View Full Version : Pulled the trigger- Sony SCD-777ES on the way

M Jarve
12-26-2010, 04:58 PM
So, having first passed off SACD as something of a solution looking for a problem, my recent experience using the Denon DVD-2900 as a SACD player for a couple days changed my perspective. You see, I had based my opinion on what could be described as a super-market sample. It gave me something to chew on, but it was not really representing all that it could be. Hearing something resembling a proper SACD player changed that. I was able to definitively tell the difference, and, for the most part, it was for the better.

So, I now knew what I wanted- a great SACD player. But, reality has this nasty habit of rearing its head on occasion. I would have to sell my beloved Cambridge Azur 640c to help fund it, which meant I would be giving up a great CD player. Not only would did I want a great SACD player, but I would need one that was also a great Redbook CD player.

After performing some research, I found that to get something new that met that criteria would cost me much more than I can afford. So, I had to look back a few years. Among the units in contention, the SCD-777ES appeared to be the best. And, at under a grand, it was something I could afford (as long as I thinned the herd a little).

So, after selling a lot of kit (for me, anyways), I finally have a SCD-777ES on the way. I hope I made the right decision. But, the way I see it, any CD player that tips the scales at 60-lbs, that works, has got to be good.

thedelihaus
12-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Lordy, those are beautiful. I wish you great luck and look forward to your impressions!

Mysteryed
12-26-2010, 05:36 PM
The specifications on the Sony SCD-777ES are simply phenomenal. You should be enjoying music in such detail and musicality that you'll be going through your library of CDs looking to find out what was missed before. I was lucky enough to get a cd player in the Sony ES series (Sony CDP 508ESD) for less than ten bucks. It changed my expectations of CD performance. I sold it later as leverage towards an OPPO DVD/SACD player... I love the OPPO, but I am not fully convinced that the Sony was that far behind, if behind at all! Enjoy! :)

vintageboy
12-26-2010, 06:00 PM
These players are built like tanks! I will be very excited if one is sent my way!

TerryO
12-26-2010, 06:18 PM
So, having first passed off SACD as something of a solution looking for a problem, my recent experience using the Denon DVD-2900 as a SACD player for a couple days changed my perspective. You see, I had based my opinion on what could be described as a super-market sample. It gave me something to chew on, but it was not really representing all that it could be. Hearing something resembling a proper SACD player changed that. I was able to definitively tell the difference, and, for the most part, it was for the better.

So, I now knew what I wanted- a great SACD player. But, reality has this nasty habit of rearing its head on occasion. I would have to sell my beloved Cambridge Azur 640c to help fund it, which meant I would be giving up a great CD player. Not only would did I want a great SACD player, but I would need one that was also a great Redbook CD player.

After performing some research, I found that to get something new that met that criteria would cost me much more than I can afford. So, I had to look back a few years. Among the units in contention, the SCD-777ES appeared to be the best. And, at under a grand, it was something I could afford (as long as I thinned the herd a little).

So, after selling a lot of kit (for me, anyways), I finally have a SCD-777ES on the way. I hope I made the right decision. But, the way I see it, any CD player that tips the scales at 60-lbs, that works, has got to be good.

Our Audio Club has used a Sony 777ES in it's reference system for several years and it's an excellent player, with the one drawback that it's as slow as molasses loading the disc.
With the SACD format becoming obsolete, it's perhaps not as necessary to have it much longer, but it works and sounds nice on everything.

Yours should give you excellent service for many years to come.

Best Regards,
TerryO

M Jarve
12-28-2010, 03:40 AM
I don't have the big girl yet... But, here is a pic provided by the seller. The dang thing just looks like the proverbial brick *hithouse. Even more interesting, I have a somewhat functioning Yamaha CDX-10000 on the workbench getting a servo rebuilt- be pretty fun to compare the two TOTL units from 12 years apart. I'm guessing, aside from the obvious, more similarities than differences.

WhiteSE
12-28-2010, 03:51 AM
yeah, its a great unit...I had one for awhile...doesnt matter that SACD seems to be fading. thats what the used market is for..:-)

M Jarve
12-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I've already got a collection of SACD's and Hybrids, including the Beethoven Symphony cycle recorded by the MSO (who, in my estimation, perform the Ninth more closely to how it was intended than any other rendition I've heard).

But even if I never buy another SACD again, as long as it's CDDA performance is at least as good (or better than) my old Cambridge deck, I'm still ahead.

doucanoe
12-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Those are supposed to be very nice, Mike! I'm sure it will make for a great player for you.

Keep an eye out for sales on those online CD stores. I picked up about $200 worth of SACD's when one of them had a sale a couple of years back for $5.00 a pop!

I think that was a advertising error on their part but the honored the price. I've seen similar sales since then for around $10.00 each.

Can't say that all have been eye opening SACD experiences but many are pretty amazing when compared to redbook.

RC

M Jarve
12-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I guess the deck shipped today and is now in FedEx's hands. Good-golly, I can hardly wait for a knock at the front door. Right now I'm running my old ADC CD-2000E, and while a good performer belying it's age and stature (certainly not as good as the old 640c, however), it's making me impatient for the time when I can hear it as intended again.

Mister Pig
01-01-2011, 01:53 AM
The physical construction on this player is impressive!

Sound on CD is typical Sony, which means its a touch on the smooth side, but nice to listen to. Does a great job on SACD, which it really should. But yes the load times are slow. But it gives you time to get back to your listening chair, pick up the remote, and be ready to make your selection.

But there is a potential problem. The SCD777ES was known for developing tracking issues. Sometimes the machine would develop problems reading the SACD portion of the disc. Sony does service them, but the repairs were not inexpensive. Not sure if a good DIY person could accomplish this on their own, but I get the impression they can't as some specialized tools are needed.

Hope you get a flawless one, mine never gave me any trouble. In the end I found that the SACD thing wasn't a big deal to me, and that I was able to get better redbook sound from a DAC/Transport than the Sony. Actually I think the current CD stack I have in my house does better with 16 bit than my Sony could with SACD.

Disclaimer: Many of the SACD I had were single layer Sony offerings. They had been remastered so significantly that the music sounded different than the same redbook disc that it should have been related to. Like they were completely different performance, so no meaningful comparisons could be made.

Regards
Mister Pig

goldear
01-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Congratulations! The 777 is an exceptionally well-built machine. I know these machines very well since I used-to modify these as a side gig. These units sound very good stock on SACD, and still sound pretty decent on redbook. But many of the better DACs these days will embarrass the stock player's redbook performance. However with the very best mods, these can truly kick-*** and I'd put one of these up against the very best digital that money can buy for either redbook or SACD playback.

The tracking issue referred to above does eventually happen with every single one of these players. 4 different things can cause these symptoms (not necesarily in this order):
1) The drive spindle bearings wearing-out.
2) The sled-motor wearing-out
3) One of the two lasers wearing-out or
4) The lasers are out of allignment.

I've never seen one of these players go far-enough out of allignment that alligning alone fixed this problem though. Usually by the time this is happening, one of the three other parts is failing. But the allignment is crucial whenever you install new lasers, or you risk the mis-tracking happening from day one.

Have fun with it!

M Jarve
01-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Congratulations! The 777 is an exceptionally well-built machine. I know these machines very well since I used-to modify these as a side gig. These units sound very good stock on SACD, and still sound pretty decent on redbook. But many of the better DACs these days will embarrass the stock player's redbook performance. However with the very best mods, these can truly kick-*** and I'd put one of these up against the very best digital that money can buy for either redbook or SACD playback.

The tracking issue referred to above does eventually happen with every single one of these players. 4 different things can cause these symptoms (not necesarily in this order):
1) The drive spindle bearings wearing-out.
2) The sled-motor wearing-out
3) One of the two lasers wearing-out or
4) The lasers are out of allignment.

I've never seen one of these players go far-enough out of allignment that alligning alone fixed this problem though. Usually by the time this is happening, one of the three other parts is failing. But the allignment is crucial whenever you install new lasers, or you risk the mis-tracking happening from day one.

Have fun with it!

Ouch! That's not encouraging at all. The reason I got the Cambridge deck in the first place was to put an end to a string of very good sounding and well built, but ultimately unreliable CD players I had been using. While the seller assures me that this unit has always performed flawlessly, I'm starting to worry about dropping close to $1k on a player that might only last a year- I'm not in the habit of "renting" gear, especially when it's this expensive...

And if the red-book performance is only so-so (contrary, it seems, to what Stereofool and others indicated), maybe I should have saved a lot of money and just gotten one of those cheap Denon DVD-2900/3900 series units. Seem to be about as reliable, had okay (though not great) red-book performance, and only cost 1/3 as much. Perhaps my first post after getting it should be in BT?

JohnVF
01-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I think you should listen to it first and decide...everybody's opinion is different. For example, I like the CD sound coming from my Sony RC-w1 CD-recorder/player better than the CD sound from my Cambridge 640c vII...I can't imagine the SCD-777ES being below that. I'd love to have one! What a tank!

goldear
01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Ouch! That's not encouraging at all. The reason I got the Cambridge deck in the first place was to put an end to a string of very good sounding and well built, but ultimately unreliable CD players I had been using. While the seller assures me that this unit has always performed flawlessly, I'm starting to worry about dropping close to $1k on a player that might only last a year- I'm not in the habit of "renting" gear, especially when it's this expensive...

And if the red-book performance is only so-so (contrary, it seems, to what Stereofool and others indicated), maybe I should have saved a lot of money and just gotten one of those cheap Denon DVD-2900/3900 series units. Seem to be about as reliable, had okay (though not great) red-book performance, and only cost 1/3 as much. Perhaps my first post after getting it should be in BT?
I have extremely high standards when it comes to Audio. What is just so-so to me is absolutely fantastic to many. I have heard some of the best of the best when it comes to digital, and when properly modified, this player is right up there IMO.

Regarding the rest: This player is not unreliable. With moderate use these will probably last >15 years before something fails, if it is well cared for. The modified units that I have encounted simply get used so much (because people absolutely love them) that they do eventually wear-out. There are some tricks that you can do to extend the life of this unit too (like cleaning and lubricaring the bearings, and not doing stupid stuff like leaving the player in pause, and then going on vacation for a week, or shipping the player with the puck in place) , so don't loose heart yet.

The rest can all be serviced and replaced, although admittedly it is a bit expensive to do.

FWIW: When I was modifying these players, the modified Sonys sounded better with a good redbook CD than the stock player did with a good SACD. And the sound from a properly modfiied unit on SACD was a couple of levels above even that.

Take a listen to it before you do anything. I could hapiliy live with a Stock SCD-777ES if I had to. But since I know what these units are actually capable of at their best, I have become spoiled. FWIW: My brand-new Oppo 93 (which I got for my my HT system) sounds very good when run in DSD mode. It deserves the rave reviews that it has received (at least for a universal player in its price-range). But a stock SCD-1 still sounds better on two-channel SACDs. So I doubt very-much that you will be dissapointed. Just try some dual-layer disks. These are always the first thing to start having problems when run in SACD mode. That is the way that I always used to test for this issue.

Just remember that all components eventually wear-out. And if you want for it to last forever, then I would recommend to you that plan on buying some spare parts, and on gving it a little TLC from time to time.

Have fun with it!

HiFiGuy528
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
The SCD-777es is a beautiful machine. I have that and the big brother SCD-1. The only differences are the Digital & Analog power supply and one extra foot in the center on the SCD-1. Here are some pics and nudies if you like nudies. :D

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5243/5318534903_637a0ac0f4_z.jpg
http://assets.head-fi.org/5/57/57adb43b_DSC04643.JPG

http://assets.head-fi.org/b/b1/b151b813_DSC00384.JPGhttp://assets.head-fi.org/7/78/78c07614_DSC04646.JPG

HiFiGuy528
01-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Not all SACDs are made well. This is a good one if you like the band. I'm listening it as I type this and I love it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009PJT4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00008H2I9&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=022E3YTEH5EB9S11GTXA
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6161vMUXwyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

HiFiGuy528
01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I have extremely high standards when it comes to Audio. What is just so-so to me is absolutely fantastic to many. I have heard some of the best of the best when it comes to digital, and when properly modified, this player is right up there IMO.

Regarding the rest: This player is not unreliable. With moderate use these will probably last >15 years before something fails, if it is well cared for. The modified units that I have encounted simply get used so much (because people absolutely love them) that they do eventually wear-out. There are some tricks that you can do to extend the life of this unit too (like cleaning and lubricaring the bearings, and not doing stupid stuff like leaving the player in pause, and then going on vacation for a week, or shipping the player with the puck in place) , so don't loose heart yet.

The rest can all be serviced and replaced, although admittedly it is a bit expensive to do.

FWIW: When I was modifying these players, the modified Sonys sounded better with a good redbook CD than the stock player did with a good SACD. And the sound from a properly modfiied unit on SACD was a couple of levels above even that.

Take a listen to it before you do anything. I could hapiliy live with a Stock SCD-777ES if I had to. But since I know what these units are actually capable of at their best, I have become spoiled. FWIW: My brand-new Oppo 93 (which I got for my my HT system) sounds very good when run in DSD mode. It deserves the rave reviews that it has received (at least for a universal player in its price-range). But a stock SCD-1 still sounds better on two-channel SACDs. So I doubt very-much that you will be dissapointed. Just try some dual-layer disks. These are always the first thing to start having problems when run in SACD mode. That is the way that I always used to test for this issue.

Just remember that all components eventually wear-out. And if you want for it to last forever, then I would recommend to you that plan on buying some spare parts, and on gving it a little TLC from time to time.

Have fun with it!

I read that Sony has stopped making some of the those parts you mentioned in a earlier post. As for Hybrid SACD discs issues, I read that it's a software problem. Sony does all the upgrades and repairs for a flat fee of $250 if you ship the unit to them. My biggest issue with shipping these is cosmetic damages like nicks and dings. These players are HEAVY so shipping is a problem. Both my units are in PERFECT shape without playback issues, yet. It's too bad no one but Sony can fix these beauties.

clydeselsor
01-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Congratulations! Looks like a great unit!

DaWoofer
01-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Those two look identical inside and did you say 60 lbs, my gosh? Looking forward to your reviews.

goldear
01-03-2011, 01:55 AM
I read that Sony has stopped making some of the those parts you mentioned in a earlier post. As for Hybrid SACD discs issues, I read that it's a software problem. Sony does all the upgrades and repairs for a flat fee of $250 if you ship the unit to them. My biggest issue with shipping these is cosmetic damages like nicks and dings. These players are HEAVY so shipping is a problem. Both my units are in PERFECT shape without playback issues, yet. It's too bad no one but Sony can fix these beauties.
I'm not in the business anymore, but when I last checked (more than a year ago), it was still possible to get most of these parts. Some part numbers had changed the last time that I had ordered replacements though. I have not had any reason to check recently though, so the situation might have changed since then.

FWIW: I never personally encountered any firmware issues on these two players (although that was definitely was a problem on the sony 9000es). And I was able to fix every broken SDC-1/777 that I ever came across, so the knowledge of how to fix these players is not exclusive to Sony.

But I most definitely agree that Sony is your best option for fixing a stock player.

M Jarve
01-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, it's here. I'm going to have to let it acclimate for a couple hours before actually hooking it up and powering it up (it's a balmy 0ºF outside).

I took the cover off, both to see what it looks like up-close and personal, and to help it warm up more quickly. The previous owner, it looks like, performed some mods of his own. All the power and audio connections have had their connectors cut off and soldered directly to the board (sort of... the boards still have there receptacles, the wire soldered to the leads). Some of it looks pro- properly heat-shrunk and neat, while other bits look amateur- electrical tape and frayed ends. I think, eventually, I'll clean up the less-well done stuff, but I'm going to leave it be for now.

I would like to note as well that pictures do not do this thing justice in the size department- It's by far the biggest thing I've put into this rack, including power amps. While not the heaviest component I've slotted in yet, it's easily among the top 3, and it's certainly the bulkiest, and that's including big amps. Going back to the immense size, it reminded me of my need for a new, or at least different equipment rack. Because of it's depth, I have to have it proud of the front of the shelf by a good inch, and even then the left-channel cable and power cable will be bent to an uncomfortable degree. It's about as deep as it is wide. The unusually deep MF preamp first alerted me to this situation, but its worse with the SCD-777ES. I'll have to get Boy Wonder on that soon, I think.

Aside from that, the remote, like the one for my previous CDP, has a thin veneer of real metal over the top. At least the Sony unit does not have lead weights in it.

The original feet for this unit were removed at some point in the past, so the previous owner included a set of discs to place under the unit. Although not OEM by any means, they are pretty high quality, apparently oil or gel filled rubber with a thick metal band about it.

So, there it sits, waiting until it's warmed up (which should be helped by the fact that it has one of my room heaters -er -h/k 775's on the shelf under it). Thoughts on sound and the like will be forthcoming.

M Jarve
01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I gave it a couple hours to warm up and stuck one of my MSO hybrid SACD/CDDA's in. No dice. Reads the CD layer fine, no SACD love. I have an email in to the seller, as the picture (seen above) does show it with a SACD in it (reading it, apparently), but if it's the disc I think it is, it's not a hybrid SACD.

It does read regular CD's just fine however, even my most heavily soiled and abused CD-R's. Load times are a bit on the slow side, but not as bad as some players I've owned. My first SACD player (also a Sony) took long enough that I could nuke a cup of coffee, add cream and sugar, and be back in my chair just as it finished loading. And it can't even begin to compete with the positively glacial speed at which my Blue Ray player initializes BRD's.

Sound with Redbook CD's is much better than I had hoped or expected, based on the above comments. I would put it as definite upgrade over the old 640c, and among the best single-box units I've heard, with maybe the Marantz SA-1 having edged it out. My one exception to the overall sound is the slight edginess given to certain types of high-frequencies, though it could just as easily be flatter response up in the 16k-20k range. I guess I'm more used to the slightly softer sound of the Cambridge deck. Bass is tighter and possesses "slam" that I didn't realize the Cambridge was lacking. Vocal ranges, especially female vocals (Julee Cruise, Björk, etc) are much more "analog" sounding, having a delightful sense of air and liveness. Imaging is also exceptional. This is an area where I thought that the 640c could not really be improved upon, and, essentially, I was correct, but I would give the Sony the edge in this- while perceived depth is about the same, the soundstage is a little wider with a better sense of space. Additionally, quieter passages are "blacker", with the ability to really reveal very quiet and low-level detail. Again, this was all stuff that the Cambridge was good at, but the Sony does improve upon it.

I've not really begun to critically examine the various filter settings, but based on the little I have, I would have to say that so far, my preferences lean towards either the "STD" setting or "1" setting. I don't really know what the filters are changing (I have yet to crack open the manual), but the STD setting seems to be well balanced between exposing detail and giving a sense of "air", where as the "1" setting seems to give up a smidgeon of detail in exchange for a greater sense of "air". The other settings seem to progressively make the sound both softer and more ethereal to the point where "4" imparts a slightly exaggerated stereotypical "tube" sound, with a benign, but noticeable lack of focus, but wide and lush "back row" presentation.

And, there you have it- the first 30 minuets summed up. I hope that the issue reading my MSO hybrid discs is simply a compatibility problem, but I won't know for sure until either the unit is examined or I happen to get a SACD-only disc; it's a fine CD player, but I think I could have gotten a "fine CD player" for considerably less, and I was hopping to get a great SACD player out of the deal too.

JohnVF
01-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the review so far...I hope you get the SACD thing figured out. I can't believe how BIG that thing is. It dwarfs my Marantz SA-11s2 and I thought it was huge.

M Jarve
01-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I hope the SACD issue can be sorted as well... The only SACD's I have are the BIS Minnesota Symphony Orchestra Beethoven Symphony Cycle, and not one will initialize as a SACD. I wish now that I had gotten my free DSoTM SACD when I had the chance (it was not a hybrid), just so I could tell if it's a hybrid disc issue or if there really is a problem with the deck. It'd be very disappointing if that were the case. But, we'll wait and see... It was mentioned above that Sony might be able to do something for a $250 flat rate- maybe if I can get the seller to split it, I'd certainly go that route. But then again, I wonder if they'd even work on it, given what's already been done to it... Did I hear tell that Goldear used to work on these? :scratch2:

M Jarve
01-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Hit post a bit early...

On a positive note, the more it warms up, and the more I listen, the more impressed I am. So far the standout thing really is the bass. Stunningly controlled and tight, but still fluid. It's leagues better than anything I've heard before. And, either I'm adjusting, or the deck is warming up more, or both, but the edge to the highs seems to be smoothing out a little.

JohnVF
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
The big thing I noticed when going to a better player was how well ambience, note decay, and reverb were handled. Note decays that sounded foggy before suddenly sounded like they were naturally decaying, off into infinity, in a VERY large space. I bet this Sony player does that very well...I've always liked the sound of Sony CD players and I could only imagine what this beast can accomplish. Leave it on all day and night...I bet it really opens up. I have a Cambridge 640vII and even my lowly Sony RC-W1 sounded better..man, I bet you're in for a treat.

M Jarve
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Got a reply back from the seller. He's adamant that it played SACD's, CDDA's, and hybrids, and I trust him that it did. He also pointed out that it's a big girl with delicate features, and something could easily have been jarred during shipping, which I agree is the most likely scenario. He offered a full refund (sans return shipping), but I declined. I'd be without a CD player for an indeterminate amount of time, until he received it back, sent my money back, I find a new one, send the money, wait for it to get here... Probably end up back where I started. I think I'll just forgo the SACD option for now, and probably use tax returns to send it to Sony, if they'll still work on it.

In the meantime, I'll still have a kick-ass CD player, plus there is still the possibility that a straight SACD will work fine. As an aside, the seller mentioned that his new Oppo had the same exact problem, and it was not until he popped in a straight SACD that it would read the hybrids.

In any event, I put on some Radiohead, which, John, is just the sort of thing to bring out what you describe. Just stunning. There is an almost enveloping sense to the sound, and to paraphrase another member (from another thread) the veil was lifted, and I suddenly knew what they were talking about. As good as the 640c is (and I still consider it a bargain killer), this Sony is demonstrating that it is indeed in a different league. It's nearly good enough that its within striking distance of taking the coveted "most favorite source" title from my PX-2/MC20E2 combo.

Mister Pig
01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
From my perspective you have a machine that at best has seen a good deal of use, and at worst has been abused. Sony its going to charge you to make repairs to the wirimg before they deal withthe transport issue. I have heard they return a machine to stock before repairing. If this goes wrong you get a nine hundred dollar paper weight. If I were on your position I would get my money back and buy a 777 in better shape.

Regards
Mister Pig

M Jarve
01-04-2011, 07:28 PM
From my perspective you have a machine that at best has seen a good deal of use, and at worst has been abused. Sony its going to charge you to make repairs to the wirimg before they deal withthe transport issue. I have heard they return a machine to stock before repairing. If this goes wrong you get a nine hundred dollar paper weight. If I were on your position I would get my money back and buy a 777 in better shape.

Regards
Mister Pig

Words of wisdom, and the seller would seem to agree with you. I'm going to try a friend's straight SACD and see what that does. Otherwise it looks like it's heading back down to Texas, and I'll be in the market for another.

goldear
01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Feel free to PM me if you would like. I'd be happy to walk you through the diagnosis process over the phone if you would like.

M Jarve
01-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Thank you very much for the offer. But it's going back to the seller. Last night a friend with a good collection of SACD's came over, both hybrids and straight SACD's. All told, 14 hybrids and 8 straights were put through it. Of all 22 discs, it only read one hybrid as an SACD (and only once), and two of the straight SACD's (again, intermittently). Decided to admit defeat and box it back up.

Dang, it was a nice deck, though.

So, now comes the long wait... It'll be at least 2-weeks, I'm sure, before I see the refund (he's sending back my original M.O.). But that might end up being a good thing- give me time to plan my next move, so to speak, something less of the "I see it, I want it!" school of purchasing.

Mister Pig
01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Thank you very much for the offer. But it's going back to the seller. Last night a friend with a good collection of SACD's came over, both hybrids and straight SACD's. All told, 14 hybrids and 8 straights were put through it. Of all 22 discs, it only read one hybrid as an SACD (and only once), and two of the straight SACD's (again, intermittently). Decided to admit defeat and box it back up.

Dang, it was a nice deck, though.

So, now comes the long wait... It'll be at least 2-weeks, I'm sure, before I see the refund (he's sending back my original M.O.). But that might end up being a good thing- give me time to plan my next move, so to speak, something less of the "I see it, I want it!" school of purchasing.

Wish you the best of luck with this. I would strongly suspect that the seller knew he had a machine that did not read SACD's. I would think that someone who owns an expensive SACD machine would buy a disc or two to at least try it out. So that makes me question his motive to sell it, and then you are trusting the same person to make things right. As I said I hope it works out ok, be very careful and diligent.

If everything does go as expected, then you got very lucky. Lucky that the machine showed its problems up front, and not four or six weeks down the road, and you getting stuck with the repair bill. The condition of the machine says a lot about how its been treated. Missing feet, who takes feet off a $3.5K player and loses them? Or butchers the internal wiring, certainly not a fastidious owner.

I look for a good price too, but shop carefully. This is especially true in the digital market, where repairs can be spendy. I made a mistake once with a Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 CD player. Got it at a good price, one I could afford, but it developed tracking issues shortly after I bought it. I had to send it back to SF for a new laser assembly. In the mean time SF ibforms me that the SFCD-1 laser assembly gets powered up all the time, whenever the machine is plugged in. So it needs a new $250 laser swap every three to four years. Well once I got it back and verified it was working I sold it. Make sure to carefully my used digital purchases these days.

Regards
Mister Pig

HiFiGuy528
06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
My SCD-777es started to have the same issue with Hybrd SACDs. Will not read the SACD layer. I would send it to Sony, buy I worry that they will bang up my minty unit. Your thoughts? Sony charge $200 flat rate.

wsjoe
06-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I own the SCD-1 and as someone mentioned, it's like molasses when loading a disc. I heard someone say that the SCD-777ES does not take as long as the SCD-1. Mine takes about 20 seconds to load one. Can someone measure how long the 777 takes please?

jblnut
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
FWIW I went through this exact thought process. I looked heavily at the 777 and SCD1 as there are a lot of used ones out there. Ultimately I decided the new XA5400 ES was the better solution. For starters it's brand new and the 5 year warranty clock starts the moment you buy it. It's comparably priced to either of these big boys from yesteryear, and for all their build quality they do develop issues that will require some $$$ to attend to.

No, it doesn't weigh a ton and it doesn't have that same "built like a tank" feeling. But the *sound* is spectacular (another 10 years of digital advancement can't be ignored) and in the end, that's the bottom line.

Has anyone here ever compared the the older SCD1/777 to the 5400? I'd be curious to know how close they are...

jblnut

HiFiGuy528
06-27-2011, 01:13 PM
I have all three players, but have not had a chance to compare due to lack of free time. I do plan on doing so and will report back.

I ordered a new IC for my SCD777es in hopes it will fix the problem I'm experiencing.

Does the laser need to be realigned when installing a new one?

Sound Dragon
06-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Funny I was in the process of starting a new thread about whether the SCD-1 and the SCD-777 are still relevant today, especially when compared to newer players. I too am curious what the consensus is in comparing the SCD-1/777 to a newer player of today. I really want one of the older players but i am tired of shelling out cash to fix used stuff. I have to admit the top loading missile bay door is almost worth the price of admission.

jblnut
06-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Funny I was in the process of starting a new thread about whether the SCD-1 and the SCD-777 are still relevant today, especially when compared to newer players. I too am curious what the consensus is in comparing the SCD-1/777 to a newer player of today. I really want one of the older players but i am tired of shelling out cash to fix used stuff. I have to admit the top loading missile bay door is almost worth the price of admission.

That's precisely where Sony aimed too high - they over thought the spindle bigtime. A cd player is not an analog turntable. All the data is read through a buffer so exact moment to moment rotational speed accuracy is not relevant.

I think it looks cool as hell but it was obviously not built for the long haul ( despite the heft and the otherwise sturdy nature of the unit).

Complexity for the sake of complexity should always be avoided...and our hobby has a boatload of it :D.

Jblnut

Sound Dragon
06-28-2011, 07:52 PM
As luck would have it a buddy of mine has the SCD-XA5400 and has gratiously agreed to lend it to me for a week or so while he goes on vacation. I also just committed to buying an SCD-777! I know that you all think I have lost my mind but the deal was too good to let slip through my fingers. I am stoked!!!:banana:
Any way, I hope to be able to do a side by side shoot out of these two units and will report back. I have been lusting after the SCD-777 for a long time and can't wait to seal the deal and get her home! SCD-XA5400 Will be arriving here on Sunday. I am so excited!

HiFiGuy528
06-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Nice.... Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the two. If I have time this weekend, I'll do a comparison between all three, SCD-1, SCD-777es, & XA5400es and report back.

Mr. Lin
06-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Too bad about the outcome of this - is there any update Mike? That's an impressive looking machine; I didn't even know Sony made top-loader CD players.

I wonder if you might be better off buying a new Marantz SACD player in the ~$1k range, at this point.

Sound Dragon
07-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Well spent the week with a XA5400 that belongs to a co worker buddy of mine. I must say it is a well rounded player. Red book sounds great through it. I am on the fence about its 2 channel SACD play back, However multi channel sounds awesome which seems to be the same conclusion Aker Herr Eickhorn has come to in his thread. I was really hoping to do a side by side comparison of this unit and the SCD 777, but it looks like this unit will be going back home before my 777 arrives. A shame really. I did have an XA9000es here a few weeks ago though, A loaner from my repair tech who was working on my soon to be retired sony x777es. to me the results were the opposite of the XA5400es. The XA9000es did a great job on SACD 2 channel and multi channel tracks but fell short when compared to a few tried and true redbook players I own on regular CD. The XA5400es loads faster then most other Sony's I have demo'd as well, Though not as fast as a Marantz SA8003 or SA11s1. I have a strange loyalty to Sony when it comes to SACD and Cd players in my systems. I can see me purchasing an XA5400es, But that won't be for a while yet. I can't wait to get the SCD 777.

goldear
07-09-2011, 02:14 PM
The Sony 777 stock is a good sounding machine. The 777 with the very best mods out there is in a whole different class, which is capable of putting some of the very best analog and digital front ends to shame.

Audio Maniac
07-20-2011, 07:32 AM
I am thinking of getting a second hand Sony SCD-777ES but I am afraid of not finding its laser assembly if things goes wrong.

Does anybody know it it's laser assembly is still available for replacement?

guiller
07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
I am thinking of getting a second hand Sony SCD-777ES but I am afraid of not finding its laser assembly if things goes wrong.

Does anybody know it it's laser assembly is still available for replacement?

Quoted from http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=238117

Your laser sled assembly has probably failed. Or more specifically, the SACD laser went bad. This is the part you'd likely need: A6062396A.

On the internet it is mentioned that this part number corresponds to the laser pickup KHS-180A .

There is a related discussion on the laser life issues of this player here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/75996-sony-777es-laser.html

PS: an eBay seller from Taiwan charges about 160 $ for the laser assembly (picture taken from the auction site).

http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/3a/0f/afa5_1.JPG

Sound Dragon
07-21-2011, 07:12 PM
My SCD-777 arrived today and I am like a kid who just recieved another add on piece to his toy train set. First off I will say that the SCD-777 is HEAVY. It sounds great and just has a presence of its own. Sonically I like what I am hearing. I will reserve my opinion until I have spent some more time with it. Off the bat though, I like it more on SACD then the SCD-XA5400es but less on red-book. Well that's just initially anyway. It blows the SCD-XA9000es out of the water though. Load time seems a bit long. I will try to report back with better developed impressions after I put it through its paces. It sure is a looker in a zen sort of way in total contrast to the Scott it is connected to.

Audio Maniac
08-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Dear Guiller,

It's very kind of you .Thank you very much indeed.

Regards,

Quoted from http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=238117

Your laser sled assembly has probably failed. Or more specifically, the SACD laser went bad. This is the part you'd likely need: A6062396A.

On the internet it is mentioned that this part number corresponds to the laser pickup KHS-180A .

There is a related discussion on the laser life issues of this player here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/75996-sony-777es-laser.html

PS: an eBay seller from Taiwan charges about 160 $ for the laser assembly (picture taken from the auction site).

http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/3a/0f/afa5_1.JPG

HiFiGuy528
08-06-2011, 10:04 AM
The SCD-777es is so pretty to look at. Congratulation on getting one. It's a keeper.