View Full Version : Sony KSS-240A Laser Replacing Inquiry

Dan Schafer
03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Hi All,
Just want to make sure the Sony KSS-240A laser Pick-up is "plug-& play"? Is there any on-line steps/illustrations to do the replacement/removal? I'd like to get my old Sony CDP-C615 CD player going again. Has anyone had any luck with the KSS-240A pick-ups available on eBay? Too bad I missed out on MCM's sale on the original Sony's last Fall. This CD player has it's own remote variable level & tone effects controls, I loved playing it directly into my old Marantz 250 amp with nothing in between. Thanks

earphone
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Any luck? Did you try the replacement? I have a similar model Sony (actually probably the same unit with a different model number C67ES) and I'm tempted to change the laser but am afraid I'll just botch it up.

Oilmaster
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Please be aware that some of the diodes on new laser pick-ups are shorted (by solder) to protect them against destruction by EMC discharge (you), and this short needs to be removed only after the new pick-up is installed. Hence, for new laser pick-ups, there is no such thing as plug-and-play. Many pick-ups offered on ebay are recovered from old cd-players and might be 'plugged-in' but proper adjustment still needs to be done (service manual mandatory).

You can check which other cd-players used your pick up on this site (http://vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-players/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm): just type KS-240A in the filter field and you'll get all the cd players which used this pick-up: many :yes:. And some of them sell very very cheap on ebay, much cheaper then buying a seperate (used) pick-up. Good hunt....

Edit: well it seems the KS-240A isn't expensive at all on ebay, just buy one...but yes you need some knowhow on how to install them (google, and you'll find several inetresting sites) and a service manual + o'scope to adjust them properly. Sorry, no easy plug-and-play affair.

earphone
07-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Oilmaster! Extremely extremely helpful advice!

I have several working Cd players but I still miss my CDP-C67ES which sounded at least as good as my office system Adcom 600 which is awesome. I've tried several attempts at tweaking things to correct its skipping, with success that's always proved fleeting. Most frustrating is getting it to play a whole disc without skipping but then after I put it back in the rack it's skipping again. Shimming doesn't help.

At this point the laser change is the logical move, and I think I can pull it off. My only concern is whether to buy one of the cheaper new laser units or one of the "genuine original" (so they say) Sony units from the same seller.

It would really sting if I shelled out the high price of a so-called original unit and then couldn't make it work. I'm thinking I should do this "practice run" with the cheaper one.

Please be aware that some of the diodes on new laser pick-ups are shorted (by solder) to protect them against destruction by EMC discharge (you), and this short needs to be removed only after the new pick-up is installed. Hence, for new laser pick-ups, there is no such thing as plug-and-play. Many pick-ups offered on ebay are recovered from old cd-players and might be 'plugged-in' but proper adjustment still needs to be done (service manual mandatory).

You can check which other cd-players used your pick up on this site (http://vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-players/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm): just type KS-240A in the filter field and you'll get all the cd players which used this pick-up: many :yes:. And some of them sell very very cheap on ebay, much cheaper then buying a seperate (used) pick-up. Good hunt....

Edit: well it seems the KS-240A isn't expensive at all on ebay, just buy one...but yes you need some knowhow on how to install them (google, and you'll find several inetresting sites) and a service manual + o'scope to adjust them properly. Sorry, no easy plug-and-play affair.

Oilmaster
07-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Are you sure that it is not a 'simple' mechanical problem, meaning that (any part of) the mechanism has some dried out lubrication, or badly lubricated parts, or dirt built up and then dried-out? I say simply, but it can be a hack of the job to clean out all micro/internal spaces, but it might be something else then the laser/diodes or focussing adjustment. Also, it is often said that the grease is special grease.

I think there is no reason to believe why the ebay adds are counterfaits (IMO), for such a low price there is no point in making and selling them, at least not for such regular plastic model. They have been used at large scale by many manufacturers, hence a lot of surplus as usual. As I said before, please do be aware that the diodes are normally shorted by solder until thye have been connected and installed. I think you will find several websites explaining what and how to.

I've had a good introduction/demonstration on pick-up assembly replacement and adjustment by a friend who knows this matter very well, but I cannot repeat that here without having done it several times myself (succesfully). But one day.... a couple of CDP-101's and numorous discmans waiting for pick-up cleaning, adjusting and/or repalcement.

Good luck, keep us posted if you buy one and replace it...

avionic
07-10-2011, 03:32 PM
emc discharge
-- ESD- electro-static discharge

Oilmaster
07-10-2011, 07:10 PM
-- ESD- electro-static discharge

typo...

dr*audio
07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
The KSS240 does not have the shorting pads because the amplifier stage is incorporated into the pickup board and the laser diode has no connection to the outside world. There are focus bias. tracking offset and laser current adjustments on the pickup but normally they do not require adjustment.

dr*audio
07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I did not know this pickup had been discontinued. this place claims to have it:
http://www.electronix.com/sony-cd-pickup-p-8446.html
I don't know if it's original or a knockoff.

fonon
03-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi,
I have a question about compatibility of replacement KSS-240A pick-ups made in China. I found the strange information (from the seller) that some of them are compatible with SONY cd-players only. Does anyone know anything more about this?
f.

Oilmaster
03-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Sounds more like a seller playing safe, not knowing that Sony and Philips account for 80~90% of all pick-ups made and installed in all cd players ever built. A KSS-240A is a KSS-240A. Perhaps he sells it with a supplementary mechanism that is only used in some Sony players, but you could always remove that. Check out the sellers profile first. Concerning Sony China, yes Sony has (had) a lot of manufacturing plants in China, hence that is not surprising. Sony only keeps the (very) high end made in Japan, and even in there are components coming from Sony factories in other countries.

petehall347
03-27-2012, 05:50 PM
i have changed quite a few laser assemblies and they have all worked straight away .
best way would be change the whole mechanism as it will be/ should be factory set .
most have had the shorting solder . all were new ones .

fonon
03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
A KSS-240A is a KSS-240A.
Not exactly. There are original KSS-240A made by Sony (no matter where) and KSS-240A made by no name manufacturers in China. Unfortunately SONY terminated production of KSS-240A and original pick-ups are unavailable.
f.