View Full Version : Official Jolida JD9 thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

jmathers
01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
I think I'll be ordering OpAmps next week.

What opamps are you getting?

Jeff

roggae
01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Great thread guys! Love to see all your mods!!!

Edriz
01-26-2012, 08:34 AM
For OpAmps, Im thinking:
LT1028 in 5&6, OPA627 in 3&4 and AD843 in 1&2

Dont ask how I came up with these but, if anybody has different or better suggestions, Id like to hear them

Edriz
01-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I believe :) somewhere in this thread I wrote about installing Obbligatos. Later on I added a by-pass cap

Give them at least 50hrs (interesting thread about break-in time in THINKING OUT LOUD forum)

Opamps will kickup the JD9 a few notches

Are you talking about the thread about Crites talkin about break in time? Thats the only one I seen

tommy499
02-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I have just bought a used JD 9. It came without an owners manual. I am confused on how to set the dip switches. I found the switch chart in an earlier post.

My cartridge:

Shure
V15 VxMR
Shure V15 VxMR

Type
moving magnet Output Voltage 3mv
Frequency Response 10Hz - 25kH
Tracking Force 1.5-1.75g
Mass 6.6g

Channel Separation > 30dB
Channel Balance < 1.5dB

Load Impedance 47k ohms

Output Impedance 650 ohms

Stylus VN5xMR
Stylus Tip micro ridge 0.15 x 3.0mil

Cantilever beryllium 18mil Dynamic Compliance 25 x10-6cm/Dyne

Static Compliance
Notes
The N97XE stylus will fit as a downgrade replacement.

I am thinking that I should set the 1-2-3-switch OFF and the 4 switch ON for 47,000 ohms. Not sure what to do with the 5-8 switches and the 1-3 gain switches.

2 sets of dip switches......1-8 and 1-3 top and bottom....is this for the left and right channels? Set them the same?

Any help would be appreciated

Tom

Edriz
02-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I have just bought a used JD 9. It came without an owners manual. I am confused on how to set the dip switches. I found the switch chart in an earlier post.

My cartridge:

Shure
V15 VxMR
Shure V15 VxMR

Type
moving magnet Output Voltage 3mv
Frequency Response 10Hz - 25kH
Tracking Force 1.5-1.75g
Mass 6.6g

Channel Separation > 30dB
Channel Balance < 1.5dB

Load Impedance 47k ohms

Output Impedance 650 ohms

Stylus VN5xMR
Stylus Tip micro ridge 0.15 x 3.0mil

Cantilever beryllium 18mil Dynamic Compliance 25 x10-6cm/Dyne

Static Compliance
Notes
The N97XE stylus will fit as a downgrade replacement.

I am thinking that I should set the 1-2-3-switch OFF and the 4 switch ON for 47,000 ohms. Not sure what to do with the 5-8 switches and the 1-3 gain switches.

2 sets of dip switches......1-8 and 1-3 top and bottom....is this for the left and right channels? Set them the same?

Any help would be appreciated

Tom

sort of, 1-3 are for cartidge type. 1-4 and 5-8 for ohm and Capacitance. Yes, set top and bottom the same. The cart specs should say what to set. But, that is mostly a guide. The V15 bveing MM set the 1st switch for MM cart. set the ohm to switch 4 like you have it. try setting switch 8 on. Thats just a starting point. after that, let yer ears do the talkin. Im sure others can help out more

Poultrygeist
02-03-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm bewildered so would someone be so kind as to share their setting for a Shure M97xE? Thanks in advance.

jmathers
02-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Here's how I look at the charts and I'm sure this has been posted in the thread but maybe not all in one place. FWIW: I always use the high outputs on the back - if I had a cart with gobs of gain, a Rega Elys for example, I'd consider using the low outputs:

Gain Settings
1 Moving Magnet Cartridges
2 Moving Coil Cartridges with not too low output
3 Moving Coil Cartridges with low output

The Jolida is packed with gain so you may run say a Medium Output Moving coil (as I do with my Benz Ace Medium) with only gain setting 1 switch on. So adjust as necessary - the terms Moving Magnet and Moving Coil are only a guide since there's so damn much gain available.

Most folks prefer moving magnet carts with all gain setting switches OFF.

Loading Settings (some Moving Coils like settings other than 47K)
1&2&3 up .........70
1&2 .................75
1 ...................100
2&3 ................230
2 ...................300
3 .................1000
4 ...............47000

Most folks use only 4 ON (47000) for moving magnet carts.

Capacitance (for Moving Magnet cartridges only!)
Keep everything OFF until you do some listening. Then adjust as necessary. Don't forget that your phono cable already provides some level of capacitance.

No harm in playing around with these switches.

Jeff

Edriz
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Here's how I look at the charts and I'm sure this has been posted in the thread but maybe not all in one place. FWIW: I always use the high outputs on the back - if I had a cart with gobs of gain, a Rega Elys for example, I'd consider using the low outputs:

Gain Settings
1 Moving Magnet Cartridges
2 Moving Coil Cartridges with not too low output
3 Moving Coil Cartridges with low output

The Jolida is packed with gain so you may run say a Medium Output Moving coil (as I do with my Benz Ace Medium) with only gain setting 1 switch on. So adjust as necessary - the terms Moving Magnet and Moving Coil are only a guide since there's so damn much gain available.

Most folks prefer moving magnet carts with all gain setting switches OFF.

Loading Settings (some Moving Coils like settings other than 47K)
1&2&3 up .........70
1&2 .................75
1 ...................100
2&3 ................230
2 ...................300
3 .................1000
4 ...............47000

Most folks use only 4 ON (47000) for moving magnet carts.

Capacitance (for Moving Magnet cartridges only!)
Keep everything OFF until you do some listening. Then adjust as necessary. Don't forget that your phono cable already provides some level of capacitance.

No harm in playing around with these switches.

Jeff

Im using a Dynavector Karat 23RS with .24mV. I have mine hooked to the Low Output RCA';s. You're saying you would use the Hi Output RCA's with this carts output? On my Dip switches, on 1-3 for cart type, I have 3 on. With 1-8 I have 3 up and 8 up. What you think?

jmathers
02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Im using a Dynavector Karat 23RS with .24mV. I have mine hooked to the Low Output RCA';s. You're saying you would use the Hi Output RCA's with this carts output? On my Dip switches, on 1-3 for cart type, I have 3 on. With 1-8 I have 3 up and 8 up. What you think?

I'd definitely use the high outputs with the Karat. Turn 8 OFF you don't need any capacitance for moving coil carts. I'd bump the gain down to 2 (maybe even 1) for the Karat with high outputs. 3 UP will give you 1000ohms, probably right for the Dyna but don't be afraid to experiment with different loadings - not enough high end, then open it up a bit by going to a bigger number (47K is as open as this thing goes, and you may find it a bit too etched with the Karat).

Jeff

Frank Sol
02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
This is worth reviewing and keep the vertical dip-switches (upper/lower or top/bottom) in the same place. Both on or Both off

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=249933&d=1294948156

Edriz
02-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I'd definitely use the high outputs with the Karat. Turn 8 OFF you don't need any capacitance for moving coil carts. I'd bump the gain down to 2 (maybe even 1) for the Karat with high outputs. 3 UP will give you 1000ohms, probably right for the Dyna but don't be afraid to experiment with different loadings - not enough high end, then open it up a bit by going to a bigger number (47K is as open as this thing goes, and you may find it a bit too etched with the Karat).

Jeff

Guess Im somewhat confused as to which switches is the gain. Are they the 1-3 switches for MM, MC hi, and MC low?

jmathers
02-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Guess Im somewhat confused as to which switches is the gain. Are they the 1-3 switches for MM, MC hi, and MC low?

You got it:yes:

Edriz
02-04-2012, 09:57 AM
You got it:yes:

Cool. Im gonna move to the High Output and turn 8 off to start. Thanks

Frank Sol
02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Cool. Im gonna move to the High Output and turn 8 off to start. Thanks

:scratch2:

5-8 = off for your MC

Edriz
02-04-2012, 10:34 AM
:scratch2:

5-8 = off for your MC

Just turned 8 off. With the 1-4, I have 3 on and with the 1-3 gain Im using 3 on.

Frank Sol
02-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Edriz , keep at it :thmbsp:

It is impossible to tell you what would sound best sitting where I'm at

If I had your cart in my system this is where I would begin

remember both top & bottom switches should be the same

1-on 2-off 3-off 4-off

5-off 6-off 7-off 8-off

High Output 1-on 2-off 3-off

jmathers
02-04-2012, 10:55 AM
High Output 1-on 2-off 3-off

Yep, agree on the gain. Start low and then if necessary bump it up to 2.

Jeff

Frank Sol
02-04-2012, 11:01 AM
that is the thing about gain - higher gain may sound 'better' the 1st few minutes after moving up but will be fatiguing in one hour

Edriz
02-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Tried it on the High Output RCA's with MC Low #3 on and 1-4, #3 on, 5-8 off. wicked cracklin comin out the tweeters. Next Im gonna try Franks settings.

Edriz
02-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Now, 1-4, 1 on; 5-8, all off and 1-3, 1 on. Much better :yes: Think Ill leave it here for a couple days. Then do some playin. I think the #1 switch on the 1-3 gains is good with the High Output RCA's is gonna work out okay. Might just play with 1-4 for a bit.

Still gotta get those OpAmps ordered too. This week for sure. Wonder once I get the OpAmps swapped if all this will change?

Edriz
02-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Well, I just got the new OpAmps installed. Here's what I did. LT-1028acn in #5&6; OPA627ap in #3&4 and AD843kzn in 1&2.

Well, thats it. Any thoughts? I was also wondering, about how many hours would these need for burn in time. I just turned the JD9 on so Im gonna give it a few minutes to warm up before playing a record.

bigdirty
02-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Well, I just got the new OpAmps installed. Here's what I did. LT-1028acn in #5&6; OPA627ap in #3&4 and AD843kzn in 1&2.

Well, thats it. Any thoughts? I was also wondering, about how many hours would these need for burn in time. I just turned the JD9 on so Im gonna give it a few minutes to warm up before playing a record.

Hey edriz, enjoy your weekend!!

Edriz
02-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Man, the JD9 sounds incredible now. I am in aw!!. Just stunning. Soundstage is wider, alot more definition across the board. Listened to Alan Parson~Vulture Culture and now Al DiMeola~Electric Rondevous. Almost seems like Al and the guys are sitting in here with me. Even had a tear fallin down the cheek. Simply in aw. I cant believe the distinct difference.

Dont know how long it's gonna take to burn in the new OpAmps but if there is any way the JD9 is gonna sound better then it does now, all I can say is WOW.

Frank Sol
02-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Enjoy my friend , enjoy! :music:

Poultrygeist
02-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm enjoying my black beauty bone stock but where can I find a summary of the best or most popular mods so far? Thanks

Frank Sol
02-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm enjoying my black beauty bone stock but where can I find a summary of the best or most popular mods so far? Thanks

In this thread :D Get a cup of coffee & start at page 1

Poultrygeist
02-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Guess I need to sift through a few hundred posts. Can I have a glass of wine instead?

Frank Sol
02-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Guess I need to sift through a few hundred posts. Can I have a glass of wine instead?

wine? sure!

i believe most will agree that to begin with roll tubes & change caps on tubes - but everyone will have their fav brand names. so the variations are endless

after that ^

the sky is the limit

Homerx
02-11-2012, 04:35 PM
What the basic model like out of the Box. Always something I've considered getting to play with the AT440 loading and move into MC at somepoint

Frank Sol
02-12-2012, 05:43 AM

You should become an 'AK Subscriber' then checkout the 'Barter Town' forum :D

Edriz
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
So far, I have listened to 15 records since swapping the OIpAms. I am still in aw. Its just astounding what the differences are. I don't think I'll ever get over the improvement. I don't know how long it takes to burn in the new OPAmps but can it be possible to sound any better then it does now? I just cant see how. Stunning, simply stunning

Poultrygeist
02-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Here's a heads up for anyone getting ready to purchase a JD-9. While the ones from Jolida.net ( China ) are a little cheaper you will be charged ( effective 1-1-12 ) duty, customs and taxes. Although my JD-9 came a couple of weeks ago I received the bill from FedEx yesterday. I almost wet my pants as it came to $168.75. Last night I fired off an email to Marc asking what the heck was going on? He assured me there must be a mistake but it didn't make me sleep any better. This morning I called FedEx and learned that $150 of the total, billed as brokerage, ancillary services was in error. My invoice was reduced to $18.75 which is no big deal but I'm not much for surprises.

Frank Sol
02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Here's a heads up for anyone getting ready to purchase a JD-9. While the ones from Jolida.net ( China ) are a little cheaper you will be charged ( effective 1-1-12 ) duty, customs and taxes. Although my JD-9 came a couple of weeks ago I received the bill from FedEx yesterday. I almost wet my pants as it came to $168.75. Last night I fired off an email to Marc asking what the heck was going on? He assured me there must be a mistake but it didn't make me sleep any better. This morning I called FedEx and learned that $150 of the total, billed as brokerage, ancillary services was in error. My invoice was reduced to $18.75 which is no big deal but I'm not much for surprises.

Yep... something like that happened to me twice when purchasing gear from China/Taiwan.

Poultrygeist
02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
I doubt there's much difference. The soldering in my .net JD9 is pretty good. The gold logo means it's a Md. unit.

The Jolida tubes, probably made by Shuguang, are decent but the Fisher Telefunkens I found in my tube stash are an improvement but not drastic.

This sub $400 phono stage has no business sounding this good.

mace
02-16-2012, 01:03 PM
This is worth reviewing and keep the vertical dip-switches (upper/lower or top/bottom) in the same place. Both on or Both off

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=249933&d=1294948156

Just verifying.
If I want a 1k load I just put switch 3 up, L&R?

jmathers
02-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes. Switch number 3 both ON (impedance/resistance settings) gives 1Kohms.

Jeff

Edriz
02-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Bump with some pics of my modified JD9.

Im using AD843KN in the output, op627 in the middle and LT1028 in the right op sockets. Ampohm output caps. Tantalum resistors and silver mica in the loading board. Amtrans carbon film resistor in series with the valve input. Cree Silicon Carbide Schottky Diodes in the power supply.

What fun :music:

Okay, I had to see these pictures!! Could you expain what the 4 black caps are, what they do and why did you add them?

Oh, and which OpAmp sockets are ins, outs and not ins or outs? I used the same OpAmps as you and put them in the same sockets. I just dont know what the sockets are. Yeah, Im a self professed technoidiot!! :yes:

bajaed
02-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Question for you JD9 guys. I'm considering the Jolida along with the Jasmine and the GCPH.

How do you thing the new upgraded versions of the JD9 will compare to the aftermarket hot rodded versions and owner upgraded units?

Is the SE-1 version enough of an upgrade to warrant the extra charge?

http://www.jolida.net/products/jolida%20JD9-SE.htm

Frank Sol
02-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Is the SE-1 version enough of an upgrade to warrant the extra charge?

http://www.jolida.net/products/jolida%20JD9-SE.htm

cannot say

I do NOT know of anyone who has one... or has their #2 or #3 upgraded units

I do know a few people with the Underwood upgraded units - I will just say that the #2 & #3 versions from Underwood are easily done by the end user and waaayyyy cheaper

I believe i got the the best deal possible. I got a used Underwood #1 cheaper than a new stock JD9 then personalized it to my taste.

rcspkramp
02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Just thought I'd throw mine into the mix here. Sounding pretty good.

rkay5
02-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post

Hi,
Last year I order myJD9 from Jolida.net paypal them $345.00 and never payed a cent more so I do see why you should have pay anymore the cost from Jolida the real one by the way.

invenio
02-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Does anybody know of a step by step instruction guide to upgrade the opamps. I am not very knowledgable about electronics and reading circuit diagrams. I have done some soldering work with DIY interconnect cables. I even made a guide for other who want to try it. Here it is: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6628

I am looking for this kind of step by step instruction vs "here try these opamps". This thread is awesome and so many great ideas, but need some very clear and descriptive instructions as I don't want to mess up my JD9! Thanks everybody! :)

Frank Sol
02-22-2012, 11:14 AM
invenio ,

1) Open the JD9 up

2) Remove silver cover in top right corner

3) Replace opamps with a puller (no need for soldering) #1&2 Output , #3&4 RIAA , #5&6 Input

As to the opamps brand & model number to use , that will be up to you. I ended up with OPA637ap in all slots

Good Luck

:thmbsp:

invenio
02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Awesome, thanks Frank Sol.

Do you have a similar guide for putting in two output caps? i see that you also did that modification in your 2nd picture.

Another question (sorry but you seem really knowledgeable about the JD9). If you had to rate upgrades in terms of most to least important, ie.. 1. opamps, 2. tubes, 3. ouput caps... etc. What order would they be in. I want to see where is it best to put my upgrade money and see how far I want to go down the line. I want to get the most bang for my buck. :)

Once again, thanks for your input.

jmathers
02-22-2012, 11:32 AM
You can also use small, needle-nose pliers or a screwdriver to remove the opamps - I just grabbed the opamp at either side with pliers (oriented to the back and front of the Jolida unit) and using a gentle rocking motion popped them out. Be careful though. Pullers I believe are available from Radio Shack for less than $5.

Then simply align and press the new ones in. I had to squeeze the pins together slightly on a couple so that each lined up with the existing holes before pressing them in. It's easy to bend these pins so be doubly sure all is well before pressing down to seat the new ones.

Make sure to also look at the orientation of the existing opamps before you remove them. The small mark on the face of each opamp is how the new ones should go in.

Jeff

Frank Sol
02-22-2012, 11:33 AM
invenio , those are random pics from this thread belonging to other AKers - Although I have made those changes in my JD9

I think re-reading this thread starting back at page 1 will answer your questions and give a better/clearer understanding as to what to do

Most people probably do these changes in this order

1. tubes
2. caps
3. opamps

invenio
02-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the hints and advice. I did go through all 20 pages of this thread the other day but it's a bit overwhelming. I think a second reading through may help. Lots of different views and opinions (which is great). It seems people really seem to like the clarity caps as i've seen that mentioned on numerous occasions. I think I may start with changing the tubes as that is pretty easy. I guess I should probably do the output caps after that and then maybe the opamps. I guess the opamps are the most expensive as there are 6 of them to change.

jmathers
02-22-2012, 11:43 AM
I guess I should probably do the output caps after that and then maybe the opamps. I guess the opamps are the most expensive as there are 6 of them to change.

Actually, the opamps I chose were slightly cheaper than the ClarityCaps. I'd probably change the opamps before I put in new caps but that's just me. Opamps make a substantial immediate improvement. The caps you choose are going to take awhile to fully break in.

Definitely do some tube rolling first. Again, you'll notice an immediate difference with various tubes. Don't forget that 12AU7s can be readily substituted. Try 5751s as well.

Jeff

Frank Sol
02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
invenio , it is a fun journey! at least for me so far ;)

see post 223 for a pic of my JD9 it was taken a little over a month ago - i said at the time i was finished 'upgrading' , i lied :)

since then i've rolled the tubes again using Black Sable Sovtek 12AX7LPS this time , added some more SoundCoat and went to all opa637ap opamps

invenio
02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
That looks great! One day maybe mine will be that "tricked out." It looks like I have to make some decisions on where to start. I think the tubes are a no-brainer and very easy to install so that will be #1. I'll have to figure out what to do about the caps and opamps.

invenio
02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
invenio ,

1) Open the JD9 up

2) Remove silver cover in top right corner

3) Replace opamps with a puller (no need for soldering) #1&2 Output , #3&4 RIAA , #5&6 Input

As to the opamps brand & model number to use , that will be up to you. I ended up with OPA637ap in all slots

Good Luck

:thmbsp:

Can you give a reason why you decided to go with the OPA637ap instead of going with OPA627ap? How did this effect your sound? It seems people tend to go more with the OPA627ap's, that's why I am asking.

Currently I'm considering getting Claritycaps, (Mullard or Tung Sol) tubes, and either (OPA627ap or OPA637ap) opamps.

Opinions open and welcome by all. :)

Poultrygeist
02-23-2012, 06:55 AM
FWIW I went with the OPA627 in the outputs 1&2 as someone recommended and now I've decided that whatever gains were made weren't worth it. I hope things change when the Obbligato caps are added. I upgraded to Telefunken tubes ( as I already had a pair on hand ) but I'm not sure high priced tubes used as a buffer make much of a difference.

Frank Sol
02-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Can you give a reason why you decided to go with the OPA637ap instead of going with OPA627ap?

Below is from tests performed between several brands of opamps. How accurate ???

The OPA637 is simply the "uncompensated" version of the OPA627. This means it has a higher bandwidth, but that it won't be stable at low gain levels. The datasheet says that it is minimally stable at a gain of 5, but as with all chips, the higher the gain, the more stable it becomes. The cost and voltage performance are the same as for the 627.

The higher bandwidth of the 637 results in a somewhat more lively sound than the 627. It still has the overall laid-back Burr-Brown characteristic, though. Given the choice between these two chips, I use the 637 when I can live within its gain requirements, but I happily fall back to the 627 otherwise.

HypnoToad
02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Anyone tried the OPA134's?

They are the single circuit version of the OPA2134 and very cheap, in the right circuit they can be very very good.

invenio
02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Below is from tests performed between several brands of opamps. How accurate ???

The OPA637 is simply the "uncompensated" version of the OPA627. This means it has a higher bandwidth, but that it won't be stable at low gain levels. The datasheet says that it is minimally stable at a gain of 5, but as with all chips, the higher the gain, the more stable it becomes. The cost and voltage performance are the same as for the 627.

The higher bandwidth of the 637 results in a somewhat more lively sound than the 627. It still has the overall laid-back Burr-Brown characteristic, though. Given the choice between these two chips, I use the 637 when I can live within its gain requirements, but I happily fall back to the 627 otherwise.

I see. I am using a Dynavector 10x5 high output cartridge http://www.dynavector.com/products/cart/e_10x5.html. Do you think this high output cartridge would be better suited with the OPA627's vs the OPA637's? Thanks for all your input! :)

Type High output moving coil cartridge with flux damper and softened magnetism
Output Voltage 2.5mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/sec.)
Channel Separation 25 dB (at 1KHz)
Channel balance 1.0 dB (at 1KHz)
Frequency response 20 - 20,000Hz (± 2dB)
Compliance 12 x 10-6 cm/dyn
Tracking force 1.8 - 2.2 grams
DC resistance R=150 ohms
Recommended load
impedance >1K ohms
Cantilever 6mm length aluminium pipe
Stylus Elliptical
Weight 7.3 grams

Frank Sol
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
I am using a Dynavector 10x5 low output cartridge

Isn't the Dyna 10x5 an HIGH output MC ?

I dont think the opamps (627/637) would matter that much if any

invenio
02-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Isn't the Dyna 10x5 an HIGH output MC ?

I dont think the opamps (627/637) would matter that much if any

Yes, it is HIGH output. That was a typo, let me go back and correct it. Thanks. I think i'm going to try the 637's.

invenio
02-25-2012, 06:35 PM
So the orders are in, Burr Brown opamps (opa637) x6, JJ tubes, Obbligato caps, and dampening material. Now I have to wait to get all this stuff together and the work begins! I had to order the Obbligato's from Asia so that could take a few weeks to get. I hope that in 1 month from now I'll be listening to a "tricked out" JD9.

I also changed the settings on the back to all DIP switches to off (except #4 is ON) and switched the output interconnects to HIGH output. The dynamic range significantly improved (as did the gain, but without any negative side effects like background noise or distortion) so I am happy.

Poultrygeist
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I've had the Obbligato's burning in for a week and they make a significant difference. I have two opa627ap in the outputs ( 1 & 2 ) and will probably go with four more as used in the Underwood mods. According to the general reviews of op amps the 627 offers greater detail and are top rated for audio. My tubes are Telefunken 12AX7 but I plan to try the Russian Mullards which were prefered over the Tung Sols in the original 6moons review.

To make sure the Obbligato's stay in place I used some small velcro patches from Walmart.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=2091&pictureid=14096

Frank Sol
03-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I've had the Obbligato's burning in for a week and they make a significant difference. I have two opa627ap in the outputs ( 1 & 2 ) and will probably go with four more as used in the Underwood mods.

Nice well made caps! They sound good to boot ;) I recapped a yaqin CD3 tube buffer with Obbligatos and they improved the musicality appreciably

Those Opamps are very good too :thmbsp:

Poultrygeist
03-02-2012, 05:14 PM
I rolled the Russian Mullards in place of the Fisher Telefunkens and they just don't deliver the smoothness of the vintage tubes. The Mullards sound harsh in comparison and less engaging.

Ok here's my take on the op amp decision. Many of the other suggested op amp combinations may be excellent choices but does cost not factor into the equation and could those choices be influenced by what someone happens to have on hand? I don't know but I do believe one could not go wrong with six opa627ap. They may cost more and perhaps other combos are their equal but I'm not sure any would be superior. I took the guess work out of it and just now ordered four more T.I. opa627ap from Mouser who has the better prices ( $21 each ).

Poultrygeist
03-02-2012, 05:31 PM
My black JD9 doesn't show up so well in this photo but it's on a shelf below the old Technics SL.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=2068&pictureid=13848

Poultrygeist
03-10-2012, 10:19 AM
$21 a pop at Mouser but worth every cent. With the Obbligato's, Mullards ( now sounding VG after breakin ) and 6 opa627 the upgrade is just amazing. No dampening of the case is needed as I run mine topless.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=2091&pictureid=14234

Frank Sol
03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
With the Obbligato's, Mullards ( now sounding VG after breakin ) and 6 opa627 the upgrade is just amazing.

Enjoy the Music :music:

You now have a phono-pre that will compete with some much higher price ones! The adjustability (dips on rear) of the Jolida places it in a very nice class

stoutblock
03-13-2012, 12:12 AM
So I have spent about 100 hours with my stock JD9 now. I'm using a Goldring Eroica HOMC cartridge. It has a 2.5mv output, recommended 47k ohm Load Impedance, and 77 Ohm output impedance. Interconnects are standard Avanti Audio.

I have rolled a half dozen 12AX7 tubes and nothing matches the overall smoothness and balance of my Telefunkin smooth plates.

I have tried a bunch of different settings with both the high and low output connections. Even when the settings were obviously not right, the telefunkins tried to make the best of the JD9.

I believe I have settled on using the high outputs, lowest gain (1,2,3 off), and the 47k ohm setting and no capacitance added (4 on, all other switches off).

With some tubes this was a little harsh, but with the telefunkins it remained very smooth and balanced while revealing the most detail and dynamics from the vinyl's surface.

Now that I have the best sound from the stock unit, I will try some of the mods you guys are trying. I will start with the opamps.

Poultrygeist
03-13-2012, 06:17 AM
The difference making mods in order of their contribution IMO :

1 - Obbligato Gold caps
2 - 4 Opa627ap in 3, 4, 5, & 6
3 - 2 Opa627ap in 1 & 2
4 - New burned in Mullards vs vintage Telefunkens ( toss up ) but both better
than Jolida tubes
5 - Removing the tube shields and cover

I wanted to try the much cheaper Opa627's from Chinese sellers on ebay but there was no way to confirm they were the same as Texas Instrument Opa627. I wrote one and he replied, "maybe they are same".

invenio
03-14-2012, 05:25 PM
For anybody that is looking to upgrade their JD9, I made a step by step guide to upgrading the caps, opamps, tubes, and installing dampening material. I hope this guide helps those that are looking to upgrade.

Comments and suggestions welcome! :)

Step by Step guide

(http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855)http://images2.static-bluray.com/htgallery/108241.jpg

eyedoc
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Greetings all
I have a couple of questions about the Jolida JD9.
1) Given that there are 2 Jolidas, which company should I buy from?
2) I read where rkay5 paid $345 for his last year. This seems to be much less than the $499 that I have seen listed. Have they really gone up that much in price?
3) I see adds on Audiogon for units that have been modified already. Does is make sense to go that direction to begin with, or does it make sense to modify it manually?
Thank you all in advance for your opinions.

kevin.

invenio
03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Greetings all
I have a couple of questions about the Jolida JD9.
1) Given that there are 2 Jolidas, which company should I buy from?
2) I read where rkay5 paid $345 for his last year. This seems to be much less than the $499 that I have seen listed. Have they really gone up that much in price?
3) I see adds on Audiogon for units that have been modified already. Does is make sense to go that direction to begin with, or does it make sense to modify it manually?
Thank you all in advance for your opinions.

kevin.

1 + 2. The Maryland and Chinese one are the same design (apparently they are even in litigation over this). There are some minor component differences but it seems like they are equal sounding. The one from China is about $150 dollars cheaper. My personal opinion is that if you buy from China, and spend the extra $150 on upgrades you will be ahead of the $500 Maryland stock preamp. IMHO.

3. The mods really do take this little unit to the next level. As for doing the upgrades vs buying them already done that is up to you. I wrote a step by step guide on upgrading the tubes, opamps, caps, and installing dampening material so if you have a little time and know how to use a soldering iron you can do these yourself. When you buy it modded already, you are basically paying somebody not only for the parts, but the labor (which probably cost more than the parts upgrade). Check out my guide, and if it looks like it's something you could handle then you can save yourself a couple of hundred dollars and do it yourself.

Frank Sol
03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
For anybody that is looking to upgrade their JD9, I made a step by step guide to upgrading the caps, opamps, tubes, and installing dampening material. I hope this guide helps those that are looking to upgrade.

Step by Step guide (http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855)

Good stuff... will be helpful for those taking the plunge in the future!

My only suggestion is to use something wooden (Chopstick) to seat the opamps instead of needle nose pliers

Poultrygeist
03-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Invino, great job!

I bought mine from Jolida.net ( China ) and the newly enforced customs charge will add an additional $20 for US customers but it's still cheaper than Jolida.com ( Md. ).

I would recommend the case dampening if it's run buttoned up. I run mine without any of the covers and there's no resonance to dampen.

Is upgrading the PS cap worthwhile?

eyedoc
03-16-2012, 05:58 PM
I just heard back from the North American distributer for Jolida.net products (House of High Fidelity in Naples, Florida) regarding price and availability for the JD9. It seems that the price is now $429. Is this consistent with what anyone else is hearing? Is this higher price the only option now that there is an “authorized distributer”? Total cost for finished product is now obviously higher… thoughts?

invenio
03-16-2012, 06:06 PM
That's unfortunate. I paid $339 (with shipping) for mine. I think there was also a $20 import fee. But still much better than $429.

eyedoc
03-16-2012, 06:11 PM
With the updated cost involved, is it still worth it or did I stumble on to a great thing one year to late… and the other stupid question: is it really that good?

invenio
03-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Did you contact Jolida.net directly? You may want to try talking with them first.

I think that even at $500 the JD9 is worth it. Especially if you willing to throw in another $150 for upgrades (that you do yourself) and the quality will be of phono preamps that go over $1k. IMHO.

Frank Sol
03-16-2012, 06:40 PM
...and the other stupid question: is it really that good?

FWIW -

My modded JD9 replaced a Dynavector P75II (sold it)

The JD9 made my Dyna DV-20X2-L & Denon DL-S1 sound better plus can be adjusted for my other MM carts

stoutblock
03-16-2012, 07:08 PM
switched the Goldring with a 10x5 now I need to find a new baseline before mods. Love this Dynavector so far!

invenio
03-16-2012, 07:21 PM
switched the Goldring with a 10x5 now I need to find a new baseline before mods. Love this Dynavector so far!

I also run the JD9 with a dynavector 10x5. Out of curiosity, what dip switch and output connector settings do you use? I have Dip #1 (on Gain) and #4 on, all others off and coming out High Output. My JD9 is modded so this might effect the setting somewhat.

eyedoc
03-17-2012, 09:57 AM
I sent an e-mail to jolida.net. I don't expect to hear from them until the first of the week. I will keep you posted if anyone is interested.
thanks for the opinions so far.

stoutblock
03-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I also run the JD9 with a dynavector 10x5. Out of curiosity, what dip switch and output connector settings do you use? I have Dip #1 (on Gain) and #4 on, all others off and coming out High Output. My JD9 is modded so this might effect the setting somewhat.

I have not spent much time with the dyna-JD9 combination yet but it seems to like #1 gain and #3 (1000) on all others off but with low output. High output is simply too loud in my setup with any of the gain switches on.

rkay5
03-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Well it looks like you can not order from jolida.net anymore to get the low price.But $429 is less than the cost of the jolida.com fake JD9.I do love mine.

invenio
03-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Well it looks like you can not order from jolida.net anymore to get the low price.But $429 is less than the cost of the jolida.com fake JD9.I do love mine.
Did you contact them to confirm you can't buy directly anymore? There is no telephone number so everything is done by email, they also don't list the true prices on the website so you have to ask for a quote. You can also bargain a little. They dropped $10 when I asked for a rebate (total paid was $339). Yeah, not much of rebate but still pretty good when compared with the $500 they're asking at other places like Audiogon and ebay.

Poultrygeist
03-18-2012, 05:46 AM
The only other phono stage I have had is a mint Conrad Johnson PV1 with the PV2 upgrades. The modded JD9 is better.

jmathers
03-18-2012, 08:30 AM
But $429 is less than the cost of the jolida.com fake JD9.

Just want to point out for potential buyers that there is no evidence that one or the other Jolida is the "fake" Jolida. This matter is still under litigation AFAIK. It's simply a question of whether or not you want to buy from China or from a US "distributor."

Back on topic, I have tried the following phono stages in my system:

ASL Phono
Lehmann Black Cube SE
McCormack Phono
Cornet II (modded)
Juicy Music Tercel
Audible Illusions MM stage in M3A
K&K Phono

The stock Jolida was better or equal to all of them, excepting the K&K. The K&K was $1300 so it's not too surprising that it was more resolving. IMO, once modded, the Jolida comes close to the K&K for half the price.

Jeff

eyedoc
04-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Guess what I have coming....:banana:

invenio
04-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Guess what I have coming....:banana:
Did you end up buying jolida.net or .com?

mackat
04-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm not familiar with this, there is a fake JD9?

Ben aka MacKat

invenio
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not familiar with this, there is a fake JD9?

Ben aka MacKat
Well, nobody knows which one is the "fake" one. Apparanently the two companies are trying to battle out the rights. Anyway, there is a Jolida that is located in Maryland (.com), and then there is the Chinese one (.net). Both are essentially the same design and the the only difference on the outside is the logo.

jviss
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Fascinating concept. Which is fake - how to tell? Maybe one could listen to both, and the tell which had the smoothest presentation from top to bottom; the nicest 3D soundstage; strongest tightest bass, and the most detail without fatigue?

Or, you could just take a look at the components that are soldered together and evaluate them on those merits.

My guess, and in fact, what I've found to be the case in similar situations, is that the Chinese maker decided to bypass his OEm customer and go straight to the market, and the only difference would be minor cosmetics and price.

invenio
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM
There is an entire forum thread devoted to this if anybody is interested:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=345469

jmathers
04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
My guess, and in fact, what I've found to be the case in similar situations, is that the Chinese maker decided to bypass his OEm customer and go straight to the market, and the only difference would be minor cosmetics and price.

That's my impression, though it may be a little more complex. Currently under litigation. Here's the March 2011 complaint:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52700780/Chattery-Intl-v-Jolida-Inc

Jeff

jviss
04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but it looks to me like the whole thing was thrown out; the injunction was denied, and the motion to dismiss was granted.

jmathers
04-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but it looks to me like the whole thing was thrown out; the injunction was denied, and the motion to dismiss was granted.

This case was a counterclaim by Jolida.com that brought charges of trademark infringement, cybersquatting, tortious inter-ference with economic relations, civil conspiracy, and related claims against Jolida.net. And yes, these charges were dismissed.

Jolida.net had also asked the court to remand the case back to Howard County (a State Court) rather than the Federal court. This too was denied and now the case goes back to the Federal court to decide whether Jolida.net's original case for copyright infringement is valid. So, no solution so far.

Jeff

Tom Brennan
04-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Jolida in Maryland (.com) has been around along quite some time ( I bought my first product from them,an EL 84 integrated amp, from Van L about seven years ago) and has a well established dealer network with 2 excellent dealers I've dealt with here in Chicago, Saturday Audio and Van L Speakerworks. They are legit.

invenio
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
After reading through all the threads I haven't heard any problems with either the Maryland or Chinese JD9. I think if you want to feel better about ordering American you can buy from the Maryland company, if you want to save some money you can get Chinese one. Actually, I think they are both made in China (both manufacturing plants are in close geographic location) it's just that the Maryland company has a presence here in the US.

stoutblock
04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
This sure is a great thread and thanks to everyone for blazing the trail on these mods. I just installed (6) OPA637AP opamps and this sure takes this phono stage to another level. Using a Dynavector 10x5, high outputs with all gain switches off, and Telefunken SP tubes and for the first time I am starting to hear the potential of vinyl on my system.

Next mod will be replacing the caps...

squirrelnest
04-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Pic of my Jolida JD9 tube phono....I use the stock tubes but soon will try others....phono is held down by a 50lb jolida stereo tube power amp to drive a pair of K-Horns.....

Poultrygeist
04-05-2012, 09:42 PM
The caps make the greatest difference of all the mods. I went with the Obbligato's and couldn't be happier.

stoutblock
04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
The caps make the greatest difference of all the mods. I went with the Obbligato's and couldn't be happier.

They are on the way. I also bought some new wire.

midfi
04-06-2012, 12:50 AM

agreed... I have them in mine along with a tube and opamps swap it's an entirely different machine. Oh, and lots of sound deadening material...

Ant1-Hero
04-06-2012, 07:08 AM
I bought mine 2nd hand with a few mods done, for some reason he cut the ground wire on the unit, can someone explain why he might have done that?

invenio
04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
I bought mine 2nd hand with a few mods done, for some reason he cut the ground wire on the unit, can someone explain why he might have done that?
The only thing I can think of is he was having some kind of ground loop issue. However, this is really dangerous and I would recommend you have it fixed as equipment that should be grounded and are not can build up dangerous voltages. This is why in some countries ground lift plugs are illegal.

Edriz
04-06-2012, 07:58 AM
One more thing I need to do, add more sound dampening material to the top cover. Something I totally ignored when I did my mods. I also want to move some of my OpAmps around.

Currently, Im have AD843KNR in the output, OPA627 in the center and LT1028ACN in the input stage. I think thats what each stage is called anyway? I think Id like to move the OPA627's to the output. Not sure what to move where other then that.

I got the idea to use these OpAmps on one of the pages in this very long, informative thread. I just have to find that page and figure out which slot is in, out and the other? :D Frank, if you're still following, maybe you could direct me as to what each of the slots are alot faster then if I search thru this entire thread, yet again! :tears:

Also thinking about trying different tubes. I now have the Baldwin Greens 12AX7's in there now. Whay are some of my other options for tubes?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, wonder why this thread has not been made into a sticky yet?? Mods, can ya look into that for us. Thanks :banana:

bigdirty
04-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Currently, Im have AD843KNR in the output, OPA627 in the center and LT1028ACN in the input stage. I think thats what each stage is called anyway? I think Id like to move the OPA627's to the output. Not sure what to move where other then that.

Hey ed,

I was the one to post that combo. I havnt tried using the AD843 in any position other than the outputs. The thread over on audiocircle has a warning about using them in all 6 slots and getting bad noise.

switching the lt1028 and op627 has no adverse effects in my unit. I prefer the LT1028 at the slot closest to the inputs, they seem a bit quieter. ymmv

big

big

Poultrygeist
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I analized over all the possible op amp combinations and finally decided on six opa627.

According to reviews the opa627 is the best sounding op amp and Underwood uses all six in their highest upgrade. The 627 is more expensive but five years from now I won't be wondering if I could have done better.

eyedoc
04-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Did you end up buying jolida.net or .com?

.net

stoutblock
04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I analized over all the possible op amp combinations and finally decided on six opa627.

According to reviews the opa627 is the best sounding op amp and Underwood uses all six in their highest upgrade. The 627 is more expensive but five years from now I won't be wondering if I could have done better.

This was my logic also. I have used the 627 in other applications and never asked for anything better. So I just used 6.

Came home tonight and the Obbligatos were in the mail box. 3 hours later I am on my third album and I am certainly starting to enjoy vinyl to a level that is new to me. Very nice!

Female vocals, electric Jazz guitar, and piano tone are exceptionally enjoyable. Not being an audio critic, and not knowing the correct phrase to say, I just have to say what comes to my mind and that is smoother and fuller.

Now when the wife comes home I gotta figure how to explain this grin on my face :)

Edriz
04-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Hey ed,

I was the one to post that combo. I havnt tried using the AD843 in any position other than the outputs. The thread over on audiocircle has a warning about using them in all 6 slots and getting bad noise.

switching the lt1028 and op627 has no adverse effects in my unit. I prefer the LT1028 at the slot closest to the inputs, they seem a bit quieter. ymmv

big

big

I was also conidering going with all 6 OPA627's. I went with your combo because it seems that throughout the thread, the OpAmps you chose were the most popular.

All I need to figure out is what slots do what? Maybe try some different tubes, other then that, Im extremely pleased with the JD9

Poultrygeist
04-07-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking the higher price of the opa627 might have something to do with their popularity.

eyedoc
04-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Well it arrived; two days ahead of schedule! So far so good. I am starting out with the recommended settings that were recommended at the beginning of the thread. I think that I should probably leave it alone for a while as it settles in. I will try to not A/B test against the stock phono input on the pre until it plays for a while. I gotta say, it will be hard to resist playing with changes…

invenio
04-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Well it arrived; two days ahead of schedule! So far so good. I am starting out with the recommended settings that were recommended at the beginning of the thread. I think that I should probably leave it alone for a while as it settles in. I will try to not A/B test against the stock phono input on the pre until it plays for a while. I gotta say, it will be hard to resist playing with changes…
Congrats, I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from the JD9. I would experiment with the DIP setting a little bit as each turntable, cartridge, preamp, amp, speaker combination will result in a unique sound (especially cartridge). I used mine as a stock unit for a month or two but I couldn't resist modding it,.... I'm glad I did. I would start looking at potential mods now. Some very easy ones are to replace the tubes and opamps, all you need is a screwdriver. Then replacing the caps would be the next step as that requires a little soldering. Here is a Step by Step guide (http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855) that I made. Once again, congrats, and have fun!

eyedoc
04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
I have to admit, I had the top off before I even brought it home… (delivered to my office). I... can…resist….

helios660
04-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Here is a Step by Step guide (http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855) that I made.

I think I said it already, but in case I didnt. This guide is awesome! Thank you!

invenio
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I think I said it already, but in case I didnt. This guide is awesome! Thank you!
Glad to help! Just want to share the "JD9 love".

Edriz
04-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Not really an upgrade question but Im having issues with my JD9. I decided to use my Denon 103R for a while, give the Dynavector 23RS a break for a bit. Got the 103R all set up and making the adjustments on the JD9 dip switches. Using switch ON #4 and #6 and nothing out of the right and serious buzz out of the left.

Changed to #1 and #6 but so little I have to turn the volumn up 1/2 way to hear it. Changed to #2 and #6 and it sounds good. Anybody have any ideas, sugg ?

invenio
04-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Not really an upgrade question but Im having issues with my JD9. I decided to use my Denon 103R for a while, give the Dynavector 23RS a break for a bit. Got the 103R all set up and making the adjustments on the JD9 dip switches. Using switch ON #4 and #6 and nothing out of the right and serious buzz out of the left.

Changed to #1 and #6 but so little I have to turn the volumn up 1/2 way to hear it. Changed to #2 and #6 and it sounds good. Anybody have any ideas, sugg ?
Is this a modded JD9 or stock? If stock you may want to contact Jolida and talk with somebody there. Have you tried switching back to the dynavector, does it resolve the issue? If it does, it may be the denon 103R as that is the only changed variable?

Edriz
04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
yeah, I switched back to the 23RS and used the same adjustments that I had been using for the 23RS, it was perfect again. Yeah, I have done some mods, just OpApm upgrades and Obligato capsMaybe Ill put the 23RS back on and try adjusting the dip switches like I did with the 103R and see if it does the same thing

invenio
04-27-2012, 09:17 AM
yeah, I switched back to the 23RS and used the same adjustments that I had been using for the 23RS, it was perfect again. Yeah, I have done some mods, just OpApm upgrades and Obligato caps
If it's just with the denon and then works fine with the dynavector it makes me think it's not the Jolida.

Edriz
04-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I put the 23RS back in and tried various settings and the same settings I used for the 103R. The 23RS sounded good with most and great with others. Put the 103R back and get nothing to very little using 3 up and 4 up, sperately and together. With 1 up and 2 up, the 103R sounds great. How can this be? Im so confused

invenio
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I put the 23RS back in and tried various settings and the same settings I used for the 103R. The 23RS sounded good with most and great with others. Put the 103R back and get nothing to very little using 3 up and 4 up, sperately and together. With 1 up and 2 up, the 103R sounds great. How can this be? Im so confused
Just to make sure, when you say pins 1 and 2, you don't mean the gain pins (first set of 3), as those you are only supposed to have up one pin at a time, and never have multiple pins up at the same time. Just making sure.

Edriz
04-27-2012, 11:25 AM
actually 1-4 are the gain and yes, you can use multiple pins together but in this case just one at a time.

There are many different combinations og gain switched that can be used together. There is a chart on one of the previous pages that shows some of those combos.

With my Dynavector 23RS Karat, I use swtch 2&3 up and 5-8 all down

If I remember, that chart is on page 18 or 19 maybe.

invenio
04-27-2012, 12:00 PM
actually 1-4 are the gain and yes, you can use multiple pins together but in this case just one at a time.

There are many different combinations og gain switched that can be used together. There is a chart on one of the previous pages that shows some of those combos.

With my Dynavector 23RS Karat, I use swtch 2&3 up and 5-8 all down

If I remember, that chart is on page 18 or 19 maybe.
This may be your problem. The gain is the first set of 1-3 pins, not the longer ones, there is no pin 4 gain setting. You should NEVER have more than one gain pin up at a time.

Edriz
04-27-2012, 12:48 PM
yup, yer right. I was thinking, I have switch 6 up. IIRC, shouldn't switches 5-8 be OFF with MC carts? I wonder if thats whats causing the issue with my 103R?

With my Dynavector 23RS, I was using gain switch 2, Hi Out on the RCA's and 2&3 up on switched 1-4? It sounded incredible there.

Just seems that the setting I was using with the 103R before is where the issues started. I now have the 103R set at Gain 1-3, 2 up 1-4, 2 up and 5-8,6 up?

Should switch 6 be off since the 103R is a LOMC?

invenio
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
yup, yer right. I was thinking, I have switch 6 up. IIRC, shouldn't switches 5-8 be OFF with MC carts? I wonder if thats whats causing the issue with my 103R?

With my Dynavector 23RS, I was using gain switch 2, Hi Out on the RCA's and 2&3 up on switched 1-4? It sounded incredible there.

Just seems that the setting I was using with the 103R before is where the issues started. I now have the 103R set at Gain 1-3, 2 up 1-4, 2 up and 5-8,6 up?

Should switch 6 be off since the 103R is a LOMC?
If it's a "moving coil" cartridge 5-8 should all be off.

Edriz
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
If it's a "moving coil" cartridge 5-8 should all be off.

Yup, Just did that. 5-8 are all off now. 1-4, switch 2 is on and MC on for gain. I have the IC's hooked to Low Out. The 103R is sounding pretty okay now. Can't compare with the karat though but it's still nice overall.

With the Dyna 23RS, I was using the High Out on the IC's, the gain switch was 2 on and 2&3 of 1-4. Sound with the 23RS is just stunning.

Havent tried the 103r with the IC's on High Output yet. I would think if I did, I'd have to use switch 2 on the gain. Maybe Ill give that a try after this LP.

The JD9 sure is fun to play with once you get all the switches figured out.

Poultrygeist
04-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks to this great thread, the modded JD9 has gotten me back into vinyl after being away for many years. The problem is I know so little about matching carts, tables and the things you guys are so knowledgeable of.

I currently have a Shure M97xe and a Technics SL-1300 table which sounds excellent with my JD9, Bottlehead gear and DIY speakers. I know the SL-1300 is not highly regarded as it's an automatic but I bought it new in 1978 and would rather not replace it.

I think I'd like to upgrade to a Denon MC cart if it would match well with the SL-1300 and Jolida. I can buy a Denon at near cost from a friend who works in HT. Is there a Denon MC that you might recommend and would it be an significant upgrade over the M97xe? Thanks for your response.

Edriz
04-29-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm now using my Denon 103R cart on my PL-600 and JD9. The 103R is a decent cart for the money. Id like to try a 304 IIRC, one day though.

But, for the money, IMO, you cant go wrong with a 103R

slovell
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I've owned my JD9 for a year and I'm quite pleased with it but would like to improve it if possible. I'm not handy with a soldering iron so I've been following the opamp thread with interest but I'm a little confused as to which are the best to use. Could someone be so kind to give me guidance as to which ones would give me the best results? I'm using a Denon DL-304 LOMC which has a very low output (.18mv) so I should think I would need to keep the noise floor as low as possible.
Best Regards, Sam

jmathers
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Sam:

What's best is going to vary depending on the system you have.

However, I've had good result with the AD843 in the outputs, OPA627 in the middle, and LT1028s in the inputs. The 1028s are the quietest opamps I've used in this position - and I think the input position is where a quiet opamp is most crucial.

The other popular alternative is 627s in all positions. It's a little more expensive that way.

Best of luck.

Jeff

invenio
05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I use OPA637AP opamps and have had good results, but of course it's best to experiment as the other components in your system will determine overall sound.

As for modding the JD9 it's actually pretty easy in terms of soldering as there is plenty of room between contact points. You can check out my DIY guide to modding the JD9 to see what is involved:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855

Poultrygeist
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
According to general reviews the opa627ap ( $19 each ) are the better sounding op amps so I went with six. I will say that the change was not dramatic until I switched to the Obbligato's. Pay someone to solder them in as it takes all of 5 minutes and it makes a world of difference.

Upgrading the op amps without the cap upgrade would not be worth it IMO.

jmathers
05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
According to general reviews the opa627ap ( $19 each ) are the better sounding op amps so I went with six. I will say that the change was not dramatic until I switched to the Obbligato's. Pay someone to solder them in as it takes all of 5 minutes and it makes a world of difference.

Upgrading the op amps without the cap upgrade would not be worth it IMO.

Where'd you find the 627s for $19? $24.99 each at Digikey. $19 is a good deal.

I would beg to differ with you on the opamps - they do make a difference and it is worth it to experiment. I rolled opamps for a long time before doing the caps and each variety and combo made a difference to the sound of the Joli. Granted the caps brought things together but it's not mandatory if you are looking to improve the JD9s sound quality.

Jeff

slovell
05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
What's the difference between the OPA627AP and the OPA637AP? I've also read that the AD797 from Analog Devices is very good and are cheaper than either of the preceding. The LT1028 is the cheapest of all. I really don't care about the price, I just want the best sound I can get. Confusing. I really appreciate everyone's replies.
Regards, Sam

invenio
05-07-2012, 09:25 PM
What's the difference between the OPA627AP and the OPA637AP? I've also read that the AD797 from Analog Devices is very good and are cheaper than either of the preceding. The LT1028 is the cheapest of all. I really don't care about the price, I just want the best sound I can get. Confusing. I really appreciate everyone's replies.
Regards, Sam
I think you'll find that the answer to what "sounds best" is going to be individual. I think everybody agrees that upgrading the opamps from the stock unit improves the sound. As for opa627/37 or other type, it probably comes down to personal preference. Also, there are many who use more than one type of opamp in their system which allows for very many possible combinations. You may want to experiment and buy a few of each and you can swap them out to see how it effects your sound. "The best" will be what you find most pleasing in your system.

Poultrygeist
05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
I checked the Mouser website and it looks like I paid $18.01 each for the Opa627ap.

Besides the 627's good reviews I went with 6 of them as that is what is used in Underwood's highest level modded JD9.

Jeff, I didn't say the opamp upgrade didn't make a difference. To my ears it was a subtle improvement but no where near as dramatic as the cap upgrade.

FWIW my JD9 is the latest version from China not Md. Could it have had higher quality opamps to begin with? I don't know.

ggrey
05-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I use OPA637AP opamps and have had good results, but of course it's best to experiment as the other components in your system will determine overall sound.

As for modding the JD9 it's actually pretty easy in terms of soldering as there is plenty of room between contact points. You can check out my DIY guide to modding the JD9 to see what is involved:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855

Hey Invenio, always wanted to mod my JD9 and you make it look so easy I am going to dive in...Excellent job! One question, it looks like you connected the second Cap to 2 different solder points. Any reason for this or did I misread your instructions?

invenio
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Hey Invenio, always wanted to mod my JD9 and you make it look so easy I am going to dive in...Excellent job! One question, it looks like you connected the second Cap to 2 different solder points. Any reason for this or did I misread your instructions?
Thanks for the compliments on the guide. As to your question, both caps that you solder on are going to be soldered to different pins than the originals were connected. However, they are on the same circuit so it doesn't matter. The reason for this is two fold. First, the new soldering locations are generally more direct connections (ie shorter path), and second it makes connecting the new caps easier as the old ones were vertical and the new ones are placed horizontally. If you look carefully at the pictures in my guide that show the old and new solder points, you'll see that the connections are on the same circuit. Technically you can solder to any point along those circuits, I just took the most direct root to minimize length (and perhaps improve the sound by having shorter circuit paths).

theoman
05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Need to verify what my settings should be for a Dynavector DV-20X2L?
1-3 on the first bank off switches. second bank switch 1 on?

Type : High/Low output MC cartridge with Flux damper and Softened magnetism
Output voltage : 2.8mV / 0.3mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/sec.)
Frequency response : 20 - 20,000Hz (±2dB)
Channel Separation : 25 dB (at 1KHz)
Channel balance : 1.0 dB (at 1KHz)
Compliance : 12 x 10-6 cm/dyne
Impedance : R=150 ohms / 5 ohms
Stylus tip : Micro Ridge Nude diamond
Cantilever : 6mm length hard aluminum pipe
Tracking force : 1.8 - 2.2 grams
Recommended load impedance: >1000 ohms / 30 ohms

bsujeep
05-07-2012, 10:49 PM
theoman I would start with Switch 3 on 1000 ohms (bank of 8) and that is it. If you need more gain I would then turn on switch 1 of second bank (bank of 3) after testing with all three off.

Have fun

Bill

helios660
05-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Has anyone tried Wondercaps in their JD9?

rkay5
05-08-2012, 04:53 AM
I've owned my JD9 for a year and I'm quite pleased with it but would like to improve it if possible. I'm not handy with a soldering iron so I've been following the opamp thread with interest but I'm a little confused as to which are the best to use. Could someone be so kind to give me guidance as to which ones would give me the best results? I'm using a Denon DL-304 LOMC which has a very low output (.18mv) so I should think I would need to keep the noise floor as low as possible.
Best Regards, Sam
Hi,
I'm using a Denon DL304 with JD9 with 6 OPA627AP,pair of jantzen audio Superior Z-cap 800VDC 1.0uf +/_2% output caps and Mesa/Boogie SPAX7 12AX7 tubes,100ohm resistance switch #1 on,High output switch #2 on and it sounds great!!!:music:

slovell
05-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Is there an audible difference between the OPA627AP and the OPA637AP?
Regards, Sam

ggrey
05-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Is there an audible difference between the OPA627AP and the OPA637AP?
Regards, Sam

I am also wondering if there is a difference in the OPA627AP and the OPA627BP...

Sorry to piggyback on your question slovell....Maybe we can get all the answers in one post?? Wishful thinking? Or just confidence in AK... :yes:

Poultrygeist
05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

ggrey
05-08-2012, 07:31 PM

Astounding Poultyrgeist! Just what the Dr ordered. Or PA I should say... Excellent review indeed! :thmbsp:

slovell
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks so much poultrygeist, much appreciated.
Regards, Sam :banana:

invenio
05-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Wow, what a great resource. I use opa637 in mine and although I still wouldn't change, I wish I had read this before as it would have made my research easier.

theoman
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
theoman I would start with Switch 3 on 1000 ohms (bank of 8) and that is it. If you need more gain I would then turn on switch 1 of second bank (bank of 3) after testing with all three off.

Have fun

Bill

going with switch 3 on sounded good. added switch 1 and bank 3 gave it a better kick. thanks

Frank Sol
05-08-2012, 08:57 PM
FWIW

when trying out caps do not be afraid to try higher caps like 1.5 - 2.5uF

also... a pair of NOS Russian PIO is where i stopped testing any other caps

ggrey
05-09-2012, 09:06 PM
FWIW

when trying out caps do not be afraid to try higher caps like 1.5 - 2.5uF

also... a pair of NOS Russian PIO is where i stopped testing any other caps

Interesting you bring up higher caps Frank. Was just about to ask. Is there a difference in tonal qualities in an audio circuit? If I am not mistaken, higher uF in a guitar pot cap means a shorter tonal sweep as the potentiometer is turned down, or up depending on your perspective.

Frank Sol
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Bump for Ben/mackat - Responding to a PM

Updated June 25 , 2012

1) I started off with a used Level I Underwood JD9

a - 8 Riken Ohm ˝ and one watt signal pat" 1% carbon comp. resistors with gold-plated leads

b - 4r International Rectifier Hexfred ultra-fast soft recovery, diodes are installed in the power supply

c - 4 large EAR brand Sorbothane isolation feet

d - 2 sheets of SoundCoat chassis damping material cut & applied where applicable

e - WBT high silver content (4%) solder used throughout

2) Tubes = Sovtek 12AX7LPS Cryo Treated 'Black Sable'

3) Those big Russian PIOs by themselves wired/soldered directly

4) Sonicap film bypass caps on all larger electrolytics

5) opa637 in all slots

6) added another , 3rd , sheet SoundCoat chassis damping material

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=304075&d=1318547510

Poultrygeist
06-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Frank - good to see it all spelled out with a list of all the upgrades.

mackat
06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
What settings do you recommend for my V15 V MR and Bottlehead Crack?

slovell
06-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I was looking at the Underwood HiFi mods 9 (level 3) for the JD9 and read something that's piqued my curiosity. They replace the stock dual opamps in the output driver section with two adapter PCB modules using four single OPA627 opamps instead of two. Is this necessary or just something they do? What effect soundwise would this have? I've replaced all six of the factory opamps with Burr-Brown OPA627APs with satisfactory results.
Regards, Sam

bsujeep
06-26-2012, 09:49 PM
What settings do you recommend for my V15 V MR and Bottlehead Crack?

Switch 4 - 47K
Switch 8 - 220pF
all three gain Switches off and connected to Lo Output, if that is too quiet switch to Hi Output. Will not damage with output.

Bill

mackat
06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks! How about the 310mc? Lo-output MC, but I don't know the loading requirements. Maybe you do?

Ben aka MacKat

bsujeep
06-26-2012, 10:49 PM
OK Ben this is a guess and you will have to do some testing to see what works the best

Switch 1, 2, and 3 on

resistance switches can be combined to lower resistance, this will only get you to 70ohms and it looks like the 310 wants something like 30ohms.

Gain Switches CANNOT be combined, start with gain 1 on and high output if that is too quiet try 2 then 3. Your best bet might be the MC preamp in the SL10 and then through the Jolida. IF you do that then use only switch 4 nothing else.

Bill

mackat
06-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Ok, thank you! I'm just curious, where did you get the 30 ohms figure that it wants? Also, assuming that's correct, will it sound bad at 70ohms? The internal preamp doesn't sound great, so I hope to be able to use the Jolida.
Thanks again!

Ben aka MacKat

Frank Sol
07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Quirkiness of the JD9 or... ??

Specs for my Dynavector DV-20x2L Cart

Output voltage : 0.3mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/sec.)
Frequency response : 20 - 20,000Hz (±2dB)
Channel Separation : 25 dB (at 1KHz)
Channel balance : 1.0 dB (at 1KHz)
Compliance : 12 x 10-6 cm/dyne
Impedance : R= 5 ohms (Internal)
Stylus tip : Micro Ridge Nude diamond
Cantilever : 6mm length hard aluminum pipe
Tracking force : 1.8 - 2.2 grams
Recommended load impedance: 30 ohms

I've been running 70 or 100 ohm on JD9. (switches 1-4) A friend came over and we spun a few platters. He is an avid poster & reader at vinylengine not so much here. He said have you tried the 47K ohm setting? :yikes:

I said that's for MM carts or HOMC :yes:

He said try it. There's a poster or two at VE with same cart & JD9 and they say it works great. So I made the adjustments and...

I would say 47K ohm is not bad , even better perhaps than the lower settings :scratch2:

IMO this is a JD9 quirk and wouldnt apply in most situations. True?

What say ye

theoman
07-11-2012, 08:19 PM
has anyone tried Electro Harmonix 12AX7 tubes in the JD9?

PickyEars81
07-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the stock Shenda tubes are rebranded electro harmonix tubes.

Poultrygeist
07-11-2012, 10:37 PM
My stock tubes were Joilda brand and probably made by Shuguang.

tnmike1
07-14-2012, 07:41 AM
I eagerly await receiving my JoLida from Needle Doctor after reading all the superlatives on this thread. I only hope detailed instructions are included on the setting of the dipswitches are included because the diagram shown by the OP and the picture of the switches in the 6Moons review leave me in a state of confusion. O well, we'll see what happens

Poultrygeist
07-14-2012, 08:11 AM
It's confusing but hopefully someone here with your same cart can post their settings.

mackat
07-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I eagerly await receiving my JoLida from Needle Doctor after reading all the superlatives on this thread. I only hope detailed instructions are included on the setting of the dipswitches are included because the diagram shown by the OP and the picture of the switches in the 6Moons review leave me in a state of confusion. O well, we'll see what happens

I might be able to help. Cart? :yes:

Ben aka MacKat

slovell
07-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I've got a pair of EH 12AX7 Gold Pins in mine at present and like them so far. I don't have that many hours on them yet but I think they're going to break in quite nicely.
Regards, Sam

Frank Sol
07-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Take comfort in knowing that you will NOT blow-up the the JD9 or TT by experimenting and learning the dip switches

Plenty of AKers are here to help :thmbsp:

Frank Sol
07-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I've been running 70 or 100 ohm on JD9. (switches 1-4) A friend came over and we spun a few platters. He is an avid poster & reader at vinylengine not so much here. He said have you tried the 47K ohm setting?

I would say 47K ohm is not bad , even better perhaps than the lower settings

-UpDate-

For my system and my ears I do believe the 1k setting is the sweet spot - Not 100 or 47K.

Live and learn :yes:

tnmike1
07-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Take comfort in knowing that you will NOT blow-up the the JD9 or TT by experimenting and learning the dip switches

Plenty of AKers are here to help :thmbsp:

Many thanks for the encouraging words. Good to know I won't damage JD9 or anything else in the sound chain

Edriz
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
My JD-9 came with Tung-Sols. I swapped in a pair of Baldwin Greens. Haven't tried any other tubes yet.

evan
07-15-2012, 11:16 AM
My JD-9 came with Tung-Sols. I swapped in a pair of Baldwin Greens. Haven't tried any other tubes yet.

What do they sound like compared to the Tung-Sols

Edriz
07-15-2012, 01:19 PM
What do they sound like compared to the Tung-Sols

I cant really remember exactly as I only used the Tung Sol until I got the Baldwins back when i first bought my JD9. I even ordered the baldwins the day my JD9 arrived. It's been quite a while now. IIRC the baldwins seemed to open up the soundstage more, with cleaner high freqs. Maybe one day this week Ill re-install the Tungsols and let them burn in more. I only had the tung sols in for a few days at most so they probably didnt even get burned in properly.

demarco
07-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Does anyone have an updated list of places to buy the JD9? I just tried to contact jolida.net and had a return to sender...I know of:

Needle Doctor
Amazon

Anymore sites would be appreciated!

tnmike1
07-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Music Direct I'm baffled, though, as to why you want to see additional sites since I believe everyone's selling the unit at the same price, except for Needle Doctor where I got mine slightly reduced as an "open box" or "returned" item.

demarco
07-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Can't a guy be curious?

It's also seeing that a year ago(or so) people were buying them direct from china for 345 and now most US sites are 450+ shipping to Canada.

Poultrygeist
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I think I paid around $350 from China about 6 months ago. Are they no longer in business? If they are you can make them an offer. They usually have some wiggle room.

demarco
07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Seems the email address on their site is bouncing back negative. Does anyone have a contact for jolida.net besides the one on their front page? Or can anyone confirm they are out of business?

jmathers
07-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Might want to CALL Galen Carol Audio and see what their price is. Those folks have always been good to me:

http://www.gcaudio.com

Jeff

EDIT: Did some digging around. It appears that jolida.net is changing to jolidaaudio.net (http://jolidaaudio.net/) and that House of High Fidelity in Naples, FL will be the sole US distributor of Shenda/Jolida products (http://houseofhighfidelity.com/). I have no experience with House of HiFidelity nor with Shenda/Jolida.

Poultrygeist
07-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I did pay a customs charge on the JD9 from China which was the first time that ever happened ( new laws enforced 1-1-12 ). Perhaps that may have changed the way they now do business.

demarco
07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Thank you Jmathers!

tnmike1
07-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Can't a guy be curious?

It's also seeing that a year ago(or so) people were buying them direct from china for 345 and now most US sites are 450+ shipping to Canada.

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound rude

Poultrygeist
07-17-2012, 06:12 PM
The US sites were always more expensive than buying direct from Jolida.net in China.

kt120 mike
07-18-2012, 10:51 AM
WOW this form is great!!! i have read through the whole thing yesterday and now i have my Jd9 sounding great by just messing around with the dip switches on the back, i am running with no gain switches on, and # 4 & #8 swiches on. listening to a ortofon 2m bronze. the jolida does have a hell lot of gain, going to try using the low output but want to adjust the trim pots inside. my question is, how do you measure each channel to make sure they are both equal, should i just measure resistance on each trim pot so that they are the same? Also i am thinking on swapping out those op amps with those OPA627AP all 6, and thinking on changing those caps just undecided what to get, but i was thinking of Audience Auricap 1µF / 600V? oh by the way i am new to the forms guys. :D

bsujeep
07-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Welcome to AK Mike and congrats on your jd9. Another option for decreasing the gain would be to try 12au7 tubes, I don't really have any suggestions about the trim pots because mine measure different. You should check yours to see if they measure the same, if they do then try adjusting them using a DMM.

Bill

kt120 mike
07-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks bsujeep, good idea on the 12au7s i would probably try some nos RCA cleartops and hear how the sound. yeah if the trim pots measure different i'll just jot the numbers down and adjust each by a couple of ohms down on both sides

Poultrygeist
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
It may get a little better with tube rolling but nothing like the cap upgrade.

Frank Sol
07-18-2012, 05:50 PM
...going to try using the low output but want to adjust the trim pots inside.

I would NOT do that to begin with...

Just move your cables over to the LOW OUTPUT RCAs and leave the gain dip switches OFF - Then listen

If too soft/low then flip both #1 gain switches "ON"

Get back to us :yes:

bsujeep
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM

Just move your cables over to the LOW OUTPUT RCAs and leave the gain dip switches OFF - Then listen

Your right Frank, definitely the best choice!

tnmike1
07-19-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm having a huge problem getting my JoLida to work. Followed instructions on connecting to my Marantz 2230 and got nothing but hum with no sound out of right channel and intermittent sound from left channel. Now I see on the back of the receiver there's an area that says "Main In" and "Preamp out" with bridged RCA connections connecting the main left/right and preamp left/right. Am now wondering if I should be connecting to these ins and outs

Have the dip switches on "on" position for the Ortofon 2M red. I'm going to call Brian at Needle Doctor later toady but just wondered if anyone has suggestions I the meantime

Frank Sol
07-19-2012, 10:22 AM
tnmike1

Are you plugging the JD9's OUTPUT cables into the Marantz's AUX inputs ?

That is how you should do it...

Do NOT plug the JD9 into the Marantz's PHONO inputs

kt120 mike
07-19-2012, 12:13 PM

That does make more sense:thmbsp:, for some reason i did not think of that when i was messing around with different settings :stupid:. when i switched to the low side i only had mm gain on and it was too soft then i switched back to the high output and turned off gain. i'm going to switch my cables back to low output and try high mc and see where that brings me.

kt120 mike
07-19-2012, 03:24 PM
So far going back between the two there is a huge difference, trying the low output with the mc high dip switch was counterproductive brought me up to about the same level as high output with no gain dip switches on, also music sounded more congested and stressed, compared to the high output, so i went back to the high and then back to the low with no gain, then back to the low with mm gain then to high no gain. results: i don't know if it is those added trim pots to the circuit or just my NAD 355BEE that i don't like, when listening to the low output. With the high output things just sound better that's were it stays for now, just got to deal with a very sensitive volume nob. :music:

tnmike1
07-19-2012, 04:46 PM
tnmike1

Are you plugging the JD9's OUTPUT cables into the Marantz's AUX inputs ?

That is how you should do it...

Do NOT plug the JD9 into the Marantz's PHONO inputs

YUP that did it. I could've sworn the JoLida's directions had me plugging it into the phono input. O well, thanks for the advice. Now up and running and sounds fantastic

Frank Sol
07-19-2012, 07:41 PM
That does make more sense:thmbsp:, for some reason i did not think of that when i was messing around with different settings :stupid:. when i switched to the low side i only had mm gain on and it was too soft then i switched back to the high output and turned off gain. i'm going to switch my cables back to low output and try high mc and see where that brings me.

I do not think we are communicating properly

The gain setting dip switches are the 3 pairs (6 total) on the right, looking from behind, separated from the other 8 pairs (16 total) see pic

Leave your cables in the LOW OUTPUT and adjust ONLY the gain switches to desired loudness - IMO lower the better then use your pre-amp vol

If on-off-off is too low then go to off-on-off

kt120 mike
07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
I do not think we are communicating properly

The gain setting dip switches are the 3 pairs (6 total) on the right, looking from behind, separated from the other 8 pairs (16 total) see pic

Leave your cables in the LOW OUTPUT and adjust ONLY the gain switches to desired loudness - IMO lower the better then use your pre-amp vol

If on-off-off is too low then go to off-on-off

Yeah that's what i did, thanks for clarifying though. i do agree with you that lower the better. but for the amp that i'm using now, when using less gain on the JD9 and leaving more control for my Int NAD 355, it just doesn't sound as alive compared to the other way i was using. probably not the right way, but having the right sound is the right way to me:music:. i did buy a new rogue cronus magnum and waiting for it, i've stumbled upon this thread and to pass time thought i'll tinker with the JD9. once i've started on page 1 i've ended up here at page 30. will try the low side once i get my new amp running:D

tnmike1
07-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Now that I've got this fantastic preamp, where do i find 1 1/2 ft RCA cables?? Went to my local Wal-Mart and Radio Shack and all they have are three foot or six foot lengths, which is OK I guess but all that extra cord just takes up space in back of my units.

Also--is cabling just cabling or do I need to go for that high-end cabling now that I have an above average preamp???

meggy
07-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Now that I've got this fantastic preamp, where do i find 1 1/2 ft RCA cables?? Went to my local Wal-Mart and Radio Shack and all they have are three foot or six foot lengths, which is OK I guess but all that extra cord just takes up space in back of my units.

Also--is cabling just cabling or do I need to go for that high-end cabling now that I have an above average preamp???

Guitar Center is a great place for decent RCA's in all shapes, sizes and configs.

kt120 mike
07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
tnmike1, cable can make a difference, guitar center isn't bad place to start but they can be expensive and most of their cable is monstercable which you can get cheaper on line elsewhere. If you are and on a budget try radio shacks stuff, some of their cable was reviewed by stereophile. if you are into the high end stuff look at audioquest or kimber kable. i think needle doc. carries them and might be able to help you out on a good choice, they also got a small section of budget cable too.

slovell
07-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Blue Jeans Cable, good stuff and inexpensive.
regards, Sam

ggrey
07-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Step by Step guide

(http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855)http://images2.static-bluray.com/htgallery/108241.jpg

Followed your guide to a "T" invenio to excellent results. Except for the op amps you used, I settled on: AD843s in the outputs, OPA627s in the middle, and LT1028s in the inputs. Drop dead quiet (unless your ear is 3" away from and directly in line with the tweeter.) And the Obligattos really upped the performance...stronger, richer, deeper. Now using no SUT and the JD9's low outputs with my LOMC cart.

Everyone who owns a JD9 needs to do these mods! So pleasing and so simple.

It is hard to believe the improved performance for under a hundred bucks. AND from upgrades that were so easy to do...thanks to you and all you fellow Ak'ers. Cheers to you all!!!! :thmbsp:

deniall
07-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Can anyone tell me if the JD9 comes with a universal power supply? Local prices are ridiculous and I really want to get one of these but will most likely order it from the US. Just want to make sure it will work on 240v.

rkay5
07-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Can anyone tell me if the JD9 comes with a universal power supply? Local prices are ridiculous and I really want to get one of these but will most likely order it from the US. Just want to make sure it will work on 240v.
Deniall,
Order one from China and save Email: info@jolida.net
that is how I order mine very good company fast shipping and good price.Send a email.

Catcher10
07-29-2012, 02:15 AM
I will be ordereing a new Music Hall mmf-7.1 on Monday with the Mojo Ortofon cartridge....Is the JD9 a good match? I like what I read on the Jolida, I like tube audio (have the GF TubeDAC11)....Seems like with all the user adjustments how can you go wrong??

invenio
07-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Followed your guide to a "T" invenio to excellent results. Except for the op amps you used, I settled on: AD843s in the outputs, OPA627s in the middle, and LT1028s in the inputs. Drop dead quiet (unless your ear is 3" away from and directly in line with the tweeter.) And the Obligattos really upped the performance...stronger, richer, deeper. Now using no SUT and the JD9's low outputs with my LOMC cart.

Everyone who owns a JD9 needs to do these mods! So pleasing and so simple.

It is hard to believe the improved performance for under a hundred bucks. AND from upgrades that were so easy to do...thanks to you and all you fellow Ak'ers. Cheers to you all!!!! :thmbsp:

Glad I can help. I was also amazed of how much of an improvement can be made by these simple and inexpensive mods. I wrote that guide as I found it difficult to get all the different individual mod directions together (especially that some were lacking pictures). Once again, congrats on the mod and enjoy! By the way, here is a great article on opamps in audio equipment. The author went through and compared a whole bunch of different ones:

demarco
07-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Grabbed a demo version of the JD9 from Music Direct. 399, hopefully it's not all messed up! Thanks for the help everyone!

Brett a
07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
i just got an Aoyue 937 soldering station with digital temp setting. what would ya'll recommending for a temp setting when working on the Jolida's pcbs?

invenio
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
i just got an Aoyue 937 soldering station with digital temp setting. what would ya'll recommending for a temp setting when working on the Jolida's pcbs?
I would experiment to see at what setting the solder starts melting (using other circuit boards). For removing components you probably want the lowest temp that still is able to quickly liquefy the solder point. That way you minimize potential heat damage to surrounding components.

tnmike1
08-06-2012, 04:15 PM
A question on switch settings: I've looked at posts #1 and #2 where there are various switch settings depending on the cartridge being used. Post #1 shows the various impedance and capacitance settings. OK--if my Ortofon 2M Red has a 47 kOhm resistance and 150-300 pf capacitance, does this mean I'm going to use switch #4 (47,000) and switch #7 or #8?? The Jolida instructions say nothing about this so was just wondering if it's experimentation or if those would be the settings you all woudl suggest.

kt120 mike
08-07-2012, 11:21 AM
A question on switch settings: I've looked at posts #1 and #2 where there are various switch settings depending on the cartridge being used. Post #1 shows the various impedance and capacitance settings. OK--if my Ortofon 2M Red has a 47 kOhm resistance and 150-300 pf capacitance, does this mean I'm going to use switch #4 (47,000) and switch #7 or #8?? The Jolida instructions say nothing about this so was just wondering if it's experimentation or if those would be the settings you all woudl suggest.
Yes, I have a ortofon 2m bronze, definitely use switch 4, and try either #7 or 8 i am still going back and forth between the two, favoring 8 though.

Frank Sol
08-07-2012, 11:25 AM
@ tnmike1

yeap... you are on the right trail

Catcher10
08-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Does anyone use theirs as a TT base, as Jolida site suggests can be done? I have space constraints and this ability for me is a plus.

Are there any severe drawbacks to this?

Thanks

tnmike1
08-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Does anyone use theirs as a TT base, as Jolida site suggests can be done? I have space constraints and this ability for me is a plus.

Are there any severe drawbacks to this?

Thanks

I was wondering about this too Would seem to me the Jolida would overheat if it were used as a base for anything.

•Low profile full body allows the unit to act as a base for your amplifier or turntable"--this off Needle Doctor website in the Jolida site

And thanks, guys, for the help in the switching. Will start fiddling with alternatives

invenio
08-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I was wondering about this too Would seem to me the Jolida would overheat if it were used as a base for anything.

•Low profile full body allows the unit to act as a base for your amplifier or turntable"--this off Needle Doctor website in the Jolida site

And thanks, guys, for the help in the switching. Will start fiddling with alternatives
I think it would be "ok" for a turntable base but it's not the most solid base as the top cover is a think sheet of metal. I can definitely see some potential vibration with the turntable motor however. As for a base for an amplifier I think it depends on the amplifier. My amplifier weights 115 lbs so I would never do that, plus heat could be an issue.

Edriz
08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I dont think there is any problem with heat. My JD9 is normally on from 7am until 4PM and later. I just now put my hand on top of the JD9 and its cool to the touch. Of course, i dont have anything sitting on top of it but at least we know it stays relatively cool to the touch.

As for a TT base, I think what invenio just mentioned is right on. Top of the JD9 is really thin sheet metal and vibration will be an issue

Frank Sol
08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
If it is avoidable I would NOT put my TT on top of the JD9

mackat
08-07-2012, 05:59 PM
If it is avoidable I would NOT put my TT on top of the JD9

Me neither! :nono:

Ben aka MacKat

invenio
08-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Me neither! :nono:

Ben aka MacKat
agree

brad6285
08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
does any ak members do upgrades on the jolida, of course for a fee, for those ak members that are electrically challenged. im going to buy a jolida but would like it upgraded some. thanx brad

invenio
08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
does any ak members do upgrades on the jolida, of course for a fee, for those ak members that are electrically challenged. im going to buy a jolida but would like it upgraded some. thanx brad

You may be interested in this series of mods that I did (http://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13). I did an upgrade of the tubes, opamps, caps, and added dampening material. We may be able to work something out as I find it fun to do these things. PM me if interested.

]eep
08-21-2012, 11:12 PM
hi everybody. I registered just to be able to read and contribute to this thread.

Origin
I bought my JD9 2nd hand 5y ago from a friend who bought it (on my advice) in China. So mine's an original original.
'Fun'fact: jolida.fr shamelessly nicked my photograph of the inside for their website: :tresbon::nono:
http://www.jolida.fr/images/jolidajd9insidetd6.jpg
I did some small mods then like removing the tubecovers and those plugs on the internal wiring, remove fake feet to save height in my rack. And changing the tubes. Since then I learned a lot about Chinese audio and upgrading electronics.

Recent events
So when I bought a new turntable recently and later too a nice cartridge (this is somewhat of an understatement but more on that later) I thought I'd have a look in some more upgrades I could do myself. That means getting into the things I do understand and are sensible upgrades. And trying to find what other people have done since then other than buying it from Underwood. (turns out to be quite a lot). So, thats why I'm here.

Caps
To my amazement I forgot to do the most simple and rewarding upgrade: caps. I've done tens of this for myself and other ppl. :rolleyes: I have used several PiO's; Sprague (excellent), Russian K42Y (pretty ok), MKP's; Clarity Cap SA (don't like 'em; all bass and recessed mids/highs) and APW (pretty ok but nothing special), WIMA MKP10, Obbligato gold (really good new production cap). MKT: Siemens/ERO 1822 if nothing else fits these are pretty ok. Russian Teflon; haven't used them yet but they are BIG 0.22µF's.

So... pictures.
http://www.freebits.nl/images/676Jolida_JD9_detail_tube.jpg
Use what you have I say... So I make sure I have nice stuff to work with. Sprague 121p 2µF metallised paper in oil and Philips Miniwatt ECC83.

http://www.freebits.nl/images/582Jolida_JD9_inside_open.jpg
Work in progress... using some nice millspec shielded silver teflon wire. I'm not doing anything to the powersupply side of things. First because I found it to be overrated in my MHZS CD33 cd player that I modded extensively. And second is because I'm not that knowledgeable it this area.

http://www.freebits.nl/images/459Jolida_JD9_dipsw.jpg
As you can see I'm carefully avoiding using the dipswitches and underlying parts. Since I am using an (outragiously expensive) step-up trafo I don't need any of it. I've had that for over 20y and I'm so glad I've never sold it.
My advice; upgrade from MM to MC and use an MC step-up tranny.

http://www.freebits.nl/images/920Jolida_JD9_input_mod.jpg
So since I'm not using the input panel anyway I thought it best to take it out altogether, save it for later use and go straight to the input of the PCB with some millspec Cu/Ag/Tf wire. No more oxidation, bad parts or transitions.

http://www.freebits.nl/images/765Jolida_JD9_inside_open.jpg
Tossed in some RFI-filters on the power wires too. Result so far. I ordered some OPA627/OPA637/LT1028/AD843 opamps too but they haven't arrived yet.
My costs:
unit €250
tubes €20
caps $8
wire $2
RFI f $2
opamps $35 ($70 for 12pcs)
You may call me the chief of cheap :)
(Acquisition was my profession once so I know my way around)

Result so far
(without the opamps): wide soundstage, very deep, very quiet, tonally balanced (not much difference in freq. char. compared to CD), no glare, no sibilance, pinpoint accuracy, good bass. Just very, very good. Sounds to good to be true, I wonder what I'm going to come up with after changing the opamps... :D

IMO useless mods
- Changing feet.
- Damping the tubes: I can hit them with the volume crancked up so far even the noise is getting loud; not a whisper of a thump. On the other hand if you touch the input cable it sounds like hitting a drum. So focus on that.
- Any damping of the case only has effect because vibrations are transmitted to the input wires. :pistols:
- Don't leave the lid of the input box off. The internal wall between the power and opamps shields a significant amount of hum.
- Don't use the 'low' output unless it is absolutely necessary. Better use MM or better all three dipsw on 0. You only make the opamps work harder at the cost of openness and more 'veil' and any resistor or pot in the way of the signal does the same however minute. So that's a double 'bad'. One that can simply be avoided.

My equipment
Clearaudio Performance with Koetsu Urushi Wajima (Sugano Sr. 0.6mV)
Audio Innovations MC1000 step-up
Jolida JD9
MHZS CD33 tubed cd-player modded with cs4398 DAC
Windows PC+Foobar> Musiland monitor>1543x4 non-oversampling DAC (my own mods)
Classic 16.2 300B tubeamp (+Yarland FV34A + Audio Note Oto SE + Relyon KT88SE + several T-amps)
Refence3A Master Control speakers (92.5dB/W no filter)

kt120 mike
08-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Welcome to AK Jeep. Nice work!:thmbsp: I have been wanting to upgrade my jolida and appreciate your opinion on the caps and other mods. I totally agree with you with the 'Low' output, i've tried it and the 'low' sounds stressed compared to the high output. i always did believe it was those added pots, thanks for the clarification.:yes: I might try those WIMA MKP10, very affordable, interested in the Obbligato gold but i don't know a good place to get em'? Let us know your final opamp setup, happy listening:music:

demarco
08-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for that post Jeep! I didn't realize that about using the low outputs! I just picked up a unit recently and have just had my first crack at toying with the switches.

If anyone is interested, I posted some photos in the JD9 Maryland vs. Shenda thread. I have a newer model that seems to have a few different stock items. Let me know what you think!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5992185#post5992185

]eep
08-24-2012, 07:25 PM
I exchanged the Philips Miniwatt ECC83 for ECC82 but I don't notice a lot of difference. Still a lot of output. And good sound.
I have several ECC82 and 83 lying around since I own an Audio Note Oto as well which uses both. Just like any good squirrel a have a stash. Just like the occasional amnesia about it's whereabouts. :scratch2:

]eep
09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Well, I'll have to see how it behaves with a very high output Decca London Cart soon. I just won an auction on Ebay at a good price.

]eep
09-06-2012, 09:40 PM
So, today arrived a small envelope...

I just switched the opamps. Now Im playing (from left to right, stage front) the AD843, OPA637, LT1028. I'm not really convinced about the sound or the changes. Seems to me the AD843 made it a bit agressive and highlighting the high mids (to much). The opa637 in the middle helped. And the 1028 (first one I inserted) wasn't to great either. Maybe they need some burn-in or it's because I'm tired and I have a headache.

edit:
I switched to opa627, 637, 627. I like this better. I think the AD843 was the 'culprit' to the hard sound. Volume on 10 reveals some nasty high pitched garbled noise. Later I switched the input again to the LT1028. The noise was less and like white noise.

Noise is no problem at all. I can hardly hear any selfnoise with my ear in front of the speaker at the loudest listening level (volume knob at 3, MC-tranny, MM, MCh, MCL all at 0).

Stahldar
09-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I've had the JD9 for about a year now and really love the sound. I've rolled tubes and am currently using the Tung Sol's to my satisfaction. Friday of last week I order the Burr Brown opamps (6) in hopes that I could bring my Jolida to the next level. Much to my suprise they arrived from Parts Connexion yesterday. Well, to make a long story short I removed the current opamps with needle noose pliers and in their place gently snugged the new Burr Browns. Plugged it in and NOTHING !. Removed them, put the old ones back and you guessed it NOTHING ! I noticed each opamp has a small circle/indentation, should these be situated a certain way? Help, I'm not sure where to turn at this point.

invenio
09-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I've had the JD9 for about a year now and really love the sound. I've rolled tubes and am currently using the Tung Sol's to my satisfaction. Friday of last week I order the Burr Brown opamps (6) in hopes that I could bring my Jolida to the next level. Much to my suprise they arrived from Parts Connexion yesterday. Well, to make a long story short I removed the current opamps with needle noose pliers and in their place gently snugged the new Burr Browns. Plugged it in and NOTHING !. Removed them, put the old ones back and you guessed it NOTHING ! I noticed each opamp has a small circle/indentation, should these be situated a certain way? Help, I'm not sure where to turn at this point.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Yes the opamps are oriented in a specific way. I don't recall from memory their orientation but if you look at my upgrade guide (http://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/viewforum.php?f=15) you should be able to tell the orientation. Hope that helps.

Frank Sol
09-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I noticed each opamp has a small circle/indentation, should these be situated a certain way?

Yes , all 6 go in the same way

But i dont remember which way without looking

Frank Sol
09-11-2012, 03:04 PM
eep;6031194']

I switched to opa627, 637, 627. I like this better.

I use Six 637

Even with my sensitive Klipsch horns i do not hear white noise (ear at speaker grills) unless the vol is at around 3 o'clock. I rarely listen above 11 o'clock so no problem

Poultrygeist
09-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I use the dimple on the op amps to orient them.

Stahldar
09-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Yes , all 6 go in the same way

But i dont remember which way without looking

Thanks a million your suggestion resolved the issue. Definite improvent. Anyone have the dip switch settings for a Denon DL 103?

MikeT.
09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Does anyone use their Jolida with a Denon DL 110? If so, impendance setting are you using? The DL 110 has an output impedance of 160 ohms, the Jolida has 100, 300, 1000, etc. I set it on 300 as a first step but it sounded a bit "overloaded" might be a term to use. I have it set at 47k now and it's clean but the highs and mids seem a little rolled of from an earlier built in per I was using. Any advice or comment is appreciated.

tnmike1
09-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Does anyone use their Jolida with a Denon DL 110? If so, impendance setting are you using? The DL 110 has an output impedance of 160 ohms, the Jolida has 100, 300, 1000, etc. I set it on 300 as a first step but it sounded a bit "overloaded" might be a term to use. I have it set at 47k now and it's clean but the highs and mids seem a little rolled of from an earlier built in per I was using. Any advice or comment is appreciated.

Interested in this queston too since I'm considering a move from the Ortofon 2M Red to a MC like the Denon series. Unclear how to categorize this cartridge: is it MM or MC?? Or either???

jmathers
09-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Interested in this queston too since I'm considering a move from the Ortofon 2M Red to a MC like the Denon series. Unclear how to categorize this cartridge: is it MM or MC?? Or either???

The Denon 110 is a high output moving coil. The best loading I found in my system was 47K.

Jeff

]eep
09-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Most high output MC's are made so they work on a normal MM phono-input. So that means 47kOhm + capacitance. On the Jolida you have more choices to play with.

My strong recommendation is to put all dipswitches on 0, maybe except the 47kOhm. That means the least amplification, but the best quality. What would be even better is chuck the whole input switch panel and get some good carbon-composite resistors (Takman or Allen Bradley) and solder in a single resistor (if you even need it!).

About the opamps: I do remember thaat the indent should go towards the front. And take good care you insert all the spiderlegs in the socket. If they are standing wide somewhat (like mine did) it's very easy to insert them alongside the socket. Especially in lamplight I find it hard to spot if they are securely inserted.

tnmike1
09-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Have an Ortofon Samba on the way and should arrive tomorrow. Anyone want to recommend settings for the Jolida switches?? I'm thinking 47kOhm. Now what about capacitance?? Just put dipswitches to O and forget about it???

]eep
09-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Well,... the fun thing is... you can play with it all you like. So go on... play! :zoom:

What matters is; does it sound good to you? If you think you need the capacitance or resistance you can change those parts later for some better parts. I highly prefer none but I use an MC-tranny in between.

tnmike1
09-25-2012, 09:17 AM
eep;6084737']Well,... the fun thing is... you can play with it all you like. So go on... play! :zoom:

What matters is; does it sound good to you? If you think you need the capacitance or resistance you can change those parts later for some better parts. I highly prefer none but I use an MC-tranny in between.

OK thanks for the informaation. Just was afraid I'd fry, burn out or otherwise destroy something either in the cartridge or in the preamp

brad6285
09-29-2012, 08:56 PM
My jolida is on order and im having a level 1 mod done. Im going to be using it with my yammie gt-2000l with a denon 103r cart. Will i need a step up transformer because the 103r cart use 25mv. Im a newbie and just trying to get it right. I hope the jolida is all i need. Thanx brad

invenio
09-29-2012, 09:19 PM
My jolida is on order and im having a level 1 mod done. Im going to be using it with my yammie gt-2000l with a denon 103r cart. Will i need a step up transformer because the 103r cart use 25mv. Im a newbie and just trying to get it right. I hope the jolida is all i need. Thanx brad

The lowest gain is 35 +/- on the Jolida with all dip switches OFF, and Low output connector. This is pretty close and you may do ok.

I wrote a rather comprehensive guide to upgrading the Jolida JD9 and if you are handy with a soldering iron it's not too difficult. You can probably buy all the upgrade parts for a fraction of what they charge to do the Level 1 mod in house as the majority of the fee is actually the labor.

You can see the upgrade guide here and then download the guide in PDF in the link provided. (http://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27)

jmathers
09-30-2012, 07:11 AM

No step up transformer needed. The Jolida has plenty of gain for the Denon - I ran one for quite awhile. BTW: the Denon is spec'd at 0.25mV. You'll want to use around 60-70dB of gain and 100ohms loading. Experimentation recommended.

Jeff

invenio
09-30-2012, 09:09 AM
The lowest gain is 35 +/- on the Jolida with all dip switches OFF, and Low output connector. This is pretty close and you may do ok.

I wrote a rather comprehensive guide to upgrading the Jolida JD9 and if you are handy with a soldering iron it's not too difficult. You can probably buy all the upgrade parts for a fraction of what they charge to do the Level 1 mod in house as the majority of the fee is actually the labor.

You can see the upgrade guide here and then download the guide in PDF in the link provided. (http://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27)

I just noticed I misread your question. For some reason I mistook the 25 mV to mean 25 dB of gain needed. My mistake. As jmathers noted above, you will be completely fine as this puts the required gain right in the center of the Jolida JD9's capability and you'll be able to play around and go slightly higher or lower to see what sounds best on your system.

]eep
10-08-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm at the moment listening to a different phono-amp. This time the Yaqin MS-22B. It's getting burned in now. I only rolled the Chinese tubes for Philips Miniwatts ECC83 (Mullard Blackburn). It has no opamps, just tubes. Which one's better? Clearly the Jolida. More space and sweeter sound.

But it's definitely not bad. Not bad at all. Dynamics are good. Level is slightly lower. Tone is good, good extension. And I'm not done with it...I'll try and get some more out of it by changing the coupling caps (yup, here too) and some grounding issues :whip:

andykap
10-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I took the plunge and got the JD 9 factory upgrade at Jolida. After receiving the unit and reading so many forum, I mod the unit. I replace the Caps with Mundorf Silver oil, and 6 opa637, plus 2 sound mats. Wow!!! Before the Mundorf, I had couple Obbligato Gold with Auricap bypass. I think that the Obbligato bass is not as extended as the mundorf, but at their price with the Auricap bypass, it was not bad. On another site suggested that you can use the AD797. Well don't. It is rather noisy. When I switch to the opa637, you can hear a distinct difference in the noise floor and soundstage. I will roll the tube with some JJ tomorrow, we will see how they compare to the tung-sol gold. This is a great unit to own and play with.

slovell
10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Can anyone tell me the differences between the BB OPA-627AP and the BB OPA-627AU. To my untrained eyes the specs from their respective spec sheets appear to be the same other than the AP plugs in and the AU solders in.
Thanks, Sam

invenio
10-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Can anyone tell me the differences between the BB OPA-627AP and the BB OPA-627AU. To my untrained eyes the specs from their respective spec sheets appear to be the same other than the AP plugs in and the AU solders in.
Thanks, Sam

You may want to read http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html, it goes through and discusses the different opamp types.

slovell
10-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I've read that but it makes no mention of the 627AU. Underwood HiFi does a mod where they use two 627APs on a custom adapter to replace one each of the 2604s in the output sockets. They claim that you need two of the 627APs to replace one of the 2604s because the 627 is a single channel and the stock 2604 is a dual channel opamp. I've tried single 627APs in place of the 2604s and, to my ears, it never sounded quite right to me. I'd like to try this but a regular side by side dual to mono DIP adapter won't fit in there and I can't find one for the plug in 627AP that will. However, there is an over and under adapter using two soldered in 627AUs that will fit. Hence my interest in the AUs.
Regards, Sam

]eep
10-23-2012, 08:20 AM
The difference is purely packaging. And thus price (the au are cheaper). Do not use the soldering type. You will only save a little money at the cost of a lot of hassle and possible errors.

Now here is a bit of basic logic: If the opamps in your JD9 were dual-channel (which I have not seen yet, it's all the same design) it would need more contacts for input and output, right? So it would not physically fit in the same socket, would it? Let alone function... To my ears, it never sounded quite right to me. simply could not happen if they were in the place of dual opamps. For dual opamps they (the developer/engineer in China) would need to make a whole new PCB. And for what? So underwood can use a single to dual opamp adaptor? It simply makes no sense!

Underwood HiFi does a mod... They say they do, but how will you know? So if Underwood states:
We replace the stock $4.00 Burr-Brown OPA-2604 dual op amps in the output driver section with two adapter PCBs, allowing the use of the world's finest op amp, the $25.00 Burr-Brown OPA-627 single surface mount op amp. W use two modules with 4 opamps in total.
They are not stating the real facts. To put it very politely. For whatever reason: commercial, bragging, creating FUD or simply don't know what they're talking about, you name it. Fact is they triple the price of the basic unit! I doubt they need anywhere near the allotted 4.5 hours to complete.

So don't worry, the OPA627AP are fine. Six opamps means 6 single opamps.

slovell
10-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Regards, Sam