View Full Version : Clean tuner mechanism with DeOxit?

147JK
01-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi folks, I have a question regarding the best way to clean up the tuner section of my old receiver.

I recently acquired a Sansui 441 that is in need of a thorough clean up. The boards and internal mechanisms are extremely dusty and all gummed up. I have read the sticky about how to use Deoxit and will begin shortly. But before I start I was wondering..

1. The tuner section is badly gummed up and dirty. It is OK to shoot DeOxit directly into the tuner area, or should I clean the tuner section in some other way?

2. Should I worry about getting any DeOxit on the transparent face parts like the tuning window? I would think it would ruin the clear plastic and should be avoided.

Thanks!

BruceRPA
01-16-2011, 10:54 AM
NO! STOP!

Don't spray anything in the finned section of the tuner! Compressed air only. There is a good thread, in the Tuner forum I believe, about cleaning tuners.

bobschneider
01-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Don't use DeOxit on the tuner, since it leaves a conductive residue which will mess up the tuning. If the tuner has gunk on it which compressed air won't get off, use "tuner cleaner" which is a aerosol cleaner which doesn't leave a residue. Radio Shack may still sell this, otherwise you'll have to go to or order from an electronic supply house.

I agree that getting DeOxit on the transparent parts is a bad idea - it may harm them, and certainly isn't going to help them. I'd stick with Windex, although I'd avoid even that (or any liquid, even water) for parts with printing on them (like the back side of the tuning dial), since it might clean off the printing.

Arkay
01-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I have used 99.9% alcohol for this, and --allowing plenty of time for it ALL to evaporate COMPLETELY, was happy with the results. Alcohol will not leave any residue behind. Acetone would probably work fine, too, but again, make sure it is pure: fingernal-polish remover contains acetone, but it is often NOT pure, having added things like perfume that would leave behind traces. In my case, the air alone had not removed all the "stuck on" dust or whatever had been on the fins, but the alcohol did. I've read various warnings though, about doing things like this, so you may not be so lucky, but it worked for me.

I would NOT use DeOxit there. :nono: As bobschneider just said, it leaves a residue. You MUST NOT use anything that leaves any kind of residue behind; that will throw the tuning off completely. Only use solvents that will evaporate off COMPLETELY, and that will not damage any part of the gear. The safest, conservative approach is to use only air, and if all that is on your tuner is normal air-borne dry dust, then I would recommend using just the compressed air.

kcollins4
01-16-2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144163 Dr.Audio's method.

147JK
01-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Ok I read the tuner cleaning section - thanks. I will try carefully vacuuming things out and see how it works. Sounds like if all else fails, the fins can be rinsed off, but with NON-RESIDUE cleaner only.

BruceRPA
01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144163 Dr.Audio's method.
There you go. That's the one! :thmbsp:

147JK
01-16-2011, 04:50 PM
:tears:

Well, I cleaned the receiver up as best I could, but it has a problem. It will pick up stations for a few minutes, then suddenly the whole signal goes to zero, instantly. Later, it starts working again. Then, drops instantly to zero again. As is, the receiver is not usable. I guess an electronic component is failing.. a capacitor somewhere on the board, maybe?

147JK
01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
OK, that was my fault. I had the wrong antenna connected. The receiver is up and running and is holding a strong signal.:thmbsp:

147JK
01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Well I fooled myself. I thought the antenna was at fault, but the gremlin is back. Receiver works fine for a few hours, then the signal suddenly drops to nothing. Comes back on later for awhile, then drops again at some random time. Is there anything an amateur can look into, or is it time to take it to a shop? Thanks