View Full Version : BIC Beam Box

2string1
04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Is that BIC Beam Box any better then the dipole. Does it actually give better reception. It seems to be a simple ribbon antenna that can be turned.

slow_jazz
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
It's good if you live in the city.

Patrice B
04-25-2011, 08:37 PM
I've just bought one on the Auction Site...

Reception is really difficult in my new apartment... and the WAF of my old RCA rabbit ears is low :)

Sam Cogley
04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I live well away from several of the radio stations I listen to, and the FM 8 Beam Box gives excellent reception on my Fisher 800B.

trhee
04-26-2011, 01:48 AM
I have and use a BIC FM-10 that I bought NOS around 4 years ago. Performance wise, it's similar to a simple dipole. It's not something I'd recommend where signal strength is weak to begin with. However, if you live in or near a city where you have a good signal but also have strong multipath, it works well.

The advantage over dipole is that it's far more convenient and looks far better than using a dipole. As for the convenience, it's because you can aim the directionality with a twist of a knob instead of physically moving a dipole. With the 3 knobs (Tuning, Wide/Narrow, Direction), it's pretty easy fine tuning the antenna for a particular station.

IMO, a set of good rabbit ears will be slightly better but I can't stand the sight of those things. I've thought about getting a Magnum Dynalab ST2 omnidirectional antenna to see if it improves on the BIC FM-10.

pbda
04-26-2011, 08:09 AM
It's a great piece of kit; far more convenient than a dipole because it's tunable without having to move the antenna.

blhagstrom
04-26-2011, 08:40 AM
I bought one back when they first came out.
I picked up another one last year here on AK.
They are convinient in that you don't have to hang a dipole up and can "turn" them with the knobs.

My problem has always been weak signals and they don't help that at all (in my experience).

They look cool and are convinient to use. That's about it for me.

2string1
04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
OK great now to find one. There where 2 on that auction site last night and now there gone.

djv8ga
04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I love mine. It looks real cool in the cabinet as well. :thmbsp:

Patrice B
04-26-2011, 06:38 PM
I have and use a BIC FM-10 that I bought NOS around 4 years ago. Performance wise, it's similar to a simple dipole. It's not something I'd recommend where signal strength is weak to begin with. However, if you live in or near a city where you have a good signal but also have strong multipath, it works well.

My exact problem: signal is strong (between 8 and 9 on my Scott 350) but there is some hiss in the background and sometimes distortion. Just moving the rabbit ears or rotating the tuning knob (on the rabbit ears) could lead to some improvements but I'm a little tired having to do it often...

2string1
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Anybody know where I can find one of these...BIC FM-10

djv8ga
04-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Anybody know where I can find one of these...BIC FM-10
Try doing a "for sale" Google search. I did it and found mine after going through a 12 pack of Moose Head and around 50 pages. I found mine on some stupid site for selling things & the ad was 2 years old. I emailed the guy and scored a NOS FM-10 for $60.00. :thmbsp: You never know.

DCinDC
05-03-2011, 04:16 PM
You don't need the higher models. They're just prettier.

I have the vinyl covered one. Was gonna sell it, but the convenience is compelling.

It works better than a powered Parsec.

goldear
05-03-2011, 04:32 PM
The BIC Beam boxes are terrific if you have a strong stations.

2string1
05-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Still looking for a FM-10

Cactus Bob
05-03-2011, 06:59 PM
If you became an AK Subscriber you could start a "Want to Buy" post. I have bought & sold a lot of gear to other trustworthy AK'rs. Well worth 25 bucks/year.

SteveinMN
05-07-2011, 10:22 PM
The Beam Box is great if the problem you have is multipath interference. If the problem you have is poor signal strength or a cr@ppy tuner, it won't be any better than a dipole (in fact, it's a bit worse because of some signal losses). I've been rolling an FM-8 since they were first sold and won't ever part with it. But it can't fix every reception problem.