View Full Version : Nikko receivers

JoZmo
07-03-2002, 06:17 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Nikko receivers were/are considered vintage receivers coveted by stereo collectors.

But I haven't seen any mention of them on this board.

I was at a relatives house recently and started snooping around at his stereo and I see this beautiful receiver in his rack with a silver faceplate, big knobs and these toggle switches (I guess that's what you call them)

I asked him how long he's had it and he says since the early 70's, he thinks.
I tell him they don't make them like that anymore and don't get rid of it no matter what, and if he does to call me first.

Didn't get a chance to hear it but I just liked the way it looked.

Any info on these receivers?

Grumpy
07-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Thor has a nice little Nikko. Maybe he can chime in :D

THOR
07-03-2002, 10:52 PM
I do have one and it is very cute and nice if you want I can post a pic ;)

JoZmo
07-04-2002, 12:12 PM
That would be great Thor, I'd like to see a pic, but can you tell me more about them?
Are they worth picking up if I happen to find one on a treasure hunt?

Thanks

THOR
07-04-2002, 05:37 PM
I would say it is a nice little reciever but I don't think Nikko is known for TOTL stuff, I might be wrong, but if you could get it cheap I would defienetely get it. I got mine real cheap (free from grumpy :D ) and I use it in my basement system. I looks cool and seems to perform well.

ProAc_Fan
07-04-2002, 05:48 PM
Well the words Nikko and coveted probably shouldn't appear in the same sentence. They are strictly middle of the road and not very well made.This brand was sold at a local " The Brick" store during the 80's. This store would be akin to a best buy or circuit city in the U.S. It wasn't expensive then and is downright cheap as used gear now. I have seen a few Nikko amps fetch way too much on the bay. Just goes to show a fool and his money will soon be seperated. IF you can get the Nikko dirt cheap than go for it but its no audiophile piece. IMHO!!

:alien: :thumbsdn: :butt2:

mg196
05-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Uh Oh...Looks like there may be a fight brewin'!! http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39224

Filmboydoug
05-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Ahem. Screw it, it's not worth it.

bolly
05-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I know where a Nikko STA-9090 is. :D

mg196
05-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I was just doing a little digging in the recesses of the AK archives! Not tryin' to start a war over hear. After all, what's it good for?

Filmboydoug
05-22-2005, 01:38 PM
I know where a Nikko STA-9090 is. :D

Where? Bolly, if you have one could you post a front and rear pic? Need that for my pic collection. :)

Rockmonton
05-22-2005, 01:46 PM
i'm a fan of nikko gear, most of it is really decent well built solid middle of the road gear.

gyusher
05-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Try telling AN aLPHA 220 or a 1019 that they are bush league and their owners will argue with you. . . If you consider Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz, Sony among other mainstream audio makers then Nikko must be considered as well.

I have owned many Nikko pieces all were extraordinary. I gave my 1019 receiver to my grandaughter who runs it just about wide open and has done so for the last two years. . . I thought it might make it a couple months. . .

As far as Nikko seperates go in my mind are some of the finest sounding amps you can buy especially for the money. . .

May not be premimum gear but Nikko presents itself very well. . . Spend some time with them and you will see.

bolly
05-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey D, for some pics of my STA-9090, check here (http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16526&highlight=sta-9090). :yes:

johndoe3
05-22-2005, 04:08 PM
I have two late 70's Nikko receivers (STA-8085, and NR-519), two integrated amps (NA-850, and TRM-800), and two tuners (NT-850, and FAM-400). Nothing TOTL. My limited experience with these is that the amps are nothing to be ashamed of, they work well, and sound good. The integrated amps appear to be well made and I like them. The tuners however, and tuner sections on the receivers are terrible, they do not work very well for me. In fact, out of all of the many pieces of gear in my collection, Nikko has the worst tuners, hands down! I have a goofy silver faced MCS receiver that tunes better than any of my Nikko tuners!

MCS Guy
05-22-2005, 04:12 PM
The Nikko 1415 receiver was the TOTL model with 175 WPC I think. Always wanted one.

Brian
05-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Nikko hit the shores in about '71-72 and was sold by Tech Hi-Fi in the Boston area. It was slotted in to compete with the Technics, Concord, etc. lines and offered higher than average markups so great deals could be given in systems. As for quality, well rather variable within the same model and between models. Some models were okay and other terrible. They did have a preamp, amp and integrated amp that if they held together for the first 72 hours wold be reliable and for the money quite decent sounding though no great shakes from a component and construction quality perspective. After a couple of years the company pulled the franchise from Tech when I think it decided it wanted to be taken as a more serious company and about the same time it seemed the engineering and quality improved dramatically. Not sure, but don't think it ever climbed into the ranks of any of the major companies.

bully
05-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Nikko gear I have seen and heard have been quite good.
I have a Nikko NR-1015 that is a very good 85 wpc receiver, and has a sweet, sensitive tuner. I like it enough to have it in a system, driving two pair of speaker systems, the Advent utility and Marantz DS-900. It just laughs at the ohm load.
JoZmo, I don't know, but I have read a fair bit here on Nikko gear, and I've been one to post whenever a Nikko thread pops up.
Mine is pretty dang good-looking, too. Closest to mint of all of my gear.

guiller
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi,

My personal experience with Nikko stuff is excellent. I bought 6 years ago an Alpha 220 power amp to replace my Nakamicho 420 and since them Ive been amazed by it clean and natural sound. Since then I added a Beta 20 preamp and Im happy and satisfied with them. My main interest is classical music and not high-end Hi-Fi per se (i.e., I m enthusiastic about it but I see it as a means rather than an end, and try to keep my feet on solid grounds of a middle-class professional employee) and, therefore, preffer to spend my limited budgets in acquiring recorded material (CDs, open reels, LPs, cassettes).

All the best

gearhound
01-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I bought a Nikko 5055 receiver for $10 at a yard sale.
IMO, Nikko's are well built and decent sounding.
I'd rate them right up there with Sherwood, Kenwood, Onkyo, etc.
Steve

lasminit2
01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I have only owned one Nikko piece, an analog Gamma One Tuner (late Seventies) picked up for $40 at a local Pawn. The black finish is very high quality, and the milled metal knobs have a good solid feel. I have owned lots of "Great" tuners that weren't so great until Terry DeWick or Merrylander performed an alignment on them. This tuner was a major exception! Hooked up to a Fanfare FM-2G antenna, it outperforms my Pioner TX-9500II, Sansui TU-717, Yamaha CT-1010 and Kenwood KT-7500. It is on a par sonically with an unmodified KT-8300 and a very sweet sounding Yamaha CT-800. Now for the tickler: all of the other tuners listed were aligned recently. The danged Nikko is fresh out of the pawn shop! Oh, there was a BUG in it. Literally. I had to pull the front panel and tuning glass to remove a fossilized lightning bug. The damn thing sounds fantastic (the tuner, not the lightning bug).

Actually, I have one tiny complaint: the built in Rack Ears make it kind of an odd width. However, if you place it on an a Sansui AU-717 with rack ears attached, it looks great. OK, that's my dimes worth! The rack ears are standard width, so it really looks nice on top of anything that has "ears". It is super solid as far as construction, and the parts selection, layout and shielding appear to be top notch. This was, after all, in competition with separates from some some pretty fine companies, and it looks did a fine job. What they didn't have was an unlimited advertising budget.

Robisme
01-25-2007, 02:21 AM
The one piece of gear I regret getting rid of. One of the best tuners I have had.

Rob

rickon66
01-25-2007, 09:44 AM
I have a NR-1019 and like it very much. I like it so much and it is in such pristine shape that I had custom black walnut end caps made for it. It is well built and has a very beefy transformer for a 60-70 WPC receiver. It's tuner is top notch also.

MattFLA
01-25-2007, 10:35 AM
I have a lot of experience with Nikko.
IMO Nikko was as good if not BETTER than the major brands. In looks , sound and build the 75-80 Nikko was tops. Just like everybody else I have owned, repaired and even sold high end gear over the years. So stuff the flames. My ears tell me Nikko was excellent.

My Nikko system:
NT 790 tuner
NA 690 amp
NR 590 cassette
EQ I
NR 1019 receiver
NR 7050 receiver
..and a Nikko turntable (yes they made one!, very rare)

btw...the trade name 'Nikko Electronics' was sold to the Ashii corproartion the the early 80's. This company made junk. Don't know why Nikko got out of the home gear business but they still make electric toys and still one of the worlds largest ceramic manufactures. I think still they make ceramics dishes also!
In the 50's, 60's they were the largest ceramic company in the world.

MattFLA

tarior
01-25-2007, 12:39 PM
I have a Nikko NR 819 here, it sounds every bit as good, and tunes in FM just as well as any of the major manufacturer pieces I have, maybe even a little better than some.

onepixel
01-25-2007, 02:17 PM
wow...this thread is started 4 1/2 ago. Lots have changed.

I used to have a NR-719, I did a A/B test against a Marantz 2250B. The Nikko's phono section was considerably better sounding. The tuner was about average.

I still have a great little 501.

nikkofan
01-25-2007, 02:57 PM
One of my Best Tuners is the Nikko "Gamma V"
nikkofan

PeterFCassidy
01-25-2007, 03:51 PM
And not just because I owned one. . .

When I had to get it repaired after only 22 years of nearly non-stop service, the tech almost sneered. When he got it opened, though, he was duly impressed at the amp design, tuner design and the quality of the parts.

He was intrigued enough to suggest modifications, thinking the quality of the piece made it well worth it in terms of long-term enjoyment.

It sounds like Nikko had a messy history with some moments of inspired development. Some of their receivers and a number of their separates survive as testimony to the latter.

I recently picked up a Nikko tuner, the NT-950 - not their TOTL pieces - and it is stunning in its performance. Beautiful lower range, giving lush presentation of lower brass and string. Pulls in everything I know about in Eastern Massachusetts with a pair of Radio Shack rabbit ears.

Peter

Web Police
01-25-2007, 03:57 PM
While I can't speak about Nikko Receivers, I do own some Nikko separates and they are very nice sounding and have very good build quality. I have owned the three pieces (Power Amp, Pre-amp, & tuner) since new. I bought them as NOS in the Early 1990's and they still perform flawless to this date. :yes:

bolly
01-25-2007, 04:24 PM
STA-9090!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/gregbolly/nikkosta-9090.jpg

Chrisssssssss
01-27-2007, 01:41 AM
I grew up with the sound of a nikko alpha 220 (i think) silver face with the analog power meters with the matching beta pre/ gamma tuner mated to a pair of 901 III's. This system rocked the house and I abused it daily for many years until I moved out of my dad's house. Now younger brother kept on abusing for many more it until the foam surrounds were completely disintregrated on those 901's. Dad got the 901's replaced a couple of years ago with the brand new models (VI's) from Bose with a trade in plan. Those Nikko's continue to put a hurt out on the new 901's. I make sure of that when I get the chance. If not me, then my bro will be sure to take my share abusing that system.

I wonder who would abuse the system more... me with the likes of Aldo Nova's "Fantasy" or him with the likes of 50 Cent "In Da Club" ?

Hmmm...

All I know is that Nikko abuses those 901's just as hard as we abuse it. My parents were at work one day and when I was visiting, I went into the attic and pulled out the Dual 721 Turntable (sporting a Shure V15 III) and found "Fantasy" . Still pushes those 901's around like a schoolyard bully on dodgeball day. Then I felt like I was "in Da Club" when he pressed play on the CD player. I think that we both got a deeper appreciation for each other's music... well, at least the stereo sounded good.

Nikko rocks in my books and I think that it has to be well built to put up with the abuse that I inflicted on it, never once been to the doctor. Well, only me... They call me "Sparky" ... Armed only with a screwdriver and a bottle of De-Oxit.

I thought that I would ad a :thmbsp: for Nikko from personal experience.

Cheers!

BTW: we call my brother "Smoky" ...

hmmm... poor Nikko...

or is that Poor 901's!

gearhound
01-27-2007, 05:31 AM
My sister's boyfriend at the time (late 70's) owned a stereo store in Annapolis, Maryland. He sold Nikko equipment...at least he'd TRY to sell Nikko!? He once told Nikko was a "tough" sell. That Nikko made very good audio gear, but did not have the name recognition of the major "players" of that time period. In order to make a sale, he literally had to drag a customer over to a Nikko, then cajole him/her into listening.....it was the sound, not the name that made the sale! People did not walk into his store and ask to buy Nikko...but they'd walk out with one, IF they heard it! Even then, he never sold them in any significant numbers....a real shame. On the other hand, that lack of name recognition works for US.....we can thank an ignorant buying public for supplying us with with Nikko's...on the CHEAP!!
Steve

bully
01-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I'll post again to say what a great sounding receiver the NR-1015 is!
85 watts per channel, I still play it and it gives me the grins and with the Nova 8B and Advent Loudspeaker makes my toes tap.

PeterFCassidy
02-17-2007, 07:12 PM
As soon as I heard the tuner on the receiver of the Legendary Nikko NR-1015, I was done. Wrapped it up and left and played it pretty much non-stop for 22 years. I have a Nikko tuner now that holds up the Legend very well. I have to get it out the office because sometimes I just have to stop to listen. Nikko, cut that out!

Peter

In order to make a sale, he literally had to drag a customer over to a Nikko, then cajole him/her into listening.....it was the sound, not the name that made the sale! People did not walk into his store and ask to buy Nikko...but they'd walk out with one, IF they heard it! Even then, he never sold them in any significant numbers....a real shame. On the other hand, that lack of name recognition works for US.....we can thank an ignorant buying public for supplying us with with Nikko's...on the CHEAP!!
Steve

tarior
02-18-2007, 01:04 AM
They are still WAY under the radar, and are a good value. The Nikko NR 819 sounds every bit as good or better than anything else in it's power class, and I've had ALOT of gear in the 45wpc range. As far as sound quality and tuner performance, it totally blows away the Marantz 2245 and 2250B that I had and is easily on par with my Pioneer SX 780, maybe a little better in the soundstage department.

EricC
02-18-2007, 11:05 AM
they did have a couple of nice TOTL Receivers (the NR-14xx for one)

-- Chris

Everything I have seen and read said the 1415 was much like the Kenwood elevens, a big empty box.

Carve it
02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I only have experience with the NR-1415 and it is in some respects a big empty box, but it manages 2 phonos, 2 tapes, an aux., speakers A-B-C and A+B and A+C, 5+3 gang tuning capacitor, and normal + narrow IF bands.
Somehow without the huge power supply, caps, and dozens of circuit boards, I find myself just listening to the music when it is on. BTW; it captures as many FM stations in stereo as any of it's peers and more than alot of separate tuners.
For the record again, those that think the auction sites prices are indicative of the quality of an item, are making some faulty assumptions and missing some great gear.

gusten
02-26-2007, 06:23 AM
NIKKO NR-1415.
Looks really good.

reggaenaut
02-26-2007, 08:43 AM
So far the feedback from the community: Nikko did good.

tarior
02-26-2007, 12:27 PM
That one looks pretty beefy.

hutson
03-05-2007, 11:35 AM
A Nikko NR-1415 Receiver (TOTL) went for $311 on Ebay this weekend. It looks like a very clean unit and not a bad price for 175 watts per channel!

These units seem to be fairly rare these days as I have only seen a few go up in the past year. (If anyone has one please chime in regarding performance, etc.)

My Nikko 9095 receiver continues to impress but from what I have read, the Nikko NR-1219 seems to be the best unit that Nikko ever produced with more advanced circuitry than the 1415.

tcdriver
03-05-2007, 10:26 PM
This Nikko 501 was one of their earlier efforts. This is a great sounding little unit, with unusual styling. The front panel is stamped with white paint fill on a black background.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/xtcdriver/akakphoto/Nikko501front.jpg

SoCal Sam
03-05-2007, 10:33 PM
This Nikko 501 was one of their earlier efforts. This is a great sounding little unit, with unusual styling. The front panel is stamped with white paint fill on a black background.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/xtcdriver/akakphoto/Nikko501front.jpg
I've seen one of those in the metal. I think it has some interesting output transistors made of Germanium??

tarior
03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I LIKE the looks of that one!

olekjaer
09-10-2007, 04:35 PM
hi ...i bought a nikko 1415 from new in 1979 and it stopped working in 1997.i remember once i had it playing at a party where someone spilled some beer into it ...resulting in a burned of woofer and a black burned filter .. after that there was no signal on the left channal ....but the other kept on working. Later i found out the amp was still working ..... the contact in the relay protecting the amp had vaporised...i changed the relay and both channels were working . The nikko was all right as a cheap loudplaing amp ... it did not like speakers with less than 8 ohms of resistance .....i think i read a test once claiming no diff. in output if it was used with a speaker with a 4 ohms load - it had a plus minus 72 volts supply -but surely with a lack om amps.
When i bought it I was impressed by the clear sound .....
it replaced a dynaco st 400 - an accuphase e 202 and two sentec pa 8 - and what a replacemente - i gave up experimenting with electronic cross over - had a two times three way filter feeding two times 370 watts into gamma speakers - a 3 way system - producing unique sound -but electric noise from units in my house kept on killing my loudspeaker units and bank account -and after numerous attempts to eliminate the noise i gave up. With the nikko came a pair of jealvox sound monitors - 3 way hornspeakers - with a volume of 475 liters producing 96 dbs/1mtr at 0.22 watts - a somewhat primitive setup compared to what i was used to --- but i like to play very loud - so it worked for me for 6 years --- after that the nikko was used in the basement by the children .... the speakers were a bit too violent for the livingroom ....where i installed two nad 2200 two times 400 watts bridged feeding into a pair of dali - 8 ---- that was in 1988...that was all from now - (sorry if misspelling ..come from denmark)

BrocLuno
09-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I have two late 70's Nikko receivers (STA-8085, and NR-519), two integrated amps (NA-850, and TRM-800), and two tuners (NT-850, and FAM-400). Nothing TOTL. My limited experience with these is that the amps are nothing to be ashamed of, they work well, and sound good. The integrated amps appear to be well made and I like them. The tuners however, and tuner sections on the receivers are terrible, they do not work very well for me. In fact, out of all of the many pieces of gear in my collection, Nikko has the worst tuners, hands down! I have a goofy silver faced :banana: MCS :banana: receiver that tunes better than any of my Nikko tuners!

Hey there - I know most Nikko pieces are "better" than MCS. In fact I like Nikko stuff as it's usually good looking style wise.

I do agree that their tuners left a bit to be desired. But, I too have an MCS that will out tune a lot of my other receivers including a Yamaha and a Mitsu DA-r20. You just got run of the mill Nikko tuners and a GOOD MCS piece. It happens !!!!

marc
01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum. I would like to know if a NIKKO NR-1015
would be capable of handling a pair of 3 way acoustic suspension speakers with 12" woofers? They are not very efficient at about 88 db/watt. Any information would be appreciated.
Marc

tarior
01-29-2009, 11:43 PM
It should do just fine.
Welcome to AK!

Yankee Dog
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
would be capable of handling a pair of 3 way acoustic suspension speakers with 12" woofers? They are not very efficient at about 88 db/watt. Any information would be appreciated.
Marc

The NR-1015 will have plenty of power to run those speakers, power to spare. Enjoy the sound of that unit. It is a nice one. YD

Jovinyl
01-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Read good things about Nikko 3035 reciever. Have one hooked up with computer + Baby Advent II's :thmbsp:

BrocLuno
01-30-2009, 03:26 PM
So the OP's original question about no Nikko's here is sort of moot?

gklainer
02-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Marc

Hi Marc.

I have some Nikko vintage separates (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, EQ-1) and an NR-1015. That receiver will drive them with plenty to spare at 85w per channel. It is a very underrated unit and nice looking too:yes:

Enjoy !

Gary

gatorvrx
03-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm running my Martin Logan Montage speakers from a Nikko 1019. Love the sound, and the ML's love the power. Still looking for a 1219 though! Or even a 1015. :yes:

Yankee Dog
03-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Let's not talk about the Nikko's too much. Don't want to let the cat out of the bag and drive the prices up. YD

gatorvrx
03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Oh yeah I meant to say they are crap.....:D

Yankee Dog
03-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Yep! Total junk, every day when I sit down to listen to my 1015, I think, what crap. Every single day! And to think, someone gave me that 1015.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3336101855_d423c7d5e1.jpg

Ok, fine, I will take crap like that any time! YD

gklainer
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Yep! Total junk, every day when I sit down to listen to my 1015, I think, what crap. Every single day! And to think, someone gave me that 1015.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3336101855_d423c7d5e1.jpg

Ok, fine, I will take crap like that any time! YD

Hey YD.

Great looking NR-1015. I think Nikko is one of the biggest sleepers from the solid state days. I have a really nice NR-1015. That is a great receiver. It has a lot more head room then one would expect for 85W per channel. I have had an Alpha II, Gamma I, EQ-1 and Beta preamp since 78 and they all still perform flawlessly. I would like to find a nice NR-1415 at some point.

I own Marantz, Sansui, Sherwood and Pioneer TOTL receivers and the NR-1015 performs very well next to those guys. :yes:

Gary

SpeakerLabFan
04-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Here's a picture of an NR-815. It has a nice tuner and was very easy to replace lamps and access the pots.

but yeah, they're crap.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/speakerlabfan/Nikko003-1.jpg

tarior
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I have an NR 819, and it is an incredibly nice sounding little receiver.

yesfan2000
04-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Found it on Craigslist for $85.00 last summer.

dave

countryslim
09-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey YD.

Great looking NR-1015. I think Nikko is one of the biggest sleepers from the solid state days. I have a really nice NR-1015. That is a great receiver. It has a lot more head room then one would expect for 85W per channel. I have had an Alpha II, Gamma I, EQ-1 and Beta preamp since 78 and they all still perform flawlessly. I would like to find a nice NR-1415 at some point.

I own Marantz, Sansui, Sherwood and Pioneer TOTL receivers and the NR-1015 performs very well next to those guys. :yes:

Gary

Just recently I began buying up old cheap amps and receivers on ebay and one night I opened up a new ebay search for vintage receivers and the very first receiver ending soonest at 2 minutes left was a Nikko STA-7070, so by pure spontanious compulsion to add the name and stack it in my closet collection of cheap off brand electronics, I bid the only bid of $16.00 plus shipping. The owner listed a crack in the tuner face plate and a couple of broken speaker clips but said it otherwise worked fine. the case is a little rough here and there with some white house paint scattered in spots, so I wasn't expecting much cause I didn't pay much. I own three Pioneers, one is an SX-9000 reverb I love, three Yamaha's, a superscope, an old Lafayette with manual, my main is an RX-540 High Power I bought new in 1990 for $1,100, also a big wpc Sony Surround 5.1, A rare Gibbs Reverb in wood cab with manual, Three different Sears LXI Series that are REAL Sleepers (Fisher).. one is 570 watts total.. a Sharps 350 amp, got a Kenwood K-77 on its way, also a Scottkit 50 watt amp LR-160 coming, a cool old GE with wood cab and folding speakers coming, a Clean Sherwood S7100A, plus other odds and ends.. a vintage HK-2000 cassette deck, a Sansui 3110 Casstte deck, a TK 140U Kenwood, an old Technics and Pioneer Turntables with strobe tune.. a 20 band Yamaha EQ,14 band Pioneer EQ, a 20 band Realistic EQ..four digital Tuners.. Two Yam's, one Pioneer, one Technics, etc.. bla..bla..bla..

Anyway, I love music and electronics of all makes and jacking with the switches, knobs, sliders, speaker arrangements Bla..Bla..

Anyway, I have most of my gear set up in an old 40 ft Blue Bird Schoolie Bus conversion and I can't seem to walk past the Nikko without stopping to admire the sound and build Quality of such cheap junk that has obviously been abused..the tuner is superb, blue lights, nice signal meter, superb FILTERS, tone control, click stop pots, A, B, AB speaker selections, Plenty Power, Clean Bass and Treble, and if not flip one of the many filter toggles or loundness toggle, twist a knob... All old school type mixing, no EQ, but better in many ways.. I can jack with the sliders on an EQ intensely for hours and never get bored.. every song needs different settings and I get finger cramps..:thmbsp:

Needless to say, I'm insanely Impressed and if all Nikko Receivers are as Cheap Priced and dependably good as this old junk, I will try to own every model made by years end..:yes:

My life has new meaning now..:banana:

gklainer
09-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Just recently I began buying up old cheap amps and receivers on ebay and one night I opened up a new ebay search for vintage receivers and the very first receiver ending soonest at 2 minutes left was a Nikko STA-7070, so by pure spontanious compulsion to add the name and stack it in my closet collection of cheap off brand electronics, I bid the only bid of $16.00 plus shipping. The owner listed a crack in the tuner face plate and a couple of broken speaker clips but said it otherwise worked fine. the case is a little rough here and there with some white house paint scattered in spots, so I wasn't expecting much cause I didn't pay much. I own three Pioneers, one is an SX-9000 reverb I love, three Yamaha's, a superscope, an old Lafayette with manual, my main is an RX-540 High Power I bought new in 1990 for $1,100, also a big wpc Sony Surround 5.1, A rare Gibbs Reverb in wood cab with manual, Three different Sears LXI Series that are REAL Sleepers (Fisher).. one is 570 watts total.. a Sharps 350 amp, got a Kenwood K-77 on its way, also a Scottkit 50 watt amp LR-160 coming, a cool old GE with wood cab and folding speakers coming, a Clean Sherwood S7100A, plus other odds and ends.. a vintage HK-2000 cassette deck, a Sansui 3110 Casstte deck, a TK 140U Kenwood, an old Technics and Pioneer Turntables with strobe tune.. a 20 band Yamaha EQ,14 band Pioneer EQ, a 20 band Realistic EQ..four digital Tuners.. Two Yam's, one Pioneer, one Technics, etc.. bla..bla..bla..

Anyway, I love music and electronics of all makes and jacking with the switches, knobs, sliders, speaker arrangements Bla..Bla..

Anyway, I have most of my gear set up in an old 40 ft Blue Bird Schoolie Bus conversion and I can't seem to walk past the Nikko without stopping to admire the sound and build Quality of such cheap junk that has obviously been abused..the tuner is superb, blue lights, nice signal meter, superb FILTERS, tone control, click stop pots, A, B, AB speaker selections, Plenty Power, Clean Bass and Treble, and if not flip one of the many filter toggles or loundness toggle, twist a knob... All old school type mixing, no EQ, but better in many ways.. I can jack with the sliders on an EQ intensely for hours and never get bored.. every song needs different settings and I get finger cramps..:thmbsp:

Needless to say, I'm insanely Impressed and if all Nikko Receivers are as Cheap Priced and dependably good as this old junk, I will try to own every model made by years end..:yes:

My life has new meaning now..:banana:

Welcome to the world of Nikko Audio. Keep us updated with any "new" Nikko receivers you add to the collection. You should be able to find most of them for under 100 bucks on the auction sites.

Gary

eb2jim
09-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Late to the party, but I read this thread and thought I would add to it. A year or so ago I picked up a Nikko 2020 receiver off CL. It was a package with speakers and some other stuff. Considering I dumped the speakers and a tape deck in the Goodwill on the way home, I paid $15 for it. I bought it to use as a better bench rig, so I could hook up things and test them, fix them. I spent a half hour with some Fantastik, air, and contact cleaner, and the thing worked like a charm, and no noise. The receiver picks up FM just fine, and AM (a guy has got to hear the ball game) is pretty good. Maybe with a decent antenna even better. It sounds really nice, very fluffy and wide. Doesn't slam out the sound like my Sansui but much more round sounding compared to my NAD. I bought it because it was a good deal, cheap, and I remember them from Tech Hifi in Boston years ago. And it has that old school blue vibe. Having poked around a lot of stuff by now, I can say that this is not cheep stuff. It is on par with a lot of stuff like Onkyo, some Pioneer stuff - just a nice 70s Japanese receiver. There you go.

HokieVT
09-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I bought a Nikko NR-800 from a college student for $25. I cleaned it up and recalled a Nov 1981 High Fidelity magazine from storage at the college library. Nice writeup which described it as a very good midrange unit (50W per channel). I fired up Marshall Tucker's Carolina Dreams on the Sansui TT and it sounds pretty good.

EPI-Center
09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I got a Nikko Alpha II thrown in a package deal and hooked it up and was pretty shocked....it's very clean power and absolutely cranks

guiller
09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I got a Nikko Alpha II thrown in a package deal and hooked it up and was pretty shocked....it's very clean power and absolutely cranks

Nikko Alpha II is a great power amp! (Perhaps we are here slightly off-topic).

countryslim
09-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Welcome to the world of Nikko Audio. Keep us updated with any "new" Nikko receivers you add to the collection. You should be able to find most of them for under 100 bucks on the auction sites.

Gary

If shipping wasn't so expensive, I'd bid on many more .. I actually began to question my sanity as I browsed and enlarged the photos of the vintage annolog silverfaced HK's OnkeeYo's, MCS's, NAD's, Kenwood's, Pioneers, HH Scott's, Sansui's, Sony's, Realistic's and even the cool looking wood encased unheard of off brand makes that can be had for the price of a new walmart clock radio.. I want them all.. I can't explain it cause I'm usually a strong willed adult, but when I am looking at photo's of a clean well kept piece of art that is capable of personality, of directing my mood at the touch of a finger, it fairly deserves a closer study to see, hear and document its correlation to my life and its interaction with my other collected musical components....I get to thinking that perhaps what I'm looking at in the photo's is the missing link, the secret to a more complete existance, the ultimate of listening pleasure, a solved puzzle, an itch that no longer needs scratching .. I could go on and on and never quite explain this fixation .. maybe I need counceling, a shrink?

After all, all a man needs is one radio.. they are all the same, do the same thing.. no need to flip out over silly stuff.

However, it could be that I just need more money.. :yes:

mattx
09-26-2009, 03:48 PM
I just picked up a Vintage Nikko 1015, which is so fresh. It was promoted to the man cave right away while my twin powered harmon kardon got demoted to my bedroom which also demoted my jvc to the guestroom which demoted my yamaha to the garage.
My technics ex800 is still in the living room sweating it out along with my polks!What about all my others you ask? " its back to the flour mill pappy"

Wolverine
09-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I just picked up a Vintage Nikko 1015, which is so fresh. It was promoted to the man cave right away while my twin powered harmon kardon got demoted to my bedroom which also demoted my jvc to the guestroom which demoted my yamaha to the garage.
My technics ex800 is still in the living room sweating it out along with my polks!What about all my others you ask? " its back to the flour mill pappy"

Congrats! As you can see from this thread a sleeper brand. Very good tuner section.

1dinobeano
09-26-2009, 05:54 PM
I have a Nikko NT-990 turner, eaby won $10+ $15 ship ,I live in the Tn valley's ,the tuner attached to an indoor single 6ft. 300ohm wire & it works better than that! I was surprised!!! Just B.I.Now eaby Nikko HR-850 rec. have not recieved it ,but wondered about its over-all quality as an fair to great receiver? I will find out at a later date when I check the whole unit out from head to toe!! Nikko just like most vintage audio have there weak & strong years of EQ. productions along the way ! I am having a blast through ebay electronics/audio for being there,so I can buy & sell the better audio EQ. when I could not afford them in the past!!!! :music:

countryslim
09-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I have a Nikko NT-990 turner, eaby won $10+ $15 ship ,I live in the Tn valley's ,the tuner attached to an indoor single 6ft. 300ohm wire & it works better than that! I was surprised!!! Just B.I.Now eaby Nikko HR-850 rec. have not recieved it ,but wondered about its over-all quality as an fair to great receiver? I will find out at a later date when I check the whole unit out from head to toe!! Nikko just like most vintage audio have there weak & strong years of EQ. productions along the way ! I am having a blast through ebay electronics/audio for being there,so I can buy & sell the better audio EQ. when I could not afford them in the past!!!! :music:

I just bought my second Nikko, an STS-5050 and it sounds as good my STS-7070 I already have. I know these STS models are Prime Receivers, not sure about others.

hubaobao
12-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I won't try to convince anyone that Nikko is to be considered "high end", but I got a $35 TRM-750 at the bay and it is a clear upgrade from the Kenwoods I have been using. Sure, that might not be saying much, but it sounds quite good. As opposed to "dirt cheap", I call it a bargain.

just dave
12-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I had a friend with the gamma tuner and it pulled in stations really well. I also liked the styling of all there separates and receivers as well.

kzim229
12-25-2009, 02:24 AM
The first amp I bought with at least 200wpc was a Nikko Alpha 450.
Sounds great and is well made, with nice-looking LED meters.
My Gamma 40 tuner is also good, the best performing tuner in the house.
I think the Beta 20 pre I got to complete the set sounds fine, but since it has no remote control, I use a Yamaha CX2 instead.
(I had a Beta 50 pre that came with the Alpha 450, and it did not sound good, so I sold it.)
I also have some early Nikko receivers, more for the novelty factor than anything else.
Check Hadrian333's posts about Nikko history, elsewhere here on AK.
Here's a quote from one:
"Although I can't speak for the complete line of Nikko, I can say that during my tenure there, we have made some awesome products. The quality of the front panel metal extrusions and the metal enclosures were much beefier than the standard receivers of that era. The Alpha III MOSFET DC amp was only 80wpc but if you had efficient speakers, it was the cleanest amp you have ever heard. If you wanted more power, we had the Alpha VI, which was rated at 300wpc (for a measly $1400.!) that was great for driving speakers like the AR LST or the Bose 901's. Both amps had high slew rate and excellent square wave response while maintaining extremely low THD and TIM distortion. The Beta III had a direct coupled phono preamp coupled with its high speed circuitry. The Gamma V FM tuner had selectable IF bandwidth with amazing tuning accuracy. We also created the ATD1, which was Nikko's version of the Audio Pulse's and Advent's time delay processor. I also presented a white paper at the AES convention titled "Application of gyrators in graphic equalizers" for the development of the inductorless graphic equalizer called the EQ1. A little history behind the company:

Nikko started off as a circuit breaker manufacturer and their main customer was JNR (Japan National Railroad). The company chairman's daughter married a true audiophile and the chairman started the audio division to fulfill his son-in-law's interest. The son-in-law cared very little about marketability of the product and basically, it was his pet project to crank out audiophile type products. I certainly am not knocking the son-in-law because he truly had golden ears and he designed products like the Alpha V, which was a true class A 100 wpc power amp that sounded awesome but it was not marketable due to the insane price tag of the product. Because the revenue from the audio division was so small compared to the circuit breaker division, we were eventually phased out to consolidate Nikko's efforts in their main business. By the time we developed the 19 series (NR-1019, NR-1219, etc.), we could not compete against the giants like Marantz, Sony, and Pioneer who had an immense price/unit advantage over us. The strange thing about Japanese manufacturers in that era was that they were stolidly against outsourcing the manufacturing outside Japan. Perhaps, if we subcontracted the production to Taiwan like NAD did, we would have had a fighting chance for survival.
With warmest regards,
Tom Ishimoto
Northridge Electronics"

countryslim
12-25-2009, 09:36 PM
There is a NR 1015 on ebay right now that I'd like to have. BIN $125.00...

shnaggle
12-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Just came across an NR-1015. Anyone know the year(s) made?

gklainer
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Just came across an NR-1015. Anyone know the year(s) made?

Hey Shnaggle.

I don't have exact dates but they were built around the 1976-1978 time frame with the NR 19 series about 79-81. Some of the other AK'ers may know the exact dates.

The 15 series are my favorite group of Nikko receivers and the most stylish IMHO. I have an NR-1015 which is 85 wpc and it holds its own with some of the other monster receivers I have. Many Nikko enthuisasts will tell you the 1015 was the best sounding Nikko receiver made and even better sounding then the 1415 which was the TOTL and the only model above it prior to the 19 series. The prices are still under the radar although I see the Alpha/Beta/Gamma separates starting to go up. I see one on the bay for $125 or offer which isn't cheap for that receiver but is still a great value compared to what some of the other receivers are fetching these days.

Gary

mbartosi
01-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Not quite sure that you guys know it already, but NIKKO Hi-Fi RECEIVER R 850 comes from Poland :)
http://unitra.eu.org/node/367
I owned AT9100 many years ago (in the 80s last century) -- fine sound, but its SNR was somewhat low (48 dB on tape input, SNR increased greatly when one was using Tone Defeat switch).

ctad2
01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
My 1415

gklainer
01-12-2011, 01:46 PM
My 1415

Real nice looking NR-1415. One of the Monster receivers I would like to have in my collection that I'm still looking for. There aren't that many of them out there and they come up on CL and the Bay infrequently.

Gary

bluesky
01-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Don't know much about Nikko equipment but the blackfaces just have some really 'fine styling looks'. Seen them before when they were in the stores but never heard one. Just way too cool lookin gear. I'd love to hear a Nikko amp someday.

To me it would just be really nice to have a Nikko amp and tuner. Nice!

Live_Wire
01-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I can't remember the model I got from my neighbor, but it was a nice little receiver. I gave it to my grandmother because she didn't have a stereo for her records.

After I cleaned it up, it was working perfectly. Very nice sounding and pretty powerful for it's size. Kind of figured it to be a 15 WPC receiver.

jberenyi
10-15-2011, 09:44 AM
I had an 1019 for eons when I bought it new in the military. The parties this thing helped keep going were insane back in the early 80's. I even did huge dances with it at church. However, I always wanted the 1219 and eventually sold the 1019 locally. I now own a gorgeous NR-1219 I bought off ebay in amazing condition. So the legacy continues and no I don't imagine selling this baby off. Currently she is throwing immense power out to my vintage JBL L96 speakers. How I love these old receivers.

bluesky
10-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Nikko made some really nice quality amps and tuners back in the very early 70s. Real Nice. All the guys really liked them. But the big Japanese sales went to Sansui and Pioneer.

Very nice gear!!

jkcoondog3
10-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm gonna have to throw in my 2 cents. I own 2 nikkys and I love them both. You can just look at the knobs and gauge of metal and tell that they are well built. I have many other vintage receivers (pioneer, Yamaha,sansui and even a marantz and let me tell you that them nikkys hold their own. Just fixed the stereo on a nikky I got at TS for 7.99 STA-9090 and it sounds sweet I mean sweet. SOUNDS everything as good as my pioneer sx-939. So if there are those of you out there that have nikko gear and don't like them then please throw them my way. Never even heard of nikko until afew years back and let me tell you I am sold. MY 2 CENTS

greenstereo
11-21-2011, 01:05 AM
nikko sta-9090 receiver 65 watts per channel three sets speakers two tape outputs plus aux and phono great style and performance running with sansui lm-330,denon bookshelfs and boston runabouts with another pair of sansui s730 speakers as spares

Wolverine
11-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Thought I'd post here in just in case.......
My NR-815 that was used in my office suffered from a power surge when the hurrican came through. Seems to be deader than a door knob. Any ideas or is this thing a goner??

DiscoMojo
12-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Hi guys... recently came across a Nikko NR-815 for next to nothing... It sounded great for about 15 minutes... until i left the room ...when i returned it was dead.. could just be a fuse, but i was hoping to have some documentation before i dug into it... Looking for a service manual for it... Anyone know where i can find a digital copy of this? or will i have to go the e-bay / hard copy route? Thanks !

Rotel RX-1603
Rotel RA-1412
Kenwood KD550
.. and a buncha crappy speakers that need replaced

Naptown Rob
12-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi guys... recently came across a Nikko NR-815 for next to nothing... It sounded great for about 15 minutes... until i left the room ...when i returned it was dead.. could just be a fuse, but i was hoping to have some documentation before i dug into it... Looking for a service manual for it... Anyone know where i can find a digital copy of this? or will i have to go the e-bay / hard copy route? Thanks !

Rotel RX-1603
Rotel RA-1412
Kenwood KD550
.. and a buncha crappy speakers that need replaced

Hmmm. That may be the case - looks like Hifi Engine doesn't have it.

But they do seem to have a pretty good selection of manuals for Nikko integrated amps of the same period (NA-550, 850, etc), which may give you some insight.
FWIW, the Nikko amps I've tinkered with were pretty straightforward & adjustments were easy.

Brian
12-12-2014, 11:32 AM
I would suggest popping the cover and looking for fuses. Could be as simple as that. If so, then run and see if it has potential. If so, then spend the time, effort and, $ looking for the manual.