood's polyester/stone bodys), and the dreamy PUA-7 arm. The X-Tal lock system helps keep excellent accurate speed. The tone arm automation is done via a second motor separate from the main motor. Arm is carbon-charged, Litz wire leads or possibly whole tonearm.

The table is, in my opinion, just on the crest of becoming too complicated- pop the bottom off, and there's a lot going on under there. The X50 (which I also have) and X60 (which, again, I also have) are simpler machines.

Contact me if you need anything for this table- I purchased a few recently for parts and have it all (well, almost all) from soup to nuts.

Pio1980
09-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Here are a couple quick pix, sorry abt the low quality.
It came missing the original mat with an inappropriate 3-M anti-static charcoal filter foam mat which I switched for a stray AudioQuest sorbothane mat nested on a sheet cork gasket to provide the lossy-coupled mass damping the platter requires. The Shure will be gone for one of the Digitrac 200 NE that I glommed off e-bay.
Still not decided about the arm bearings, thinking over the wisdom of the ever-so-slight tweak they might need.
A quiery, the anti-skate seems to introduce a bit of lateral drag, is this normal for these?

thedelihaus
09-13-2010, 01:56 PM
...Still not decided about the arm bearings, thinking over the wisdom of the ever-so-slight tweak they might need.
A quiery, the anti-skate seems to introduce a bit of lateral drag, is this normal for these?

Lateral "pull", (coming from the side)", normal.

Lateral "drag" or friction or obvious stain/resistance, sounds like some damage may have occurred.

hakaplan
09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Just to clarify, if you float the arm and apply anti-skate force, the arm should move toward the arm rest. That's what anti-skate was designed to do.

You're replacing the V15 IV with the Digitrac? Is there a reason for that?

Pio1980
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
The arm is totally breath-float free without antiskate applied, seems a tad 'sticky' in spots with the force applied and pulling the arm outward.
The V15-IV has a very used and grubby bonded tip on what may be an aftermarket stylus and I never had much satisfaction with a type III in the past in other gear, so my expectations are low for this later example with that stylus assembly. The 200 NE OTOH provides transparent total dynamic musical involvement in a Technics SL-7. If it's at least that good in the PX-70 I'll be impressed. I didn't get that with a try in the 1600MKII, dunno where I'm going with that from there. I also have a DENON DL-103M that would be a good fit in the Sony if it pans out, the arm problem could well be a show-stopper.
BTW, is your avatar Myron Floren?

scottyh777
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=thedelihaus;3990897]The SL-1600MK2 is a fine table and I won't let my bedroom-duty SL-1710MK2 go anywhere anytime soon.

Reliable, nice sounding, and some parts interchangeability with the SL1200MK2.

Also takes kindly to mods.

The Sony PS-X70 uses a fantastic performing brushless, slotless motor. A decent sorbothane footer (though not as good as the earlier X5/X6/X7 models), an HBMC (High Bulk Moulded Compound) body of polyester and other inert materials (like Kenwood's polyester/stone bodys), and the dreamy PUA-7 arm. The X-Tal lock system helps keep excellent accurate speed. The tone arm automation is done via a second motor separate from the main motor. Arm is carbon-charged, Litz wire leads or possibly whole tonearm.

The table is, in my opinion, just on the crest of becoming too complicated- pop the bottom off, and there's a lot going on under there. The X50 (which I also have) and X60 (which, again, I also have) are simpler machines.

thedelihaus,

Would you take a PS-X7 over a PS-X60?I have owned a PS-X60 but it died a few months back and I have another on the way.I also own a PS-X75.I have never owned the PS-X7 but have debated a purchase from time to time.

thedelihaus
09-13-2010, 06:51 PM
...thedelihaus,

Would you take a PS-X7 over a PS-X60?I have owned a PS-X60 but it died a few months back and I have another on the way.I also own a PS-X75.I have never owned the PS-X7 but have debated a purchase from time to time.

The PS-X50/60/70 has that great arm, the PUA-7, with VTA to boot. The PUA-7 is a simpler beast- I prefer the looks, the carbon armtube is no slouch, and the feet, in my opinion, are better.

I think the PS-X7 is a great table, and as I said, the arm very good, but not quite the PUA-7 arm. Still, again, the arm is no slouch by any means, and having run a few of these tables, It's going to give you fantastic performance.

Motors are identical or near identical, both use the HBMC body, both use that excellent X-Tal lock, both are of brushless/slotless design.

The X5/6/7 seem to typically be in better running shape, with only the occasional with a flickering strobe, or the selector armature for record size broken inside (but easily repairable).

SOME of the X50/60/70s I've run across have had flickering strobes, tired caps, humming interference or X-Tal lock issues, or all the above. These issues seem to plague the fancy 8750s more often than not, as well.

I'll give the slight advantage to the X60 for the arm, but the rest of the table I honestly prefer the X-7.

thedelihaus
09-13-2010, 07:01 PM
The arm is totally breath-float free without antiskate applied, seems a tad 'sticky' in spots with the force applied and pulling the arm outward...

I cannot recall how VTA is applied once you start turning the ring- I'll check tonight and get back to you. The issue is either a futzed arm or hardened grease, I bet.

Are you a handy fella?

...The 200 NE OTOH provides transparent total dynamic musical involvement in a Technics SL-7. If it's at least that good in the PX-70 I'll be impressed...

That arm (and table) is a serious piece of kit.

Here's the Vintage Knob's take on it-

"...The PS-X70 was carefully engineered- BSL motor with Magnedisc barium-ferrite readout, urethane-coated Litz wires, carbon-charged tonearm, gold-plated contacts and adjustable VTA.

The J-shaped tonearm is a PUA-7 (available separately for 30,000) and a simplified version of the PUA-9 fitted on the PS-X9 masterpiece...the X70 turned out to be one of Sony's bestselling turntable - and it wasn't cheap. The entire series is part of the most sold japanese turntables...Add in a Denon DL-160 or a Sony XL-55 (the PUA-7 deserves good moving-coil cartridges, even heavyweights like the old DL-103) and you will be stunned by the results..."

I'm a fan of the Ortofon carts myself, but haven't tried my Super OM 30 on the Sony- yet.

scottyh777
09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
The PS-X50/60/70 has that great arm, the PUA-7, with VTA to boot. The PUA-7 is a simpler beast- I prefer the looks, the carbon armtube is no slouch, and the feet, in my opinion, are better.

I think the PS-X7 is a great table, and as I said, the arm very good, but not quite the PUA-7 arm. Still, again, the arm is no slouch by any means, and having run a few of these tables, It's going to give you fantastic performance.

Motors are identical or near identical, both use the HBMC body, both use that excellent X-Tal lock, both are of brushless/slotless design.

The X5/6/7 seem to typically be in better running shape, with only the occasional with a flickering strobe, or the selector armature for record size broken inside (but easily repairable).

SOME of the X50/60/70s I've run across have had flickering strobes, tired caps, humming interference or X-Tal lock issues, or all the above. These issues seem to plague the fancy 8750s more often than not, as well.

I'll give the slight advantage to the X60 for the arm, but the rest of the table I honestly prefer the X-7.

I like the looks of the 50/60/70 better for sure.I am aware of the issues of these but I love them just the same.Had a PS-X75 crap on me over a year ago with no arm movement issues ect...Found a mint one a few months after that and have been playing it daily for over a year no issues.But it's a ticking time bomb lol.My PS-X60 was wonky as hell.Had hum issues and other nasty things.Should have another one here in about a week descibed as mintish.Waiting for a PS-X9 to fall in my lap.

thedelihaus
09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I like the looks of the 50/60/70 better for sure.I am aware of the issues of these but I love them just the same.Had a PS-X75 crap on me over a year ago with no arm movement issues ect...Found a mint one a few months after that and have been playing it daily for over a year no issues.But it's a ticking time bomb lol.My PS-X60 was wonky as hell.Had hum issues and other nasty things.Should have another one here in about a week descibed as mintish.Waiting for a PS-X9 to fall in my lap.

Oops- I had a typo. I meant to say I liked the feet and looks of the X7 better.

The X60 is a fine table though. I had a pair of them but am soon to be working on an X50 or two.

I need to finish up an AKer's X6 first though- custom RCA jacks, grease, restore arm lift goo.

Nice thing, however- I'm rolling in X50/60/70 spare parts.

I think I've sent the last of my X5/6/7 parts off to AKers, save for a few pieces I have for Mark Walters.

Pio1980
09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I am moderately 'handy' and hopefully still have a good "approaching-over-my-head" sense. Thnx much for the offer of parts and assistance and please all do keep the side-chatter going, it is most informative and useful.
If the strobe is steady can I assume the xtal-lock mag stripe is OK?

thedelihaus
09-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I am moderately 'handy' and hopefully still have a good "approaching-over-my-head" sense. Thnx much for the offer of parts and assistance and please all do keep the side-chatter going, it is most informative and useful.
If the strobe is steady can I assume the xtal-lock mag stripe is OK?

If the strobe markings look steady, most likely the X-Tal is just fine.

Pio1980
09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Thnx again! Let me know about the antiskate mech. The manual doesn't show a teardown of the pillar past the arm and bearings.
I'm gonna do a test run with it this eve with the type IV cart and see how it does.

thedelihaus
09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I forgot the PUA-7 has an integrated style anti-scate.

I have Mark Walter's X-6 here and a spare X6 arm, which uses a different bias adjustment design- and easier to futz with.

The PUA being internal is a bit more challenging and I haven't opened up the arms enough to futz with it- yet. These prove to be complicated at times, so my feelings are to avoid it if possible.

With anti-skate at zero, you say there's no issue?

Tell me, any damage to the arm tube or bearing housing- marks, anything?

This table is a good'un and worth figuring out what you, or we, need to do to get it up to snuff, if possible.

Pio1980
09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Some very minor rub marks in a couple places probably from the loose platter, but nothing of alarming concern re possible hidden damage. I see nothing on the arm assembly that took a hit. Nothing broken, fractured, or bent. Sheer dumb luck no thanx to the buttholes that packed and handled it.

The more I handle this thing the more I am convinced it is at least a performance level category above the Technics 1200 series, esp the arm and platter motor. It is just mo' better TT in every respect and the automation seems more robust as well.
There's a rather poorly reproduced cutaway of the pillar on TVK. http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X70.html
I'm suspecting friction issues with the antiskate spring. The thing is amazingly friction-free in both axis with the antiskate defeated at '0'. As the anti-skate issue with good reproduction is considered by some somewhat secondary it may work just fine if not better with out, regardless.
I would consider if necessary attempting to pull the arm assembly and pillar base but not attempt disassembly of the arm pillar myself.

thedelihaus
09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
...The more I handle this thing the more I am convinced it is at least a performance level category above the Technics 1200 series, esp the arm and platter motor...

As owner of both, I agree.

...I would consider if necessary attempting to pull the arm assembly and pillar base but not attempt disassembly of the arm pillar myself.

As it looks like I may have some spare arms, if need be, perhaps a transplant could be performed.

kcc123
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi Pio1980,

I had a PS-X70 before but it was broken some years ago. So I got rid of the turntable and kept the arm. The PUA-7 tonearm has an effective mass of about 25 grams so it is not really a good idea to partner it with a high compliance cartridge like a Shure V15-IV, a Denon 103 or 103R will do it nicely. I have noticed that the headshell on your PUA-7 is not the original carbon filled one which weighs about 12 grams. Consequently, the effective mass of your arm is probably less, but still on the high side.

albowlly
09-14-2010, 09:39 PM
You guys keep leaving the X65 out of the discussion. Same base as the X75 but with the PUA 7 arm. The two I have have been without issue. I also picked up an X700 with issues that is very different animal altogether.

Pio1980
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Played a couple test records thru the Shure and tho' not familiar with either I can say that first I get the sense that this 'table/arm combo is the most neutral I've personally handled/used, seemingly needing no mods to improve it or comp for defective or compromised design. Second, I've finally heard a TOTL Shure V-15 make music with sensitivity and dynamics intact. Nice! Too bad the tip is all used up and needs replacement. That makes one Type III and one Type IV in the needy cart box along with 2 Grados and several others.
This TT sonically intrigues me in the same musically satisfying way as the SL-7 and I will pursue it further, mounting a fresh cart. It's arm situation is still TBD. Fwiw, the cable capacitance is ca 95 pF from plug to T4 socket.

KrisM
09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
How well did the arm balance with the Shure on it? My X70 came with a VIII, but the tracking weight was so heavy it crushed the cantilever enough that the bottom of the cart was riding on the record. When I tried to balance the arm I had to put the weight almost all the way to back. Far enough that I couldn't screw the weight to dial it in. I've since acquired the extra weight that was missing with my table, and should be able to use the VIII when I get my speed issues figured out.

Sam Cogley
09-15-2010, 11:27 AM
How well did the arm balance with the Shure on it? My X70 came with a VIII, but the tracking weight was so heavy it crushed the cantilever enough that the bottom of the cart was riding on the record. When I tried to balance the arm I had to put the weight almost all the way to back. Far enough that I couldn't screw the weight to dial it in. I've since acquired the extra weight that was missing with my table, and should be able to use the VIII when I get my speed issues figured out.

My PS-X50 came with a V15 VI on the headshell and the extra weight in back. It balanced fine, but I never have ordered a new stylus for the Shure.

Pio1980
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
No prob balancing the arm with the V-IV and the single movable balance weight here, the cart was mounted on a lo-mass composite platform head. I just this morning replaced the IV with a Digitrac 200 NE on the lo-mass platform head and also mounted a new DENON DL-110 on a Kenwood KD-550 headshell, both of which I'd been saving for something special. Hopefully, this is it. I'll get a chance to audition them later. I set the overhang with an Ortofon mirrored protractor, optomising the inner scale.

KrisM
09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm looking forward to your impressions.

thedelihaus
09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Played a couple test records thru the Shure and tho' not familiar with either I can say that first I get the sense that this 'table/arm combo is the most neutral I've personally handled/used, seemingly needing no mods to improve it or comp for defective or compromised design...This TT sonically intrigues me in the same musically satisfying way as the SL-7 and I will pursue it further, mounting a fresh cart. It's arm situation is still TBD...

It's in my top three "everyman audiophile" tables- meaning there are a good amount of them out there, they are pricey but not too much so, and they offer great performance.

While the Sony PS-X9 is better, you'll pay a 10x premium for it. And the rare-ish PS-8750 is most likely an equal to the X70, if just marginally better, and prices are outright foolish for them now- plus most have faulty X-Tal circuits. A great table at $350-$400, but the insane $700-$1000 prices the last two were listed at (and didn't sell, btw) are grossly bloated.

What I'm saying is the X70 will give you performance that reflects 80%, perhaps 90% of the top models that came out of Japan, for a typical selling price of $200-$300, while these rare tables are selling for $700 to $2000-$4000 and up.

While it won't be a Pioneer Exclusive P3 or P3a, or a Sony PS-X9, or Kenwood L-07d, or Denon DP-100M, these tables command extremely high prices and are also rare as hen's teeth- plus some parts are un-obtanium.

The X-70 is the smart and frugal audiophile's choice.

...the tracking weight was so heavy it crushed the cantilever enough that the bottom of the cart was riding on the record....

The suspension in the cart was probably dry-rotted.

But... you could always use a low-mass headshell to reduce the tonearm's effective mass.:thmbsp:

...also mounted a new DENON DL-110 on a Kenwood KD-550 headshell, both of which I'd been saving for something special. Hopefully, this is it.....

The DL-110 is a bit more compliant than a DL-160; however, the DL-160 is a perfect match, in my opinion, for the PUA arm. The 110 hopefully will perform as admirably.

MWalt
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Hey Deli, are you sure that the 110 is more compliant than the 160? I thought it was the other way around. I am probably wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time. At any rate, I love the DL-110 on my Sony PS-X6 which isn't quite as nice as the X70. In fact, I like the Denon DL-110 so much that I just did an impulse buy and bought a DL-160!

thedelihaus
09-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Hey Deli, are you sure that the 110 is more compliant than the 160? I thought it was the other way around. I am probably wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time...

I'm not sure- I think it is, but it may be me who's backwards here.

Hey Deli, are you sure that the 110 is more compliant than the 160? I thought it was the other way around. I am probably wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time. At any rate, I love the DL-110 on my Sony PS-X6 which isn't quite as nice as the X70. In fact, I like the Denon DL-110 so much that I just did an impulse buy and bought a DL-160!

I was gonna let you know I have two new ones here....:smoke:

MWalt
09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I was gonna let you know I have two new ones here....:smoke:

Dude! Come on man:tears:

thedelihaus
09-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Dude! Come on man:tears:

Patience is a virtue....:yes:

KrisM
09-15-2010, 04:35 PM
"The suspension in the cart was probably dry-rotted.

But... you could always use a low-mass headshell to reduce the tonearm's effective mass."

That and the guy I bought it from had the counter weight at an un-godly weight. I didn't have a scale at the time to measure it though.
I grabbed a Sony headshell that is lighter, so with that and the extra weight from my X55, I should be able to get the Shure V15III up and running when I get to the speed issues on my X70
Anybody here use the Shure V15III on a Sony PS-X55? That has become my main table for the time being.

Pio1980
09-15-2010, 09:43 PM
It's in my top three "everyman audiophile" tables- meaning there are a good amount of them out there, they are pricey but not too much so, and they offer great performance.

While the Sony PS-X9 is better, you'll pay a 10x premium for it. And the rare-ish PS-8750 is most likely an equal to the X70, if just marginally better, and prices are outright foolish for them now- plus most have faulty X-Tal circuits. A great table at $350-$400, but the insane $700-$1000 prices the last two were listed at (and didn't sell, btw) are grossly bloated.

What I'm saying is the X70 will give you performance that reflects 80%, perhaps 90% of the top models that came out of Japan, for a typical selling price of $200-$300, while these rare tables are selling for $700 to $2000-$4000 and up.

While it won't be a Pioneer Exclusive P3 or P3a, or a Sony PS-X9, or Kenwood L-07d, or Denon DP-100M, these tables command extremely high prices and are also rare as hen's teeth- plus some parts are un-obtanium.

The X-70 is the smart and frugal audiophile's choice.

<snip>

What a recommendation!
What are the other 2 TT's in this "everyman audiophile" class?

I get a just-perceptable freeplay rattle from the pillar bearings when the arm/pivot is moved horizontally in any direction, it is very very slightly perceptable and produces an audible sound. Is this normal for these or do I need to consider a replacement?

Thnx again!:thmbsp:

thedelihaus
09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
What a recommendation!
What are the other 2 TT's in this "everyman audiophile" class?...

Well, the Sony PS-X50/60/70 is one. I'm also a big fan of the SL-1200MK2, when modded, and it's studio brother, the SP25. The third- I'm working on getting a spare, for parts- I'll let you know afterwards- otherwise I may drive prices up on myself.:yes:

...I get a just-perceptable freeplay rattle from the pillar bearings when the arm/pivot is moved horizontally in any direction, it is very very slightly perceptable and produces an audible sound...

Too much freeplay rattle produces jitter in the signal path. Over time, many bearing type tone arms develop this and need adjustment.

One must be careful adjusting, however, as to not crush the bearings or strip the often very soft metal pivot screws.

Let me see if I get any rattle from mine. I'll need a few days at least- boku busy at work.

Is it the vertical up-down bearings that the arm tube see-saws on, you think, or the bearings that the whole armature rotate on?

Pio1980
09-15-2010, 10:34 PM
It's the pillar bearings the whole arm rotates upon and they appear to be fixed/non-adjustable, the adjustable verticals seem just perfect. I did the horizontal axis bearings in the 1600MKII, they had just-perceptable freeplay. Technics apparently seals the adjustments on these arms at the factory, not fun. The verticals were perfect.

GreatTone
09-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I almost bought a PS-X70 last year from a guy on CL. I esp fell in love with the pix of that arm, and really wanted it, but thought the asking price of $350 was a little too high. The table looked great, but I didn't relish the thought of 35-year-old electronics/lube, and figured it would need help soon. For a good deal less money, I ended up with my current TT, which is a bit of a Frankenstein monster, but which I am quite content with. It has the drive/platter from a Kenwood KD-5066, and the arm from a PS-X6. One of the selling points was that all the parts had been cleaned/relubed/refurbished -- including the arm/headshell rewired with Cardas wire. The PS-X6 arm is pretty basic compared to the PUA-7, but the TT really does sound great. I can only imagine how excellent a sound you could get from a PS-X70 that was running nicely.

Sam Cogley
09-16-2010, 08:58 PM
The wire in my X50 doesn't look as nice as the X70 or X75. I dismantled an X75 with bad Biotracer electronics and used the Sony headshell socket and fancy Litz wire in my Frankensteined AR XA arm.

Pio1980
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I decided to have a 'go' at the damaged & scarred dust cover with a similar approach I used on a Philco Predicta CRT pod and the results have exceeded any reasonable expectations, so it appears I'll be able to rescue it and make it look acceptable if not minty perfect. I gained a fair amount of experience with this rescuing and de-opasticising sun-damaged motorcycle instruments back when I was bottom-feeding for my rides.

Pio1980
09-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm following up with a car polish from KIT called 'Scratch Out' and getting very good results with the usual point-of-diminishing-returns to anticipate. So there will be no need for a replacement cover.

Pio1980
09-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I am still working out the arm issues which are YTBD.
A trial run with the Digitrac 200 NE replacing the worn-out Shure V-15 IV was most gratifying, showing the most musically involving promise since using the Digi in a Technics SL-7.

Pio1980
09-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Put the DL-110 in the Kenwood KD-550 headshell on the X70 this morning and spun Sheffield's "Growing Up in Hollywood Town" and side 2 of Pure Prairie League's "Busting Out" (Falling in and out of Love/Aimee, Ect). Next up will be Ricky Lee Jones' debut LP.
TVK has it right, an MC cart is absolute stunning musical magic on this thing, WOW!
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X70.html

This is the "driest" sounding (in a good way) turntable set-up I've ever personally used, it seem to neither contribute or take away anything from what's on the record in the way of resonances, acoustic/vibrational interactions, or other colorations euphonic or otherwise. While I'm not a fan of pivoted arms, this combo with this arm is very, very good indeed and has a place as an appropriate platform for moving coil carts. I think the DL-103M presently residing effectively in dead storage, unused, on the HK-T-60 may eventually become the front end of this set-up.

thedelihaus
09-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Fantastic!

Pio1980
09-26-2010, 05:06 PM
One thing that this set-up lacks is that euphonic analogue "vagueness" that some folk seem to like, as with spherical tipped stylii and sloppy-soft so-called "tube sound". It is very focused and precise without added hardness as associated with "digital sound". I'm using a reworked console tube amp in this system that definitely does not sound vaseline-on-lens 'tube-y'.