View Full Version : Best speaker to pair with a Marantz 2230?

piperwarrior
01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I'd like to put together a small system with a Marantz 2230 I'm wondering if anyone can recommend to me a speaker (new or used, vintage or modern, does not matter) that would pair nicely with this receiver.

I mainly listen to 60's jazz vinyl and the room it will be in is not huge, but I would like annoy the neighbors on occasion.

Here is the kicker, I would to stay under $500 if possible, Quality not pricy is the key.

Any Ideas?

icenine
01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
EPI M-50 or similar vintage EPI ....I also recommend DCM Timeframes 250 or above

michiganpat
01-10-2011, 11:58 AM
For me, vintage marantz solid state and new england acoustic suspension speakers are just meant to be

I've run refurbished AR18's and Smaller Advent loudspeakers with a 2230 in my office (12x12 room). both sound wonderful with this receiver, and get very loud. the smaller advent goes another 1/2 to full octave lower (-3db of the AR18's is ~50hz, the SA's will dig down to ~35hz). used/refurbed with new surrounds and caps, you should be able to get into either speaker for $150 or less even on ebay.. $500 would get you easily into some AR2ax's or AR5's, and even into some of the 12" woofer AR models, maybe a set of 3/3a's, AR11's, or a 58S/58B, or AR91's....

Flammaster
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Get some AR 4x.

superdog
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a 2230 paired with AR4X and JBL L26.Couldn't think of a better combination of speakers.The ARs for vinyl jazz and the JBLs for rock.

michiganpat
01-10-2011, 01:14 PM
if you like a little DIY, check out the Indignia thread here, too....

parts would be ~ $130+ build your own cab, or get the dayton cabs, and have some nice speakers for under $300, some assembly required.

audiojones
01-10-2011, 04:14 PM
The Dynaco A-25 is a great match for that little receiver, especially considering the type of music that you're likely to be listening to. The A-25 and the 2230 play very nicely together!

KeninDC
01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I have a 2238 paired w/ B&W DM 601 (series 2) bookshelf speakers. A nice match. Synergy and all that.

With a 2230 - or 2238 for that matter - and B&W bookshelf speakers, you will be able to play loud enough for the neighbors to hear, but do not expect to CRANK it.

h1pst3r88
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
I run my 2230 into Vienna Acoustic Bach Grands (Vienna Theatros as well) and it is so lush I melt into the couch. I am listening to a Tierney Sutton SACD on that combo (Theatros, 6ohm) right now and I have a rather stupid smile while typing this (tho' that could be the beer).

Yay, my first post!

vascon1
01-12-2011, 07:18 PM
I listen to 60's jazz primarily and my 2230 is paired with some re-foamed smaller advents. No complaints here whatsoever ...

Markw
01-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I have a 2230 paired with AR4X and JBL L26.Couldn't think of a better combination of speakers.The ARs for vinyl jazz and the JBLs for rock.This is truly the best of both worlds. Both speakers are perfectly "balanced" for that receiver: Neither too big nor too small. Just right...

h1pst3r88
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Just came across some original Advent 1s in pretty great shape. Any sense of how those would fit with the 2230?

Thanks

kn8243
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Trust me here. Klipsch Kg4's or something of the JBL line.

h1pst3r88
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Vintage JBLs?

hello9821
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I had good luck running a 2235B and a pair of JBL L65s.

Gang-Twanger
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Poor guy's got choices being flung at him from left and right. Well here's a couple more:

For that sort of receiver, like they said, any good, well-made east-coast or British late '60's-early '70's sealed/acoustic-suspension speaker would do the trick. Acoustic Research (People usually refer to them as 'AR' around here), Advent (LA = Large Advents, NLA = New Large Advents, possibly other models, but best to check back here first before buying), Wharfedale (They made some very-good sealed AND ported models - W40D, W60D, W40E, W60E - the 4-way ported or sealed W70's are great, but probably-too-big for your needs), Celestion (Certain 'Ditton' models are excellent, but again check back here first), Boston Acoustics, etc. Some other good names to look for are Dynaco (A pair of A25's or A25XL's would be great for your needs), Bozak, EPI, etc..

Currently, I'm listening to a Sansui 2000x (39w per channel - Introduced in '72, same as the 2230 - Similar FET construction in the output-stage - Similar smooth, warm sound) through a pair of Wharfedale W60E's (3-way acoustic-suspension design with a 12.5" woofer, 5" midwoofer, and a mylar dome-tweeter), and it sounds great. They were a great match for my 2000x. The sound is smooth, warm, and non-fatiguing, and they have a nice, smooth, yet tight bottom-end (These speakers never leave you wanting more bass - Lots of dynamic punch - Snare drums have a great snap to them). Excellent mids (Vocal-reproduction is incredibly-lifelike). I've found that speaker-positioning is the key to these speakers. For my living room, placing them in each corner works best, however, I have them a good 3-4ft out from the corner-walls. Perhaps placing them closer into each corner would sound better, but I just don't have the room in here to try right now. Point is, when I got them in front of each corner, that's when they blossomed. The sound became much-more-open and spacious, bass-response and dynamics were dramatically-improved, and I am clearly-hearing much-more detail and clarity now. The W40E is a smaller-sized model from the same series - I suggested that one because I thought there was a chance that the W60E was too-big for you, but it may not be.

drummergrl
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I run my 2230 into Vienna Acoustic Bach Grands (Vienna Theatros as well) and it is so lush I melt into the couch. I am listening to a Tierney Sutton SACD on that combo (Theatros, 6ohm) right now and I have a rather stupid smile while typing this (tho' that could be the beer).

Yay, my first post!

Aren't these well out of his price range of $500, like more than double??

I can vouch for the AR4x's, wish I had some vintage JBL's!!

bigM
01-12-2011, 10:03 PM
I have 5 pairs of EPI speakers that that I take turns playing through my Yamaha CR-440 purchased in 1979.

I've been planning on getting another vintage receiver and today came home with a Marantz 2230. I've got it teamed with a pair of EPI 60's in my living room right now.

Wow do they sound nice together - as I sit here and type

I would recommend the harder to find EPI 50's or 60's, (I own a pair of each) if you have a smaller listening space. The much more common EPI 100 (I own 3 pairs) is easier to find. Grab a pair when they come up on of your local Craigslist or _bay. Don't worry if the woofer surrounds are rotten - they are easy to repair/replace.

This combination EPI and Marantz 2230 is totally non-fatiguing. Had them on for 3 hours now and they sound better and better. Just plugged my daughter's Ipod into the receiver and even music that I would never listen to sounds great. (including some jazz so)

These speakers generally go up to the $100 range, though many find them for a few dollars at thrift stores. I would pay up to a little over $100 for 1st pair if they are in nice shape and a little more if they have real walnut veneer in nice shape.
Mike

62sunbeam
01-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Dahlquist!

You'll be glad you did.

Eric

michiganpat
01-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Just came across some original Advent 1s in pretty great shape. Any sense of how those would fit with the 2230?

Thanks

like peas in a pod....

it's essentially a new large advent speaker in a smaller advent cabinet. you loose a little bit of the low end, due to the higher Q alignment, but I really like my Smaller Advent/2230 combo....

could maybe even play around with the advent 1's by adding an aperiodic vent in it, to lower the Q, and maybe gain a little low end....

hellhound94
01-13-2011, 11:01 AM
With my Marantz 2230, I've had really great sound with JBL 4311's or 4312's, as well as Klipsch KG-4.

piperwarrior
01-16-2011, 11:49 PM
[B]Thanks for everyones help, I'm thinking JBL L26's or Dynaco L-25's but I'm intrigued by the Klipsch KG4's I've found on _bay .I notice they are 6 ohm's, can the 2230 push these alright?

Second question, I have pair of Sansui SP-5000 in the basement I inherited from the in-laws. I'm thinking of setting these up for use as "set B" speakers, any thoughts on how these my sound/work with this receiver before I drag them up the stairs? (they are monsters)

Third question, from an audiophile point of view, how big of a no-no would it be to use the sansui's as "speaker stands" :thmbsp:for the smaller JBL's or Dynaco's or any other speaker I might be getting?

Thanks everyone

tubed
01-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Hpm-100

hellhound94
01-18-2011, 09:44 AM
I have used JBL 4311's, JBL 4312's, JBL L830's, and Klipsch KG-4's successfully with my 2230. All have sounded good to me. I do think that alot will depend on the room.

audiojones
01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
[B]Thanks for everyones help, I'm thinking JBL L26's or Dynaco L-25's but I'm intrigued by the Klipsch KG4's I've found on _bay .I notice they are 6 ohm's, can the 2230 push these alright?

Second question, I have pair of Sansui SP-5000 in the basement I inherited from the in-laws. I'm thinking of setting these up for use as "set B" speakers, any thoughts on how these my sound/work with this receiver before I drag them up the stairs? (they are monsters)

Third question, from an audiophile point of view, how big of a no-no would it be to use the sansui's as "speaker stands" :thmbsp:for the smaller JBL's or Dynaco's or any other speaker I might be getting?

Thanks everyone

Using the Sansuis as speaker stands might raise the speakers a little too far from the floor, ideally I think the older "bookshelf" speakers sound best with the woofer a little closer to the floor but you'll have to experiment.

The Sansui speakers I've heard (can't remember the number but they had a bunch of drivers and a huge woofer) sounded awful. I don't know about your particular model but my take on them is that Sansui should have stuck to making great receivers, amps and tuners and left the speakers to someone else.

I don't know the JBL model that you quoted but I do know that the Dynaco A-25 is a great match (like I said before) and they are usually very inexpensive and plentiful. 6 ohm is basically the same as an 8 ohm load to an amp, so it can drive the Klipsch without a problem.

Big Tuna
01-18-2011, 03:56 PM
yeah, wow, lots of input and choices. I will chime in and share my experience. I haven't had a 2230 but I did have a 2275 and that receiver paired with Model 7MKII Marantz speakers just completely blew me away! High end that was not shrill or harsh, midrange that was clear and clean, without coloration, and bass flatter than a smashed pancake.(loudness off at high volume) I think the smaller receivers benefit from ported design being more efficient and generating more SPL's with lower power, however, a semi-efficient suspension design such as the 7MKII's just delivered every bit of the 2275's power with precision only a doctor could deliver during an operation. ok, ok, I know I sound like I 'm bragging, but I can't help but be truthful. My neighbors will testify on my behalf. :D

CopperWizard
01-14-2014, 11:44 PM
I just found a Marantz 2230 and obviously paired them with the Imperial 6's. Very different sound than with the Sansui 3300. I like the sound a lot. I think another set of speakers is in order to now cross compare. I love this hobby/listening enjoyment!

Jnevill
01-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Hpm-100

Lol!

Yeah, that's my answer to everything. HPM it.