View Full Version : Can I still get parts for a Ampex Model 985

Wheelyca
07-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I have an Ampex 985 reel to reel/radio combination unit that was given to me recently. The radio worked fine but the tape deck didn't. I took it apart today and found out that the belts were broken. Can I still get parts for this or is it just a nice cabinet?

KentTeffeteller
07-14-2011, 08:16 PM
You are in luck most likely. Go to www.recordist.com/ampex. Click on Parts And Repair Sources and find John Warmack's contact information. He was the former director of the Ampex Consumer/Educational division service department in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. He has the Ampex consumer/educational spare parts inventory and most likely has what you need to get your machine functioning again. Good luck and Karma, let us know how you do and if there's questions, we're here to help.

krisjay
07-14-2011, 10:06 PM
I just got the 985 also, I to was wondering if I was just going to end up with a nice cabinet. Good to know there may be some hope for fixing this thing up.

Wheelyca
07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you Kent. I went to the link that you suggested and sent off an email concerning the parts I need to fix my Ampex 985. Hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running soon. When I got the machine a week ago I was also given a huge pile of prerecorded music from back in the fifties and sixties. I would really like to be able to play them. I was quite surprised that there are still parts out there for these things.

Dwartz
07-15-2011, 12:02 PM
The 985 is a pretty neat unit. I've never seen one from that series that wasn't just the tape deck.

krisjay
07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
I took off the face to look at things, now I can't figure out how to get the speed changer lever back on correctly. Damn.

goldear
07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I took off the face to look at things, now I can't figure out how to get the speed changer lever back on correctly. Damn.
One piece of advice that I would give to you: Get out your digital camera and take lots of pictures at every stage of disassembly. This can prove invaluable when putting machines back together.

krisjay
07-15-2011, 01:53 PM
I think it is good to go, until I messed up this speed changing lever. I think all it needed was a new fuse, why di dI have to touch it. Damn, damn, damn. If someone has access to a manual could you please help me get this lever back on right, I am sure it is simple but I am not to bright.

toxcrusadr
07-15-2011, 02:00 PM
OTOH there is probably a reason it blew the fuse. Like, leaky caps in the power supply. I would be doing a recap before firing it up.

krisjay
07-15-2011, 02:04 PM
There is no fuse, thats why I am at this belief, pretty simple guess,lol.

goldear
07-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I think it is good to go, until I messed up this speed changing lever. I think all it needed was a new fuse, why di dI have to touch it. Damn, damn, damn. If someone has access to a manual could you please help me get this lever back on right, I am sure it is simple but I am not to bright.
I'd try to help if I could, but my Dad's machine has been gone for 30 years. And the manual was lost long before that.

krisjay
07-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Well got it back together as best I could. Finally figured out how to get the speed lever back on. I won't mess with this anymore. This may become just a monument to never buy stuff that doesn't work, just because.

Wheelyca
07-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Hello Krisjay
I followed the links to the site that Kent mentioned above. There are manuals available for $14.00 through John Warmack, 7405 Lyons St. Morton Grove Il 60053 USA 847-965-7020 Email: apwarmack@att.net
I was able to get the belts I need through this site as well for $34.00 plus shipping, which isn't a bad price. I am looking forward to getting this machine up and running,.

Wheelyca
07-17-2011, 04:56 PM
According to John Warmack the original belts in the Ampex 985 were made out of polyurethane and if they were not used for any length of time they would become dry and break. The new belts are made out of neoprene, which are stronger and will last better. He also suggested using alcohol to clean parts, probably because it won't leave any residue.
I find it very interesting that there are people out there who love to tinker with these types of equipment and that there are still parts available.

krisjay
07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
It is a very cool machine, that much is true.