02-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Two months ago I traded my au-919 to a friend and
somtimes wonder if I did the right thing. Well today I
I picked up the au-D11 ii for 100 frog skins, I had to
move fast Because it was posted on CL. I on my way
home to play, and can't wait. Checking the specs on the
D11, seem to be alittle better than the 919, but pretty
close. Any feedback would be helpful. Experiences &
thoughts? Thanx in advance. Oh yeah pics soon.

ghamilton
02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Mistake to give up the 919. The D11 II has issues according to some reports here on AK. My 919 is NOT for sale!

Hyperion
02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
The AU-D11 II issues while perhaps not fully resolved (on mine) are so minor it should not put anyone else off getting one.

Just as you would with any vintage amp - you should be prepared to spend some money on properly reconditioning it - then you will know just how good they can sound.

I am sure my AU-D11 II will give an AU-919 a very good run for its money IMO.

Just waiting for the chance to find out for sure :thmbsp: :smoke:

ricohman
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I don't think anything on the AU-D11 II is unavailable, yet. As are the original outputs on the 919.
I also don't believe the AU-D11 II is likely to fry these certain unobtainable components, like the 919.
However, having never heard a 919 I cannot comment on how it would compare to the AU-D11 II. But the AU-D11 II is a beautiful thing to listen to and I certainly enjoy mine.

Bobbyd218
02-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I have both, though neither have been reconditioned. I haven't had my D11 II running in some time, and it does need some work. But I do remember it to be the most impressive amp in my collection, and once I get it serviced, would never get rid of it....

reggaenaut
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
The AU919 is not an amp which finds love from a lot of Sansui fans: because it is the most neutral of the Sansuis units and was designed to be played at reasonable levels.

mjs1
02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
I have both and have listened to them both as stock and reconditioned. My AU-D11 II was reconditioned by EW, the AU-919 by someone else. I was also able to set up a switchbox and do a blinded comparison between them first using my then 60 year old ears, then those of my boys, one of whom is an excellent musician. My favorite is the AU-919. However, when we set them to what appeared to be the same volume level, none of us could differentiate between them when blinded with the switchbox. The bottom line is that these are both excellent amps. The AU-919 clearly has the advantage in build quality. Of course, YMMV.

Marc

Indynryder
02-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Well I am really happy with the au-D11 ii. The guy I bought
it from was in his mid 50's, he said a friend of his bought it
while he was in the military, new, and didn't use it much. He
said his friend gave it to him awhile ago when he moved away.
The gentelman said he didn't know anything about it, and
didn't have a chance to hook it up, & gave me a week to see
if it had any issues, for a refund. So far no issues at all just a
little static when moving the balence knob ( deoxit ). Cosmedicly
I'd say, 9.5 of 10, small scratch top back cornner. Sonicly
the HF is more natural, than the 919, witch seemed kinda high,
& LF is tight and more reaveling. I'm using the A/D/S L810
I traded for the au-919, to test this equipment with. This is
an awsome combination, and a very clean sound. Last night
4hrs of listening went by, and didn't realize it was getting late.
Strong posiblity this is going in the keeper pile.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab127/dalehly/03b0f5fc.jpg

pete_mac
02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Very nice! Congratulations!

SoCal Sam
02-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Congrats! I'm also looking at a local AU-D11ii and have the same question. However, based on reports on background static (which is unacceptable in solid state), I'm going to have to say the 919 is better. The 919 has separate transformers for the pre and main which IMO is a better arrangement.

Hyperion
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Congrats! I'm also looking at a local AU-D11ii and have the same question. However, based on reports on background static (which is unacceptable in solid state), I'm going to have to say the 919 is better. The 919 has separate transformers for the pre and main which IMO is a better arrangement.

Where have you heard reports of "background static" ?

Mine is as quiet as a 'church mouse' in this regard. :smoke:

I would venture to suggest that 'static' will be a locally induced artifact - unless there is something wrong - i.e. component failure within the amp itself.

ghamilton
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
If you like the D11-II better than the 919 then thats the one that you need. We're talking about some of the best from Sansui.
The speaker wire in the photo looks like lamp cord. Something like 16 or 18 ga.
The softer sounding amp would be better with that wire.
Changing the speaker wire to something better can make as much difference as changing amps! This is what I ended up with after trying several different cables.> http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2561
And these are the binding posts on the back of my amp after mod.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3021140#post3021140

ricohman
02-23-2011, 10:21 PM

I would venture to suggest that 'static' will be a locally induced artifact - unless there is something wrong - i.e. component failure within the amp itself.

I think he may be referring to my thread about left channel noise.
But like I said, you need a quiet room and your ear pressed into the big Altec horn to hear it.
However, it isn't dead quiet like my AU-717 is, and I wish it was.

SoCal Sam
02-23-2011, 10:28 PM

In this thread and I think another D11 thread. One report was of an unresolved background noise after an extensive re-cap. The prevalence is a little too high for me if I am to consider one for 919 money.

Agreed, the background noise is likely some component leaking which is a pain to find.