View Full Version : Kyocera R-651

jkeller
03-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm certainly not someone who could be described as an authority on vintage audio equipment, so I'm hoping that someone here can shine some light on the relative quality of a couple of compnents left to my wife after her father passed away. Along with an AIWA tape deck from around '85, or so, along with a couple of nice, heavy speakers (no more brand ID, thanks to her dad's cat, and his trusty claws. They used to feature a metal medallion in the upper right-hand corner of the speaker foam, with a palm tree and sun-kinda motif), we inherited a Kyocera R-651 receiver/amplifier, and a Luxman DZ-02(?) CD player.

I've got no manuals for the things, but I've been using them for a few years, and the sound is amazing.

I know that Kyocera is no longer in the audio biz, but that's about it.

As I said, though, I'm somewhere below "newbie audiophile"-status, so I was hoping that someone around these parts could tell me what I've got on my hands. Decent stuff? Junk?

Thanks!

Nat
03-28-2005, 05:18 PM
The Kyocera Recievers are well regarded, though a little odd looking. They seem to sell for pretty good sums on ebay. A friend runs some martin logans off of one, and likes it enough to be uninterested in upgrading.
The speakers are the big unknown -- there have been several posts here and on other sites asking what the brand was, but no answer that I know of. I have seen the speakers and they look well made, but know nothing more.
The real question is: Do you like the equipment? If you don't, reputation doesn't matter, and if you do, why worry?