View Full Version : Ranking Shure Cartridges

davidguilbault
02-10-2011, 03:17 AM
Hi folks.

I now have five different, used Shure cartridges. And the more I research them, the more confused I get with all the different styli that will fit in different cartridges. So, please help me choose which you think, from your experience, are the best. I really could use the advise.

I have Grados and Signets in a Marantz 6100 and Yamaha YP-B4. I'm looking to see which of the Shures are best for a Dual 1219 and a Miracord 45. But, open to any and all suggested matches for any of the turntables.

What order would you put these in over-all audiophile quality? I've listed what I think are the proper styli for each cart.

Shure V15 Type II (VN15E stylus)
Shure M97xE (N97xE stylus)
Shure M75 Type D (N75 stylus)
Shure Premier Black (N75ED-T2 stylus)
Realistic R700E (N75ED-T2 stylus)

Thanks.
David.

beej
02-10-2011, 04:07 AM
I posed a similar question recently here.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=346634&highlight=shure

Very helpful responses.

HTHMAN
02-10-2011, 05:04 PM
According to specs, you prpbably have them in the right order (except maybe the first two). That said, I have used the M75 series of Shure cartridges on both a Dual 1009F and Realistic/Elac Lab-60 changer with flawless results. As you probably already know, the stylus dictates probably 90% of the performance you will get from any cartridge. All of the M75's you listed are the same if you use the same stylus and will perform up with the best of them with a good stylus. I have tried other brands, but I keep coming back to my M75 and M91 series of cartridges. Maybe I am just used to the sound that I get from a Shure, but I like it and that is all that matters to me.

davidguilbault
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I just read on this website (http://audiotools.com/index.html) that the Shure M75 Type D cartridge was designed for the Dual. Audiotools.com says, "The M75 D was ... specifically made for Dual to mate perfectly with their arms. It had a slightly different mass and compliance characteristics than the normal M75 model."

HTHMAN
02-10-2011, 06:13 PM
I just read on this website (http://audiotools.com/index.html) that the Shure M75 Type D cartridge was designed for the Dual. Audiotools.com says, "The M75 D was ... specifically made for Dual to mate perfectly with their arms. It had a slightly different mass and compliance characteristics than the normal M75 model."

If you go to Vinylengine.com you can download the owners manual for all those cartridges. I just looked at the M75 type D. It was installed in a Dual and had a 0.6 mil conical stylus that tracked at 2-3 gm. If you replace that stylus with the 0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical stylus that tracks at 0.75-1.5 gm, you will get the performance of the M75ED type 2 cartridge. If you compare the specs of the various incarnations of the M75 cartridges that Shure put out, you will see that the trackability was directly related to the stylus. The 0.2 x 0.7 will track better than a 0.4 x 0.7 which tracks better then a 0.6 conical. I always used the 0.2 x 0.7 stylus in my Dual and Elac changers. My Dual actually came with a Shure M91ED cartridge installed that had the same specs as the M75ED with different plastic on the stylus and no needle guard. An M75 stylus works perfectly on it.

For simplicity, you could us e the M75s on both changers and be able to interchange the stylus. To be current, you can still buy an original Shure stylus for the M97 and can maintain the quality. I have never owned that cartridge, but it seems to be a love/hate relationship with it.

davidguilbault
02-10-2011, 06:35 PM
For simplicity, you could us e the M75s on both changers and be able to interchange the stylus.

Hi Hthman. Good advice. I really am looking for carts where I can use different styli for 33, 45 and 78 rpms. Thanks much. Cheers for now. David.