View Full Version : taking down a 30 foot antenna tower

justrideit
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Anybody have advice on disassembling a 30 foot tower with a FM/AM antenna?

Ed in Tx
11-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Is it on a tilt-over base or concreted into a hole in the ground? Do you know any local ham radio guys? Some of them will have experience with towers.

cwall99
11-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Sawz-all.

Oh, wait, you want to do it safely!!! Never mind.

Fisherdude
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I would suggest a minimum of three strong guys. If there are any power lines within double the height of the tower, make it 10 guys.:yes:

People die doing this.

It's going to weigh more than you can imagine, and it's going to be extremely unwieldy. Is it a crank-down? Tilt-over? If it isn't either of these, is it climbable? If so, the best bet might actually be to climb it, and disassemble it in sections from the top, then lower the pieces down.

The least desirable method would be to unbolt it from its base and attempt to tip it over and try to control it on the way down. Unless you can tie something to the top, you'll never be able to control the acceleration once it starts to go.

Did I mention that people die doing this?

Bob91343
11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Much depends on the tower construction. I have some antenna and tower experience and there are complicated, heavy structures as well as light, simple ones. In fact, I just put up a fair size yagi yesterday, with no help.

So give some details and/or pictures. Are there guy wires? A bracket to hold it against the eaves? Cement base?

wa2ise
11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Do you know any local ham radio guys? Some of them will have experience with towers.

If the tower is in good condition, one of the hams may want it.

Your town building dept may require a permit for demolition. And the town may have grandfathered the existence of the tower, they may not allow you to put up a new tower later.

Your wife making you take it down? Some wives never appreciate the natural beauty of a radio tower... :scratch2:

avionic
11-02-2010, 06:15 PM
If you want to take it down in sections.A bottle jack and a "jib hoist "would be handy.

aidynphoenix
11-02-2010, 06:45 PM
do it the way people take down large trees that are near homes.. climb it. and take it apart from the top.. use cables if needed to bring down the "branches" slowly..

BruceRPA
11-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Juuuuust in case you missed the message...

I would suggest a minimum of three strong guys. If there are any power lines within double the height of the tower, make it 10 guys.:yes:

People die doing this.

It's going to weigh more than you can imagine, and it's going to be extremely unwieldy. Is it a crank-down? Tilt-over? If it isn't either of these, is it climbable? If so, the best bet might actually be to climb it, and disassemble it in sections from the top, then lower the pieces down.

The least desirable method would be to unbolt it from its base and attempt to tip it over and try to control it on the way down. Unless you can tie something to the top, you'll never be able to control the acceleration once it starts to go.

Did I mention that people die doing this?

And that was message number 14,002, in no one noticed! :thmbsp:

justrideit
11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I went to the ladies house to check the tower situation out. She is selling it. It is bolted to three fixtures that are in concrete. It has three legs. One leg is meant to be unbolted and then you can tilt it over.

I decided it was too much of a danger. Plus I would have to put it back up after pouring concrete and fabricating a new base.

here's a picture. No affiliation.

http://porthuron.craigslist.org/ele/2034742842.html

My roof is 23 feet at its peak. I figure I can attach a 10 foot pole and have an antenna that is higher than this. For a lot less money.

Also I think I read somewhere that people can die taking these down.

Fisherdude
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Ok, that picture helps a lot.

So, noting the relationship between the tower's position and the chimney, we can safely assume that the tower tilts AWAY from the house. Yes?:yes:

If so, then there is a relatively safe way to get it down. You need to have a husky friend or two stand on the roof behind the chimney, and attach a rope to the upper part of the tower. Then, after you unbolt the pivot point, they can easily feed out rope to lower the tower under control. The tower doesn't look all that "industrial" heavy, so it should be quite doable.:thmbsp:

Just noticed that it includes the rotor and remote. Go for it. It's a deal.

Fisherdude
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Juuuuust in case you missed the message...

And that was message number 14,002, in no one noticed! :thmbsp:

Holy cow! I didn't even notice!:D

saltwater
11-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Rohn 25... good tower, Someone ham related would want it. Its a breeze to put up, and take down. I would have 2 guys on the roof with a rope. Lower it down after its unbolted. It will be heavy. But two can manage it.

Svt
11-02-2010, 08:55 PM
a jib hoist is the best bet. Easiest is rent a crane. Or find someone who wants it and let them take it down....

justrideit
11-02-2010, 09:07 PM
She said she had two others interested but I didn't believe her. I told her to call me if it doesn't sell.

It does not tilt away from the house. It tilts parallel to the house. Still, the chimney/rope thing would probably work.

Fisherdude
11-02-2010, 09:10 PM
...It does not tilt away from the house. It tilts parallel to the house. Still, the chimney/rope thing would probably work.

Yep, it should work just fine. Might be a bit more awkward, but it won't be a problem.

aidynphoenix
11-02-2010, 09:20 PM
the picture makes it look easy.

tuttle
11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
That is a nice tower,easy enough to get it on the ground too.

Speaker Fan
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I did something similar, thought about it for a few days and decided it had to go as was in way of an addition on the house so here is what I did... :D

- climbed tower with tools until I got to antenna
- disconnected antenna and piping and dropped it to the ground
- leaned between house and antenna and removed bolts from top section
- lifted top 10 foot section and gracefully (ha ha) dropped it to the earth
- repeated above plan with next section
- same with final and dug up base plate from ground
- stored for 2 years (was gonna make a Huck Finn raft/pontoon boat with it) :thmbsp:
- gave all parts to neighbour

Oh yes, in meantime added 24' x 10' 2 storey addition :yes:

johnda
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Yep. Rope around chimney to pully Rope up and around pully to antenna. Two guys at base, one guy lowering the tower slowly. Be sure a fourth person has a videocam!

Sandy G
11-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Whine, whimper...That's just about EXACTLY what I want/need to mount my Winegard on....But, as usual, it may as well be on the back side of the freakin' Moon...Here in NE Tennessee, on a good day, you can pick up/DX FM stations from at least VA, GA, NC, KY, WVA, TN, SC....Especially this time of year. And I gots the hardware to do it with...ICOM R-7000, 2 Nems-Clarke Special Communications Receivers Model 1302B, Hallicrafters S-36...Not to mention my Yamaha RX-V1....