View Full Version : Light bulbs for Technics SA-5170 dial?

uxwbill
10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I spent the weekend cleaning up my Technics SA-5170 receiver. After cleaning all the knobs and every last inch of the interior, the chassis could almost pass for new once again. The cabinet has been abused in spots and is missing some of the underlying pressboard. I don't know what I will do about that--probably nothing.

One of the dial lights is burned out. It's a fuse style bulb. I can't find my multimeter now (and don't have the service manual just yet) so I don't know what the specifics are. Funny thing is, the dial still looks nice and evenly lit.

Does anyone here know what bulbs are called for and where a good place to get them is?

SuperZ
10-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I have a SA-5560 all three lamps (festoons) are gone.. I am replacing them
with festoon style blue 6 LED's that are used in auto applications.. Less heat
less draw.. They come in white and all colors and are the exact size as the
original incandescent lamps.. Just measure your lamps and go on Ebay..
I will post pics of the new lamps in operation when they get here..

SuperZ

bobc47
06-11-2011, 02:00 PM
All Electronics has some 12v fuse lamps for $0.70 ea that should work. I just ordered 6 of them for my SA-5170.

Mouser also sells what looks looks to be a good replacement #560-A3175B
Lamp Base Type: Fuse Style
Lamp Size: T -2
Voltage: 12 V
Current 0.15a
Life Hours: 5000 Hrs

I spent the weekend cleaning up my Technics SA-5170 receiver.

Does anyone here know what bulbs are called for and where a good place to get them is?

70WR
06-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I recently did some recapping and lamp replacements and found an assortment of lamps/LEDs at Fry's electronics. Although what I did was a Yammy CR-840, the bulbs in put in 14v instead of 12v. Didn't seem to dim them much, and hope the 14v will last in placement of 12v. So if you have a Frys nearby and don't want to order on line.

I found it odd that on the main faceplate, the bulbs are in series, I'd pull one and another would go out. Kind of like what happens to x-mas lights. The ones from the receiver had green silicon rubber slip on covers that go over the bulbs to provide the greenish hue when on. I had thought about going LED, but for no reason didn't. I only did this Yammy because all the exterior is still pristine looking condition.