View Full Version : Admiral AM/FM Stereo Multiplex Console

BmWr75
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I picked this up today at the Habitat for Humanity store for $10. The kid there says it plays and sounds good. I bought it cause it has tubes inside. Here's some pictures before any clean up. I've not tried it yet.

When I got it home was pissed......no CD/iPod input. :D

Scott

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=297738&d=1315595632

BmWr75
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
The top needs to be refinished, but the wood on the sides and front looks good as is.

The EL84 tubes are branded Admiral, as are all the tubes in the console, but are marked Made in Holland. Amperex?????

The 12AU7 slot in the preamp had a 12AT7 installed instead.

Think I should give it a listen in this all original condition? I have a variac, but am pretty sure they played it at the Habitat store since the kid commented on how it sounded.

frankxbe
09-09-2011, 03:24 PM
if it has tape or aux inputs that will work edit see below

BmWr75
09-09-2011, 03:27 PM
If it has a tape or aux input usually on back that will work for CD. You will need an adapter for I Pod
You can get a simple 3.5 mm stereo to rca adapter almost anywhere that sells electronics likley even Wall Mart or Target .

I was just kidding about the AUX input. :yes:

frankxbe
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
gotcha I should have figured. nice looking set is that a Glaser Steers changer?
regards

BmWr75
09-09-2011, 03:40 PM
The only identification on the turntable is this model number - RC7F2G-31W.

frankxbe
09-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Looks like a Glaser Steers here is link to an AK thread and a video of an older model. A friend had one long ago in an Airline console and it would stop the platter when changing records.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40849
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io7R9jCkSiQ&feature=related
regards

orthophonic
09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Admiral made their own record changers, also known as Ensign.

robert1
09-09-2011, 08:17 PM
gotcha I should have figured. nice looking set is that a Glaser Steers changer?
regards

Nope, it's a V-M.

bean_counter
09-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I bought an earlier Admiral at a garage sale several years ago; it also had an SE EL84 amp. It was pretty trashed, so I gutted it for the amp; added a 2.5V fils tansformer and converted it into a SE 45 amp.

Best $140 (total) I ever spent in audio. Alas, my dog chewed up the output transformers. And no, it wasn't turned on.

BmWr75
09-09-2011, 09:26 PM
The wife just dared me into giving it a go. The radio and turntable are fully functional. Guess I'll refinish the top and recap the amp and preamp and keep it.

Anybody got a schematic for this one?

A27
09-09-2011, 10:16 PM
"..no CD/iPod input"

I bet you were really let down when it didn't have an "f" for facebook button.

I love it when people call it an ipod plug/jack. I do correct them on the spot with "It's an 1/8" mini plug/jack." But oh! now it works with an ipod they are double the price they used to be.

thorenstd124
09-09-2011, 11:23 PM
"..no CD/iPod input"

I love it when people call it an ipod plug/jack. I do correct them on the spot with "It's an 1/8" mini plug/jack." But oh! now it works with an ipod they are double the price they used to be.

Hey you could always rip out the changer,and replace it with an iPod dock!

Tom Bavis
09-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Amp and tuner schematic are in Sams folder 666-1. Don't have it though....

orthophonic
09-10-2011, 06:45 PM
It is not a VM changer, Admiral made their own, but they share some visual similarities
to VM.

Blast
09-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I haven't figured out how to get the preamp/tuner out of the cabinet yet. Am sure there are a couple of small value caps that need replacing there also.

What risk do you run (other than poor sonics) if you only recap the amp and speaker crossovers?

Not as much of a risk as if you were to omit the power supply and power amp. But, based on what you say you can bet someone at the thrift store already turned it on. Knowing that I would too, if I were in your shoes. Don't omit recapping the tuner/pre-amp.

That printed circuit board and that Compactron (is that a Compactron I see in a shield at the top left of the photo?) screams mid 60's build (gut feeling says '65-66), probably one of the last tube sets prior to SS.

Wow. Steam the towels. That power amp needs a shave! :no:

It seems like everyone's console's had some bastard way of removing the components. I see a couple of 1/4" heads on the tuner/pre-amp. Maybe those just release it from a frame. Look for a way to release the frame from the cabinet. Take the knobs off the top- they may be hidden underneath.

Brian

frankxbe
09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Here is a zenith lps -80 by VM looks similar maybe newer ? After looking a little more I found I was wrong about the Glaseer Steers thing.
http://www.acousticpsychos.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=21&pos=0
regards

analog addict
09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Correct, Amperex EL84s, and what looks like either RCAs or maybe Raytheon 12A*7's. I'd bring it up slow on the variac just to make yourself feel better about the caps. If you don't have a 12AU7, PM me and I'll send you one....

BmWr75
09-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I have a bunch of 12AU7s.....but am curious why someone put an Admiral branded 12AT7 in the 12AU7 socket. The gain on a 12AT7 is 60, while the gain on a 12AU7 is 19 according to this chart:

http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html

Already order the caps for the amp and probably already have the caps for the preamp/tuner in a box somewhere. So, plan to recap the amp, put a 12AU7 in the preamp and see what it sounds like before I tackle getting the preamp out of the cabinet.

orthophonic
09-13-2011, 05:42 AM
RC7 is the model number of the Admiral/Ensign Record changer. The earlier version was
an RC6. This was the ADM series earky 60's.
Later Admiral/Ensign changers were RC 400 and RC 500

BmWr75
09-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Recapped the amp and speaker crossovers today. Can't say it sounds any better, but haven't done any critical listening. Still need to recap the preamp/tuner......figured out how to get it out of the cabinet today.

It appears to me the weak link in the sound of this console has to be the speakers. Am pretty sure the two pairs of tweeters are cheap paper cones. The woofers might be OK sounding, but they are mounted on an open baffle, which probably severely limits how good they can sound.

Any cheap upgrade ideas in the speaker driver department?

BmWr75
09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I pulled the preamp/tuner from the console today to see what caps in it need to be replaced. It only has two tubular type caps: a 10 uF 300 VDC electrolytic and a nonpolar .022 uF 600 VDC.

I have the .022 cap on hand. But the closest I have to the 10 uF cap is a 20 uF 500 VDC Sprague Atom. The negative side of this cap is grounded to the chassis. My guess is the other side of the cap is connected to the power supply from the amp (at least the wire is coming from the amp umbilical plug). Would it be OK to go up +10 uF in this application to 20 uF?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=300743&d=1317071791

BmWr75
09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Up-sizing the cap worked in this instance. Just finished the refurbishment on this console.

Can't say it really sounds any different or better after being recapped and putting a 12AU7 in the slot where a 12AU7 goes (instead of the 12AT7 that was in it as found). As I said earlier, the speakers definitely seem to be the limiting factor. Need to try some external speakers to see if it sounds better.

thorenstd124
09-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Hey Guys,

I picked this up today at the Habitat for Humanity store for $10. The kid there says it plays and sounds good. I bought it cause it has tubes inside. Here's some pictures before any clean up. I've not tried it yet.

When I got it home was pissed......no CD/iPod input. :D

Scott

Those Habitat stores are interesting places.Just went to the one near me,and picked up the Philco in my sig.It was $20.00.They had a Zenith Allegro for $25.00. :thumbsdn:The store I went to,is half of a converted roller rink.They have a small thrift store section,and the rest is all used building materials,plumbing stuff,etc.

Blast
09-27-2011, 07:47 PM
No problem with 10uf over (might even be to its advantage). Any chance the woofers are out of phase?

coffee123
09-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Speakers a limiting factor, been there done that, lol. I had a thread on here about the same thing. I found it was weird my low end magnasonic open back mono console sounded better than the near top o the line stereo imperial with 2 15" woofers and horns. Long story short is you will never get amazing bass from these consoles because of the turntables and feedback. And im not talking about window rattling bass, but crisp tight firm bass, something that shapes it up nicely.

I took the old woofer out and hooked it to a signal generator, 100hz, the cone is movin like crazy, but its hardly makin any noise. It didnt really wanna produce those freq's that make the bass sound good. So I swapped it out with a new 15" woofer, that wasnt nearly efficient enough for the 15 watt amp, but a new woofer basically fixed the problems. My suggestion is to find the most efficient woofer you can get and start there. 95db or higher if you can. You have an EL84 amp, a little more stout than the PP6L6's driving the woofers in my imperial.

Horns tho are all in the eye of the beholder. Having gain control over them separately would be good if your gonna mix and match. The Bi amp in my maggie has a gain control for the horns, (its a stereo bi amp, PP woofers 15watts, SE horns, 5 watts, all 6L6) You can get em, and i think the maggie horns sound really sweet and require very little power, would be a nice combo with a good efficient woofer.

Sealing the speaker cabinet may help also, and treating the inside and porting....but your main issue is gonna start with the quality of the speaks
Mark

BmWr75
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I snipped the speaker wire leads today and wired up some eWave variants to the console amp today. Sounded a little better, but not great. This thing will never be Hi-Fi sounding in my opinion. So, rewired the original cabinet drivers, yanked the Amperex EL84s and replaced them with some cheaper tubes, and buttoned her back up.

She looks pretty and functions perfectly, but Hi-Fi she ain't. The wife and I need to decide whether to keep it as a decorator piece and pass it on to someone looking for a 1960s chic console.

BmWr75
09-29-2011, 03:01 PM
The top refinished nicely. Looks like oak I guess, not fine grained like walnut. But, I'm not a woodworker, so it could be any kind of wood. :scratch2:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=301276&stc=1&d=1317322801

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=301277&stc=1&d=1317322801

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=301278&stc=1&d=1317322801

audiodon
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM
My first hifi purchase was a solid state Admiral AM/FM receiver with Admiral speakers in an "acoustic labrynth". I bought it with paper route money about 1968 or '69.
I'd wanted to go to tech hifi, but my dad convinced me that his friend had a good sounding unit at his store.
Actually, it sounded quite good, with the caveat that the phono input only worked for a ceramic cartridge type turntable.
I used it for a couple of years and then upgraded. My dad kept the receiver, but I'd taken apart a speaker to learn what an acoustic labrynth was and how it worked. I still have drawings I must have done as a project in my drafting class.
Fast forward 40 years and I found the receiver under my dad's bed.
Within a few months I'd found a replacement pair of the original Admiral acoustic labrynth coaxial speakers on my local craigslist and I set it up as a garage system.
Actually, it still is pretty darned good sounding and has always been absolutely reliable.

Yes, those tubes look very amperex'ish.

Blast
09-30-2011, 08:46 AM
The top refinished nicely. Looks like oak I guess, not fine grained like walnut. But, I'm not a woodworker, so it could be any kind of wood. :scratch2:

It's a shame something that looks so nice can't sound that way... :no:

Brian

diddlybopper
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
I have an old Admiral Stereo demo record and it says they use dual channel amps? 2 mono's?

audiodon
09-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Do you have an outboard preamp or an integrated or receiver set up so you could try the pre part of the receiver with the amp?

BmWr75
09-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Does the Pope have some funny looking hats??!!

Yes I do.....but that is way down the To Do list at this time. Thanks for recommending it though, I will check out just the amp sometime.

kvflyer
09-30-2011, 06:21 PM
The top refinished nicely. Looks like oak I guess, not fine grained like walnut. But, I'm not a woodworker, so it could be any kind of wood. :scratch2:...

Sure looks like walnut to me and it is beautiful...

richardhumes
10-05-2012, 10:56 PM
does any know where to get the schematic diagrams of the admiral stereo that you guy are talking about would you? I want to redo all the components and maybe do some mods to it

richardhumes
10-05-2012, 11:25 PM
"..no CD/iPod input"

you joke about not having a ipod hook up i made i hook up for it sounds great nothing like hooking up new music with tube sound ahhhhhhh

BmWr75
10-06-2012, 07:44 AM
@tom bavis said in an earlier post "Amp and tuner schematic are in Sams folder 666-1".