View Full Version : Luxman R115

BeerCan
04-16-2005, 11:58 AM
I have a Luxman R115 I purchased new in 1991. Now that I have caught the silver bug I was wondering if I should keep this unit.

Is it considered vintage yet?
Does it have collector value?

If I was to put it on ebay what could I reasonably expect to get out of it?

I would like maybe use this to finance my sickness :)

BC

Patrick
04-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Very good unit, from everything I've heard - considered one of the better basic stereo receivers of the last 20 years. No bells and whistles - just clean sound. Excellent build quality.

It's not really vintage and therefore probably not collectible. Its bigger and much more powerful brother (the R117) is generally considered more desirable.

As to current value, someone with Orion access might give you a clue but the R115 typically goes for $125-$200 on eBay, depending on obvious variables like condition. Hope this helps.

JoZmo
04-16-2005, 01:24 PM
LUX
RCV, R- 115 CABLE-READY w/REMOTE

Description: CD STRAIGHT, PRE-OUT JACKS, VIDEO SOURCE SELECTION

Manufacture Years: 1987 - Current

Additional Information:
Power: 70

Retail
MSRP: $800.00
USED: $250.00
Wholesale
Mint: $150.00
Average: $85.00

Wow, $800 new! Isn't it Luxman that is considered the Japanese MacIntosh? If it was me I'd keep it but, the choice is yours.

dingus
04-16-2005, 02:35 PM
if you're not happy with it i am sure you will have no trouble selling it. with the recent "vintage boom", i think you will be hard pressed to find anything comparable in sound and spec's for anywhere near what you can get for the Luxman.

Crotalus
04-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I would definetly keep it. It may not be a "collectors item" or be considered vintage, but someday, IMO, it will. One of the nicer black stereo receivers and I bet the sound is hard to beat. I just picked up a R-113 and there is no way I'm getting rid of it. :no:

swocgo
01-29-2006, 04:45 PM
I have a Luxman R115 which I would like to sell. It is about 10 years old, in pristine condition, as far as I know. Anyone interested please contact me (swocgo@dnet.net)
thanks,
SO

bully
01-29-2006, 05:08 PM
It works for me! Luxman is very good gear. I have a 1996 C-383 preamp I like a lot, using it to control a Denon amp and HPM-900 speakers.

tman202
09-22-2008, 03:03 AM
Just got my nice 'new' R-115 (won from someone on here, it turns out) set up and running, replacing the NAD 7400 with the weak left channel (finally). Sounds very good, although I can't really compare since the 7400 had the weak channel*. If this one ends up being a keeper I will miss the ol' NAD. I actually like the unique look and feel of the NAD, and feature-wise it can't be beat - I love that the tuner display panel shuts off when not using the tuner (especially since currently I am in a studio apartment and the lights can be a bit annoying if trying to go to sleep while listening), the switchable bass and treble adjustment frequencies, and the 'bass EQ' button which subtly boosted the sub-60 Hz frequencies (I like that better than the standard loudness button on the R-115, which I think may boost the mid-bass a bit too much). It also had nice touches like a raised ridge between the volume buttons on the remote so you could find them easily in the dark. (I wish the Luxman remote had a mute button, and CD Direct control so you could go back and forth between sources - the TV runs through the receiver as well - and use that feature from the couch).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to giving the R-115 a good workout this week. It's in pristine looking condition. I'm running it through Avid 102a's (85 db/w/m), but I assume it will have enought power to drive them. Although it's rated at 75 wpc, according the Stereo Review bench test it clipped at 105 wpc (being the curious audio info geek that I am I biked over to the library on Saturday and copied the R-115 review from the Feb '88 Stereo Review. :nerd: )

*(How do you compare amps/receivers anyway? If they are both quality units, by the time you get another one hooked up it seems like it would be difficult if not impossible to remember what the first one sounded like to compare, especially considering how short 'acoustic memory' is. Is it possible to hook two amps up to the same speakers without damaging anything?)

chasaboo
09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Man, I love the Avids. Great stuff. And I love Luxman kit as well.

Nice stuff you got brother.

tman202
09-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Man, I love the Avids. Great stuff. And I love Luxman kit as well.

Nice stuff you got brother.

Thanks. Found out about both through this site. They were e-pay finds as opposed to thrift store steals, but still for a total of $250 for both (incl shipping) I think they would be tough to beat for anywhere near the price. Looks like those Avid 102a's I snagged are pretty rare, too.

I plan on getting the NAD fixed so I can try and compare with the Lux. While much better built with a metal face-plate, looks-wise the Luxman reminds me too much of the BPC Onkyo 8511 that the NAD had replaced (and blew away) years ago, with the standard BPC tuner readout and loudness control - but, if it ends up sounding at least as good as the NAD it'll stick around for a (hopefully long) while. Even though the Lux matches my black Sony ES SACD player I really like the old-style red LED readout of the NAD and the unique design and features, plus it was my first really 'good' audio purchase so there's some sentimental value there as well.