View Full Version : Denon POA-2200 - what's the real story?

wjahn5
04-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Have seen a few threads with info that this is a 200 WPC or 250 WPC amp. Blue Book lists it as 500 WPC. I think 200 /250 is a more accurate rating but does anyone have any documentation on it so I can be 100% sure?

axel
04-24-2005, 07:32 AM
AFAIK, offhand and roughly:

POA-2200 = 2x 300 into 4Ohm, 2x 220W RMS into 8Ohm
POA-2400 = 2x 200 into 8Ohm

helps?

bully
04-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Somewhere I have the full specs, and they were given as 200 wpc. It is, however, a very strong 200 wpc! I have one and it is a very fine amplifier.
I have it driving my HPM-900 & controlled by a Luxman C-383.

tentoze
04-24-2005, 10:55 AM
What Bully said.........mine drives DQ-10's to "neighbors-hate-me" levels.

wjahn5
04-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Found it listed in Audio magazine as 200 WPC in 8 ohms and 300 WPC in 4 ohms. Must be just a small error on the blue book data.

562lonnie
12-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi,
I am new to this site so any info is a great help. I recently acquired a Denon POA-2200 and I'm quite confused on how this thing is hooked up. On the back it has inputs for CD and normal (left & right). I hooked up a CD player to the CD input of course and that works fine. I also hooked my pre-amp out going to the normal inputs but some how I cannot use any of the pre-amps functions such as bass, tremble and volume controls.
I know it has volume controls on the back but is that the only way to control the volume?
I also have a Denon 3805 that I was thinking of hooking it up to but I'm not sure if I should do that.
It does play but somehow it's not the powerhouse that I've been reading about...especially if I can put the volume controls to max level and still not shake my JBL L100's.
Anyone know where I can find a manual for this amp? It would be helpful to have one since mine did not come with one and I've looked everywhere too.
Anyhow...all replys are of great importance.

Thanks,
Lonnie

tentoze
12-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Lonnie,

The cd inputs are for use with a cd that has an independent volume control and one doesn't want to use a preamp with the POA-2200. If you have a pre hooked up to the normal inputs and a cd unit hooked to the cd inputs, the pre will have no efffect on the cd player, since the inputs on the amp are entirely discrete (as a matter of fact, the owner's manual advises against using both inputs at the same time). Hook yr cd player through yr pre as you normally would and you should be good to go, as in throwing the voice coils on those JBL's through the walls.

I just found my 2200 owner's manual (not that it's very enlightening), and will be happy to send you a copy if you're not impatient. It will be mebbe 2 weeks before I can get around to it, after I get back to work and a copy machine. PM me with an address if you want it.

et

562lonnie
12-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the info...If I cannot use the pre then what is the normal input used for?
So the bass & tremble are not adjustable either I guess.
I was thinking also of hooking my Sony TC-850 reel with it...do you think that will work.
As long as it has a volume control I guess.
I will send you my info about the manual too.
That is awsome...thanks.
I want to use this amp properly.
Also...Is this a Class A amp as I read about or is that the later models? :scratch2:

Thanks again...
Lonnie

mobydud
12-28-2005, 11:59 AM
The Denon POA 2200 and 2400 Amps are listed by Denon as being 200 watts per channel amps. They have a two pairs of input jacks on the back labled "Normal" and "CD", along with an input level ( volume ) control.

The idea is if you are going to use your CD player alone, as in no other components in the system, you hook it into the CD input and set the volume either from your player's volume control if it has one, or by adjusting the input level controls on the amp. This is a "CD Direct" hookup, and was all the rage for a while. No preamp, no tape deck, no turntable, tuner, or anything else. Just a CD player straight to the power amp and out to the speakers. CD only system.

The "normal" inputs are for connecting a preamp in the more usual fashion. If you are going to use a preamp you need to hook it to these inputs, adjust the level if you wish, and then hook all your other source components to the preamp in normal fashion. As Tentoze said, it's not designed to use both inputs..just one or the other.

So...if you want to use your tape deck, CD player, tuner or whatever you need to hook these into the preamps inputs, then the preamp into the "normal" inputs on the POA 2200, and be sure the little switch that chooses inputs is set to normal as well.

Then it will all work, using the preamp as your control source.

Hope that helps.

562lonnie
12-28-2005, 06:42 PM
My Cd player does not have a volume control so I hooked the amp's normal straight into the pre's out and the Cd player straight into the pre.
I have the volume controls on the amp all the way to the max level and when I played a Cd... I still was not impressed with this units power.
I turned the volume control was way past the 2:00 O clock position which is more than my 100 w Mitsubishi would let me go until I had to back off and the bass is really lacking.
Something is screwed up somewhere or maybe I'm expecting to much from this amp but it still does not sound like a 200 watter...yet.
Anyhow...I will keep on trying to wake this amp up.

tentoze
12-28-2005, 07:50 PM
My Cd player does not have a volume control so I hooked the amp's normal straight into the pre's out and the Cd player straight into the pre.
I have the volume controls on the amp all the way to the max level and when I played a Cd... I still was not impressed with this units power.
I turned the volume control was way past the 2:00 O clock position which is more than my 100 w Mitsubishi would let me go until I had to back off and the bass is really lacking.
Something is screwed up somewhere or maybe I'm expecting to much from this amp but it still does not sound like a 200 watter...yet.
Anyhow...I will keep on trying to wake this amp up.

I don't have a lot of suggestions here, unfortunately. What I do know for a fact is that a properly functioning 2200 will kick ANY SS 100 watt amplifier in the ditch.

mobydud
12-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I can't think of anything else either really, Ummm sounds like you know how to hook it up ok. You were using this preamp with your previous poweramp, hooked up the same way, Cd hooked up the same..and it was kickin butt? And now with this amp it's nowhere near?

Something is wrong somewhere,,I guess that sounds obvious but..check all the cables, switches, etc. Be sure you didn't wire up the speakers out of phase or something. I know in the excitement or anticipation of trying a new component I've hooked things up bassackward more than once, and was really panicking over what was wrong until I tracked it down.

But that amp should be cracking your foundations.

562lonnie
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
I will check out the hook-ups thanks.
You also mentioned to set a switch...I have not seen a switch to set what you described anywhere on this unit.
:confused:

562lonnie
12-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Guess whats fellas.
After checking the connections as you suggested I found I had crossed polarity on one of the speaker connections :screwy:
After fixing said problem the sound was so much better especially the bass.
So much deeper and crisp.
I want to hook the CD staight in by itself to see how that sounds now.
As far as the volume level... after going to about 2:o clock on the volume knob my speakers were almost coming unglued. I probably figured for 200wpc going past the 12:0 clock on the volume level was impossible but I am cranking JBL L100's so it can take alot of what this amp is throwing.
I still would like to know what switch your refering to. Switching between normal and CD.
Oh yeah...do not drink wine while your trying to troubleshoot either. :nono:

Lonnie

mobydud
12-30-2005, 12:50 AM
:D Crossed polarity will get you everytime! When I hear that thin wimpy sound coming out of what should be a big whompin amp I've found it to be the case 98% of the time. The other 2% is a dirty switch or control somewhere. Glad to hear it's rockin like it should!

As for the switch, perhaps the 2200 doesn't have it. I have brochures on the 2400 that show a switch on the back panel by the inputs to swap between "CD" and "Normal" input. I just assumed the 2200 had them as well, maybe not.

If it's pumpin like it should be now, you must have it wired up right anyway!

Glad to help :)

562lonnie
12-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Thanks again for the help...
Could you tell me if this is a class A rated amp?

Thanks

562lonnie
12-30-2005, 01:19 AM
Thanks again for the help...
Could you tell me if this is a "Class A" rated amp.
I do not have a manual but I read that it is and it isn't

mobydud
12-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Not really. They have some kind of optical link to switch between Class A at low levels and Class B at higher levels. Sort of a marketing and engineering gimmick, but not a true Class A amp.

562lonnie
12-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks again for the help.
Could you tell me if this is a Class A rated amp?
I do not have the manual but I read that it is and it isn't.
Thanks

562lonnie
12-30-2005, 01:32 AM
I kind of figured that it wasn't but I see on the later model POA-2400 or 2800 I'm not quite sure, that they even have it marked on the front panel as being class A.
Do you go past the 12:o clock volume level on your amp or is that considered to loud or?
Now that mine is hooked up right...at that level it is pretty loud.

mobydud
12-30-2005, 01:47 AM
"Optical" Class A..not the genuine thing. Kind of like "Genuine Imitation Leather" = vinyl or plastic that looks like leather. A far cry from the real thing.

As far as position of the volume control, I turn it to where I like the sound. Where it winds up is where it winds up. :)

562lonnie
12-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Your so right about the volume knob...that was kinda a stupid way of asking about that. :stupid:
I was really trying to get an idea of the volume control levels on this amp compared to a 100 watter or less.
As far as Class A...I'm not dissapointed about that. This amp sounds really nice now the problem is solved.
Now its a keeper. :thmbsp:

bully
12-30-2005, 07:14 PM
I have a superb Yamaha M-80 driving a pair of Phase Linear P-530 (now playing!), and the Denon POA-2200 with the HPM-900 sounds just as good. The POA-2200 is as good a 200 wpc amp I've heard, and I've heard plenty, including my Yamaha M-70--the POA-2200 is more substantial than the Yamaha (though the Yammie sounds great, too).
I also have the control amp mate, the PRA-1100 somewhere here.

bully
12-30-2005, 07:17 PM
No, the POA-2200 does not run in pseudo-Class A mode. It is a Class AB amp.
But it doesn't detract from the quality of the amp. My Yamaha M-80 will run pseudo-Class A up to 25 wpc, but when I've tried it, I really am not sure I've heard a difference. Maybe with an exceptionally well recorded source at very moderate SPL.

bully
12-31-2005, 02:02 PM
200 wpc, continuous from 10Hz to 20KHz into 8 Ohms, 300 wpc into 4 Ohms. THD at rated output <0.002%. Intermodulation distortion at rated output alos <0.002%.
Dynamic power output at 2 Ohms 600 watts per channel.
Power band width, 5Hz to 80KHz. Frequency response 1Hz to 300KHz, +0, -3dB @ 1 watt.
S/N ration 123 dB. Slew rate, +/- 500 V/p.
This is one powerful amp with great bass control and smoothness on up the FR.

562lonnie
01-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Happy New Years everyone...
I have a situation with my Denon POA-2200.
Your advices helped me to get this amp up and awake and now I have a problem with the right side not working.
I first had this hooked to a my Mitsubishi DA-P10 pre-amp. Sounded nice and clean. Then I switched it to a Marantz 1070 amp so play with the midrange control. Also sounded nice but the Mits sounded clear and cleaner.
When I power on the 2200, there was a moment when the protection light was kinda flickering on the last 2 lights but now when I turn it on it acts normal...but still no sound from the right side. I move the balance to left...sound, to right...no sound.
I checked the connections, I switched the speakers to see if maybe one was blown but Its not. Its the amp.
Any suggestions to what it might be? I barely had this amp not evan a month and now this :tears:
Maybe a fuse...who knows.
I have not opened the cover to take a look.
Anyone know of an authorized Denon service in L.A County?
Regards to all.

Lonnie

SPL db
01-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Have ya tried swapping the outputs of the preamp to make sure it's not the preamp at fault?

Scott

tentoze
01-04-2006, 07:49 AM
IIRC, there are 8A output fuses inside the unit. Just realize that if one blew, there's a reason for it. Dunno about LA techs, but you should be able to find someone to go through it to get it right- bear in mind the thing is about 20 years old, and everything gets tired eventually.

562lonnie
01-04-2006, 08:50 AM
That is true. For being as old as it is it is still a keeper.
I went thru the Denon website and punched in my zip code and found one that is authorized and pretty local. I will check the fuses too.
Thanks again fellas...I will keep you posted.
I think I know what kinda happen though. I brought over this Akai GX-220D reel to reel that belongs to my Dad to check because this thing makes a loud popping sound for some reason even when not playing. After hooking it up to see if maybe it was my Dads stereo, it started popping on mine loudly so I think maybe this reel blew a fuse inside the denon.
I will check it out...

Regards to all,
Lonnie

562lonnie
01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Hello,
I know these 2 names are ranked high in quality and power but can anyone tell me which is a better made amp and sounds better,
the Denon POA-2200 or the Luxman M-117?
There both rated at 200wpc but the Luxman is bigger an weighs more.
I own the Denon, which I know is a fine amp, but I know nothng about the Luxman.
Can anyone compare them and tell me the pros and cons of each amp and which one they feel is a superior product?
I know they are both winners but I just want some feedback and reviews.
:thumbsdn: :thmbsp:

Lonnie