View Full Version : Hitachi....Huh?

jjohnson
09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I have too many turntables which is probably not uncommon on this forum.:D Yesterday, I was feeling pleased with myself for selling off one of the flock and look what falls into my hands, purely by accident. I guess that I knew Hitachi made turntables but I would have thought them to have been made for the budget conscious consumer. This is a Hitachi HT-561. It has a nick or scrape here and there and the cover could use a good buffing, but I can't believe the build quality. It is heavy and very large. It appears to be of similar build quality to some of the Denons of the same era. By the way, it sounds fantastic. Just for purposes of size, that is a 50 lb Pioneer amplifier next to it.:thmbsp:

http://media.use.com/images/s_2/470f6b01ed76168409c9_1.jpg (http://www.use.com/470f6b01ed76168409c9?p=1)
http://media.use.com/images/s_2/470f6b01ed76168409c9_2.jpg (http://www.use.com/470f6b01ed76168409c9?p=2)
http://media.use.com/images/s_2/470f6b01ed76168409c9_3.jpg (http://www.use.com/470f6b01ed76168409c9?p=3)

bobaloniny
09-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Nice looking tt, is it dd? Never would have considered such an offering from Hitachi, but then I never would have from Toshiba either till I stumbled over my SR-410, more or less the same idea as your Hitachi, huge, nice wood thing happening, looks to be a nice arm. Wonder how your search for info is progressing..ended up having to actually fork out for an om, just nothing out there on alot of these.
Regardless of paperwork or none, seems this subcategory of tt are way under the radar, bravo for giving that Hitachi a chance.

reyneman
09-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I used an Hitachi TT back in the late 70s, not as upmarket as that, though.
It was a decent deck.

During that period, Hitachi was just starting to brand their own equipment, most of their equipment was OEM (look at your vintage Japanese tuner, will find that Hitachi half gear symbol more than likely).

Of course, that was a long time ago, my memory could be faulty. Do know the Kenwood 9600 I owned back then had Hitachi chips throughout the tuner section.

Balifly
09-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Very nice looking turntable!!!:thmbsp:
Here is a bit of information from the Japanese Heritage site.
Most browser would translate on request.

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/LO-D/player/ht-561.html

ETI_5000
09-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Looks great. Considering that it weighs 12kg, I'd expect excellent performance from it. Most of the Hitachi DD turntables I've seen reviews for tested very well in comparison to other turntables of the late-70's to mid-80's. I have an issue of Stereo Buyer's Guide Turntables from 1979, and all three of the Hitachi DD models tested had equal or better measured rumble than the (more expensive) Technics SL-1200Mk2 tested by the same magazine in 1981, so they were all excellent performers. Hitachi used to advertise that their unitorque DD motors eliminated cogging, so they were (in their opinion) better than other DD turntables.

Their belt drive turntables weren't bad, either - I can remember seeing a review of a really cheap one, and the reviewer couldn't believe how good the performance was for the price. From memory it was the cheapest turntable they'd ever tested, but certainly nowhere near the worst!:thmbsp:

Jody Thornton
09-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I am dehydrating from drooling too much - my gawd. From the pictures, it reminds me of the Technics M-1 table sold on Audioscpe. It has the S-shaped arm on it.

I have to find me a table like that.

Zingem
09-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Great score!
About a week ago I missed out on a lovely DD by ... NEC. Let's be glad these unexpected discoveries still exist. Most of the stuff we dream about fetch hefty prices these days. TT's one could buy for 50 euro's or less, just one or two years ago, nowadays gets offered for 200 or more!

jjohnson
09-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the comments and information guys. I couldn't be more happy. I also own a Mitsubishi LT-22 that seems to fly under the radar. It's fun to find great, unknown gear for cheap.

reneborg
09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
That table looks great! Congrats on finding it and I'm sure you'll be able to cope with having another TT appear. I have the same problem ... some go, and it seems just as many come in. And you're right about under the radar ... I think there are a lot of nice TTs out there from some of the lesser known brands.

If I'm not mistaken, the tonearm on that looks similar to what's on the Technics D-2.

Oh, and I noticed you've a Mitsubishi LT-22. I think that's a different (black?) trimmed/colored version of the model I have - the LT-20. Until recently, that LT-20 was king of the TT hill around here. I really like that table!

Enjoy!

BrocLuno
09-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I'd certainly keep the Hit :) And sell a bunch of the others.

Big Bill
09-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Scroe!

Cogsinister
09-25-2010, 11:36 AM
What a fine TT !

Looks solid and well built....can never have enough Turntables of that sort of quality...

clanceypants
04-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Just found one of these at the thrift store in town. I too have a handful of TT's, but couldn't pass this one up ($5.00). It was quite dirty, but cleaned up pretty well. Two minor problems with it so far. The dust cover is missing the hinges, I searched the store and couldn't find them anywhere. I'll have to try and find something to replace them with if this becomes a regular player for me. Secondly,and more importantly, the stylus is severely bent. I really don't know much about cartridges, so I am posting here for assistance. I took a picture of it as best as I could. My camera didn't want to take any really up close pictures, so i'll describe it. The cartridge has a black body and the stylus attachment that pops off is white. If you look at the cartridge head on it has a metal face that has "D M" written in cursive on it. If anybody knows what this brand is it would really help aid me in locating a replacement stylus. I'm getting ready to hook this thing up and see how it plays. Thanks in advance for any info about the stylus.

Cogsinister
04-20-2011, 04:43 PM
What a superb five bucks worth !

clanceypants
04-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I'm happy. I bent the stylus back to where it belongs and hooked it up It works good, I'm playing a junk record (in case the stylus is messed up). It sounds good though. It was a good day. I think this may replace my technics mk2. I really like the way it looks. I'll have to spin them both for awhile to see which sounds best

BrocLuno
04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Excellent :)

hakaplan
04-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Beautiful tt. The cartridge is an AT. Some pics of the side and the underside will help confirm, but I believe it is a clone of an AT-12Sa--also not too shabby! Even if it turns out to be a cheap aftermarket needle, it could be upgraded to that stylus.

mythless
04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I have that exact same needle, I remember Howard indicating it was an AT-11.

libertycaps
04-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Looks an awful lot like my JVC QL-Y3F. Bet it sounds sweet. Nice grab. :thmbsp:

markshan
04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
For $5 you should have picked up a half dozen!

clanceypants
04-21-2011, 12:41 AM
thanks everybody for responding. I never would have guessed it was an AT cartridge, but I know nothing about cartridges. The stylus was bent bad enough that I could see a crack in the metal needle. I will only play records that are replaceable for now. It sounds great now, but I have no trust in the needle. I will do some searching on the web to see if any AT cartridges match the ones mentioned above. I was running a AT440Mla cart on my technics so I'm sure that could be mounted on the Hitachi headshell, and probably will. It sounds good and I really like it a lot more visually than the technics 1200mk2 I was running before. I know the wood finish on it is fake, but I really like it. Oh and did I mention it sounds great. Pretty excited over here.
P.S
I will try and get some better pics of the styus/cartridge for those that have helped w/ identification....might be a few days as I will have to borrow a camera... happy second hand record/audio gear hunting to you AK'ers as the season is upon us. Second hand gear/tunes are great

clanceypants
04-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Well after your suggestions and a few beers it appears I may have found a replacement stylus for my new fav. TT on ebay for $15.00. I'm not going to pull the trigger on this stylus yet, but it looks right. Thanks for the info and advice you have given me. I'm rocking the table right now w/ the damaged stylus and loving it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290493428334&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_3131wt_905

Such A great day!

tubeboob
08-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Been doing some searching on vintage TTs, and this Hitachi HT-561 sure is a seductive beast.

Would love to get my ears on one of those.

Cheers

Balifly
08-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Get it if you can.

Their 1982 flagship turn table. :thmbsp:

GerardG
08-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Been doing some searching on vintage TTs, and this Hitachi HT-561 sure is a seductive beast.

Would love to get my ears on one of those.

Cheers

My father runs a HT-561 through a Marantz 2245. A lovely looking and beautifully performing TT as well as a good match for the Marantz.

Gerard