View Full Version : Good Bass Reference Songs

Promo
02-26-2005, 05:49 PM
What songs do you all use to test the bass response on speakers?
I use these to make sure the woofers or subs can go all the way down:
Grand Funk Railroad - Mr. Limousine Driver
Dollar - Who Were You With In the Moonlight?
Bee Gees - Nights On Broadway

botrytis
02-26-2005, 05:55 PM
I like a song from Bela Flek and the Flektones CD Outbound "Hoedown". It gives the bass a real work out and also if the speakers are not fast enough - it sounds very bloated and wierd.

Dave

dingus
02-26-2005, 05:58 PM
"Burn Down The Mission" from "Tumbleweed Connection" by Elton John
"Underwater" from "Breathe" by Midnight Oil

Ski
02-26-2005, 06:04 PM
"Verb, What's a Happening" by Moby
"Erotic City" by George Clinton

Retro Stereo
02-26-2005, 06:17 PM
"The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel

That song stretches the pleated woofers on my HPM 100's pretty good! :yes:

Retro

mhardy6647
02-26-2005, 06:48 PM
"Way Down Deep" by Jennifer Warnes, on her CD "The Hunter". Unbelievable 'percussion' (for lack of a better word) and well-recorded.

Also a good 'torture test' for systems: "Three o'clock Blues" on the BB King/Eric Clapton CD "Riding with the King".

Zeke
02-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Anything from Bruce Hornsby's live 2-CD set "Here Come the Noisemakers". It sounds like a live Hornsby concert -- quite similar to the Grateful Dead in tonal quality and mix -- and places a high emphasis on being able to resolve bass complexity.

I dig it. :smoke:

dingus
02-26-2005, 09:54 PM
i had forgotten a good one,

"Time" from "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd

Jovinyl
02-26-2005, 10:21 PM
the Who ---MAGIC BUS
WEST, Bruce + Laing---THE DOCTOR
COLD BLOOD---I JUST WANT TO MAKE LOVE TO YOU

Mr. Snoid
02-26-2005, 10:33 PM
"Hot Fun", Stanley Clark, School Days will definitely test low end response. Step back and watch those woofs jump!

Andrew

drz01
02-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Vangelis Jerusalem, Battlestar Galatica from Time Warp, the first one has an organ that is sweet if your speaker can produce it , the second one its opening is so powerfull it breaks many speakers if played loud.

styler
02-26-2005, 11:00 PM
the E. Power Biggs Bach's Organ Works... sensational, also Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man

Tripqzon
02-26-2005, 11:01 PM
I also like Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. Play track 4 from the "Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo" cd. It's the title track. It will also give your woofers a workout.
I can rattle my walls with my HPM-100's with less than 3 watts and tone contols "off". Very low bass.

Ther are other songs also on the cd that will make your woofers slap you in the chest. Pretty awesome. They will definitely catch you off guard if your not familiar with the cd and you turn up the volume some. Definitely try it.

Hope that helps.

Paul

vega ls-12
02-26-2005, 11:21 PM
runnin with the devil by van-halen,,, really test the accuracy in the first minute or so,,with a strong bass line to start

LPD
02-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Holly Cole Trio "Don't smoke in bed".

Michael Scarpit
02-26-2005, 11:30 PM
What songs do you all use to test the bass response on speakers?
I use these to make sure the woofers or subs can go all the way down:
Grand Funk Railroad - Mr. Limousine Driver
Dollar - Who Were You With In the Moonlight?
Bee Gees - Nights On Broadway

Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000I3JM/qid=1109481889/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl15/102-2646253-0258535?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palace/5216/Rooftops.htm

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palace/5216/

loudsubz
02-27-2005, 12:54 AM
from the IASCA cd - Moon with rebel bass

OvenMaster
02-27-2005, 04:27 AM
No Doubt - It's My Life. The drums and bass riff throughout the song show up any weaknesses in my present system-in-flux... especially when I have the amp turned up to like 11 o'clock and my KEFs are singing at full voice.:thmbsp:

Just make sure it's a full-bore CD track. Even an MP3 ripped at 320kB/sec will have degradation and distortion in the bass, and the highs in the vocals and snares and cymbals will really suffer. Believe me, I know.:thumbsdn:

Tom

Aldo
02-27-2005, 09:39 PM
"Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen always worked for me.......

vintage_silver
02-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Grand Funk's "Survival" LP. Lot's of Bass.

dingus
02-27-2005, 11:44 PM
also the first track on Sliverchair's "Frog Stomp"

kwmrlg
02-28-2005, 02:11 AM
Band - a perfect circle
CD - The 13th step
Track 1

It makes my house shake :cool:

Wireworm5
02-28-2005, 03:54 AM
Rob Zombie- Reload, you should hear a sonic boom about 10 seconds into the song that should get any dogs within earshot barking. :thmbsp:

Toasted Almond
02-28-2005, 01:10 PM
The Magnificent Seven Theme, and How the West Was Won, both from the "Round-Up" cd on the Telarc label.

Mr Natural
02-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's Recless Daughter - Overture/Cotton Avenue
Lowest notes EVER recorded by Jaco Pastorious.

ELP - Tank. Used by Cerwin Vega to first introduce/audition their speakers at the audio shows. Was fun being pushed around the room by sound pressure waves :D

dgwojo
02-28-2005, 08:17 PM
I just cranked my Altec A7's this evening with some Van Morrison, "Into the Mystic" on the Moondance CD, it blew my wife and I away. I had to turn the bass down to 9 O'clock to keep the 515 woofers from moving the cabinets across the floor!! The 511B horns and 515 woofs just sing with that song, we had to replay it again for the experience!! I think that song was used in the "American Wedding" movie.

How about Chris Isaack's "Wicked Games"??
:guitar:

gearhead
02-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Reverend Horton Heat-Time to Pray, from the album It's Martini Time. :smoke:

Top Cat
02-28-2005, 09:47 PM
ZZ Top: Eliminator -- Gimme All Your Lovin, Got Me Under Pressure, Sharp Dressed Man (esp. the LP);

Arlen: Uptown -- Let's Fall In Love, the combination of the harmonics created by the piano, stand-up bass, and guitar will reveal whether your system can recreate bass accurately (Telarc CD)

dingus
02-28-2005, 09:54 PM
holy crap, i never knew this before today. anything by The Who.

TroyD
03-01-2005, 08:25 AM
1812 overature - Telarc
William Tell Overature - also on the Round-Up CD from Telarc

The Great Fantasy Adventure Album (also Telarc) - Tracks 3 and 20 (sound from Jurassic Park)

BDT

rek50
03-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Santana-Batuka, Robert Palmer-Riptide,Riptide(Reprise), Lee Michaels-Stormy Monday, Fleetwood Mac-Tusk

sanyofreak
03-01-2005, 10:16 AM
The theme song from the orginal soundtrack "2001:A space oddysey", this short fanfare has a pipe organ note played throughout the entire track, was told once that it is the lowest note that only a handful of organs in the world can produce. It is actually inaudible at 16Hz, but it is there, and very, very few systems can even attempt it. Ported boxes have no chance, wild flapping is about all that happens. Be careful with this one. With most systems, this is not even there.
Styx has a short synthesizer intro on their "pieces of eight" album titled "the Message", very low synth bass that most speakers I've ever had could not do without distorting. These examples have extremely low notes, that really dont apply to most music at all.
When it comes to really testing how well I think systems can do with bass, I always turn to the first two albums from Gary Wright - "the dreamweaver" and "the Light of Smiles" - both of these albums are almost completely early synthesizer for all of the instrument parts, and the bass lines are loud, deep and dynamic, as well as really good and uplifting music. The best part of Gary's stuff here is that although the bass is played on a keyboard, it is skillfully styled after how it would sound on a bass guitar. I always find myself turning the volume control to the right (Wright) when these two albums are on.

Johnny
03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I like Diana Kralls "This Cant Be Love" - Great walking bass line, sounds so real on my Polks its scary. I take this cd with me if I'm going to audition speakers.

J

chris denyer
03-01-2005, 01:00 PM
The boy with the arab strap- from album of same name by Belle and Sebastian.

Cleve
03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Cliff Martinez's soundtrack to the movie "Solaris" - Track 9 - "Wear Your Seatbelt" Some phenomenal, cinematic deep bass transients - I have a software analyzer that I ran it through - and it has strong bass down to the analyzer's cutoff of 22 hz. Probably deeper than that. Great test of a speaker's bass handling.

SixCats!
03-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi all,

Ummmm...for BASS...I would have to recommend JOHN CALE's album "GUTS!" (and the song of the same title). Also...B-52's ROCK LOBSTER!
Of course, you can't go wrong with THE WHO "My Generation!".

Regards,
SixCats!

onwardjames
03-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Band - a perfect circle
CD - The 13th step
Track 1

It makes my house shake "

Not sure who posted that, but they are correct. The BEST damn bass guitar I've ever heard. Perhaps some sort of bass synth, but ridiculous dynamics on that track.

I've stated this before but Iced Earth's bonus disc from "The Glorious Burden" has a track called Gettysburg, actually the last (#3) cut, and it has cannons, big strings, the WORKS. VERY impressive.

For sheer depth and a nasty crescendo, try "The Planet Krypton" by John Williams, from Superman. I have an IASCA disc with that track. Pipe organ down to 18 hz. PHEWW!!!!

And yes, the Who always rocks!

daddydlb
03-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Paul McCartney and Wings...Let Me Roll It. Back in 1975 a buddy had pair of Altec VOT's, SAE amp and pre, 50 watt, but during that song it shook the stove pipe off the floorstanding heater. Soot all over. Good bass test.

Gene Simmons
03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
And the obvious - Se7en Nation Army by the White Stripes..

styler
03-15-2005, 12:44 PM
tony levin

fropiler
03-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Prodigal Son by Billy Idol
What a Shame About Me by Steely Dan
Dragon Attack by Queen
Disconnected by Queensryche (anything off of Promised land or Empire)
6 o clock by Dream Theater
Whispers and Moans by Crowded House

piece-it pete
03-15-2005, 12:59 PM
How about Beastie Boys' "Intergalactic Planetary"? I don't think I've got another track that's got more steady output below 50 hz, this got my subs jumping more, much more, than anything else I've got.

Though Bachs' "Fugue in D Minor" is no slouch. And Bowies' "Little Wonder" is a wonder :) .

Pete

crooner
03-15-2005, 01:05 PM
"Fat Bottom Bass", I mean "Fat Bottom Girls" :D by Queen. The original LP has killer bass. I had a picture on my wall collapse to the floor once. And this was wayyy before my newest power beast SX-1980!

SPL db
03-15-2005, 01:42 PM
John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe - whole CD

Scott

fropiler
03-15-2005, 02:33 PM
John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe - whole CD

Scott

You should hear that Alan Parsons on 200g Mobile Fidelity vinyl!

First time I listened there was an approaching thunderstorm outside for real, talk about surreal experience!

billbillw
03-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Prodigal Son by Billy Idol
What a Shame About Me by Steely Dan
Dragon Attack by Queen
Disconnected by Queensryche (anything off of Promised land or Empire)
6 o clock by Dream Theater
Whispers and Moans by Crowded House

God, I almost forgot about Prodigal Son, back in the early 90s I used that song to tune my home built car audio sub boxes. Sounded great with four 8" subs mounted in an isobaric configuration.

Here's a few others:
Massive Attack-Angel (from Mezzanine) has constant powerfull low bass pulse/thump throughout the song. I used it when auditioning subwoofers a few years back. Makes most cheap subs cry.

U2-Tryin to throw your arms around the world (from Achtung Baby) has a powerful melodic bass line throughout the song that hovers around the resonant frequency of many smaller subs and can bring out the worst.

crooner
03-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Santana's "Oye Como Va" comes to mind.

Holly Cole's "I Can See Clearly Now" also has amazing bass.

Gene Simmons
03-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Depeche Mode's I Feel You is also pretty amazing, the lows give you goosebumps!

vintage_silver
03-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Also, Gary Glitter......Rock And Roll part I & II

jamnesta
03-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Maxwell-Embrya

aiconn
03-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Interlude, Track 3 on Music Of Espionage by SPIES.

theNoid
03-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Welps, being a bit of a bass-head I have to throw the ol trusty DJ Magic Mike in here for some SERIOUS subwoofer brutality testing. For more musical listening bass tests I have always liked:

Billy Idol's Prodigal Son
Telarc's Bachbuster Tocatta and Fugue
Metallica's One (double bass drum riffs are intense)
Primus anything
the Mighty Mighty Pinkus Floydus
and many more I cannot think of right now...goodnight all.

Noidster

Tinitus
03-19-2005, 11:17 AM
David Byrne "A Million Miles Away" off the Uh-Oh CD. Like the song and the sentiment.

gonzp
03-19-2005, 01:14 PM
The Whole Me'Shell NdegéOcello
Peace Beyond Passion album :thmbsp:

Urizen
03-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Liquid Tension Experiment 2 (Tony "Papa Bear" Levin, John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Jordan Rudness) Track 3: "914"

http://www.yesiknow.com/lte/

Tapehead47
05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
If your bass can handle Weather Reports "Update" from the album "This is This" you have some fine kickers. I've never heard bass recorded with dynamics even close to this. It will implode your head.

Rick

crooner
05-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Quitting Time by the Roches from their groundbreaking 1979 release "The Roches". Nice tuneful bass lines thoroughout. Not earthshaking bass but musical.

rgrjit8
05-24-2006, 02:31 AM
You know, I would make myself nuts trying to hunt down all these suggestions.

Isn't there someone here who could burn them onto CDs and sell them, with a portion going to AK?

I would gladly pay real money for something like this. :banana:

Come on! There's gotta be someone up to the task!

crooner
05-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Good idea. however, there's the everpresent copyright issue.... :nono:

You know, I would make myself nuts trying to hunt down all these suggestions.

Isn't there someone here who could burn them onto CDs and sell them, with a portion going to AK?

I would gladly pay real money for something like this. :banana:

Come on! There's gotta be someone up to the task!

Dynacophil
05-24-2006, 04:33 AM
Paquito D'rivera - Portraits of Cuba
1. la bella cubana
8. excerpts of "aires tropicaes"
and the rest of this beautiful recording

Afro Celt Sound System

Organ recordings as i have
Saint-Saëns: Complete Organ Works, Vol. 2
Haydn--The 6 Organ Concertos D1
Froberger, Johann Jacob, Orgelwerke

Whatever1
05-24-2006, 06:22 AM
how about "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath.

technut
05-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Stevie Wonder-she's a bad mamma jamma
No Doubt-hella good
Dr. Dre-deez nuts
Ray Charles & Norah jones-here we go again

meggy
05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds /
Tracks 1 & 2 : Obscured By Clouds, When You're In.

Guaranteed

titanstats
05-24-2006, 08:21 PM
The Crystal Method -- "High Roller" (will shred lesser gear at volume)
Fun Lovin' Criminals -- "Scooby Snacks"
Beastie Boys -- "Open Letter to NYC"
Beastie Boys -- mostly anything from "The In Sound From Way Out"

bully
05-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Lowrider, by War.
Tubular Bells will knock your socks off, and test every aspect of your stereo system, not just the speakers.

Dusty Chalk
05-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Einstürzende Neubauten, "Sabrina", from Silence is Sexy.

If my friend did it correctly, it goes down to 8 Hz. Might be with a subharmonic synthesizer, but I still have a feel for what it should sound like based on having listened to it on so many different systems, and having heard them play it live twice.

brainsmasher
05-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Prong - Snap your fingers snap your neck
Yellow - Oh yeah, Think Ferris Beuller

Inspiribomb
05-25-2006, 07:00 PM
I'd be amazed if anyone has heard this one...

Rabbit in the Moon - Dubassex

This one really gets the power meters jumpin.

Dusty Chalk
05-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Yello - "Oh Yeah", think Ferris BeullerI corrected the spelling of the band.

Dynacophil
05-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Prong - Snap your fingers snap your neck
Yellow - Oh yeah, Think Ferris Beuller

Yello - oh yeah

is really a bass test, complete "Baby" disk is great (as a lot others of great Yello recordings...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yello)

Parky50
05-26-2006, 04:29 AM
John Digweed - Techno...

Scary Bass :yikes:

Jim Eck
05-26-2006, 05:49 AM
The extended version of Peter Gunn by Henry Mancini. Great bass guitar intro then into the usual Peter Gunn with a much more Jazz like lead solo.

Jim

ToTo Man
05-26-2006, 06:03 AM
'Bottom of Your Soul' by Toto. HUGE AMOUNT of bass in that song, well down into the 20s Hz. My subs have been calibrated to be at the same volume as my main speakers, but on that song, my meters on my subs read twice as loud as the meters on the main speakers!

A good song for a 'thunderous' bass drum is the live version of 'Go Your Own Way' by Fleetwood Mac (from 'The Dance' album).

dnewma04
05-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Just about any song from Metallica's Black album will do the trick. ...And Justice for All had more more prominent kick drums (which are a real test for most woofers) but the quality of the recording was significantly worse than the Black Album.

I also like listening to the Skinny Puppy Rabies album for a good test of bass resolution. Lots of electronic bass/drum machines, many of which are very quick in succession and difficult for bad subs/woofers to reproduce.

There is Chris Cornell's Birth Ritual from the Singles Soundtrack.

Of course, Telarc 1812 Overture and just about any organ track.

Just for fun, if you can find a copy of Kooyanisqatsi (sp?) Soundtrack, it has amazing bass and makes for GREAT halloween music to scare little boys and girls.

Oh, and lastly. The Score from the movie the Crow is wonderful, as well. Big, deep bass from a large drum (sounds bigger and deeper than any bass drum i have heard previously).

dnewma04
05-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Would it be embarrassing to mention Techmaster PEB or DJ Magic Mike? lol.

Whatever1
05-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Did Metalica make any other album than the Black One ????

Filmboydoug
05-26-2006, 07:41 AM
One.

:)

dnewma04
05-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Sure...Ride the Lightning, Black, Master of Puppets, ...and Justice for all, Garage Days (with various editions), and then some that didn't really matter. This list in order of my personal preference, not release date.

piece-it pete
05-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Strange how when you think about it you can't remember some things but then, when testing new equipment, your fingers do the walking.

Such was how I remembered Nellie Furtados' "Party's Just Begun" off of the Brokedown Palaces' soundtrack.

If you've got room nodes/woofer problems/lack of bass you'll find out REAL quick.

Pete

mike hatt
05-26-2006, 11:59 AM
being a car audio nutcase, as well as someone who has four 12s and two fifteens in his apartment...

Bass mechanic the v5.0 cd has very nice lows. The music leaves something to be desired from an interesting point of view, but for bass it def gets the job done.

lil john, yeah..crap rap..and i like some rap but this is total crap rap..but his production style will hurt lots of lower quality woofers..i've blown a few playing songs like what they gon do and rep yo city.

Dream theater glass prison from the album six degrees of inner turbulance, not the loudest of all bass, or the lowest but great resolution, and punch kick drum plus its fast at parts.

Eagles hotel california, track six from the hell freezes over live album this is all round an awesome track, tests instrument placement, overall ballance, live pressence, and if your bored and want to see what a giant bongo/bass drum sounds like tonally, crank the bass on this track. When i tune a system for sound quality verses all out loudness, getting that huge drum to blend in with the mids and highs, can become a real pita, but it should be there..but not overpowering like i mostly have heard it.

Also, a few side notes.

1. i make my own music using higher quality equipment than just your basic computer software loop generator, so if anyone wants a bass track to test certain hz and frequency changes, pm me i'd be happy to make a few for ak members.

2. if someone just paid shipping would it still be in violation of copywrite lawws if i were to make cds of great demo tracks and send em out? As long as i am not billing for the music, just the cost of postage, is that still in violation?

Mike

mhardy6647
05-26-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't think Blue Man Group's "Music" CD was ever mentioned in this thread. Try it!

OldSkool
05-26-2006, 01:41 PM
How Long - Ace (Paul Carrack)

Year of the Cat - Al Stewart

House de Kris
05-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Just about any track off of Subtropic's "Homebrew" album has mighty impressive bass. Especially useful are his bass slides. Makes it a good yardstick for system comparisons. He does tend towards the lo-fi sound with a harsh and distorted top end, but the bass is great.

Another fun tune for putting a little locomotion into your sub drives is Optic Eye's "Aluf Null" song off the Quadruped V1 compilation. I've measured significant energy in the 3Hz range in the last minute of this song.

Just about any booty-bass ablum produced in Florida will have silly bass verging on ridiculous. Really, if you are into bass, you owe it to yourself to own at least one booty-bass disc. That stuff always makes me giggle.

1. i make my own music using higher quality equipment than just your basic computer software loop generator, so if anyone wants a bass track to test certain hz and frequency changes, pm me i'd be happy to make a few for ak members.

Glad you brought this up. I once recorded a song that turned out to be pretty much unplayable on most systems. The melody line stays under 34Hz throughout its entirety. Thus, this song requires lots of articulation at low frequencies. I've only found one system that allows you to determine the melody, most just make a mush of bass rumble. I think it would be pretty cool if an "AK Demo Disc" is put together by the members. We could have people contribute their extremely taxing tunes to test sound systems.

BTW, distribution for free still potentially deprives the copyright owner of revenue, so that doesn't fly (legally).

alwayslooking
05-27-2006, 08:02 AM
BTO- Not Fragile

Strangeband
05-27-2006, 08:40 AM
The song Burlesque by Family from the album "Bandstand" is one I use to check out how the bass sounds in a set of speakers. John Wetton is the bass player, plus the singer, Roger Chapman, starts off with a low growl.

Hillman
05-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Magic Man by Heart & Lucky Man by Emerson, Lake and Palmer come to mind. Another song I just listened to recently is Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy by Big and Rich. It had the woofs really moving some air.

wajobu
05-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Genesis...Afterglow...live recording from Seconds Out (vinyl)

Children of the Bong...most anything from...Sirius Sounds...prepare yourself and your woofer surrounds for some serious analog synth rumbles

Kraftwerk...Aerodynamik from the most recent Tour de France Soundtracks recording (it kicks!)

Then, of course, there is the opening of the soundtrack to Close Encounters of the Third Kind...thin strings...lingering...lingering...and then a full frequency burst from the orchestra and BASS...need some energy stored in those capacitors for that one!

onwardjames
05-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Sure...Ride the Lightning, Black, Master of Puppets, ...and Justice for all, Garage Days (with various editions), and then some that didn't really matter. This list in order of my personal preference, not release date.

I'm assuming you mean "Choad" and "Re-Choad" as the ones that don't matter. In that, you would be correct.

If you are purposely neglecting "Kill 'Em All", then sir, as a mattah of southern honor (using genteel southern gentleman voice) I request your presence out of doors, where we can settle this like men, haha.

Blooze
05-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Brian Bromberg - anything from the "Wood" Cd.

LowVoltage
05-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Gotta be .......Flim and the BB's, "Tricycle".The kick drum on any of the cuts on this CD, will very quickly show you what's up. Some of the local audio stores used it for demo in the 'old days'. This album was cut cut in 1982 and finally released in '85. It was one of the very first all digital recordings.

Mike

kenwood61
05-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I am listening with a big grin to my "new" old Boston Acoustic A150's with blown tweeters coupled with Advent Mini's (A+B) to get the full range. Okay, it's a quick fix until tomorrow when I can order replacements from BA or SEAS H1212's from Madisound . . . but the Advents help act as a crutch and so hopefully a new tweeter and NO Advents should be even better . . .

But I have never heard the bass sound so good on Andreas Vollenweider "Caverna Magica" with some super cool low bass. My old JBL L40's weren't even close. The bass on one song in particular is like the reverberation that just makes me grin.

Are the speakers too big for my 10x10 office? Right now, I don't think so :music:

Whatever1
06-03-2006, 05:25 PM
For good drums how about the 45 rpm version of Topsy Part 1 and 2

matt001
06-26-2006, 02:13 PM
About a girl- Nirvana
YYZ- Rush
As I am- Dream Theatre
Led Zeppelin- Black Dog
The Beatles- Day Tripper

herbman1975
06-26-2006, 03:56 PM
If you want to test your speakers, pick up a copy of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly from 1982.....

But if you want to test your BASS go about halfway through the 15th track of The Beastie Boys album Pauls Boutique - "B-Boy Bouillabaisse" is the name of the main track and "Hello Brooklyn" is the name of the sub-track. (Don't ask, very confusing arrangement on the last track of this record)

The note that will be emitted from your speakers is the lowest note I have ever heard. I turned on a couple of car audio guys to this album in high school and they all started using it to test out the gear in thier new installs.

It has to be close to the "brown note" portrayed in South Park that alledgedly is SO LOW when heard by the human ear it makes you poop your pants.

Also Rock the Bells by LL Cool J is a good one as well.

Peace :smoke:

blue_lateral
06-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Queen's "39" from "A night at the opera"
Alan Parsons Project "Mammagamma" from "Eye in the sky"
Alan Parsons Project "A dream within a dream/The raven" from "Tales of mystery and imagination". That last one has already been mentioned, but get the LP version. The CD has been remastered, and well..... hmmm... the bass might still be ok I guess.

the-real-mandak
06-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Lately I use Les Paul & Friends, a really good bottom played by Abe Laboriel Sr. (bass) and Abe Laboriel Jr. (drums). It is really easy to hear if the sub is muddy; the record goes thru a lot of different setups/styles (all blues of curse).

If I want to test my bass I use a tone generator with a sweep.

onepixel
06-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Caverna Magica is a good one. Try some ZZ Top for a good bass work out. Even better Stanley Clark's School Days.

reggaenaut
06-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Natty Dread- Bob Marley.

txsviking
06-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Better Days on Uncle Kracker's Double Wide CD.
I found out how great my AR-9's could sound with that one.

Kasra
06-27-2006, 03:12 PM
personally, i like well produced bass from a bass guitar than i do from a bass drum or anything that's a single pound.

i find it so much more enjoyable to hear the bass guitar in many yes songs, namely, i'm QUITE fond of "starship trooper/life seeker/disillusion/wurm" for the bass line. i love the feeling that you get out of that "buzzing" of a bass line from the very original sounding bass.

then again, i'm weird with bass, and i don't have too many expecations from the low frequencies. i personally think too much bass pulls away from the song, and it's a little out of place. this is a personal thing, mind you. i don't like feeling that the bass line may be cutting the higher frequencies. i'm cooky.

jmela
06-27-2006, 05:16 PM
'Fisherman' The Congos - Haunting reggae classic recently reissued and remastered by Blood & Fire, an English label putting out some great material.

'Hang On St. Christopher' Tom Waits - from 'Frank's Wild Years'

"Bob Marley: Dreams of Freedom" - A dub album remixing some of Marley's music. Great low end and not as sacrilegious a concept in execution as concept.

tanchiro58
06-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Most Sade CDs have good firm bass. I 'v always used these CDs to test my new amp and speakers for the deep low bass.

blownsi
06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Any car audio disc has low bass but for good bass I like the way hell freezes over is recorded. Billie Jean by MJ. Another one I don't see mentioned is the 1st track from flashdance soundtrack. Anything by sean paul or 36 mafia.

To the guy who mentioned telarc's great fantasy adventure: What kind of sub do your have? My m&k struggles with jurassic lunch.

thedelihaus
06-28-2006, 07:40 PM
...But if you want to test your BASS go about halfway through the 15th track of The Beastie Boys album Pauls Boutique ...The note that will be emitted from your speakers is the lowest note I have ever heard. I turned on a couple of car audio guys to this album in high school and they all started using it to test out the gear in thier new installs...

Tried to pick up a copy of it yesterday. Been a while since I heard that one... :thmbsp:

'Fisherman' The Congos - Haunting reggae classic recently reissued and remastered by Blood & Fire, an English label putting out some great material.

'Hang On St. Christopher' Tom Waits - from 'Frank's Wild Years'

"Bob Marley: Dreams of Freedom" - A dub album remixing some of Marley's music. Great low end and not as sacrilegious a concept in execution as concept.

I'm not a big reggae fan personally, but I must say your suggestion of Tom Waits is making my playlist lickety-split... :thmbsp:

Pneumonic
06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Plenty of excellent choices in here.

I'd like to add a few others that quickly pop into my head.

Peter Gabriel - Lay your Hands on Me.
Dafos (Mickey Hart) - The Gates of Dafos
Opus 3 - Test Record 3 (Dynamics) - Entire Disc
Thelma Houston - I've Got the Music in Me (Sheffield Lab)

ppontiac
08-20-2006, 04:10 AM
Santana's Supernatural, "Maria Maria"
Anything from Primus
AC/DC, "Safe In New York City"

Possum_Dog
08-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple always made me feel like the guy in the Blown Away poster by Maxell .

Boonaroo
08-20-2006, 07:01 PM
TelArc has a CD called Bach Busters. 'Tacata' is wicked!!!!
All Synthesizer . . . but true to the music.
Wish I still had it, but the ex kept it.

dmax99
08-20-2006, 07:51 PM
The Whole Me'Shell NdegéOcello
Peace Beyond Passion album :thmbsp:

Is that the one you played in Craigs room at the fest.If so that was the most intense bass I've ever heard,And I thought the Bela Fleck album went low....

Eunomians
08-21-2006, 12:45 PM
For real bass reference:

Miles Davis: A Tribute To Jack Johnson
Bob James: Heads
Les McCann: Invitation To Openess
Tha Slumplordz: Tha Yakuza In Don't Worry About Tha Kaliber
Mastercuts: Rare Grooves Volume 1

jfzea
08-21-2006, 02:37 PM
-The first album of Chris Squire (bassist of Yes) : Fish out of water - a master piece not only in the bass area

-Pat Metheny : Bright size life, playing the bass Jaco Pastorius

bigphil
08-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Bob Marley - Ambush in the Night
Erykah Badu - On and On

trueview
08-21-2006, 03:40 PM
my playlist for big bass test...

Sneaker Pimps
Portishead
Massive Attack
Mr. Scruff

t40killa
01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
It's hard to beat rap when it comes to bass. Check out these songs if you really want to test your amps and subs.

The Boomin' System - LL Cool J
Renee - Lost Boys
Ain't No Future in Your Frontin' - MC Breed
Angel - Gavin Friday
Hotel California - Eagles

LordOfChaos
01-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Vader-Impressions In Blood

IMO the 6th song Predator is the best one on the album.

:guitar::rockon:

12ax7
01-09-2011, 01:53 AM
"Way Down Deep" by Jennifer Warnes, on her CD "The Hunter". Unbelievable 'percussion' (for lack of a better word) and well-recorded.

I can attest to this one. It took out a JBL door speaker in my Solara, and it wasn't that loud. Excellent for tracking down rattles and buzzes in any system. I wish I had it on vinyl.

Machineghost
01-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Steely Dan - Cousin Dupree - nice fast bass

Jamiroqui - Return of the Space Cowboy - whole album - good funk bass

Sir.Byrd
01-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Chumbawamba - Outsider

This song has a really really deep bass intro where each note gets lower and lower, so far the only pair of speakers that I have tested with it that pass are the 2226H-4Pi.

Chemical Brothers - No Path to Follow

This one is here simply because I was just listening to it, but really put on any Chemical brothers track. Their new album Further is especially good, and if your speakers (or subs) are good enough Another World will make your room feel like it is warping with the bass.

Fever Ray - Coconut

Psychedelic when played very loud, not that I would know.

Flaming Lips - A Spoonful Weighs a Ton

Again with the intro, kind of tricks you and then BAM you are transported into some sort of bass heaven.

The Knife - The Captain

Beat that echos lower and lower with each reverberation, can really shake up the house, will make it obvious if the speakers can really put out lower bass.

LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean

9 minute epic with a surprise, you'll have to listen to hear it.

Massive Attack - Angel

This song is simply killer.

Simian Mobile Disco - I Got This Down

Unless your speakers cannot go down.

Andrew Bird - Carrion Suite

This has a different sort of bass altogether, it is hand plucked and will sound awful if the speakers cannot do natural.

There are many that I haven't written down but these are the few most prominent.

Guzzinerd
01-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Band: Portishead
Album: Dummy

danj
01-09-2011, 03:43 AM
"Jump Into The Fire" by Harry Nilsson has great bass and some very tight percussion that should give your speakers a good workout.

"Miss You" by the Stones has mucho bass and is made loud to be played loud.

Side 1 of "The James Gang Rides Again" has the fantastic bass playing of Dale Peters. Check out "The Bomber" for bass and some of the biggest bad ass guitar playing in the universe. It was Joe Walsh at his absolute peak.

I'm shocked that no one mentioned E. Power Biggs or Virgil Fox and their pipe organs. Both recorded some spectacular BACH.

Mannheim Steamroller. Any record will do.

Bogframe
01-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Tomita's "Space Fantasy" on the Cosmos album (vinyl) will challenge most woofers.
On Frank Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti album, the song "Flakes" has a low note around the line "we are millions and millions, we're comin'' ta get ya" that I can only hear on my HPM-100s.

olds cool
01-09-2011, 04:27 AM
you shook me~led zep
the lemon song~led zep
dazed and confused~led zep
......can you survive the first 10 seconds of dazed and confused????

JarredCrowe
01-09-2011, 05:28 AM
The general sound not the instrument right?

Pretty much anything by Benny Benassi will destroy most of the previously mentioned, or pretty much any hardstyle or hardbass(that ones right in the name) us electronic music guys likes us some bass. lol

Some Bootsy Collins will do alright too.

fretless
01-09-2011, 09:18 AM
There are a lot of good songs with prominent bass lines and many are listed here and there are a few that will strangle a ported enclosure, this is one of them;

Santana "You Just Don't Care"
From the first "Santana" effort in 1969 . I carried this Vinyl cut to audition speakers in the very early 70's.
Give it a listen...
Wings; "Silly love song" carries a few low 40's HZ notes. It's a nice riff also.

hdted
01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Wild Thing by Tone Loc

davy
01-10-2011, 12:56 AM
"Shut up and let me go" by the Ting Tings, that'll rock yuh

bhunter
01-10-2011, 02:24 AM
I can attest to this one. It took out a JBL door speaker in my Solara, and it wasn't that loud. Excellent for tracking down rattles and buzzes in any system. I wish I had it on vinyl.

I'll agree with that. Jennifer Warnes' "Way Down Deep" is usually the first I play for low bass tests. I also have a CD called "The Digital Domain" recorded at Stanford in the 80's that has some extreme dynamics of nature sounds followed by Jets taking off and then C Note, now known as the THX sound you hear at movies. The rumbling of the jet landing when the reverse thrusters engage is amazing. A nice low rumble with all the nuances of very good recording. On my Maggies with subwoofers it sounds like the plane is landing on your head. Dorsey's "Back Busters" is another good dynamic recording that is a good test for speakers.

scottykarate
02-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd agree with Koyaanisqatsi and E Powers Biggs or almost anyone doing Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and Portishead to give a female voice and bass.

If you want simply low freq ambient, Lustmord and Lull are two artists that can shake the walls.

I like the bass vocals on Sacred Treasures 5: From a Russian Cathedral. Kinda neat.

For biiiiiinggg boooomm bass, I agree with DJ Magic Mike from way back when.

Bass guitar tracks...too many good ones already mentioned. Bill Laswell does some good stuff with Scorn.

Dale Crover does heavy drumming with over-sized drums quite a bit.

Gang-Twanger
02-07-2011, 11:22 AM
For general low-frequency fidelity, Phish's "Picture Of Nectar" and "Rift" come to mind. But for extreme bass-ness, "Pedestal" off the "Portishead" debut is a true test of your woofers' durability, just like the last poster said.

And someone mentioned Zeppelin's "Dazed And Confused"? Try the live version off of the "Song Remains The Same" soundtrack. I have a vinyl-rip of the Rhino-remastered 8-sided LP set (ripped using a Scoutmaster Signature Plus), and I have to either turn it down or lower the bass during the beginning of that song otherwise it rattles my walls and ceiling BAD. That's a good one to use when you're checking for room-resonances.

phatster
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Telarc CD-1812 Overture(The cannons!)

michiganpat
02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
some others....

pink floyd's "welcome to the machine"

and "kicks" "hungry" and "just like me" from paul revere and the raiders

Gang-Twanger
02-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Telarc CD-1812 Overture(The cannons!)

How about some classical-sampled techno?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t46BwkIdcFo

There are several songs on this album that sound great through a system with great bass-response. Not insanely-low, and not insanely-bass-heavy, but it works.

It's weird how my main speakers have great bass-response, and yet the woofer is very-rigid and hardly-moves (The woofers have hard-rubber surrounds and a very-rigid cone, and yet they can sure thump - There are others that go lower, but the overall bass-response is just the way I like it).

barredowl
02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
For overall low bass, Bass Nectar Bass head. Or Amon Tobin's Supermodified album.

Blue Nile off of Alice Coltrane's Translinear Light has a drum solo with nice bass drum hits that is nice for tuning a sub for realistic drum sounds, very well recorded.

Lots of other great suggestions here too like the Bela Fleck, Massive Attack, Andrew Bird, etc.

bill114
02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Genesis - Firth of Fifth from Selling England By The Pound (vinyl)
ELP - The Endless Enigma parts 1 & 2 from Trilogy (import vinyl)

barredowl
02-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Medeski Martin and Wood. Bubblehouse.

AlexLTDLX
02-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Wow - there are some excellent tunes posted here; about half of them I've got, another third I want, and the remaining 52% I'm gonna have to check out. (or whatever - I'm doing my math in metric. Or SAE. Just use whichever doesn't apply to you.)

One band that I haven't seen mentioned is Soul Coughing. More bass than Tool, Perfect Circle, just about any classic rock album, Rage Against the Machine and even Intro to Sprach Zarathustra (don't make me look up the spelling) from Time Warp. In fact, Soul Coughing has more bass than just about anything in my collection that can still be considered music (I'm not counting pipe organ stuff, which can get subsonic, but isn't very dynamic). They're squarely in the realm of "Geek Rock," but dammit, they have an upright acoustic bass and they want you to KNOW it. Add to it their use of synths (and even some samples), and you've got most of the bottom covered in hot sauce. Start with the album, "Irresistable Bliss" - it's the most accessible - specifically track two, "Soft Serve" and work your way around from there.

Here you go (computer speakers ain't gonna cut it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIyQMXh-KA

Other tracks are more dynamic/have more or lower bass; but that'll get those b:yes::yes:bies bouncing. From a poetic perspective, I personally dig, "Screenwriters Blues" from their Ruby Vroom album. Listen to it alone, late at night. It can be transcendent. And isn't that the point of music after all?

Other good (great tracks):
Super Bon Bon
Sugar Free Jazz
St. Louise is Listening
Paint
Disseminated

...ah, the heck with it - just poke around on youtube. And if you don't like 'em, that's ok too. Just spreading the wealth.

AlexLTDLX
02-07-2011, 11:01 PM
ok, ok - sorry to be self indulgent one more time, but here's a video that gives you and idea (and a completely different, yet very cool live version of "St. Louise is Listening" - even though the singer misses a note at one point...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLSqdkcEAk0&feature=related

benb
02-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Grand Funk's "Survival" LP. Lot's of Bass.
Yeah, that's apparently not one of their most memorable albums. About the main thing I recall about it is the bass guitar has a lot of "tone" and/or was mixed louder than usual.

A similar recording is Rod Stewart "Twisting The Night Away" from some early album whose title I forget, the bass player was really active on that one, and like GFR's "Survivor album, the guy at the mixing board put him in the aural spotlight.
Magic Man by Heart & Lucky Man by Emerson, Lake and Palmer come to mind. Another song I just listened to recently is Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy by Big and Rich. It had the woofs really moving some air.
Lucky Man is the one song this thread brought to mind. I attended a hifi show in Atlanta circa 1972, and that was playing loud in one booth that had huge speakers. At the end of the synth solo the synth hits some REALLY low note, and everyone FELT it more than heard it and everyone went "Wow!" :)

BajaBuoy
02-08-2011, 01:03 AM
My fave is track #12 on "New Celtic Moon" by the Paul Haslem Consort, Sugo Music SR 9884.

A bass drum is struck, and then the drumhead tension is immediately increased. If your woofer is good, you will hear a rising "Boom-immmm" starting with a thwack, as I get from a 15" V-dyne servo-sub. A non-servo sub? Not so much. You will get a flat "Bummmmmm".

Pipe organs are not really that useful because when the the tuned pipes resonate from input air they give off sine waves which are very easy for a cone speaker to reproduce.

Sir.Byrd
02-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Wow - there are some excellent tunes posted here; about half of them I've got, another third I want, and the remaining 52% I'm gonna have to check out. (or whatever - I'm doing my math in metric. Or SAE. Just use whichever doesn't apply to you.)

One band that I haven't seen mentioned is Soul Coughing. More bass than Tool, Perfect Circle, just about any classic rock album, Rage Against the Machine and even Intro to Sprach Zarathustra (don't make me look up the spelling) from Time Warp. In fact, Soul Coughing has more bass than just about anything in my collection that can still be considered music (I'm not counting pipe organ stuff, which can get subsonic, but isn't very dynamic). They're squarely in the realm of "Geek Rock," but dammit, they have an upright acoustic bass and they want you to KNOW it. Add to it their use of synths (and even some samples), and you've got most of the bottom covered in hot sauce. Start with the album, "Irresistable Bliss" - it's the most accessible - specifically track two, "Soft Serve" and work your way around from there.

Here you go (computer speakers ain't gonna cut it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIyQMXh-KA

Other tracks are more dynamic/have more or lower bass; but that'll get those b:yes::yes:bies bouncing. From a poetic perspective, I personally dig, "Screenwriters Blues" from their Ruby Vroom album. Listen to it alone, late at night. It can be transcendent. And isn't that the point of music after all?

Other good (great tracks):
Super Bon Bon
Sugar Free Jazz
St. Louise is Listening
Paint
Disseminated

...ah, the heck with it - just poke around on youtube. And if you don't like 'em, that's ok too. Just spreading the wealth.

ok, ok - sorry to be self indulgent one more time, but here's a video that gives you and idea (and a completely different, yet very cool live version of "St. Louise is Listening" - even though the singer misses a note at one point...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLSqdkcEAk0&feature=related

Great mention, I agree 100%. :yes:

KMFDM781
02-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Nine Inch Nails- Burn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsM4FM3MiK0) There's a part where a lower groove synth comes in over the top of a very deep bass line...lesser speakers and subs will make this a garbled mess.

Roni Size- Brown Paper Bag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzjolHvOAOE) This song has a very nice bass guitar track and some very deep sub drops.

Chip Away- Jane's Addiction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qbxvo0r1TM&feature=related) This song is almost entirely vocals and large drums. This can turn into a muddled mess of bass if your system's not up to snuff.

Babysong- The Devin Townsend Band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CveolcXcR6I) A very deep, swelling bass drop at 3:50 that can easily clip amplifiers.

My Name Is Mud- Primus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953PkxFNiko) Duh...don't know if it's been mentioned.

Skin Peeler- Mortician (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdI7Ya0GiXg) Yes, this is a ridiculous death metal band..but props if your rig can handle this song. There's extremely low bass guitar mixed with very low vocals and down tuned guitars. It can be a horrible boomy mess.

That Song- Big Wreck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4F-Hb46tH0) Just has a nice satisfying, deep kick drum.

Stephen J
02-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Dreamweaver-Gary Wright

Do You Feel Like I do-Peter Frampton

Wanted Dead or Alive-Bon Jovi

Hotel California- The Eagles-Live-Hell Freezes over LP

The first three have "sustained" bass notes throughout...
Hotel California..intermittent (intro) but huge !

Three Sheets to the wind (whats my name) Kid Rock / The history of Rock track #7

OldSkool
02-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Galactic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA3SOU8aj4U)

Booker T & Drive-by Truckers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ak1lqCMEs)

Paul McCartney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9QVN0bpa4)

BRICK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpr9qvuodVA)

Al Stewart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7LR46zrQU)

Earth, Wind & Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpsOu8jyU8)

Shalamar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jxt4Lx5hU)

LTD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVF9BNMIxHo)

I could do this all day long. LOL

OldSkool
02-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Dreamweaver-Gary Wright
Youre right on that one, it does hit good on my HPM-150s

So does: Player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o)

trhee
02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
For bass and subwoofer workouts:

- Saint Saens, "Symphony #3"
- Tchaikovsky, "1812 Overture"
- Peaches, "I U She"
- Madonna, "Rain"
- Eminem, "Without Me"

HTHMAN
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Bach-Toccata and Fugue in D minor

ng0k
02-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Song from Flim and the BB's called "Tricycle" is what I like to use.

tx_polkhead
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Depeche Mode: Agent Orange
Bjork: Hunter / It's Oh So Quiet / Venus As A Boy
Cake: Never There / The Distance
Eric Serra: The Professional soundtrack (most of it!)
Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine
- Massive Attack - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Nine Inch Nails - Portishead - Sade - Soul Coughing -

sinister
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Chemical Brothers - Under the Influence

bakes
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
One that surprised me in college that I don't think has been mentioned yet: "Sloop John B" by the Beach Boys. I have an old UK pressing of "20 Greatest Hits" and the bass on that track digs down and bounces around there big time.

Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine" has some low level almost infrasonic bass bits on it that you won't even her if your sub doesn't travel below 25 Hz.

similost
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Not going to go through this to see if I posted it.. but if not..

You can't beat Chemical Brothers - Under The Influence (Bass Test)

If you can feel your bowels rumble, and see your windows in the house move out.. then you know you got some heavy doody speakers.. Not sure how low this song drops, but I know it's well under 30hz..

The song was also included on a promo disk Electronic Battle Weapon 3, was made for DJ's to test the systems in clubs they play in.

Gang-Twanger
02-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Depeche Mode: Agent Orange
Bjork: Hunter / It's Oh So Quiet / Venus As A Boy
Cake: Never There / The Distance
Eric Serra: The Professional soundtrack (most of it!)
Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine
- Massive Attack - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Nine Inch Nails - Portishead - Sade - Soul Coughing -

Cake - The Distance - Absolutely, although there's a bit of distortion on the bass in the very-beginning that fool many people into thinking there's something wrong with their speakers (It fooled me - I had to turn it way-down and listen again). It's always been there, but I guess it took me hearing the CD on a proper system to notice it.

I was just listening to that disc a couple days ago. It's a great-sounding album. Very-well-recorded. Very-natural sound to everything - especially the vocals. However, it has a lot of bass.

RPMz
02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Sade - Bullet Proof Soul off her Love Deluxe album
Maxwell - Everwanting To Want You To Want off his Embrya album

Gang-Twanger
02-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Galactic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA3SOU8aj4U)

Booker T & Drive-by Truckers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ak1lqCMEs)

Paul McCartney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9QVN0bpa4)

BRICK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpr9qvuodVA)

Al Stewart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7LR46zrQU)

Earth, Wind & Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpsOu8jyU8)

Shalamar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jxt4Lx5hU)

LTD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVF9BNMIxHo)

I could do this all day long. LOL

Yeah, EWF's "Sing A Song" has some great bottom-end on it. Not super-low or anything, but if you have a good system with speakers that reproduce low-frequency stuff very-well, it will sound fantastic. Very-balanced.

Brick's "Dazz" ("Dazz, dazz/Disco-jazz... Dazz, dazz/Disco-jazz..."). I've been listening to that song since I was a kid. I have it on a 5CD collection called "In Yo' Face: The History Of Funk", which is a funk-lover's dream.

And Al Stewart. God, I love that guy. I've seen him live and he's great. Even now, he still tours and still sounds like he did back in the '70's. I have signed "Year Of The Cat", "Time Passages", and "Modern Times" LP's (Nowadays, he's mostly-doing the acoustic-duo thing, but he's still great to see live).

I have a compilation CD from around '92 called "Classic Jazz-Funk Mastercuts Vol. 3" that is just heaven through my speakers. Great bass. Two examples are Roy Ayers' "Love Will Bring Us Back Together" and Bob James' "Westchester Lady". VERY-dancable stuff that will get your speakers moving.

And I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" has great low-frequency stuff. Plus, his hit from the early '80's, "Rockit", is a feast for bass-lovers (Stick with the LP or the original CD - Remasters will only serve to hurt the music - Too-loud).

Gang-Twanger
02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I have a 2CD set called "Ultimate Breakdance" (Sony/Ministry Of Sound - 2009) that's loaded with all kinds of 80's rap/hip-hop stuff (and some of that jazz-hop stuff like Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" and Art Of Noise's "Beatbox"). Excellent bass.

similost
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Rockit is one of my favorite LP's to drop in the check out a new pair of speakers with...

Gang-Twanger
02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I totally-forgot about this one - "The Best Of War And More". Great bottom-end (Great everything). This disc came out in the '80's and it's one of the best-sounding CD's ever made.

Gang-Twanger
02-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Here's another: "Waveform Transmissions Volume Two" - All low-end dub-type trance music. If your speakers excel at low-end reproduction, then this is right up your alley.

rileysaudio
02-08-2011, 06:26 PM
One Too Many Mornings - The Chemical Brothers
Block Rockin' Beats - The Chemical Brothers
Rize Up - The Chemical Brothers
Name of the Game - The Crystal Method
Beats 4 My Van - DJ Billy-E
Pink Cookies in a Plastic Bag Getting Crushed By Buildings - LL Cool J
So Fresh, So Clean - Outkast
Growing Up - Peter Gabriel
The Barry Williams Show - Peter Gabriel
Major Tom - Shiny Toy Guns
A Thousand Years - Sting (in the 20hz region)
Ultimate Subwoofer Test - THX
Passing By - Zero 7
(Just for the bass) Haters Everywhere - B.o.B
Bass Can U Hear Me - Beat Dominator

Numistrek09
02-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Perhaps this falls more under a torture test, but has anyone mentioned the soundtrack to Apollo 13? The first track is the real killer. The one for liftoff is probably the next best.

I have also found that Saint Saens Organ Symphony # 3 at the end will kick some serious woofer butt.

srbliss
02-09-2011, 12:50 AM
I have been really enjoying No Doubt - The Singles 1992-2003. Not really my type of music but I find myself plopping that CD almost daily. Almost every song has some serious hammering bass to it. Try Hella Good cranked up hard at the start - kick drums hit really hard. I find myself restarting this track a few times just to hear this.
Pretty much the whole CD has TONS of good bass.
Steve

No Doubt - It's My Life. The drums and bass riff throughout the song show up any weaknesses in my present system-in-flux... especially when I have the amp turned up to like 11 o'clock and my KEFs are singing at full voice.:thmbsp:

Just make sure it's a full-bore CD track. Even an MP3 ripped at 320kB/sec will have degradation and distortion in the bass, and the highs in the vocals and snares and cymbals will really suffer. Believe me, I know.:thumbsdn:

Tom

srbliss
02-09-2011, 12:55 AM
These little silver disks appeared there was a Telarc CD that had a warning on it to not crank it up as it would kill the speakers. I think it was Star Wars type stuff - actually I am sure it was. Anyone know the CD?? I want to torture my new build.
Steve

srbliss
02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
My Head's In Mississippi
ZZ Top
Most people don't even know this bass exists.
http://letras.terra.com/zz-top/103508/ My computer speakers don't even hint at all the bass.
Steve

Mchaz
02-09-2011, 01:15 AM
King Crimson - Easy Money [Real low powerful bass guitar]
Amanda Blank - Might Like You Better (Rusko's Pink Lemonade Remix) [Vicious dubstep wobble synth bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAoz92YgsgA]
Treasure Fingers - Cross the Dancefloor (Designer Drugs Remix) [House music with a nice synth bassline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkFnN_NbEos]
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic [Already mentioned, but there are some seriously low frequencies buried in this track.]
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard/Waltz for Debby [I just love Scott LaFaro's playing.]

EPI-Center
02-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Jonny Lang and Keb Mo both have bass mixes that really kick like a mule

Gang-Twanger
02-09-2011, 03:42 AM
Listening to this right now - Busta Rhymes' "The Coming'

This album is loaded with LOWWWW BASS. If your speakers have a nice balanced bass-response and can go REALLY-low without losing volume, then you can truly-appreciate this one. The best example is the last song, "The Finish Line". I bought it on cassette back in '96 when it was released (The car stereo system I had was cassette-based), but I had to sell it along with the rest of my tape/CD collection AND my car stereo system in the late '90's when money became a serious issue for me (due to reasons which I won't go into here). I miss all the cool cassettes I used to have (not to mention the Mac/Soundstream car amps and speakers). Those were the days.

bombadil111
02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
I remember my brother used to crank "Dragon Attack" by Queen, on my Dad's system . . . when he wasn't home of course. Sounded good.

Lots of Pink Floyd: Time, Money, and alot of stuff on "the Wall."

The Blue Man Group has alot of material that'll work those woofs out!

"Lazy" from Deep Purple. For whatever reason; that kick drum on 15" Eminence brings a big smile to my face :music:.

I've recently downloaded some HD tracks from HDTracks :D. Some fusion jazz stuff, that I had bought for the fun of it . . . demo stuff. These are flat out, some of the best recordings that I've heard. Sonics are excellent all around, and some bass is quite deep . . . but always clean :yes:. I've grown quite fond of these obscure artists: Ottmar Liebert, Alain Caron, and Kip Hanrahan.

OldSkool
02-09-2011, 10:10 AM
I have a compilation CD from around '92 called "Classic Jazz-Funk Mastercuts Vol. 3" that is just heaven through my speakers. Great bass. Two examples are Roy Ayers' "Love Will Bring Us Back Together" and Bob James' "Westchester Lady". VERY-dancable stuff that will get your speakers moving.

And I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" has great low-frequency stuff. Plus, his hit from the early '80's, "Rockit", is a feast for bass-lovers (Stick with the LP or the original CD - Remasters will only serve to hurt the music - Too-loud).
I will look into those you mentioned, thanks for the heads up. :thmbsp:

22frank
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM
My old favorite Yes, Starship trooper = WURM My new favorite DJ Bille E = Ghetto Style Bass...This is a great thread. I can scroll the great songs every one posted, and on the Utube listen to each one .!!! :music: