View Full Version : PIONEER PL-550 vs. KENWOOD KD-550

boatdrinks77
01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Last year I sold my Pioneer PL-550 to my friend and regretted it ever since. He texted me last night and decided to go all digital and said I have first dibs on the turntable. Gonna have to get rid of the KENWOOD KD-550 I just got to pay for the PIONEER, but I don't care (right now...) I'll probably miss the KENWOOD as soon as I sell it !!

I wonder how much he's gonna want for the PIONEER, I sold it to him at such a ridiculously low price - I can't imagine him selling it back to me at that..... At least I know it was taken care of....

What table would you guys rather have ?? The Kenwood or the PIONEER ?? Here are pics of the PIONEER I took before I sold it and a pic of the KENWOOD.... Dan :music:

ghazzer
01-26-2011, 09:19 AM
You already know my preference. I think I'm partial to Pioneers.

Enjoy - - -

ta131js
01-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Just to help you make up your mind, I'd vote for Kenwood.. :yes:

Sounds like you guys are having fun selling things back and forth... :D

Jeff M
01-26-2011, 09:27 AM
If he is a real friend, he would sell it back to you at the same price as long as he didn't upgrade anything.

1newbe
01-26-2011, 09:44 AM
If he is a real friend, he would sell it back to you at the same price as long as he didn't upgrade anything.

Yeah, you're friends right, you did him right on it, I'd certainly hope he'd return the favor. AudioKarma Right?

Tarl Of Gor
01-26-2011, 09:57 AM
I'd have to go with the Pioneer also. :thmbsp:

grafxdesin
01-26-2011, 09:58 AM

I am all about the Pioneer as I have the same TT and love it. I also agree with the post above!

hakaplan
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I wonder how much he's gonna want for the PIONEER, I sold it to him at such a ridiculously low price - I can't imagine him selling it back to me at that..... At least I know it was taken care of...
If he asks one penny more than what he paid you for it (unless he's done any upgrades) I would remove him from my list of those people I consider friends.

princeoftides
01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Another vote foe the Kenwood, a high end of the line.

boreas
01-26-2011, 03:24 PM

+1! Those are my sentiments exactly. If he isn't prepared to sell it to you for what he paid you (plus any upgrades like carts or interconnects) I'd pass. It'll just end up being a source of some degree of friction in your friendship. Meanwhile, you've got the Kenwood and PL-550s aren't exactly impossible to find.

John

majick47
01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
If you don't have a need for two or afford another TT I'd stick with the Kenwood and keep life simple.

63pontiacgp
01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm in the Springs as well and I think you should go for the Pioneer and then give me a really good deal on that Kenwood:D

Mike

jimreeves
01-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Personally I'd say the choice is a crap shoot, both nice tables. Pick the one you like better. Assuming your friend treats you like a friend.

Tedrick
01-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Kenny, but only because I have one and really like it :D. The Pioneer is nice-looking, too.

Junknewbian
01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Isn't that the Kenwood turntable that goes with the Supreme series gear, and therefore is top of the line?

I had two similar, but mid-line turntables, a Kenwood 2055 and a Pioneer 530. The Kenwood with the heavy plinth is much more solid and passed the knock-test better than my Technics 1210 (not that I often knock on my turntables).

I'd go Kenwood, considering you already have it, and you can tell your friend to sell the Pioneer for a nice profit. Good Karma all around.

boatdrinks77
01-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, you're friends right, you did him right on it, I'd certainly hope he'd return the favor. AudioKarma Right?

He is going to sell it back to me for exactly what he paid for it. It's worth at least 2X that...... AUDIOKARMA YES !!!! I didn't expect him to sell it to me back at the same price, because he answered an ad on CL and we became friends AFTER he bought the table (because of or mutual interest in audio).

I personally would sell the table back at the same price, but I wouldn't expect the same from most people. It is refreshing to get all the feedback form you guys stating you would do the same...... It's nice to know there are still people out there that aren't narcissists ..... Dan :music:

redcoates7
01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
glad he's selling it back for the same price...that's the way it should be between friends!

As for the turntable question, I'd have to go for the Kenny. It's a really nicely built machine, and one of the top 'tables they ever built.

Either way, will be curious to hear your impressions of how the Pioneer stacks up when you get it back

princeoftides
01-31-2011, 08:32 AM
They also made the Kenwood with no arm called the KD-500. Got a good review in Stereophile I think. Presumably you can change arms on the KD-550 but I don't know for sure. And where you'd get an armboard I don't know. I had a Black Widow on mine, sold to a "buddy" for payments and got one payment and then zip. He said he'd paid me. What a louse. You're lucky to have great friends.

parman
01-31-2011, 08:42 AM
I like the look of them both, if you can't get good money for the Kenny I would keep it too.

the architect
01-31-2011, 09:41 AM
If he asks one penny more than what he paid you for it (unless he's done any upgrades) I would remove him from my list of those people I consider friends.
yup.

MWalt
01-31-2011, 10:10 AM
I prefer the TOL kenwood. It is also upgradeable to a better tonearm if you are ever so inclined.

slow_jazz
01-31-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm partial to the Pioneer. My platter speed is rock solid always.

boreas
01-31-2011, 11:58 AM
I think they're both great turntables but I prefer the Pioneer. I know it's a really good plinth on the Kenwood but I just can't shake the idea of kitchen counters when I look at it. ;) Now, if they had made it in black or maybe a soapstone gray....

John

63pontiacgp
01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Well...............He went with the Pioneer and I got the Kenwood:D

Mike

boreas
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Well...............He went with the Pioneer and I got the Kenwood:D

Mike

And the karma just keeps on truckin'! Congratulations to the both of you!

John

Sleep
01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
I have and use both, although my Kenwood has a Black Widow tonearm. They both have advantages - I find the sound a little sweeter with the Kenwood, but it doesn't like to keep the speed stable at 45rpm - need to get at the pots with some contact cleaner.

The Pioneer has more stable speed of course, with the quartz lock keeping it where it should be.

Tedrick
02-01-2011, 12:09 AM
They also made the Kenwood with no arm called the KD-500. Got a good review in Stereophile I think. Presumably you can change arms on the KD-550 but I don't know for sure. And where you'd get an armboard I don't know. I had a Black Widow on mine, sold to a "buddy" for payments and got one payment and then zip. He said he'd paid me. What a louse. You're lucky to have great friends.
The '550 was the exact same 'table as the '500 but with a stock Kenwood 'arm installed. So yes, you can change the arm if you can find an armboard (or better yet, make one).

My KD-500 has the Infinity 'arm as well.

boatdrinks77
02-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Ok,

Sold the Kenwood to fellow AK'er 63Pontiacgp (now I have a new friend-what a nice guy !!) and picked up my old pal the PIONEER PL-550..... I am one happy camper !!! Life is good and Everyone is happy !!!! dan:music: