View Full Version : Distortion, Noise [Final Track's]

Grove's
11-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Hello:

There is something I am perhaps a little disappointed about the turntables.
I've been listening almost all my records in good shape, but in some of the records the final tracks sounds different (almost all the time little noisy when some strong sounds appear) compared the other half of the vinyl that sounds perfect.

I know!, maybe you said " you have problems with the Cartridge Alignment" but believe me i try with almost all the Cartridge Alignment Protractors and i have all in the correct place, and i think is correct calibrate in general, i read a lot about that.

Some of my Theories:
- Maybe the vinyl has been played in his early days with an incorrect catridge aligment and that cause the little damage).
- The vinyl has been played early with a bad needle, but would have to sound bad in all the record and songs.
- Is the nature of the vinyl.
- my vinyl is damage.
- my turntable have that manufactures problem.

Notes:
- My needle is new.
- My turntable: Sony PS-T33 (maybe some others user have this problem)
- I tested hear others turntables and I noticed the same problem, but
I haven't played my Lp's on that's turntables.

Zodia
11-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Funny, I am playing the very last track of side 2 (Two Suns In The Sunset) of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" No distortion what so ever, where as i have a few albums that do, those albums were played on a BOTL P-mount Fischer turntable, I attribute the distortion to the fact those records were played on that particular TT, and for the longest time i thought it was just a vinyl thing, because just about (if not all) records that i have played on that TT will have inner groove distortion.
Now that I am older and wiser (thanks to the folks here at AK) i know better, and proper alignment is a must if you want to keep your vinyl sounding good for as long as you own it.
So it is very likely that the records you have have been played by some one that knew little about proper TT setup (like i was).

PickyEars81
11-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Well, this sounds like a good excuse to buy a new record. If the new record does the same thing, then you can be pretty certain that it is something with your set up. Depending on which alignment you use, you will see slightly increased distortion toward the end of the record, but it shouldn't be that significant.

JonL
11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
What is the cartridge and stylus type? Have you experimented with slightly higher tracking forces? Is your stylus kept meticulously clean?

You may be extremely sensitive to the sound of inner groove distortion, in which case a high quality stylus on a linear tracking turntable may be your best solution.

jimreeves
11-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Frankly, I see a lot of these threads here and yet I've never noticed ANY inner groove distortion with various turntables/carts. Even when playing some of my lps from the 70's that I recall playing on a GE portable at the time. Maybe I just can't hear properly anymore.

Grove's
11-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Funny, I am playing the very last track of side 2 (Two Suns In The Sunset) of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" No distortion what so ever, where as i have a few albums that do, those albums were played on a BOTL P-mount Fischer turntable, I attribute the distortion to the fact those records were played on that particular TT, and for the longest time i thought it was just a vinyl thing, because just about (if not all) records that i have played on that TT will have inner groove distortion.
Now that I am older and wiser (thanks to the folks here at AK) i know better, and proper alignment is a must if you want to keep your vinyl sounding good for as long as you own it.
So it is very likely that the records you have have been played by some one that knew little about proper TT setup (like i was).

curiously this match with what i buy today, The Final Cut Germany edition new and completely sealed and sound perfect from start to finish, with this, I realize that some Lp's could be damaged by poor TT with no calibration.

something quite soothing, i think is not my TT.

Thank's.

Metalownz
11-25-2010, 11:55 AM
If it does it with all your records, its either A, your setup, or B all your records are are damaged. If you got your records in all different places, then it cant possibly be all of them. Is it a cheap cartridge your using?

Grove's
11-26-2010, 10:17 AM
If it does it with all your records, its either A, your setup, or B all your records are are damaged. If you got your records in all different places, then it cant possibly be all of them. Is it a cheap cartridge your using?

This the neddle: http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=STPST33

i know is not very good but is possible cause damage to my Lp's with that needle?